ADVERTISEMENT

Husker bball vs Wisconsin

How can turnovers automatically be all the fault of the players? Could it possibly be poor practice planning, inability to teach a system, running a poor system, etc?
Im not saying it is all that but your logic is totally flawed. Well coached teams dont turn the ball over near as much, period.
We had guys do crap that they know they weren't supposed to do. We ALSO had guys get mugged and subsequently "turn over" the ball. Morrow's with 40 seconds left in regulation was HUGE and he got absolutely mugged. Glynn Watson got excited bringing the ball up, dribbled in to traffic then threw it to Wisconsin. Somebody tried to lob the ball in to 6-7 Morrow surrounded by 2 6-10 Wisconsin guys. Duh. It's just dumb stuff that IF we were deeper the young guys that do it would get splinters for a while. I know one thing though. These young guys are getting better game by game. Roby is going to be a great player. They just took a team with 3 losses to the brink and IF we could have got a break like say oh a 3 banking in from the top of the arc like Wisconsin did we would have won it.

We had guys do crap that they know they weren't supposed to do. We ALSO had guys get mugged and subsequently "turn over" the ball. Morrow's with 40 seconds left if regulation was HUGE and he got absolutely mugged. Glynn Watson got excited bringing the ball up, dribbled in to traffic then threw it to Wisconsin. Somebody tried to lob the ball in to 6-7 Morrow surrounded by 2 6-10 Wisconsin guys. Duh. It's just dumb stuff that IF we were deeper the young guys that do it would get splinters for a while. I know one thing though. These young guys are getting better game by game. They just took a team with 3 losses to the brink and IF we could have got a break like say oh a 3 banking in from the top of the arc like Wisconsin did we would have won it.
Not gonna disagree with the ref stuff, but 21? I know it hurts cuz you are a miles backer which is fine, but well coached teams dont do that. Maybe a well coached glynn watson knows the plan(if there is one) and doesnt do what he did? Possible? No probably not.
Youre wrong here. Coaching contributes to good control and poor ball control.

We had guys do crap that they know they weren't supposed to do. We ALSO had guys get mugged and subsequently "turn over" the ball. Morrow's with 40 seconds left in regulation was HUGE and he got absolutely mugged. Glynn Watson got excited bringing the ball up, dribbled in to traffic then threw it to Wisconsin. Somebody tried to lob the ball in to 6-7 Morrow surrounded by 2 6-10 Wisconsin guys. Duh. It's just dumb stuff that IF we were deeper the young guys that do it would get splinters for a while. I know one thing though. These young guys are getting better game by game. Roby is going to be a great player. They just took a team with 3 losses to the brink and IF we could have got a break like say oh a 3 banking in from the top of the arc like Wisconsin did we would have won it.
And my original point was a response. Im not posting to go after miles head. I just think its absurd to blame turnovers of this magnitude all on the players

Every team in the country can play the what if game. In reality we are 9-14 against division 1 opponents and have lost 8 of our last 9 Big Ten games.

Give it a rest. They are 21-3. Us, notsomuch

How are Gardner-Webb, Rutgers, Samford, Incarnate Word?

We have too much talent (thank you Kenya Hunter) and crowd support to be losing 8 of 9 games on our way to a 4th losing season in 5 years. I remember watching Doc Sadler win 20 games with Ryan Anderson as our starting center in a half-empty arena.

Maybe next year we can turn the corner, but looking at how young and talented the rest of the conference is, I wouldn't bet on it.

How are Gardner-Webb, Rutgers, Samford, Incarnate Word?

We have too much talent (thank you Kenya Hunter) and crowd support to be losing 8 of 9 games on our way to a 4th losing season in 5 years. I remember watching Doc Sadler win 20 games with Ryan Anderson as our starting center in a half-empty arena.

Maybe next year we can turn the corner, but looking at how young and talented the rest of the conference is, I wouldn't bet on it.
At the risk of getting skinned alive and causing a few posters to self combust and go full "shut up!" Mode....what was docs record compared to miles at this point? Seems they cant be far off?

At the risk of getting skinned alive and causing a few posters to self combust and go full "shut up!" Mode....what was docs record compared to miles at this point? Seems they cant be far off?

I'm definitely not pining for Doc to return by any means, as he was a lousy recruiter...but he was 86-71 (55%) overall and 30-50 (38%) in conference his first 5 years, without the great facilities Miles has. Miles is 73-81 (47%) and 31-53 (37%) so far.

Doc did NOT remotely play the same kind of schedule that Miles has and he did NOT remotely bring in this kind of talent. Furthermore Doc was not REMOTELY competitive against good teams. We're losing games in the final seconds to GOOD teams for the most part not the first freaking half like Doc did. IF this same crap is still happening when these kids are juniors and seniors then can him but until then I think it's counterproductive to come on here and bitch and moan every time we lose a close one. Good Lord.

Final fouls called:

Wisky-25
NEB- 22
It wasn't just the fouls. Their big kid traveled EVERY stinking time he touched the ball. One time he started at the side of the free throw line and shuffled at least 10 feet towards the corner to make room to get a pass off around the double team. No call. Then the next time down on our end they called Jack for a travel on a legal move. Wisconsin has always mugged people and even though they had a few more fouls called on them, they got away with a bunch more.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Docs was better I believe. That's why I think next year is put up or shut up time.

Roby fouled out didn't he?

Yes. I was being facetious. Regionsdoc said earlier that Miles is a terrible in game coach, especially late in games because he wasn't playing Roby.

I let him know that Roby fouled out. He was cool enough to respond saying oops. But couldn't help himself to make his same point again that Miles is just the worst.

So I metioned Roby not playing, because I couldn't help myself.

Reactions: newAD
Will he go .500 next season? I'll believe it when I see it at this point. This is the most athletic Nebraska team I have ever seen and we're sitting at 10-14.

Take me back to the Bob with no expectations and Arkansas Little Rock recruits. Nebrasketball doesn't deserve nice things

So jealous of our Iowa buddies, Fran had that team on brink of disaster after UNO game sitting at like 3-5. Now they're playing well at 14-11.

It's sad how badly I just want to see .500 basketball again.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Yes. I was being facetious. Regionsdoc said earlier that Miles is a terrible in game coach, especially late in games because he wasn't playing Roby.

I let him know that Roby fouled out. He was cool enough to respond saying oops. But couldn't help himself to make his same point again that Miles is just the worst.

Gotcha. I missed that.

Doc did NOT remotely play the same kind of schedule that Miles has and he did NOT remotely bring in this kind of talent. Furthermore Doc was not REMOTELY competitive against good teams. We're losing games in the final seconds to GOOD teams for the most part not the first freaking half like Doc did. IF this same crap is still happening when these kids are juniors and seniors then can him but until then I think it's counterproductive to come on here and bitch and moan every time we lose a close one. Good Lord.
I would take Miles over Doc, but Doc also didn't have the PBA and had minimal time with the practice facility. That, and he wasn't a top 20 paid coach like Miles is with the same recruiting budget. Nebraska finally has started to pony up for basketball and take it seriously, but so far all it has to show for it is 4 losing seasons out of 5 years.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I would take Miles over Doc, but Doc also didn't have the PBA and had minimal time with the practice facility. That, and he wasn't a top 20 paid coach like Miles is with the same recruiting budget. Nebraska finally has started to pony up for basketball and take it seriously, but so far all it has to show for it is 4 losing seasons out of 5 years.

Exactly. It's not about comparing who is the better coach, it's simply about results and return on investment. Tons of money, similar win/loss.

And there it is.

It wasn't just the fouls. Their big kid traveled EVERY stinking time he touched the ball. One time he started at the side of the free throw line and shuffled at least 10 feet towards the corner to make room to get a pass off around the double team. No call. Then the next time down on our end they called Jack for a travel on a legal move. Wisconsin has always mugged people and even though they had a few more fouls called on them, they got away with a bunch more.
Saw webster travel blatantly too after an inbounds pass. They just dont call it as much anymore.

Rutgers and Ohio state say hello. It's not just playing or not playing roby. Poor in game management. How many times are we going to stall with the lead and wait til 3 secs to put up a poor shot, vs knowing your team needs time to run a set to get up a higher percentage shot?????? His players make poor decisions at the end of games....that is coaching. Way to give up a wide open 3 up 2 at the end of the game---do they even practice end of game scenarios in Lincoln?

The wide open layup at the buzzer BY OSU says hello.

FYI---I'd rather miles not have to be fired. Seems like a good guy who can recruit. Unless he hires assistants who can help him during games this won't get better.

And yet Nebraska still blew it on their own. Take care of what you can control and that game is a W.

Last edited:
I thought a Wisconsin player touched it too.
Could have, but from where we sit it looked like Mcveigh was the last to touch it before it went over half court. May have to watch the game later to see.

Not a Miles hatter. But my God he does struggle often putting in inbound plays after a time out.. You think driving it in and then kicking it back out for a open shot is what I was looking for when Tai has his shot blocked by Happ.

Reactions: newAD
Not a Miles hatter. But my God he does struggle often putting in inbound plays after a time out.. You think driving it in and then kicking it back out for a open shot is what I was looking for when Tai has his shot blocked by Happ.

As soon as he took a time out I knew we were screwed.

If you watch the replay if Tai would have kicked it out to McVeigh who was open at the top of the key we just might have had a different ending at least I would have like that shot which is petty much the same shot Hayes had for their winning shot.

Reactions: chicolby
Well coached teams dont turn the ball over near as much, period.

We turn it over less than Michigan State, Maryland and Purdue. 2 of the 3 are top 25 teams, and I highly doubt anyone says Sparty isn't a "well coached team", under Tom Izzo.

Last night sucked, once again.

So what was your excuse in 2014-2015 when we had everyone back and were ranked in the preseason Top 25, and proceeded to finish 13-18 and lose 11 of our last 12 games? That season alone is why the "wait until these kids are older" approach with Miles doesn't give me a ton of optimism. Except for one hot month in 2014, he has more moral victories than actual victories. And while this year's team is fairly young, we are actually one of the more experienced teams in the conference, as almost every other team in the league is even younger and more inexperienced than we are. We will be picked toward the bottom of the conference next year again.

To say Doc was not REMOTELY competitive against good teams isn't true. He beat quite a few ranked teams, including a Top 5 Texas team and a Top 10 Indiana team. He beat Creighton 3 out of 6 times, something Timmy hasn't even done once yet. He beat OU when they had Blake Griffin and K-State when they had Beasley. He came within one shot of beating KU in Allen Fieldhouse. But regardless, our standard should be much higher than Doc Sadler, yet so far Miles has been even worse overall, despite much better facilities and assistants that can recruit. So that must point to poor in-game coaching on the part of our head coach.

So what was your excuse in 2014-2015 when we had everyone back and were ranked in the preseason Top 25, and proceeded to finish 13-18 and lose 11 of our last 12 games? That season alone is why the "wait until these kids are older" approach with Miles doesn't give me a ton of optimism. Except for one hot month in 2014, he has more moral victories than actual victories. And while this year's team is fairly young, we are actually one of the more experienced teams in the conference, as almost every other team in the league is even younger and more inexperienced than we are. We will be picked toward the bottom of the conference next year again.

To say Doc was not REMOTELY competitive against good teams isn't true. He beat quite a few ranked teams, including a Top 5 Texas team and a Top 10 Indiana team. He beat Creighton 3 out of 6 times, something Timmy hasn't even done once yet. He beat OU when they had Blake Griffin and K-State when they had Beasley. He came within one shot of beating KU in Allen Fieldhouse. But regardless, our standard should be much higher than Doc Sadler, yet so far Miles has been even worse overall, despite much better facilities and assistants that can recruit. So that must point to poor in-game coaching on the part of our head coach.
I lost my 'Doc' love when he brought the Huskers to WSU and absorbed an ENDLESS beating!!!!

Sucks to lose on a blocked shot, but frankly I thought the execution at the end of OT was a lot better than what happened at the end of regulation - just with a different result. I like Tai's chances of finishing at the rim a lot better than having the ball land in the hands of a 14% three-point shooter with two seconds left.

So maybe Happ's block on Webster was just the basketball gods getting even.

Why all the comparisons to Doc? If one wants to play the "comparison game" I'd think they would be comparing Mil;es to what MAY be available come the end of the season. If there is someone better...then make the change. If not...then get ready for another year of "what if".

ADVERTISEMENT