ADVERTISEMENT

I haven't seen the spring game yet, but give me your honest thoughts..

Bugeater

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
Surprise, AZ via North Platte
on everything! The game, the coaching, the players, what you took away from it. Try not to argue folks, it's just step one in the Frost era, a lot of work yet to be done. Thanks! N

IMO, it will be pretty easy to look where the attrition is going to happen. There were a few names that were never heard or got little playing time.

The running game under Frost is going to dominate games. They may not dominate games this season, but the ability to run the ball is going to be a lot better. Think back to TO dominating running attacks and that is what Frost is going to be doing but under a different system.

on everything! The game, the coaching, the players, what you took away from it. Try not to argue folks, it's just step one in the Frost era, a lot of work yet to be done. Thanks! N

The game
Fun game to watch. Some silly penalties of offsides/false starts. For some reason I didn't feel like the players treated 100% as a game as far as effort and play-making goes. Maybe some of that was just watching some 2nd, 3rd, 4th stringers at times and maybe that was all they have. Who knows.

the coaching
Frost stood behind the offense a lot just watching and then would talk to players after they made a play (or were just involved in it). He took the opportunity to coach from a different perspective. I didn't pay much attention to the assistants.

the players
They looked like they were having some fun. Of course you've got Wyatt Mazour treating this like its a national championship game when everyone else was treating it like it was a scrimmage... :D

what you took away from it.
I was not impressed with the production at times, but this was only like practice #14 of a new staff and system. It will be much better by the Akron game.

There is a lot of potential with this team, but I am not as gung-ho about 2018 as I was before watching this game, but I tend to drink way too much Kool-aid, so this reaction was probably expected. 2019 will be much better than 2018 and 2020 better yet, but now I am starting to align with the majority of those who have been beating the "give Frost time to change the culture" drum.

I really like Bell at RB and the receivers were good without the top two playing. Defense seems better at tackling and running to the ball but the offense was pretty vanilla as Frost said.

Sloppy mistakes which was expected but my main concern right now is the kicking game. Neither kicker was impressive. Hopefully someone steps up in the fall.

There is a lot of work ahead of us. The attitude and effort of the players was of a much higher level than last year. 12 practices is not enough for everything to sink in.

The air of the stadium was filled with excitement and anticipation. I didn’t pay a lot of attention to line play, maybe someone else can pipe up about that.

This staff is on to something though, you can see it in all the details.

Red team offense was 1st team. Defense was a mix across both, hard to really judge them. Lamar jackson was good. Honas was all over the place throwing himself about.

Bell was good at RB. All of our RBs look faster. Everyone looked faster. Mcquitty and tejon looked good.

Too early to pick and judge QB, but in my opinion: AMart was the best by a long margin, especially on the ground, but a good arm and good patience. Gebbia seemed nervous, a few bad passes. Bunch looks pretty darn good to me for a walk on. Can run and pass. Vedral out of his depth. Has a hard time seeing over the line. He looks really small out there.

We aren't likely to win 10 games this season, but I am confident we will see a lot of improvement throughout fall camp and throughout the season. I bet we beat a team that nobody is expecting us to beat - either MI, WI, MSU, or OSU.

IMO, defenses in the B1G West are going to hate having to play against this offensive scheme.

IMO, Martinez eventually becomes the full-time starter at some point this season.

Reactions: Bugeater
Once this offense figures out everything their running and going 100 Miles an hour, I would hate to have to defend this offense If I was an opponent on the other side.

Martinez is a great fit for the offense and his legs make him almost a sure fire starter. They have the guys to run the ball especially with Bell. I thought the 1st D settled down and played fairly well. WR/TE - we have good players - Morgan and JD will make offense explosive. Oline starters should be OK. I still think teams like Iowa and Wisc. that protect the ball and slam it at you will cause the D problems but we'll do a much better job matching scores with this offense. Martinez has the potential to be special - has good speed, moves and pocket awareness. Just a question of how good him arm can be - it was good today.

I'm not so sure Martinez won't be the starter from Game 1 actually. Offense looked good. Solid production from the TE's. Throw Morgan and JD out there and we should have some good weapons on that side of the ball. I'm still a bit worried about the defense. Hard to tell if we are tackling better with the green jerseys and all. 2018 will be tough, but super fun to watch as this program starts the process of it's resurrection.

I thought Linebacker M. Barry played like a beast today. That man was in on what seemed like every tackle in the first quarter and many more in the second quarter.

Bell looked really good and Wilbon looked much quicker as the two top rb's. Bradley played well when he was in. I have no understanding why Mazour doesn't see the field more.

We are stacked at WR and that has to be our deepest and most talented group. Lindsey looked really good but when he got his leg twisted I thought he was done, dodged a big bullet there.

The 1st string offensive line gave up 5 sacks. If Huskers have any hope for this year it is going to have to rest upon this group. The offense is very capable of scoring a lot of points but if this line doesn't get a lot better 6 wins is all we can expect.

DL is good, solid, and deep. Stille is a freaking stud. Mohammad Barry had the best day of anyone IMO. He was everywhere!

L. Jackson still a work in progress and even though he missed some tackles I saw him give good effort and take on the wr to try to get past them. I hope the corners improve and I believe they will.

Again, offense looks very good but they will never live up to their potential unless that line gets better. I feel for the O-line coach Austin, he isn't going to sleep much this summer. GO BIG RED.

Last edited:
Martinez is the future. Fits the offense better than the other QB's. Take 2 QB's this cycle that are athletic.

Offense is going to score a lot more under this system.
The real Martinez indeed stood up

There is a lot of work ahead of us. The attitude and effort of the players was of a much higher level than last year. 12 practices is not enough for everything to sink in.

The air of the stadium was filled with excitement and anticipation. I didn’t pay a lot of attention to line play, maybe someone else can pipe up about that.

Red team offense was 1st team. Defense was a mix across both, hard to really judge them. Lamar jackson was good. Honas was all over the place throwing himself about.

Bell was good at RB. All of our RBs look faster. Everyone looked faster. Mcquitty and tejon looked good.

Too early to pick and judge QB, but in my opinion: AMart was the best by a long margin, especially on the ground, but a good arm and good patience. Gebbia seemed nervous, a few bad passes. Bunch looks pretty darn good to me for a walk on. Can run and pass. Vedral out of his depth. Has a hard time seeing over the line. He looks really small out there.
I thought the line, fundamentally, was much improved. Saw some holes, pancake blocks, better footwork. The option plays still need work. Little bit tougher in "touch" football. Better effort overall from ol and missing two potential starters.

Kicking game is a head scratcher. This has nothing to do with change if offense or defense. One, two, kick. Granted one was a bad snap.

Better tackling and effort. Heading in the right direction. One thing about fast pace, takes a lot of the"look at me" stuff away.... which is good. Keeps players focused.

I thought Linebacker M. Barry played like a beast today. That man was in on what seemed like every tackle in the first quarter and many more in the second quarter.

Bell looked really good and Wilbon looked much quicker as the two top rb's. Bradley played well when he was in. I have no understanding why Mazour doesn't see the field more.

We are stacked at WR and that has to be our deepest and most talented group. Lindsey looked really good but when he got his leg twisted I thought he was done, dodged a big bullet there.

The 1st string offensive line gave up 5 sacks. If Huskers have any hope for this year it is going to have to rest upon this group. The offense is very capable of scoring a lot of points but if this line doesn't get a lot better 6 wins is all we can expect.

DL is good, solid, and deep. Stille is a freaking stud. Mohammad Barry had the best day of anyone IMO. He was everywhere!

L. Jackson still a work in progress and even though he missed some tackles I saw him give good effort and take on the wr to try to get past them. I hope the corners improve and I believe they will.

Again, offense looks very good but they will never live up to their potential unless that line gets better. I feel for the O-line coach (sorry having a brain cramp & cant remember his name) he isn't going to sleep much this summer. GO BIG RED.

Mazour has been injured much of his time in Lincoln

OL really needs Decker BAD

I really like Bell at RB and the receivers were good without the top two playing. Defense seems better at tackling and running to the ball but the offense was pretty vanilla as Frost said.

Sloppy mistakes which was expected but my main concern right now is the kicking game. Neither kicker was impressive. Hopefully someone steps up in the fall.

Agreed— kicker situation makes me extremely nervous....

If there is one thing I know it is this: you can't tell shit from the Spring game with regard to the overall quality of the team. If there are a lot of points scored what does it mean? Our defense sucks? Or our offense is explosive? Won't know until they play other teams.

Bingo!! It’s the same folks posting the same stuff after every spring game. And the results are what they are. When you’re playing against 3* players that aren’t that athletic what would you expect. OSU isn’t nervous

I'll venture to guess the following:
  • There are no holes too big to fix
  • QB play will be better this year
  • We can beat anybody on our schedule 'if'
Not saying any of those might not be true, but it is spring and I just washed my car.

Lamar Jackson was Good?? Didn't he get beat for the first touchdown by a walk on QB?

Martinez is smoooov. Clearly different from the others. Starter for years to come.

Defense swarms to the ball. Breon Dixon brings attitude.

With the kicking situation, take a page from Doug Pederson...go for two often.

Headed in the right direction, but hit the weight room hard. These guys need conditioning.

ill let the quarterback situation sort it's self out, in defense of gebbia he had a number of bad center snaps really disrupted the play. I still remember in 1992 Tony veland was a head of Tommy on the depth chart until he broke his collarbone. I won't disagree Martinez is a gifted athlete and bunch looked pretty good also. Just a reminder anyone remember Collin okofar wasn't he spring game MVP what were his career carries 10 never got higher than 4 string

Martinez is smoooov. Clearly different from the others. Starter for years to come.

Defense swarms to the ball. Breon Dixon brings attitude.

With the kicking situation, take a page from Doug Pederson...go for two often.

Headed in the right direction, but hit the weight room hard. These guys need conditioning.

Summer workouts will be interesting, hope the players bring everything they've got to carry into the fall. More rubber meets the road reality.

Overall they looked a lot better than I would have expected at this point in time - especially the QBs.

The game
Fun game to watch. Some silly penalties of offsides/false starts. For some reason I didn't feel like the players treated 100% as a game as far as effort and play-making goes. Maybe some of that was just watching some 2nd, 3rd, 4th stringers at times and maybe that was all they have. Who knows.

the coaching
Frost stood behind the offense a lot just watching and then would talk to players after they made a play (or were just involved in it). He took the opportunity to coach from a different perspective. I didn't pay much attention to the assistants.

the players
They looked like they were having some fun. Of course you've got Wyatt Mazour treating this like its a national championship game when everyone else was treating it like it was a scrimmage... :D

what you took away from it.
I was not impressed with the production at times, but this was only like practice #14 of a new staff and system. It will be much better by the Akron game.

There is a lot of potential with this team, but I am not as gung-ho about 2018 as I was before watching this game, but I tend to drink way too much Kool-aid, so this reaction was probably expected. 2019 will be much better than 2018 and 2020 better yet, but now I am starting to align with the majority of those who have been beating the "give Frost time to change the culture" drum.

Being pessimistic is the best approach to anything husker over the last 20 years but this was practice 14, and a large number of players missed time last week due to illness...it was just a month ago when the players were learning install on both sides...It would be better to compare this to the 2004, 2008, 2015 spring games, and I think in that light it was very good. Still even in the miracle situation at UCF, frost lost 6 games and got rolled a couple times in year one, and our schedule coming up is brutal. I think we are right on track but the track is going to be bumpy for a while.

Lamar Jackson was Good?? Didn't he get beat for the first touchdown by a walk on QB?
. Did you even watch the game? Bunch was great in the 1st half. His TD was also to the left side, opposite of jackson. Maybe he needed a magic carpet to get there? Or maybe you mean the play before with the offensive penalty? Two great tosses by bunch poor walk on that he is.

Nevermind jackson’s interception either. At any rate, I was speaking about his effort toward attacking play and some of his tackling, neither of which he had or did last year. By all means though, keep running our players down.

My thoughts are that it was a spring game and it's difficult to tell much, but Martinez looked good. Very Good for a true freshman, and those that thought Gebbia was a shoe-in for starter could very well be disappointed.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Went back and watched the spring game and focused on Will Honas. He is going to be very good for us. He is physical, a natural tackler, and can play good run defense. He will get everything down and wouldn't surprise me if he is starting this season.

Went back and watched the spring game and focused on Will Honas. He is going to be very good for us. He is physical, a natural tackler, and can play good run defense. He will get everything down and wouldn't surprise me if he is starting this season.
I didn't see the same from Honas. I don't think he really stood out from the other linebackers as much as I would have expected coming in. I've been hard on all these guys in the past, but guys like Barry, Young and Davis stood out more as our better linebackers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT