ADVERTISEMENT

I don't envy the job ahead of Trev.

bomber89

Assistant Head Coach
Oct 12, 2004
Current state of men's athletics at UNL has to be at the lowest point since I have been alive in 50 years. No wonder why Moos wasn't around, being in charge of this mess would cause depression for any normal human being. Trev took the job because he loves UNL, and thank goodness for that because he has an enormous job ahead of him. Both football and basketball teams are at the lowest they have ever been when you judge it on the win/loss record. Both coaches have monster buy outs, and the university's athletic department had a 28 million dollar short fall last year. Talk about being behind the 8 ball. Who would of guessed that Fred would be leading the worst two years of Husker basketball in history. That is an accomplishment. Don't even get me started on Scott's record. Sick

On top of all that NIL is not what the big boys at UNL thought it was going to be, remember how they kept saying Nebraska was the leader in having a plan for the NIL before it took effect? Take that plan and file it in "File 13" and start over boys and girls. Hell, everything I have read says that a backup starter on the volleyball team is the leading revenue earning for Nebraska in terms of NIL. Epic lost opportunity here.

No matter how bad things get the fans are supporting the programs. Trev better figure out how to take that support and use it to change the culture for the two big men's programs at UNL. No state supports a single University like Nebraska does, no matter if we are winning or losing, the fans show up. I have no idea how Trev is going to right the ship for the football and basketball programs along with the NIL deficiencies. Things are at Defcon 4 and the fans need to see some progress in the men's teams. I don't envy his job and hope he gets it figured out because from this side it looks like crossing the Atlantic in a canoe.

I'm a eternal optimist and believe things come full circle for those that are patient. Now I admit my patience has been tested to the limit for nearly twenty years with something I love dearly and it hurts a lot to see something torn apart. I feel Trev Alberts was brought in to get this right and I believe he will it's just a matter of time. It sucks to be the brunt of jokes by the many talking heads but it will be sweet to diss them once we see this program turn around which I feel will be soon. jmo

perhaps true - but the last 4 years of football have likely made the donors/athletic department realize that being great or elite isn't necessary - mediocre or simply good will be acceptable

the stadium has been full regardless of record the last 4 years - even in a 1-8 conference campaign this last year

the last 4 years has set the bar so low that 7 - 10 wins with some regularity is good enough for Frost to be a lifer

the fan base may not hold celebratory parades - but they will be accepting of an Iowa or Iowa State level of success -

while we will always strive for championships like all athletic programs, the floor for what is acceptable has been considerably lowered over the last several years making Trevs job in some ways much easier

Last edited:
Current state of men's athletics at UNL has to be at the lowest point since I have been alive in 50 years. No wonder why Moos wasn't around, being in charge of this mess would cause depression for any normal human being. Trev took the job because he loves UNL, and thank goodness for that because he has an enormous job ahead of him. Both football and basketball teams are at the lowest they have ever been when you judge it on the win/loss record. Both coaches have monster buy outs, and the university's athletic department had a 28 million dollar short fall last year. Talk about being behind the 8 ball. Who would of guessed that Fred would be leading the worst two years of Husker basketball in history. That is an accomplishment. Don't even get me started on Scott's record. Sick

On top of all that NIL is not what the big boys at UNL thought it was going to be, remember how they kept saying Nebraska was the leader in having a plan for the NIL before it took effect? Take that plan and file it in "File 13" and start over boys and girls. Hell, everything I have read says that a backup starter on the volleyball team is the leading revenue earning for Nebraska in terms of NIL. Epic lost opportunity here.

No matter how bad things get the fans are supporting the programs. Trev better figure out how to take that support and use it to change the culture for the two big men's programs at UNL. No state supports a single University like Nebraska does, no matter if we are winning or losing, the fans show up. I have no idea how Trev is going to right the ship for the football and basketball programs along with the NIL deficiencies. Things are at Defcon 4 and the fans need to see some progress in the men's teams. I don't envy his job and hope he gets it figured out because from this side it looks like crossing the Atlantic in a canoe.
This is a depressing post bomber. It can be turned around, and fairly quickly at that....just takes good leadership. That has been lacking since Bob Devaney retired as AD and has included chancellors, presidents, ADs and coaches. Plus, the constant interference by a former legendary head coach who can't step away hasn't helped. The US Army got their asses kicked at Kasserine Pass in Feb 1943. With some changes in leadership and tactics they swept through Italy and invaded Europe 16 months later. The war in Europe was over in less than a year after that. And I submit overhauling the US Army was a lot more difficult than the mess in Lincoln. I'm not a sunshine pumper, but have faith Trev can get us on track in a few years.

Reactions: bomber89
I was in the camp that we should’ve moved on from Frost, but the staff changes and recent player additions have been quite positive. Regarding basketball, a player or 2 can make all the difference. Like another poster said, fortunes flip quickly with the right tweaks. “Started from the bottom.”

Reactions: JOHNNY N
Basketball has had some really bad losses this year but I also think with Trey and Wilhelm we probably beat, NC State, Ohio State, and Michigan State. Kansas State becomes more of a Toss Up then it was. Hard to say but we could just as easily be 9-7 right now. Not saying that is great but 9-7 with wins over 2 top 10 teams would look pretty good.

Reactions: moralvictories
perhaps true - but the last 4 years of football have likely made the donors/athletic department realize that being great or elite isn't necessary - mediocre or simply good will be acceptable

the last 4 years has set the bar so low that 7 - 10 wins with some regularity is good enough for Frost to be a lifer.

while we will always strive for championships like all athletic programs, the floor for what is acceptable has been considerably lowered over the last several years making Trevs job in some ways much easier
Since Devaney arrived till Eichorst fired Pelini the program won 9+ games except for 2 of Devaney, one year with Solich and 3 of the 4 years with Callahan..

9 wins has been the standard for the most part..SF would still be on the hot seat if he would have won 6-7 games his first 2 years it just works have been easier to except..

No question we have lowered our standards when the progam has had 7 losing seasons of the last 8 but I disagree with the boosters being content being mediocre or it isn’t necesscary…

It's a chicken/egg scenario with NIL right now I'm afraid. If basketball and football start winning and get competitive again, the stud players will have NIL opportunities go way up. They are all on losing/terrible squads= no one is jumping to sponsor players because they are not popular now.

Most in the state knew Crouch, Suh, Piatkowski, Lue, etc and could recognize them walking down the street. I'm not sure 90% of Nebraskans could name 2 players off the basketball or football teams right now, let alone recognize them on a TV commercial or ad.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
I envy Trev's job. Makes bank and goes home every night to a nice home and could retire tomorrow if he wanted. Sign me up.

Yeah, no kidding. Look at Shawn Eichorst, he was terrible but got paid a $1.7 million buyout to go away, and still landed a cushy administration job at Texas. Bill Moos got paid $3 million to go away and run his ranch. I'd gladly take a job where you get paid millions of dollars even if you fail.

Could not agree more. I am trying to be optimistic about football, but my god those two sports have been shit shows and fan support at some point is going to disappear

Basketball has had some really bad losses this year but I also think with Trey and Wilhelm we probably beat, NC State, Ohio State, and Michigan State. Kansas State becomes more of a Toss Up then it was. Hard to say but we could just as easily be 9-7 right now. Not saying that is great but 9-7 with wins over 2 top 10 teams would look pretty good.
This is the kind of rationalizing that has to stop, ewe've been hearing this in football for 4 years. JUST WIN

Reactions: DoubleJayAlum1
Lots of dreaming and rationalization occurring here.

This board was ga ga when Moos was hired and then with his immediate hires. He could do not wrong, lots of excuses for some of the public comments. He wasn't a Nebraska guy but he hired the coaches many people wanted and even coveted. He also went on to give them more access to things that would help them in recruiting and player development including a new building or two that may or may not make a difference when completed.

So people are "optimistic" and wiling to give it time. What does that look like? By almost any metric you want to use, both men's teams are worse, not getting better. Of course there is the eternal hope but good grief it has to be based on something, not just hope itself.

First, we have to quit living in the past, Devaney is gone, Tom is gone, Solich is gone, and we have what we have, the past is history, a barometer of how things were, not how things ARE. Frost was hailed as the guy from the glory days who knew the formula for success and added his own concoction to the mix but that hasn't worked.

Fans yearn for the good ole days of automatic bowl games and constantly seeing their team ranked in the top 5. That is ancient history and no longer relevant. I shake my head when this board gets excited about a player coming through the portal that never or hardly ever played for their current team but is already penciled in as a starter for the Huskers and is 3* legend that is suddenly going to shake up the team with their abilities.

Trev has a big job and I agree that I would not want to be him. He lives on campus and between events and games, my guess is he is hardly ever home. I can't even imagine what his schedule looks like. But, at the end of the day, these coaches have to find the formula for some success and then sustain it. For me, and just my opinion, we have got to do a much better job of coaching these players. Frost and Hoiberg have been given everything and it still is not getting done and we see the same results every game. There needs to be excessive heat on these guys, it comes with the territory but for crying out loud people, some on here will be ecstatic if we ever win 6 in football and get to the tidy bowl and even win a handful of BB games in the B1G. Falling to the bottom of the pit is easy, climbing out is a tremendous challenge and where are the signs of getting there?

I was in the camp that we should’ve moved on from Frost, but the staff changes and recent player additions have been quite positive. Regarding basketball, a player or 2 can make all the difference. Like another poster said, fortunes flip quickly with the right tweaks. “Started from the bottom.”
Check out what Fred’s past assistant at ISU is doing in his first year at ISU.

Could be a great opportunity for Trev! This program is in one of the worst depths in history (take a bow Scottie), but if Trev can turn it around, he will be a household name for generations.

Reactions: dinglefritz
FItuLRGXwAE-WC2

He made his bed, now he'll lie in it. If he couldn't mentor Hoiberg up to have his team mentally prepared for the season, that casts doubt if he can do the same thing with Frost.

Trev's main focus should just be on football. Once that is fixed, more money will come in and then he can deal with the other stuff.

Just let basketball be and focus on the cash cow first.

Reactions: jkeb
Since Devaney arrived till Eichorst fired Pelini the program won 9+ games except for 2 of Devaney, one year with Solich and 3 of the 4 years with Callahan..

9 wins has been the standard for the most part..SF would still be on the hot seat if he would have won 6-7 games his first 2 years it just works have been easier to except..

No question we have lowered our standards when the progam has had 7 losing seasons of the last 8 but I disagree with the boosters being content being mediocre or it isn’t necesscary…
9 was the standard when you played 11 games. lol

Come back to the Big 12. Be the true blue blood of the league. Win conference titles and get in the playoff. Lol I know that will never happen with the current construction of the B12 but I can only dream as an OKST fan that that would happen. Hopefully the B1G will eventually invite as. But idk

the stadium has been full regardless of record the last 4 years - even in a 1-8 conference campaign this last year

the last 4 years has set the bar so low that 7 - 10 wins with some regularity is good enough for Frost to be a lifer

the fan base may not hold celebratory parades - but they will be accepting of an Iowa or Iowa State level of success -

acceptable, na. amount of money being paid out. no to acceptable.

I would take Trev's job in a heartbeat. Frost and Hoiberg are making it easy for him. The standard is so low, success is a .500 record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT