ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois Info

leodisflowers

Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
Has anyone watched them this year at all? I watched a little bit of the game with KU and it seems as they have a decent WR and similar to previous years Altmeyer is going to try and run against us. Their D seems solid and to me it feels like a better version of UNI coming in. We need to be much more ready to play in this one. Seemed to play a lot of guys in the box and we might be able to get them deep with Lloyd or Barney if we can protect DR. I think this is the first game DR is going to have some legit pressure on him and we will see how he does.

Has anyone watched them this year at all? I watched a little bit of the game with KU and it seems as they have a decent WR and similar to previous years Altmeyer is going to try and run against us. Their D seems solid and to me it feels like a better version of UNI coming in. We need to be much more ready to play in this one. Seemed to play a lot of guys in the box and we might be able to get them deep with Lloyd or Barney if we can protect DR. I think this is the first game DR is going to have some legit pressure on him and we will see how he does.
I seen quite a bit of their game last week and they don’t have the running game they had 2 years ago and they’ll rely more on the passing game.

I was impressed with their WR’s they were pretty athletic but their still not the passing team Colorado was..

Without question it will be a tougher test for our offense, we just need to not shot ourselves in the foot with some holding penalty after a big play..

They are in for rude awakening playing us at night..

I seen quite a bit of their game last week and they don’t have the running game they had 2 years ago and they’ll rely more on the passing game.

I was impressed with their WR’s they were pretty athletic but their still not the passing team Colorado was..

Without question it will be a tougher test for our offense, we just need to not shot ourselves in the foot with some holding penalty after a big play..
I hate playing QB's who can scramble. Always seems to be our Achilles. I know Rhule is a much better coach, but still scarred from watching QB's pick up big chunks. Last week that QB seemed to scramble well.

I tried to find a place to watch the Ill vs. Kansas game. It seems to me from the stats though that that game was decided by turnovers. Ill doesn't appear to have much of an offense, but possibly a strong defense. Based on watching the KU team in their two losses, I'm not sure their win over them means as much as it originally did.

What we need to do is learn how to score in the second half of the game. We seem to go flat in the second half.
Part of that is because we've been winning.

But they have no doubt failed to score on most early 2nd half possessions.

The UNI game is probably what the defense needed after playing CU and getting a tad overconfident. UNI played a tougher game by far than the score shows and moved the ball on us on the ground. The offense looked good but will be facing a Big 10 defense and will have to play good in every facet to win. Turnovers and penalties will matter a lot in this game. Need to clean up the penalties.

They are in for rude awakening playing us at night..
Weather could be a great equalizer

The UNI game is probably what the defense needed after playing CU and getting a tad overconfident. UNI played a tougher game by far than the score shows and moved the ball on us on the ground. The offense looked good but will be facing a Big 10 defense and will have to play good in every facet to win. Turnovers and penalties will matter a lot in this game. Need to clean up the penalties.
UNI had the best offensive line NU has seen all year. There were NFL scouts at the game to see how they performed against top D-Line talent.

CMU and KU were able to get to the Illinois QB.
Illinois QB can run and his throws can be erratic at times.
CMU and KU were able to move the ball.
CMU WRs dropped a lot of passes.
KU QB was sloppy but I had never watched him play before.
KU game was strange as it seemed like everyone on the field was waiting for someone else to do something.
Illinois defense is opportunistic.

UNI was a good game for Nebraska on many levels:
1) seeing a mobile QB
2) playing a lot of dudes
3) staying healthy
4) realizing they need to get up for every game

Bieliema has been around and knows the Big10 well. They have always given us a battle and this year will be no different. Their QB has been good and has good receivers to throw to, and the dude can run when he wants . Their defense is solid with some ball hawks. I think they match up well with us .

KU game was strange as it seemed like everyone on the field was waiting for someone else to do something.
This is what Illinois games always look like to me. It's Illinois just doing enough to keep them in it for you to make a mistake.

They are also 116th in the country at 7+ tackles for loss a game on their offense. I think our defense is the difference with that statistic.

Reactions: BleedRed78
This is what Illinois games always look like to me. It's Illinois just doing enough to keep them in it for you to make a mistake.

They are also 116th in the country at 7+ tackles for loss a game on their offense. I think our defense is the difference with that statistic.
Yeah if they don't get pressure DR could carve them up . I see him running a little and some TE action heating up.

CMU and KU were able to get to the Illinois QB.
Illinois QB can run and his throws can be erratic at times.
CMU and KU were able to move the ball.
CMU WRs dropped a lot of passes.
KU QB was sloppy but I had never watched him play before.

UNI was a good game for Nebraska on many levels:
1) seeing a mobile QB
2) playing a lot of dudes
3) staying healthy
4) realizing they need to get up for every game
As a program under Rhule, NU has been checking off some of the boxes along the way. I.E. taking care of the ball, scoring within the 2 minute warning, taking competive games and then winning comfortably.

Still a long way to go, but I believee #4 above is the biggest, they took UNI for granted after their big win against CU,and we're not good enough to just show up and beat people. I think NU is still a work in progress and Illinois will offer NU a chance to check off a couple more boxes.

I still think NU does too much hitting during the week, and come the 2nd half we are either petered out, our legs are getting shot, or we just can't maintain that physical toughness needed to have a chance to have a great year. It's gonna bite us in the ass before too much longer. They are good physically in the first half, then just kind of plateau in a slight downward direction. Doesn't seem to matter how many plays they are involved in.

I think once NU gets to their bye weeks, we will see an improved performance first game back each time. But, I could be wrong, I think they need to be physically freshened up.

As a program under Rhule, NU has been checking off some of the boxes along the way. I.E. taking care of the ball, scoring within the 2 minute warning, taking competive games and then winning comfortably.

Still a long way to go, but I believee #4 above is the biggest, they took UNI for granted after their big win against CU,and we're not good enough to just show up and beat people. I think NU is still a work in progress and Illinois will offer NU a chance to check off a couple more boxes.

I still think NU does too much hitting during the week, and come the 2nd half we are either petered out, our legs are getting shot, or we just can't maintain that physical toughness needed to have a chance to have a great year. It's gonna bite us in the ass before too much longer. They are good physically in the first half, then just kind of plateau in a slight downward direction. Doesn't seem to matter how many plays they are involved in.

I think once NU gets to their bye weeks, we will see an improved performance first game back each time. But, I could be wrong, I think they need to be physically freshened up.
Not sure I buy into “ NU does too much hitting during the week”. I believe they’ve been purposefully conservative in all three games on offense in the second half, while defense has seemed to maintain the same intensity all game long.

Just checked out an Illini board (Not rivals). Seems as if they think their D is way better than ours, but their OL has had some struggles. Also stated that KU ran all over them, but turned it over. Think they have 2 really good WR's and that their QB is hit or miss, but can run. Sounds like they rotate some backs.

• Haha
Not sure I buy into “ NU does too much hitting during the week”. I believe they’ve been purposefully conservative in all three games on offense in the second half, while defense has seemed to maintain the same intensity all game long.
Not trying to sell you anything. LOL It's just an opinion.
The time will come when NU is gonna have to start answering the bell in the 2nd half of games, there are teams on our schedule a lot better than the 3 we've played so far.
It's very doubtful how many games are left that NU will be in total control at halftime.

I think this will be a real competitive game, and I hope to see NU make strides in the 2nd half so we know they're capable of it. The tests are yet to come.

Last edited:
Just checked out an Illini board (Not rivals). Seems as if they think their D is way better than ours, but their OL has had some struggles. Also stated that KU ran all over them, but turned it over. Think they have 2 really good WR's and that their QB is hit or miss, but can run. Sounds like they rotate some backs.

Arrested Development No GIF

The time will come when NU is gonna have to start answering the bell in the 2nd half of games, there are teams on our schedule a lot better than the 3 we've played so far.
It's very doubtful how many games are left that NU will be in total control at halftime.

I think this will be a real competitive game, and I hope to see NU make strides in the 2nd half so we know they're capable of it. The tests are yet to come.
I agree with all of the above. I guess that I’m buying into the narrative that Rhule is saving are best for conference play.

So… they’re legit ruhtarted? Nobody with a triple digit IQ could possibly think they have the better defense.

So… they’re legit ruhtarted? Nobody with a triple digit IQ could possibly think they have the better defense.
I read their board and they were also confused how no one was impressed by their "blowout" of CMU 30-9. Said they controlled the whole game. FIU beat CMU 52-16.

Most seem to think Nebraska will win though and think the line is about right.

I’m not sure we took UNI for granted. I just think their O line’s size gave us trouble and I think the refs were letting them hold as much as they let Wisconsin does.

Reactions: Zeke2005
Interior of both lines is suspect. If KU would have continued to run the ball, they likely would have won. But there is enough talent at the skill positions to win, just not very confident that they will be able to get it done in Lincoln Friday.

I've only watched Illini highlights so they look damned good to me. 😂

Bieliema's a good coach. That concerns me the most. I'm anticipating a team that has a solid game plan and probably won't beat themselves with mistakes.
We beat them last year at their house and we got WAY better since. They seem a bit better, but not five star QB better lol. I'm confident but but cocky that we win fairly handily. Unless weather then yeah, equalizer gives anyone a puncher's chance.

We beat them last year at their house and we got WAY better since. They seem a bit better, but not five star QB better lol. I'm confident but but cocky that we win fairly handily. Unless weather then yeah, equalizer gives anyone a puncher's chance.
This team is different. If Frost was still here we would be 1-2 limping into conference play. I’ll take a 3-0 Husker team over a 3-0 Illinois team any day.

What we need to do is learn how to score in the second half of the game. We seem to go flat in the second half.

Gotta put four clean quarters together. Still haven't done that yet. Fans gotta remember these guys are still learning how to win. You don't just wake up over night from getting your ass kicked in for 7 years and remarkably know what it takes to win. It's a process and these guys are learning. Hopefully they figure it out sooner than later. I think the ceiling for this team is a bit higher than I initially thought.

Holla

I’m not sure we took UNI for granted. I just think their O line’s size gave us trouble and I think the refs were letting them hold as much as they let Wisconsin does.
We also played a lot of front 6 backups from the start. UNI had an excellent game plan.

Gotta put four clean quarters together. Still haven't done that yet. Fans gotta remember these guys are still learning how to win. You don't just wake up over night from getting your ass kicked in for 7 years and remarkably know what it takes to win. It's a process and these guys are learning. Hopefully they figure it out sooner than later. I think the ceiling for this team is a bit higher than I initially thought.

Holla
We have a handful of freshmen playing important spots, plus transfers like Dowdell…those guys aren’t burdened by the last 7 years like kids that have been here a few years are.

I read their board and they were also confused how no one was impressed by their "blowout" of CMU 30-9. Said they controlled the whole game. FIU beat CMU 52-16.

Most seem to think Nebraska will win though and think the line is about right.
Not sure what board you’ve been reading, but I don’t know any Illini fan that thinks blowing out CMU was a big deal, or that our D is better than yours. We have a good defensive backfield but a small line that can’t stop the run. You guys should run all over us. On offense, we have 2 really good receivers and Altmeyer has been fantastic, but like the D, our offensive line is too small and so we’ve struggled with the running game and protecting the QB. I fully expect a loss as do most Illini fans, but am hoping we keep it competitive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT