ADVERTISEMENT

Husker bball vs Wisconsin

SOOOOOOO.....Tim Miles or John Groce...HAVE TO PICK ONE...who ya got???

I would take Miles at this point. Illinois is obviously a better job with all of the talent in Illinois...despite all of the politics. Nor was it a complete rebuild for Groce. Yet, the results have been pretty similar within Big Ten play between the two.

As should be clear by now, I'm in favor of Miles staying on as I believe the talent pool we have built is only here because of Miles. I think sometimes fans would rather Nebraska lose by 15 instead of 1 at the end of a game. If Webster gets fouled on the last drive (he wasn't) and makes 2 FTs, do we all sing Miles' praise?

That said, I do wish the final play was a bit better designed. Every team across the country knows Webster is going to go to the rack for the final hoop. I would have loved when the 3 Wisconsin players collapsed on him if we had someone sitting 10 feet away on the baseline or as another poster suggested, hitting McVeigh at the top of the key. We have to use tendencies in our favor in final possessions. So many times last year, Shields was our obvious go-to and we never used anything creative when teams collapsed on him also.

So while I am a Miles supporter, I think it is fair to say his end of game planning could be improved.

Carry on.

As should be clear by now, I'm in favor of Miles staying on as I believe the talent pool we have built is only here because of Miles. I think sometimes fans would rather Nebraska lose by 15 instead of 1 at the end of a game. If Webster gets fouled on the last drive (he wasn't) and makes 2 FTs, do we all sing Miles' praise?

That said, I do wish the final play was a bit better designed. Every team across the country knows Webster is going to go to the rack for the final hoop. I would have loved when the 3 Wisconsin players collapsed on him if we had someone sitting 10 feet away on the baseline or as another poster suggested, hitting McVeigh at the top of the key. We have to use tendencies in our favor in final possessions. So many times last year, Shields was our obvious go-to and we never used anything creative when teams collapsed on him also.

So while I am a Miles supporter, I think it is fair to say his end of game planning could be improved.

Carry on.
You're assuming that Tai would have given the ball up.....not likely. I think sometimes mentally plays those last second possessions as if it's the same as every other possession and obviously they aren't. You get your shot blocked earlier in the half and it's no big deal to him. We had the ball in one of our two best playmakers and he failed. That's the bottomline. As far as play designs go, Wisconsin stuffed the original play design and I think sometimes our young guys just stand around and watch to see what Tai is going to do instead of trying to get themselves open.

You're assuming that Tai would have given the ball up.....not likely. I think sometimes mentally plays those last second possessions as if it's the same as every other possession and obviously they aren't. You get your shot blocked earlier in the half and it's no big deal to him. We had the ball in one of our two best playmakers and he failed. That's the bottomline. As far as play designs go, Wisconsin stuffed the original play design and I think sometimes our young guys just stand around and watch to see what Tai is going to do instead of trying to get themselves open.

That's not a "young guys" issue. That's been our offense since Miles has taken over. If it's not guys watching Tai/Glynn try to go to work it was guys watching Petteway/Shields or Shields/White go to work. It's why we are always near the bottom in assist and it's partially why we are always mediocre to bad offensively. Our passing and spacing is more times than not.....not very good under Miles. Tack on not recruiting enough shooters and you come up with four losing seasons out of five.

Conference games assist totals- Big 10 rankings
16-17=#13
15-16=#13
14-15=#13
13-14=#11(tied for last)
12-13=#12(last)

If you had the ability to bring in one position of need for the Huskers, what would you bring in?

A steady center?
Another point guard?
A slashing small forward?
A rebounding power forward?
A dead-eye 3 point shooter?

That's not a "young guys" issue. That's been our offense since Miles has taken over. If it's not guys watching Tai/Glynn try to go to work it was guys watching Petteway/Shields or Shields/White go to work. It's why we are always near the bottom in assist and it's partially why we are always mediocre to bad offensively. Our passing and spacing is more times than not.....not very good under Miles. Tack on not recruiting enough shooters and you come up with four losing seasons out of five.

Conference games assist totals- Big 10 rankings
16-17=#13
15-16=#13
14-15=#13
13-14=#11(tied for last)
12-13=#12(last)

Standing around is not a youth thing, ever.

My nephew's is 12, his team understands floor spacing and off the ball movement.

This has to fall under the officiating section in the Nebrasketball Excuse book. If they move and touch a defender, they will get called for an offensive foul.

If you had the ability to bring in one position of need for the Huskers, what would you bring in?

A steady center?
Another point guard?
A slashing small forward?
A rebounding power forward?
A dead-eye 3 point shooter?

A center. I really like Chimmychanga. He has a high ceiling, but still has a lot to improve on. He gets in foul trouble easily and needs to learn to finish at the rim. Morrow is a really nice player that I would love to see get to play the 4.

The roster needs another big man. If for nothing else, we have seen what an injury can do to that position.

handy cheat sheet:
poor play/ poor shooting on occasion- on the player
poor play/ poor shooting almost every game over several years- on the coach

Meh, people carry the ball all the time. That's why it's rarely called. Oh well.

Yea, in the NBA where they get away with traveling too.

Tai carried the ball they was an obvious call. But how many times did that Happ walk with the ball and it was in noticed, that's what pissed me off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT