ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers upset #1 Purdue 88-72

13-3 looks nice but 11 of those wins are at home. They need to win on the road if they want a shot making the tournament. 8 away games and they need to win at least 4 and continue to win at home.

EDIT… and stay healthy

I know it’s an unpopular opinion but cutting Doc loose was another good move. I know people love Doc but he’s not a great coach and he was a crappy recruiter.
This opinion, and I would consider it a fact, is so often overlooked. He had been a poor recruiter before getting to Lincoln, and should never be confused with being a good coach. But he could win a press conference which so many fans buy into. I would also add that Abdelmassih was brutal as well. Ultimately, Coach Hoiberg is responsible for those hires. Good for him to be willing to make those changes, even if there was pressure from the AD that may have been the motivation behind those changes.

What a game! The crowd is acting like they won the NCAA tournament. Wild crowd. Awesome!

GO BIG RED
Was there. It was freaking bananas. Every time you thought we couldn’t hit another big shot, we would drain one, and the place would explode. And even when PeeU went on its run, the crowd would get amped on D. What a kick ass performance.

Was there. It was freaking bananas. Every time you thought we couldn’t hit another big shot, we would drain one, and the place would explode. And even when PeeU went on its run, the crowd would get amped on D. What a kick ass performance.
First game I attended since the last time we beat Indiana (7?) years ago. It was a blast. Too bad weather and student schedules kept it from being a full house, but so much fun.

Reactions: T...Chafes
First game I attended since the last time we beat Indiana (7?) years ago. It was a blast. Too bad weather and student schedules kept it from being a full house, but so much fun.
Yeah, so many colleges have great games that happen over Xmas break, it kind of sucks. But still a great win for the Huskers.

No, there have been quite a few on here that have bashed.the hell out of him.
And well deserved. He was not building the program and his concocted teams looked awful. I never understood why someone with some success at the college lever acted and operated looking so disinterested.
I went to several games and he didn't even talk to the refs much less try to work them over and he rarely even talked to his own players.
Before we start building a 20 foot statue outside of Pinnacle maybe see if he has changed his outlook. A couple of hours on cold winter night does not make for a successful basketball program. They might go get embarrassed by Iowa this week. Than what does it all mean?
I have stated my fanship for this program had ended but I am glad for you hangers on that you got something worth coddling for a change.
As had been mentioned, back in 82 Nebraska went down to number one Missouri, in Columbia, and beat them without much drama. It was one of those broken clock scenarios. Nebraska seemed to match up well. Missouri was 19-0 but NU nearly beat them in Lincoln, losing by two, earlier in the conference season.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
And well deserved. He was not building the program and his concocted teams looked awful. I never understood why someone with some success at the college lever acted and operated looking so disinterested.
I went to several games and he didn't even talk to the refs much less try to work them over and he rarely even talked to his own players.
Before we start building a 20 foot statue outside of Pinnacle maybe see if he has changed his outlook. A couple of hours on cold winter night does not make for a successful basketball program. They might go get embarrassed by Iowa this week. Than what does it all mean?
I have stated my fanship for this program had ended but I am glad for you hangers on that you got something worth coddling for a change.
As had been mentioned, back in 82 Nebraska went down to number one Missouri, in Columbia, and beat them without much drama. It was one of those broken clock scenarios. Nebraska seemed to match up well. Missouri was 19-0 but NU nearly beat them in Lincoln, losing by two, earlier in the conference season.
A lot of us probably just come here for the daily updates on how you are no longer a fan of the program.

Absolutely captivating.

How cool! Snippets of that game, and the post game celebration, will be shown to every recruit that steps on campus - and YOU were there!

So last night, my wife says "are you going to watch YOUR game?"(She is a Jayhawk fan...her only flaw!!) and I said yeah...at least for a while...we will get killed....

Well, we hung around in the first half and then went off in the last minutes of the half to lead by 11, and I said "well, I'll watch until we melt down"...

Well, they came back and I'm getting tired and I said "well, maybe I'll go to bed...." but something made me stay...

wow...even up 12 with 2 to go, I thought "when will we 'Nebraska' again?

My wife goes."looks like people are leaving early....i said "au contraire...epic court storm coming!!!!"

Did Rhule REALLY storm the court?:)

I'm a bit older than most here but I remember listening to Fred Hare and the Huskers beating #1 ranked Michigan in December of '64 at the buzzer as Hare flipped the ball in backwards, over his head in the old Colosseum ....I used to go to many hoops games because my optometrist BN Greenberg was president of the Board and he got free tickets....but the ones I didn't attend, I listened to religiously...awesome...

I don't follow the wrestling program. I wish there were more wrestling threads, so I could jump into every last one of them and tell you all about my non-fandom.

Your wish is about to come true. Husker wrestlers take on I_owa in Lincoln on Friday. Hope they throw the Polar Bear in the lineup. Think it would be a good matchup against Cassioppi.

Reactions: schuele
Original thread deserved to be updated this morning after last night ‘s performance..

It's a miracle we got a coach with Hoiberg's resumé to coach this train-wreck of a program.

He messed up his first couple years here by letting Matt Abdelmassih do all of the recruiting and having too much influence. Once he got rid of that douche, things turned around.
I was talking to a lawyer I know from the East Coast last night. He was saying he knew Matt as a kid when he had Matt's dad as a client.

Has Nebrasketball ever beaten a #1 before?
I was wondering about that. The answer is not in the last 30 years, at least. Notable wins over Top 10 opponents:

1991-1992: Beat #2 Oklahoma State and #3 Kansas
1992-1993: Beat #3 Kansas
1993-1994: Beat #4 Missouri
1996-1997: Won at #7 Iowa State
2004-2005: Beat #4 Oklahoma State
2010-2011: Beat #3 Texas
2022-2023: Beat #7 Creighton
2023-2024: Defeated #1 Purdue

I was wondering about that. The answer is not in the last 30 years, at least. Notable wins over Top 10 opponents:

NU beat undefeated #1 Mizzou in Columbia in 1982.

I think Fred has figured it out to a certain extent. He has found a good mesh of players and has started to go away from the guys that just want to get points and that's it. The last two years the teams have been gritty, but more than anything they all play together. You can have a guy with an off night and still win as everyone contributes. That wasn't the case early on, but glad he has figured it out. I like the direction he is headed after he made the shift. This years team appears to be mentally tough and ready to roll. You are still going to have off nights, but so far this team just seems different.

Side note: Purdue beat 3 ranked teams on 3 consecutive days back in November (Gonzaga, Tennessee, Marquette - all 3 still ranked, BTW). I believe it was said at the time that no team had done that before.

13-3 looks nice but 11 of those wins are at home. They need to win on the road if they want a shot making the tournament. 8 away games and they need to win at least 4 and continue to win at home.

EDIT… and stay healthy

Dude, they are starting to stack up Quad 1 wins now, and will likely be favored in every remaining home game. If they won those last 7 home games and won 4 games on the road, you're not talking about a bubble team, you're talking about a team that will finish 14-6 in the league and a top 4 or 5 seed in the tournament.

Needless to say, they don't need to win 4 road games. IMO, they need to find 2 on the road to be safe.

More importantly, they need to avoid losing home games to the following teams:

- Minnesota
- Penn State
- Northwestern
- Michigan
- Rutgers

I think if they win those 6, find a way to knock of Ohio State and Wisconsin at home, they will absolutely have enough Quad 1 wins to secure a berth with a 1 or 2 on the road.

The good scheduling news for them the rest of the season is even road games at bad teams would only be a Quad 2 loss.

A lot of us probably just come here for the daily updates on how you are no longer a fan of the program.

Absolutely captivating.
That might be biting if you hadn't of posted that minutes after my post, and then posted again mocking my comments. You seem pretty captivated. I'll keep you updated junior.

The article I referenced earlier said that Michigan was #1 in December of 1964

B1G network put out a graphic that says this was our 4th all time win against a #1.
others were @ Mizzou in '82, Michigan in '69 and K State in '58

Reactions: WHCSC
I remember listening to that 1982 win at Missouri. I believe Kent Pavelka was doing PBP even back then. I remember him nearly whispering toward the end of the game to avoid pissing off the Antlers (or whatever the psycho Mizzou fans were called) and having them get violent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT