ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana hasn’t scored less than 31* points in a game this season

IMO last years 3-9 Indiana team would be 5-1 or 4-2 vs this years Indiana schedule. Obviously not winning by the scores they are currently.

Nebraska would be 3-3 most likely with last years team against the schedule this season with our turnover prone team.
Illinois, Rutgers, Minn, Iowa, Wisc, etc would all be undefeated with that schedule. Probably CU too. Again, I give them credit for the point totals. But they have played as weak of a power-5 schedule as you can play. We've played three teams I believe will be bowling this year and beat 2 of them and lost to the other in OT. None of their opponents thus far will be bowling.

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
I think their offense is a good matchup for our defense. The 3-3--5 is in part designed to stop spread attacks. The question for me will be if we can get pressure on the QB and IF Gifford can hold up.
Yep. Gifford can't have a stinker against them. He was actually pretty good against RU, which was nice to see, as he has struggled this year. I think TW will have a good plan for them, just going to need a much better effort from the O. Need one of those games where we explode.

Yep. Gifford can't have a stinker against them. He was actually pretty good against RU, which was nice to see, as he has struggled this year. I think TW will have a good plan for them, just going to need a much better effort from the O. Need one of those games where we explode.
He had a really bad whiff in the first quarter that gave their RB the corner. He’s a good but not great player. He can’t make those kind of mistakes.

Reactions: leodisflowers
to piggyback, Northwestern was averaging 11.33 points per game against non-FCS opponents before dropping over double that on Indiana.

We should be able to put up at least 40 on them.
Have you seen our OC and his below average play calling? We will be lucky to score 28 again this season. I laugh.

Have you seen our OC and his below average play calling? We will be lucky to score 28 again this season. I laugh.
yeah, its honestly pretty disappointing at times.

however, a lot of the times I see the OL getting absolutely bullied so you have to wonder about the limitations that creates

yeah, its honestly pretty disappointing at times.

however, a lot of the times I see the OL getting absolutely bullied so you have to wonder about the limitations that creates

We’ve been playing with a 2nd half lead in every game. (Albeit not always large lead) I think this has affected the play calling to some degree. But I would like to see a little more aggression and creativity with our 2nd half play calling though.

i go back to what I wrote in another thread, how would Nebraska's record look with Indiana's schedule. And of course, how would Indiana's record look with Nebraska's schedule.

Indiana Schedule
TeamsRecordWinsWinsWinsWins
Florida International2-3~Central Michigan~Louisiana Tech
*Western Illinois2-3
AT UCLA1-4~Hawaii
Charlotte3-3*Gardner Webb~AT Rice~E. Carolina
Maryland3-2~UConnAT Virginia~Villanova
AT Northwestern2-3~Miami, OH~Eastern Illinois

Nebraska Schedule

TeamsRecordWinsWinsWinsWins
UTEP0-5
Colorado4-1*N. Dakota StAT Colorado StBaylorAT UCF
*Northern Iowa2-3*Valparaiso*AT St. Thomas
Illinois4-1*Eastern IllinoisKansas~Central MichiganAT Nebraska
AT Purdue1-4*Indiana St
Rutgers2-3*Howard~AkronAT Virginia TechWashington

~ Denotes an Group of 5 school
* Denotes an FCS school

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say if Nebraska and Indiana swapped schedules, Indiana's record would look very different.

Reactions: ADV1
Some random stats.

The highest ranked defense Indiana has played in 2024 is FIU at #69 (69, 77, 78, 95, & 110). Nebraska is #10 in total defense against FBS.

Nebraska has played 3 defenses ranked higher than their highest this season in Colorado, Rutgers, and Illinois.

Indiana has only played one offense that averages more yards than Nebraska in Maryland. 3 of their 6 offenses were ranked 115 or worse.

They are even in turnover margin against FBS competition. Their pass defense has given up 7 td’s with only 2 interceptions(Nebraska is 8/6)

They are one of the top teams in sacks. #17 against FBS, while Nebraska is #3 in FBS.

Indiana only gives up 3.8 tfl’s a game, Nebraska 5.4.
Great info.

We’ve been playing with a 2nd half lead in every game. (Albeit not always large lead) I think this has affected the play calling to some degree. But I would like to see a little more aggression and creativity with our 2nd half play calling though.
It felt like 2nd half field position caused some of the plays as well. What was more disappointing is that we seemed destined for 3 and outs inside our own 10 because of lack of movement forward.

Rutgers was averaging 32 pts a game vs FBS. Indiana is averaging 41. Rutgers also beat VaTech and a washington team that just beat Michigan. We will hold Indiana to 14 or maybe 21. We will be scoring at least 4 TDs.
I’m gonna feel a whole lot better about our team if we beat Indiana by more than seven points And we get at least four touchdowns from the offense

Indiana has a decent offense, take these stats fwiw.

Offensive stats vs. FBS opponents compared to their season defensive averages

Nortwestern Averages: 254 Passing and 93 Rushing on defense
Indiana had 380 passing and 149 rushing

UCLA averages 280 passing and 102 rushing on defense
Indiana had 307 passing and 123 rushing

Charlotte averages 252 passing and 182 rushing on defense
Indiana had 288 passing and 222 rushing

FIU averages 222 passing and 186 rushing on defense
Indiana had 180 passing and 234 rushing

Maryland averages 269 passing and 111 rushing on defense
Indiana had 289 passing and 112 rushing

Other than Northwestern, they really only average about what the defensive rating of the team they are playing averages.

Nebraska averages 188 passing yards and 84 rushing yards against.

On Defense vs seasonal averages of opponents offense(including FCS stats)

Northwestern averages 175 passing and 127 rushing on offense

Indiana gave up 243 passing and 93 rushing

UCLA avg 197 passing and 64 rushing on offense

Indiana gave up 142 passing and 96 rushing

Charlotte avg 233 passing and 118 rushing on offense

Indiana gave up 119 passing and 137 rushing

FIU avg 222 passing and 105 rushing

Indiana gave up 129 passing and 53 rushing

Maryland avg 304 passing and 146 rushing

Indiana gave up 289 passing and 112 rushing

Nebraska averages 244 passing and 136 rushing

I should have excluded FCS teams, but still clearly their defense seems to be the better part of their team. Once competition has ramped up they have started giving up more yardage though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT