ADVERTISEMENT

I Formation

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
The only highpoint for me last night was the drive where we came out in I Formation. I damn near wet my pants out of nostalgic joy. But then it actually worked because it caught OSU completely by surprise. Too bad it ended with the interception... AMart layed a turd last night... but it was a drive I loved.

I hope this was not just Frost being cute and gimmicky. I think it would be a nice addition to our offense. I also like Martinez under center because Jurgens is flat out awful as a shotgun snapper.

The only highpoint for me last night was the drive where we came out in I Formation. I damn near wet my pants out of nostalgic joy. But then it actually worked because it caught OSU completely by surprise. Too bad it ended with the interception... AMart layed a turd last night... but it was a drive I loved.

I hope this was not just Frost being cute and gimmicky. I think it would be a nice addition to our offense. I also like Martinez under center because Jurgens is flat out awful as a shotgun snapper.

Oh yeah! Somehow, someway, HCSF has to completely turn around the Smiling Mike's fluff-ball mindset.

It must be tough knowing our coaching staff knows full well how horrible Jurgens center snaps are.....but oh boy, along with the rest of our OLine, his current options are looking to be thin as a sheet of paper.

I too would LOVE to see NU get a decent running game going but with what he has to go with now it's rough damn sledding. I guess we'll just have to keep slamming down those patience pills.

Our line may be better equipped to run block with AM under center vs. having to pass block or block on RPO plays five yards behind the LOS. It was strange seeing a fullback and the fullback trap. Ha!

Oh yeah! Somehow, someway, HCSF has to completely turn around the Smiling Mike's fluff-ball mindset.

It must be tough knowing our coaching staff knows full well how horrible Jurgens center snaps are.....but oh boy, along with the rest of our OLine, his current options are looking to be thin as a sheet of paper.

I too would LOVE to see NU get a decent running game going but with what he has to go with now it's rough damn sledding. I guess we'll just have to keep slamming down those patience pills.
I also hope we all stay 100,000% behind coach Frost. We all got our hopes up way too high for year two based on what he did at UCF. The train wreck he inherited is more than Riley. It goes back to the shit recruiting of Pelini’s last few years. Frost inherited a crap roster of third tier type players (and I don’t care what the recruiting rankings were. Many of our higher rated recruits were busts) and it will take four or five years to build this roster.

We are crap on both lines. People need to get out of their heads that all you have to do to “make” an elite lineman is get them in the weight room. They have to have native athletic ability as well. Frost gets this which is why he is so high on Jurgens. But it takes two or three years to season a lineman into elite status. Even Suh was very average until he was a junior. USC tossed him around like a rag doll in 2007. We need to recruit athletes with big frames out of high school and build them into lineman. That is what Iowa and Wisky do. That is what we used to do. And that is what Frost is trying to do again. Give him time people.

My only quibble with Frost is that he needs to set aside the bravado kind of talking.

Loved that I formation. More please.

The reality is we are farther away from where we want than what we have been led to believe or invented in our minds and expectations.

The I formation was really the only thing that worked last night. This is head scratching. Our line actually got holes and a push. Yes OSU was not expecting it.

In post game, Coach Frost said we need to play better and recruit better.

The reality is we are farther away from where we want than what we have been led to believe or invented in our minds and expectations.

The I formation was really the only thing that worked last night. This is head scratching. Our line actually got holes and a push. Yes OSU was not expecting it.

Heh......sooooooo true (including me). Very good post sir!

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I also hope we all stay 100,000% behind coach Frost. We all got our hopes up way too high for year two based on what he did at UCF. The train wreck he inherited is more than Riley. It goes back to the shit recruiting of Pelini’s last few years. Frost inherited a crap roster of third tier type players (and I don’t care what the recruiting rankings were. Many of our higher rated recruits were busts) and it will take four or five years to build this roster.

We are crap on both lines. People need to get out of their heads that all you have to do to “make” an elite lineman is get them in the weight room. They have to have native athletic ability as well. Frost gets this which is why he is so high on Jurgens. But it takes two or three years to season a lineman into elite status. Even Suh was very average until he was a junior. USC tossed him around like a rag doll in 2007. We need to recruit athletes with big frames out of high school and build them into lineman. That is what Iowa and Wisky do. That is what we used to do. And that is what Frost is trying to do again. Give him time people.

My only quibble with Frost is that he needs to set aside the bravado kind of talking.

Outstanding post!!! Well said!

I told my wife I don’t understand these offensive coordinators they get to cute, hell Ohio st had no answer to the I formation and running right at there speed. Maybe they would have adjusted but might not have. Should have kept running it instead of going back to the spread set

I told my wife I don’t understand these offensive coordinators they get to cute, hell Ohio st had no answer to the I formation and running right at there speed. Maybe they would have adjusted but might not have. Should have kept running it instead of going back to the spread set
The problem is that it isn't like we have a full play book at our disposal to run that the whole game. Frost put it in to change things up but we had a limited play selection. It mostly worked but the last couple of times we ran out of it, they pretty much had it defensed. I liked it if for no other reason than that it took some pressure off of AMart to make quick decisions with the D line in his face.

"Play better and recruit better." Whose responsibility is that?"

This brings up the question of strength and power vs finesse. Scott's system is one of finesse, yet lately he seems to want to dip his toe into the old power game.

I would be completely behind him if we switched to more of a power and strength type of program. We don't have the recruiting pool to get lots of finesse type of guys, but we can get enough of them, combined with a strong power game, that would produce good results.

I thought at one time, that was something Scott was talking about, in how he envisioned merging old school Nebraska with new wave concepts.

If he truly tilted things towards a more power running game, not just a token series or two, but really committed to doing that, we could scrap that aggressive defensive scheme, and start working on the formula that made us successful in the first place.

I would be all for that.

"Play better and recruit better." Whose responsibility is that?"

We're playing with mostly Riley and Cavanaugh recruits for our O line. You can't seriously expect a freshman center and walk on soph guard to hold up against OSU's D. Make no mistake, our BIGGEST problem last night was our O line. By the time Frost was named head coach, most of the O line recruiting was done. This freshman class is where things start getting fixed. It's going to take time to rebuild what was wrecked.

We're playing with mostly Riley and Cavanaugh recruits for our O line. You can't seriously expect a freshman center and walk on soph guard to hold up against OSU's D. Make no mistake, our BIGGEST problem last night was our O line. By the time Frost was named head coach, most of the O line recruiting was done. This freshman class is where things start getting fixed. It's going to take time to rebuild what was wrecked.

I also think we need to get better on the defensive side of the line too but that is another topic..

This brings up the question of strength and power vs finesse. Scott's system is one of finesse, yet lately he seems to want to dip his toe into the old power game.

I would be completely behind him if we switched to more of a power and strength type of program. We don't have the recruiting pool to get lots of finesse type of guys, but we can get enough of them, combined with a strong power game, that would produce good results.

I thought at one time, that was something Scott was talking about, in how he envisioned merging old school Nebraska with new wave concepts.

If he truly tilted things towards a more power running game, not just a token series or two, but really committed to doing that, we could scrap that aggressive defensive scheme, and start working on the formula that made us successful in the first place.

I would be all for that.

Damn well stated NikkiSixx......very good sir!!

I also think we need to get better on the defensive side of the line too but that is another topic..
Largely I was happy with how our D line played. Most of our issues was our linebackers last night on offense. Barry took himself out of multiple plays with bad fills. That and they picked up the few blitzes we threw at them very well. We played better on D the 2nd half. OSU was a very tough matchup for us. Tremendous speed and skill position players. QB who could absolutely torch you with his feet and had a very accurate arm. We didn't get enough pressure on him but I don't think anybody is going to this year. OSU has a great team.

Largely I was happy with how our D line played. Most of our issues was our linebackers last night on offense. Barry took himself out of multiple plays with bad fills. That and they picked up the few blitzes we threw at them very well. We played better on D the 2nd half. OSU was a very tough matchup for us. Tremendous speed and skill position players. QB who could absolutely torch you with his feet and had a very accurate arm. We didn't get enough pressure on him but I don't think anybody is going to this year. OSU has a great team.

We still didn’t have any pressure on the QB except for maybe one play.. Yes tOSU is one of the best teams in the country but moving forward we need to get better on both sides of the line in the future..

We're playing with mostly Riley and Cavanaugh recruits for our O line. You can't seriously expect a freshman center and walk on soph guard to hold up against OSU's D. Make no mistake, our BIGGEST problem last night was our O line. By the time Frost was named head coach, most of the O line recruiting was done. This freshman class is where things start getexcusesting fixed. It's going to take time to rebuild what was wrecked.
Excuses. Time to as has been said a thousand times on the board, "coach em up!"

You can't coach what you don't have. I don't care how you "coach em up" IF you don't have experience and talent there's a ceiling and that ceiling wasn't good enough to compete with a defense with as much talent as some NFL teams.
Double standard here. Loosing by 30 has been termed unexcusable since TO was running the program. It should still be not acceptable with Frost as the coach. Fielding a kickoff at the goal one and bring it out to start the game and then a block in the back..... Poor coaching.

Reactions: chipotlehusker

I would be all for that.

You don’t understand the Kelly system, the system starts with the physical inside zone play which is designed to move the defense and get to the 2nd level. Once that works you transition to the outside zone, counter and draw. Frost has expanded the Kelly system with more run concepts but we can’t execute the foundation which is the inside zone.

Double standard here. Loosing by 30 has been termed unexcusable since TO was running the program. It should still be not acceptable with Frost as the coach. Fielding a kickoff at the goal one and bring it out to start the game and then a block in the back..... Poor coaching.
Figure another Iowa troll!! The poster your bagging on has forgot more football than you’ll ever know. So piss off

Reactions: headcard
Ahhhh. so now it comes out. Are you a Callahan booster or is it Pelini? Maybe you're Pelini's kid? It all makes sense now. I couldn't figure out your angle but now I get it. Butt hurt supporter of a former coach. Get over it. Personally I think Callahan could have been successful at NU with a different defensive staff. Time to move on. The future is here we just need to give it time.

It’s not excusable to any team that wants to climb the mountain top but that doesn’t mean that getting your ass handed to ya never happens.

Osborne has had his ass handed to him before. So has Saban, Dabo, Urban, etc.

Being inexcusable does not prevent it from happening, especially when you’re playing the top teams in the country.

Reactions: headcard

I prefer to think it was not gimmicky but an understanding that against good teams, we need quick hitting plays.

I would love to know if HCSF had some pass plays installed from the I. ???

Agree, I said weeks ago that we needed to go under center to avoid the bad snaps. I didn't think we would actually do it however. Yes it worked pretty well. I think we get that score and the whole dynamic of the game changes. Martinez really killed us last night no doubt about it. Then we went away from it for the most part and go destroyed.

You don’t understand the Kelly system, the system starts with the physical inside zone play which is designed to move the defense and get to the 2nd level. Once that works you transition to the outside zone, counter and draw. Frost has expanded the Kelly system with more run concepts but we can’t execute the foundation which is the inside zone.
I think I understand it fine.. It's all predicated on a finesse system of play.. spreading out defenses and moving defenders to create openings.. the play you run is dependent on the formation shown to you pre-snap, meaning the defense dictates what the offense can do.

The power game I am talking about, doesn't necessarily look at keys and reads like this. There are things that happen with receivers to move linebackers and safeties out of windows, and the occasional pulling guard, but it's more of a power set where the line gets off the ball and blocks forward of the los, and can block downfield with no fear of being called on for a penalty, as could happen in a run/pass option.

I think you can run the RPO game if you have a lot of finesse players.. but sometimes it gets a little too cute trying to create matchups.

I prefer the power game where you just block the MF in front of you and go up field.

I would love to know if HCSF had some pass plays installed from the I. ???
I watched the post game presser today, and the way coach Frost responded to a question about future I formation stuff was interesting.. I interpreted it as yes, more was coming. Adrian was asked about it as well, and said I guess we shall see, and then smiled.

This would be welcome news I think.

I watched the post game presser today, and the way coach Frost responded to a question about future I formation stuff was interesting.. I interpreted it as yes, more was coming. Adrian was asked about it as well, and said I guess we shall see, and then smiled.

This would be welcome news I think.
Yes!

Well sir, I'm sure the vast majority of posters know full well we haven't run the ball with any consistent success in any inside zone (or at least so far).

So someone help me understand why more I formation is going to make players better all the sudden. It "appeared" we used the formation to run the basic trap with our FB and a little option look. Nothing long term so how in the world do we know if it would work long term. Teams would adjust quickly.

It's like the old diamond formation that had a couple nice plays and many opine for it's return. It had its time in the sun as a novel idea.

That's not to say the I won't work. Unfortunately we still need people to block, run routes and throw the ball.

Last edited:
So someone help me understand why more I formation is going to make players better all the sudden. It "appeared" we used the formation to run the basic trap with our FB and a little option look. Nothing long term so do how in the world do we know if it would work long term. Teams would adjust quickly.

It's like the old diamond formation that had a couple nice plays and many opine for it's return. It had its time in the sun as a novel idea.

That's not to say the I won't work. Unfortunately we still need people to block, run routes and throw the ball.
Killjoy. Way to kill my I formation buzz. ;)

I bet they add 10 plays to the I-form in practice this week. They’ll need it.

A well timed trap option and a pitch to Mo will go the distance easy. They need a power O and counter run as well as a couple RPO plays. It could be dangerous and a nice change of pace.

I’m about sick of our shotgun game. We do NOT have the OL to be efficient. Bad snaps and any good DE will crush our RT.

I bet they add 10 plays to the I-form in practice this week. They’ll need it.

A well timed trap option and a pitch to Mo will go the distance easy. They need a power O and counter run as well as a couple RPO plays. It could be dangerous and a nice change of pace.

I’m about sick of our shotgun game. We do NOT have the OL to be efficient. Bad snaps and any good DE will crush our RT.
I think Frost sees this too which is why he is experimenting with the I formation.

Reactions: c3o and Catch50
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT