ADVERTISEMENT

In what year did you become a die-hard Nebraska fan?

1965; when our family moved to Nebraska. It was painful to see our undefeated Huskers go down in defeat to Alabama in the Orange bowl. Can you believe we were undefeated that year before going to the Bowl game?

Remember it well. Also remember Nebraska wore white pants that night. They wore red pants start of the 1963 season against Minnesota and wore them till that night when wearing white jerseys.

I’d say after the day JFK was assassinated Nov 23 beating Oklahoma 29-20 and winning their first confernce title since 1941.

At the end of the 2002 season.

I paid a little attention to the Huskers before, but nothing like now. I was young and naive. That 7-7 finish, for whatever reason, made me want them to win and win bad.

I started following online on this site and others during that offseason and spent more time talking with college friends about them.

My first college roommate was a HUGE Husker fan and "T.O." fan. TO this. TO that. I hadn't been around someone that crazy about Nebraska before. I didn't get along with him, but that got me started watching games every week.

I was a teenager in the mid 90's and unfortunately I don't remember even watching more than a handful of games. :(

Sun Bowl 1969- dad had it on the tube. The following year I went with Dad, Grandpa, Uncle and Family friend- his son and I snuck in over the fence and sat in the endzone behind a chain link fence. Missed just a handful of home games in person since.

1991 Colorado game. I was 10 but remember all those snowballs being chucked at the field as we were kicking the game winning field goal. It just pissed me off to no end. I’ve been die hard ever since.

Born into it in the mid-60s. First memory is T-Day vs. OU. Went to College there, worked part-time for a year in the Athletic Dept. Left Nebraska the year we won our first title under T.O. Came back after his last title. So, I missed the most successful years we had game-wise. My only moan is the change in the fan base that happened during those years.

Reactions: bigboxes
1965; when our family moved to Nebraska. It was painful to see our undefeated Huskers go down in defeat to Alabama in the Orange bowl. Can you believe we were undefeated that year before going to the Bowl game?
My earliest remembrance is "The Game Of The Century" when Johnny the jet-Rogers "put em in the aisles" with that AMAZING punt return BUT I'm sure I was probably a fan a few years before that. Soooooo, lets call it 1968, when I was 8 years old.

1968. I remember sitting on my mom & dad's bedroom floor listening to Bremser call an OU win as Steve Owens ran wild. This also began my hatred for OU. And I vividly remember the '69 Sun Bowl blowout win over Georgia (I was 8), with Paul Rogers kicking like ... five field goals, or something.

I grew up in Lexington and lived down the street from Kiffins. Watched Monte(Jr.) and Mick Tinglehoff playing on the 1957 State Championship team. I was 6. So after that. Three generation ticket holders. Live in San Diego now.

My grandpa held season tickets since the 60s....I went to a few games with him if grandma didn't feel up to it...Remember watching him glued to the tube during away games. In 1988 I went with him to the first game I was kind of old enough to really follow and get into...Oklahoma State Nebraska....Shortly after I had to move to Arizona...Sportspage, pre season magazines, ESPN highlights and any game televised I was glued to...Grandma even sent me the Lincoln Journal Star sportspages....My mom flew my grand parents out to 3 Fiesta Bowls....I was hooked...

1991 Colorado game. I was 10 but remember all those snowballs being chucked at the field as we were kicking the game winning field goal. It just pissed me off to no end. I’ve been die hard ever since.

I was born in '79 and have always been a fan but that '91 game against the Buffs is for some reason one of the biggest games of my childhood. Maybe because they smoked us the 2 years prior and at my age I was only used to seeing the Huskers lose in conference to OK.
Colorado fans always had no class back then.

1970. 5 going on 6 years old. Granted easy to become a fan of a winning team. That's why so many millennials and what ever the younger than those are called today, wear caps etc other than the big Red and have no clue about tradition. I think that will soon change... preaching to the choir .

It was almost as good as watching TV listening to Lyle Bremser on the radio. Back then we were lucky to be on TV 2-3 times per year. But man, woman and child was Thanksgiving and New year's exciting

1983 at the Metrodome when I watched Nebraska score at will on Minnesota. That leaves a strong impression on a little one..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT