ADVERTISEMENT

I haven't seen the spring game yet, but give me your honest thoughts..

My thought that Martinez looked good. But Gebbia didn't lose the position either. I think that Gebbia has a higher ceiling, especially if you want to throw the ball. Gebbia is just learning this offense. Imagine what he'll look like after a summer of reps.

Our other qb’s are just learning this offense as well. Gebbia isnt the only one who will benefit from here on out.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Hard to be too critical of the offense yesterday when our 2 stud receivers didn't even play. And we had a couple of starting OL out too.

Defense wasn't great, but didn't have Stoltenberg or Gifford either. I think Caleb Tannor could get quite a bit of playing time this year, especially if Breon isn't eligible.

Ok... I hope your right. But a team without a halfway decent kicker is f&cked. Forget scholarships for punters.... a great FG kicker is much more valuable imho. I hope that kicker we signed is the real deal

I could be wrong but I believe every part of the fg unit is new (snapper, holder, kicker). Pickering is a very good kicker.

I find it interesting to read these posts - Honus did not impress or he REALLY did impress. Everyone could tell the players were so much more fit through the jerseys and pads, and faster too. We seem to buy into the hype we have heard or read and that influences how we see the game.

I am not sure there is much to be learned by us fans watching this scrimmage. Some things were obvious to the most casual observer, Adrian is smooth on his feet, Gebbia has a nice arm but had his troubles with bobbles in shotgun. Bell has some obvious potential but he dances a bit too much sideways - the announcers even talked about that trait and it showed. Dixon is the real deal, getting him eligible will be a big help. Wilbon is heavier and looks good, Bradley could do well in this O with his cutback abilities. If you want pure straight ahead power, Ozigbo is the man. None of the RB's looked bad, a good group overall. Top WR's caught what they should have. Impressed with TE's make some difficult catches and even showed some wheels.

What I don't get is how anyone can make a comparison on our O against our D or vica-versa when so many have concerns about our D? The varsity should always look good compared to the JV and can be very deceiving. Just a guess but Frost said it would be "vanilla which I assume means on both sides of the ball.

This O does present some interesting looks. Players are crossing all over the place. On one play I saw two linemen pulling to the right and the play went left by design. I know that is nothing new as it takes away the keys from the LB's. It was just fun to see for a change.
This post is spot on. It seems like most people watching had their prior opinions reinforced by the spring game. The guys who liked Gebbia and thought he would win the starting job before the Spring Game thought he did great while others thought he was average. The same thing for Bell, Honas, etc.

The same thing with the players being faster I think is just rhetoric and people just saw what they wanted to see. I didn't think we looked any faster or had a higher level of play than we've had the last couple years. They only have had like 13 practices so far, so I think it's too much to expect things to drastically improve in that amount of time, but what I saw on Saturday was honestly a little underwhelming.

Reactions: Husker.Wed.
Tyjon Lindsey is going to be nightmare for defenses when he's in space..
This is another case of seeing two different things. There's no doubt Lindsey has good speed but when he does get in space he seems to waste it dancing around too much.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Gosh, people having different opinions on what they saw on the field. I mean, this has never happened before in the history of sports. How could something like this happen? How dare anyone talk about their feelings about what they saw?

We are coming off the worst coaching tenure most of us have ever seen. A tenure and the ones previous that have served to destroy this program and leave it a shell of its former self. Pardon the rest of us for being excited about finally seeing a staff that gets it and gets what is needed. So yah, some of us are gonna get all excited and talk about what we saw or think we saw.

I did, however notice, that a lot of the superior sounding posters couldn't help piping up with their own opinion. So you saw what you wanted to see as well.

HI EVERYBODY!

Things I noticed in the spring game:

1.) We won't be having QB problems for years. I don't actually care which one starts (Martinez looks like the star of the future, for sure, while Gebbia looks good with a slightly different skill set focused more on quick-release passing and quick short runs), I just want to lay points on teams mercilessly.

2.) We are very deep at RB and WR. Like, ridiculously deep.

3.) OL is going to need some improvement, but we have the talent in place to make a really good starting unit once everyone is healthy.

4.) D looks meaner, but is it normal that they were kind of getting gashed by the O?

My take-away was, this is going to be a very, very good team in 2019, probably one of the top 3 in the Big Ten. It's going to be a FUN team in 2018, where they will take their licks and show how much they can handle running a new system and building on lessons learned. If they can get to a bowl game, I'll be very happy.

The future looks really, really bright for Nebraska football!

GBR!

One thing that I liked was that Frost did not seem real pleased after the game. He was not about to sound all happy and giddy when it was obvious some things really need work.

Reactions: timnsun
One thing that I liked was that Frost did not seem real pleased after the game. He was not about to sound all happy and giddy when it was obvious some things really need work.
Well, to be fair, him and all the coaches have been saying that after most practices. It is easy to see what they are talking about after watching. Work in progress for sure. I am really happy to see everyone on the team buying into the process though. It is going to be fun to watch this group evolve. I really do hope for the best as some of these guys are on their 3rd staff now.

We aren't likely to win 10 games this season, but I am confident we will see a lot of improvement throughout fall camp and throughout the season. I bet we beat a team that nobody is expecting us to beat - either MI, WI, MSU, or OSU.

IMO, defenses in the B1G West are going to hate having to play against this offensive scheme.

IMO, Martinez eventually becomes the full-time starter at some point this season.

Get ready - there will be a few teams who decide a defensive player is injured at a crucial juncture in the game. That is how some of the slime combats a fast paced offense. Trust me, it will happen at some point.

Reactions: saluno22
Gosh, people having different opinions on what they saw on the field. I mean, this has never happened before in the history of sports. How could something like this happen? How dare anyone talk about their feelings about what they saw?

We are coming off the worst coaching tenure most of us have ever seen. A tenure and the ones previous that have served to destroy this program and leave it a shell of its former self. Pardon the rest of us for being excited about finally seeing a staff that gets it and gets what is needed. So yah, some of us are gonna get all excited and talk about what we saw or think we saw.

I did, however notice, that a lot of the superior sounding posters couldn't help piping up with their own opinion. So you saw what you wanted to see as well.
That was the whole point of my post is that people have different opinions even seeing the same thing. I never said my opinion was right and theirs was wrong. I've been both right and wrong about things plenty of times.

What I saw in the spring game is that many of our players that struggled in the past looked like our best players, and I didn't see a whole lot of new guys stand out. Coming off a 4-8 season, my initial reaction to those things I saw is concerning. But it could actually be just the opposite. Maybe with the new coaching staff those players that struggled in the past are finally getting the coaching they need to reach their potential and have a breakout year.

I'm excited as anyone about this staff and about this upcoming year. I've said multiple times I think this team goes at least 9-3 next year, and I still think that will happen even though I saw plenty to be concerned about after the spring game.

You aren't the only one, I agree with your assessment.
Gebbia has more upside with his arm - I just think given our issues in pass protection we'll be a run heavy team. Martinez is the best option with his legs of all the QBs. But if teams take that away and AM throws 40% completion rate ......yeah Gebbia might be the better answer.

Gebbia has more upside with his arm - I just think given our issues in pass protection we'll be a run heavy team. Martinez is the best option with his legs of all the QBs. But if teams take that away and AM throws 40% completion rate ......yeah Gebbia might be the better answer.

That's why I think both will play. It will depend on what kind of offense is more effective. In the long run, if AM can throw the ball, he'll be the man. Gebbia impressed me as a runner, but he's just not in the same league.

That's why I think both will play. It will depend on what kind of offense is more effective. In the long run, if AM can throw the ball, he'll be the man. Gebbia impressed me as a runner, but he's just not in the same league.

Well, imo AM is a far, far better runner than Gebbia being a better passer. But....SF knows what he's doing and we'll see!

Reactions: dinglefritz
Well, imo AM is a far, far better runner than Gebbia being a better passer. But....SF knows what he's doing and we'll see!
AM looked amazing running the ball. It was awesome to see. His passing was good as well. We have a problem that we haven’t had for awhile. We have 2-3 good QBs that could run this system well enough to move the chains and score some points. When was the last time we had something like this? Crouch and Newcombe? Maybe Martinez and Armstrong, but Martinez didn’t last long his senior season...

Nice problem to have.

AM looked amazing running the ball. It was awesome to see. His passing was good as well. We have a problem that we haven’t had for awhile. We have 2-3 good QBs that could run this system well enough to move the chains and score some points. When was the last time we had something like this? Crouch and Newcombe? Maybe Martinez and Armstrong, but Martinez didn’t last long his senior season...

Nice problem to have.

Absolutely sir! Yeah, TM being hurt his senior year hurt us badly. The dude was an awesome weapon when healthy. To bad our blackshirts were so marginal then.

But yes, it is indeed a great "problem" to have now. :)

After watching that game a few more times I think what impressed me most about Martinez was his play in the backfield. He was poised when the pocket held up and got the hell out of dodge when things started falling apart. He's very elusive and that would help mask line problems. Either way you swing it we're likely getting a freshman QB and we'll have to suffer through the growing pains of that. I thought bunch looked good early on in that game but I don't think he out performed Gebbia

After watching that game a few more times I think what impressed me most about Martinez was his play in the backfield. He was poised when the pocket held up and got the hell out of dodge when things started falling apart. He's very elusive and that would help mask line problems. Either way you swing it we're likely getting a freshman QB and we'll have to suffer through the growing pains of that. I thought bunch looked good early on in that game but I don't think he out performed Gebbia

Well, my blind guess is that considering that Bunch was with the white team he was pretty impressive. Much more than Gebbia imo. Did Gebbia even try to run the ball even once? He did look accurate throwing the ball though.

All three looked good to me. Especially Martinez but Gebbia & Bunch were impressive too. As someone mentioned it's a great "problem" to have. :)

Nice problem to have.
A lot of people were saying the same thing last year as well. I think we'll have one guy who ends up stepping up and playing really well, but I don't think we'll have 3 qb's capable of starting on any team in the big 10 like many people seem to think after spring games.

Well, my blind guess is that considering that Bunch was with the white team he was pretty impressive. Much more than Gebbia imo. Did Gebbia even try to run the ball even once? He did look accurate throwing the ball though.

All three looked good to me. Especially Martinez but Gebbia & Bunch were impressive too. As someone mentioned it's a great "problem" to have. :)
Yeah Gebbia ran the ball a couple times earlier in the game. He has decent speed. Certainly not the statue Lee was.

A lot of people were saying the same thing last year as well. I think we'll have one guy who ends up stepping up and playing really well, but I don't think we'll have 3 qb's capable of starting on any team in the big 10 like many people seem to think after spring games.
Oh I’m not saying we have 3 starters that could start anywhere else in the B1G. I was simply saying I feel pretty good with the backup if the starter goes down.

And you’re right, we were touting Lee, POB and Gebbia last year. Kind of forgot that somehow. I guess because it was the TL show from start to finish once the season began...

Few takes from watching most of it:

- We look slow. Not sure if it was the YouTube video, but I did not notice a lot of speed on the field.
- Martinez looks comfortable already. I thought Gebbia was a shoo-in to start, but Martinez looks game to compete for the starting job already. Has that first step that T-Magic also had.
- Bunch can throw a good ball. Put some nice air under a few throws and let his receiver make a play. May be right in the thick of things to start at QB.
- Gebbia going to need a pass-happy offense to take control at QB. Our run game and run-blocking will have to be horrific for him to operate at his best. He did not look as fast as I thought he would be.
- Peyton Newell looks like a tank out there. Guess he put on quite a few pounds.
- Lamar Jackson still prefers to submarine a guy with his shoulder instead of striking and wrapping up properly. We may have some problems at CB this year if someone doesn't step up.
- Lots of penalties. Very undisciplined play, which may be what Frost disliked the most about the game. Upside of the penalties is that a lot of them were from being aggressive and trying to get into the backfield quickly.
- Tight ends showed some stuff. May be a strength in the fall.
- Good to see guys like Daishon Neal and Alex Davis making plays. Gotta have them step up to be successful this year.

Reactions: oldjar07
Few takes from watching most of it:

- We look slow. Not sure if it was the YouTube video, but I did not notice a lot of speed on the field.
- Martinez looks comfortable already. I thought Gebbia was a shoo-in to start, but Martinez looks game to compete for the starting job already. Has that first step that T-Magic also had.
- Bunch can throw a good ball. Put some nice air under a few throws and let his receiver make a play. May be right in the thick of things to start at QB.
- Gebbia going to need a pass-happy offense to take control at QB. Our run game and run-blocking will have to be horrific for him to operate at his best. He did not look as fast as I thought he would be.
- Peyton Newell looks like a tank out there. Guess he put on quite a few pounds.
- Lamar Jackson still prefers to submarine a guy with his shoulder instead of striking and wrapping up properly. We may have some problems at CB this year if someone doesn't step up.
- Lots of penalties. Very undisciplined play, which may be what Frost disliked the most about the game. Upside of the penalties is that a lot of them were from being aggressive and trying to get into the backfield quickly.
- Tight ends showed some stuff. May be a strength in the fall.
- Good to see guys like Daishon Neal and Alex Davis making plays. Gotta have them step up to be successful this year.

To respond to a few of your points and share what I thought I saw from some of the players:

1.) Yeah, Martinez looks like a stud. Whether or not he's the starter in 2018, he obviously will be leading this team by 2019 or 2020. He has that special something that you see in a star college quarterback: he's big, he's fast, he makes good decisions, and he can throw in an above-average capacity. Oh, and he's only 18 and coming off of an injury. Dude is going to be a beast in the near future.

2.) I agree with your take on Gebbia, but I keep thinking of Mackenzie Milton when I watched him play. Small, squirrel-y, able to throw with a lightning-quick release, and able to scramble and run if necessary. I think he'll be a good QB, and I think folks saying he won't fit are vastly under-estimating his skills. He's not a big running tank the way Martinez looks to be, but he could definitely run an offense like this that hangs points on teams.

3.) We have soooo many options at WR, TE, and RB that I don't even think they merit discussion right now. This coaching staff has a ton of weapons to develop and they WILL use them to their fullest potential.

4.) I don't know what he did or how he did it, but Daishon Neal kept slipping by his blockers and harassing the QB's. That guy has definitely "taken the step" and moved up to a whole new level of play. I hope we use him regularly.

The only concerns I share with you are the penalties (there were kind of a lot, but you're right, they were mostly because the squads were shooting for speed and aggression and they're not 100% on top of that yet), and the defensive backfield, which seems to be the only unit where we seem thin and iffy.

Just my two cents!

To respond to a few of your points and share what I thought I saw from some of the players:

1.) Yeah, Martinez looks like a stud. Whether or not he's the starter in 2018, he obviously will be leading this team by 2019 or 2020. He has that special something that you see in a star college quarterback: he's big, he's fast, he makes good decisions, and he can throw in an above-average capacity. Oh, and he's only 18 and coming off of an injury. Dude is going to be a beast in the near future.

2.) I agree with your take on Gebbia, but I keep thinking of Mackenzie Milton when I watched him play. Small, squirrel-y, able to throw with a lightning-quick release, and able to scramble and run if necessary. I think he'll be a good QB, and I think folks saying he won't fit are vastly under-estimating his skills. He's not a big running tank the way Martinez looks to be, but he could definitely run an offense like this that hangs points on teams.

3.) We have soooo many options at WR, TE, and RB that I don't even think they merit discussion right now. This coaching staff has a ton of weapons to develop and they WILL use them to their fullest potential.

4.) I don't know what he did or how he did it, but Daishon Neal kept slipping by his blockers and harassing the QB's. That guy has definitely "taken the step" and moved up to a whole new level of play. I hope we use him regularly.

The only concerns I share with you are the penalties (there were kind of a lot, but you're right, they were mostly because the squads were shooting for speed and aggression and they're not 100% on top of that yet), and the defensive backfield, which seems to be the only unit where we seem thin and iffy.

Just my two cents!
Good post, especially your second point. As I recall, Milton wasn’t all that his freshman year... there was a learning curve. Once he got it down, he was lights out this last year.

Good post, especially your second point. As I recall, Milton wasn’t all that his freshman year... there was a learning curve. Once he got it down, he was lights out this last year.

That's what I had read, though I admit, I didn't watch any UCF football in 2016. Didn't he also split QB duties with Vedral and another guy? He wasn't named the official starter until one guy got injured, right?

That's what I had read, though I admit, I didn't watch any UCF football in 2016. Didn't he also split QB duties with Vedral and another guy? He wasn't named the official starter until one guy got injured, right?
Can’t really say, as I wasn’t paying close enough attention either. But it wasn’t Vedral as he was a true freshman last year.

I think the idea that we had 3 capable QBs going in to last year still is accurate. Our biggest issue was our O line coupled with blocking schemes and play selection. Yes Lee made some mistakes but at times his play was really good. Go back and watch some of those 2 minute drills. Then when POB was forced in to action, he generally played well enough to have gotten us a W IF we would have had a defense. Finally, I think everybody agrees that Gebbia could have run Riley's offense and maybe run it better than the other 2 guys. Fast forward to this year and IMO we have a similar situation with a 2 different QBs added to the mix. IF we struggle on offense this year, it won't all be on the QBs' shoulders IMO. It's going to be our O line. JMHO.

Can’t really say, as I wasn’t paying close enough attention either. But it wasn’t Vedral as he was a true freshman last year.
Milton I believe was QB #3. The first guy was replace pretty quickly. QB 2 may gotten hurt and then Milton took over and never relinquished the job.

The kicking game will be fine. Pickering will be the kicker (for XP and FG) ----he's just technically a better kicker than Frahm. I think the FG miss by Pickering had a snap/hold problem -- he still should have made it; but to use a golf analogy, he missed it on the "pro side" -- again, technically, he's sound.
I'm glad to hear this

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT