ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois Info

We have a handful of freshmen playing important spots, plus transfers like Dowdell…those guys aren’t burdened by the last 7 years like kids that have been here a few years are.
Just find it odd we score all the points in the first half and then hit the second half and nothing against nobodies. Come these bigger games they'll need to get TD a few times in the second half to secure wins.

Reactions: Zeke2005
Not sure I buy into “ NU does too much hitting during the week”. I believe they’ve been purposefully conservative in all three games on offense in the second half, while defense has seemed to maintain the same intensity all game long.
Right. I thought people used to complain that Frost never hit during practice, now we do it too much?

Just find it odd we score all the points in the first half and then hit the second half and nothing against nobodies. Come these bigger games they'll need to get TD a few times in the second half to secure wins.
I’m confident we’ll score more in the second half Friday night, but I doubt we’ll have a 3 score lead at halftime… but damn well hope so..

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Illinois plays a bit like the old KSU teams did. Minimize mistakes, and hope the other team loses so you can win, while limiting your own mistakes and making the other team drive the ball.

If you play a clean game against Illinois and have equal or more talent, you will win.
It’s pretty much every BiG TeN WeSt team in a nutshell. Some just do it better than others

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
Bert will be t
This is what Illinois games always look like to me. It's Illinois just doing enough to keep them in it for you to make a mistake.

They are also 116th in the country at 7+ tackles for loss a game on their offense. I think our defense is the difference with that statistic.

Nebraska is 1-3 vs Illinois over the last four games, including losing to Lovie Smith in 2020.

This is what Illinois games always look like to me. It's Illinois just doing enough to keep them in it for you to make a mistake.

They are also 116th in the country at 7+ tackles for loss a game on their offense. I think our defense is the difference with that statistic.
I agree, NorthWill, but don't underestimate Fat Boy Beilema. He is going to attack the 3-5-3 with the run game, like he did at Wisconsin and Arkansas. Hit or miss, don't underestimate Illinois, as Huskers are 1-3 in last four games.

That said, I hope the Huskers lay down the hammer and win by 24 points.

PS: "Bielema coached Wisconsin to victories in 17 of his first 18 games. That represents the third-best start to a head coaching career in Big Ten history." All Barry Alvarez' recruits.

I still think NU does too much hitting during the week, and come the 2nd half we are either petered out, our legs are getting shot, or we just can't maintain that physical toughness needed to have a chance to have a great year. It's gonna bite us in the ass before too much longer. They are good physically in the first half, then just kind of plateau in a slight downward direction. Doesn't seem to matter how many plays they are involved in.
BALDERDASH!

Signed,

Tom Osborne

BALDERDASH!

Signed,

Tom Osborne
I "think" Osborne teams only did 1's v 1's about once a week, but could be mistaken. In the event this team keeps coming up empty in the 2nd halves of games this year, what would be a logical explanation?

Are we being out schemed at halftime? Are our halftime adjustments being out countered by the other team's coaches? We have to be one of the lowest 2nd half scoring teams in the country, don't we?

Watched highlights from the Kansas game. I came away not impressed with Illinois or Kansas. It was a sloppy game. They WILL turn it over against us. Kansas QB sucks, doesn’t climb the pocket and stares down receivers. We will be able to run on them. I may bet an unhealthy amount on us at least winning and some on the spread. Should be a lock of the week to win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT