ADVERTISEMENT

If our Roster is so depleted why no JUCO's

Your expectations, you choose the year.

IMO, if Nebraska isn't there either this year or next, then MR is the wrong coach. If 4 years isn't enough time, than I don't know what is. Does Nebuchadnezzar coach football somewhere or something? Your turn...

IMO, if Nebraska isn't there either this year or next, then MR is the wrong coach. If 4 years isn't enough time, than I don't know what is. Does Nebuchadnezzar coach football somewhere or something? Your turn...

I have already stated that I don't think we get there this year. Wisconsin's schedule is favorable for them to get to the championship game, even if they lose to Nebraska. When the season is over I will address what things look like for next year. I am not a cut and dry this year or next or bust.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Your posts are archived and I sure didn't read any of what you claim.

Matter of fact, quite the opposite...

Coach Riley has an extremely good reputation as a coach and developer of talent, not to mention an honest upstanding guy. Nebraska also on the whole has a very good reputation for doing things the right way on a national level. There is a lot of synergy when you add these things together. Moving to a pro style offense I think is a good thing too. I guess what I am saying is, when you add these things together and start to build some momentum, there is a lot of potential for success for not only the program, but the players as well. Most recruits are not going to be intentionally reckless about their future decision and they will listen to others, parents & coaches alike. Having that type of reputation from both the coach and school, is a pretty compelling argument for a young person making life choices for their future

Doing "the right thing" (good old Nebraska way, right @Archie Graham? :D) isn't roster turnover, it's honoring the scholarships. Remember, "Neraska has a very good reputation" and "parents of recruits listen to others"...

I'm curious, where did you say what you claim? I'm interested in reading your 2015 thoughts.
Sure, you can cherry pick stuff.. anyone can.. how far back do the archives go?

Sure, you can cherry pick stuff.. anyone can.. how far back do the archives go?

Try again, I searched Riley with your handle and JUCO with your handle.

Results are results.

2 years which is before Riley's first season.

I'll sit patiently to see what you come up with. There's more damaging stuff tied to your name so....

Exactly, many on here said our talent level was horrible. If our level of talent was that bad, why did we redshirt so many freshmen during Riley's first couple years and why did we not recruit juco's to fill in the gaps?

Maybe Riley overestimated the talent level when he got here and that's on him. That's certainly forgivable if we continue to improve. Also, the talent level wasn't near as bad as people made it out to be. We've had some very good walk-ons the last few years and a few of them started over the scholarship players. I don't see how that's a bad thing, though many made it out to be.
This is spot on - I think people need to admit the players are not the total issue here. Riley brought his staff here and found several of them lacking. It was not just recruiting it was the whole package that got Banker and read fired. Yes he hired them but he has acted to correct that mistake and I applaud that.

This is spot on - I think people need to admit the players are not the total issue here. Riley brought his staff here and found several of them lacking. It was not just recruiting it was the whole package that got Banker and read fired. Yes he hired them but he has acted to correct that mistake and I applaud that.

I agree. But, do you honestly think he's going to be able to keep the "stud" recruiters? Aka coaches??? They'll be here and gone in 2 years like the others. They don't want to spend their life in the air when they can recruit in their 500 Mike radius.

I agree. But, do you honestly think he's going to be able to keep the "stud" recruiters? Aka coaches??? They'll be here and gone in 2 years like the others. They don't want to spend their life in the air when they can recruit in their 500 Mike radius.
I think there is more talent in the 500 miles radius than you are giving credit for. Misery is down Kansas has a coach that is 100 years old. Iowa is Iowa and Texas and OU are both on semi down cycles there is plenty of talent within 500 miles, We also need to quit evaluating talent based on rivals rankings. Not stating the staff does this but certainly the fan base

Reactions: timnsun
Those stud recruiters are getting paid as much here as anywhere else, aren't they? Promotions may take them away, but Riley has been very effective bringing in some top notch recruiters... if we lose these recruiters, we get some more that can get the job done.

And I don't think K Williams is going anywhere anytime soon after Nebraska had his back with the DUI... with the changes in staffing Riley has shown, I'm not as worried as you seem to be about who he brings in for recruiting.

Reactions: SnohomishRed
I think there is more talent in the 500 miles radius than you are giving credit for. Misery is down Kansas has a coach that is 100 years old. Iowa is Iowa and Texas and OU are both on semi down cycles there is plenty of talent within 500 miles

What? Kansas has a young coach and is killing it on the recruiting trail. Texas and Oklahoma just hired two of the best young coaches in America, and are both cleaning up in recruiting in their first year. But you're right Iowa is Iowa.

Those stud recruiters are getting paid as much here as anywhere else, aren't they? Promotions may take them away, but Riley has been very effective bringing in some top notch recruiters... if we lose these recruiters, we get some more that can get the job done.

And I don't think K Williams is going anywhere anytime soon after Nebraska had his back with the DUI... with the changes in staffing Riley has shown, I'm not as worried as you seem to be about who he brings in for recruiting.
Give a guy one million in Lincoln, Ne is much more that a guy making a million in Seattle ( or other parts of the country) We have enough money to make Lincoln a destination job for assistant coaches

Reactions: timnsun
What? Kansas has a young coach and is killing it on the recruiting trail. Texas and Oklahoma just hired two of the best young coaches in America, and are both cleaning up in recruiting in their first year. But you're right Iowa is Iowa.
sorry KSU I do not really count KU in football and the points stand on OU and Texas although I do like the coaching hires. As programs they are both down and both down along with the old dying Big12

foxtrot uniform charlie kilo yankee oscar uniform back

Last edited:
So taking JUCOs, any JUCOs, automatically solves depth problems?
o_O
Nothing automatically fixes problems. But I can tell you what doesn't fix problems, "not trying" doesn't fix problems.

The only spot I think we needed or need Jucos at is O-line

Nothing automatically fixes problems. But I can tell you what doesn't fix problems, "not trying" doesn't fix problems.

The only spot I think we needed or need Jucos at is O-line
And the coaches offered OLine targets to JUCOs, but they went elsewhere. It's not as if they weren't trying at all... they were being selective however.

Bill Snyder made a heck of a living using Jucos.

I still think MR should have started his system day 1, brought in Jucos where needed etc. Instead, he got a 2 year sandbagging operation and a paycheck.

I blame Eichorst though
Hell I think Bo Pelin's tenure here would have been cut in half if it weren't for JUCOs. The majority of his best players were juco guys. I think we should sign one of two a year for sure.

I have already stated that I don't think we get there this year. Wisconsin's schedule is favorable for them to get to the championship game, even if they lose to Nebraska. When the season is over I will address what things look like for next year. I am not a cut and dry this year or next or bust.
I agree. I could see Nebraska being Wisconsin's only loss in conference. We'll lose a minimum of 2 games in Big 10 play. We should be pretty damn good in 2018 but the schedule will be brutal. 2019 might be the year we finally break through?

I agree. I could see Nebraska being Wisconsin's only loss in conference. We'll lose a minimum of 2 games in Big 10 play. We should be pretty damn good in 2018 but the schedule will be brutal. 2019 might be the year we finally break through?

Here is my problem with looking forward and judging 2018 schedule before 2017 is even played.

Who saw the decline in Michigan St or Oregon. The rise of Colorado or Penn St. who knows how long Colorado will stay relevant. Once we progress through the season, we will get a better idea on how the offense and the defense are progressing. Nebraska could easily be significantly better than this year. 2018 may have 4-5 returning starters on the OLine, a returning starter at QB and RB. 2 or 3 contributing WR, 6 returning starters on defense, a few of more that played a ton. Never underestimate how much better players get with playing time.

Remember last year when most everyone had Wisconsin with 4 or 5 losses #5 LSU, at Mich St, at Michigan, Ohio St at Iowa, Nebraska. At Northwestern

Here is my problem with looking forward and judging 2018 schedule before 2017 is even played.

Who saw the decline in Michigan St or Oregon. The rise of Colorado or Penn St. who knows how long Colorado will stay relevant. Once we progress through the season, we will get a better idea on how the offense and the defense are progressing. Nebraska could easily be significantly better than this year. 2018 may have 4-5 returning starters on the OLine, a returning starter at QB and RB. 2 or 3 contributing WR, 6 returning starters on defense, a few of more that played a ton. Never underestimate how much better players get with playing time.

Remember last year when most everyone had Wisconsin with 4 or 5 losses #5 LSU, at Mich St, at Michigan, Ohio St at Iowa, Nebraska. At Northwestern
I have heard TO say on multiple occasions that you really don't know for sure what you have until the year is pretty will done. There are just too many variables. Of course he never played OU til Thanksgiving...Winking

Yes, because NU is paying them top dollar as position coaches.

If they desire to become coordinators that is another issue and also negates them being "full time" recruiters.

You miss my point. Hyperbole has its purposes in debate. And in pointing out that Riley did not follow a scorched earth policy I was trying to highlight that he was not in panic mode and decided to build a program for the long term. That explains why he only recruits a few JUCOs. It is not a profound point or in any way unique. But it is pertinent to the conversation.
Very good posts and the first half of Nikki's sets the stage well. What amazes me , with the AD on one side and / coach Pelini having poisoned the water and attempted to salt the earth - coach R had too hold this thing from imploding. He had to go with some prima donna the problems, or they would....

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I keep missing memos. Best I can tell some of you believe that you just have to say JUCO come to Nebraska the player no longer has a choice.
Just the best thing to be said; even great fans can seem troll like when they get this mindset. They only date tens and would be AA at any position, but have no eligibility. GBR

ADVERTISEMENT