ADVERTISEMENT

How many teams win with their 3rd string QB

Ron Kellogg beat Penn State on the road in 2013. He was 3rd-string QB behind Martinez and Armstrong that year.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Let’s stop acting like it was only Bunch that cost us this game. We are still and undiscipled team and Walters/Frost did not have a good day.

The stats were slightly in Nebraska's favor except one more turnover and punt return for the td.

TROY NEB
FIRST DOWNS................. 12 22
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)...... 34-143 48-187
PASSING YDS (NET).......... 110 177
Att-Comp-Int......... 21-14-1 27-19-2
TOTAL OFFENSE .......... 55-253 75-364
Fumble Returns-Yards....... 0-0 0-0
Punt Returns-Yards........ 3-65 0-0
Kickoff Returns-Yards..... 1-13 3-70
Int. Returns-Yards........ 2-10 1-0
Punts (Number-Avg)...... 5-53.8 5-41.6
Fumbles-Lost............... 3-1 4-1
Penalties-Yards.......... 10-95 10-77
Possession Time.......... 27:06 32:54
Third-Down Conv. ...... 4 of 12 5 of 15
Fourth-Down Conv. ...... 0 of 1 1 of 1
Red-Zone Scores-Chances.... 2-2 4-5
Sacks By: Number-Yards.... 3-23 3-19

The stats were slightly in Nebraska's favor except one more turnover and punt return for the td.

TROY NEB
FIRST DOWNS................. 12 22
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)...... 34-143 48-187
PASSING YDS (NET).......... 110 177
Att-Comp-Int......... 21-14-1 27-19-2
TOTAL OFFENSE .......... 55-253 75-364
Fumble Returns-Yards....... 0-0 0-0
Punt Returns-Yards........ 3-65 0-0
Kickoff Returns-Yards..... 1-13 3-70
Int. Returns-Yards........ 2-10 1-0
Punts (Number-Avg)...... 5-53.8 5-41.6
Fumbles-Lost............... 3-1 4-1
Penalties-Yards.......... 10-95 10-77
Possession Time.......... 27:06 32:54
Third-Down Conv. ...... 4 of 12 5 of 15
Fourth-Down Conv. ...... 0 of 1 1 of 1
Red-Zone Scores-Chances.... 2-2 4-5
Sacks By: Number-Yards.... 3-23 3-19

We seem to forget we recovered 3 fumbles of our own or the game was over, they were stopped on 4th and we made ours or they win by 2 TDS. We only see it one way of course.

We seem to forget we recovered 3 fumbles of our own or the game was over, they were stopped on 4th and we made ours or they win by 2 TDS. We only see it one way of course.
And if we start a healthy Martinez, we likely win this game.

What is your point again?

Maybe we win but the line play was horrible so I’m not sure..
I’m saying a healthy Martinez is able to keep the defense from attacking as much or making them pay. Didn’t watch the game, but it sounds like they weren’t afraid of Bunch.

Edit: still would be an ugly game... martinez doesn’t play D and isn’t on special teams to stop the punt return, but he is much different than Bunch for other teams to prepare for.

Reactions: barney44
I’m saying a healthy Martinez is able to keep the defense from attacking as much or making them pay. Didn’t watch the game, but it sounds like they weren’t afraid of Bunch.

Agree and everything with bunch was forced as well. Jump balls, bad reads, throwing in to double coverage, missing an open man, etc. Yeah we definitely had a walk on playing today.

Reactions: timnsun
Bunch did not cost us the game. He wasn't good enough to win it, but he didlt lose it.

The thing is we didn't have enough rhythm to keep things going and take some of the pressure off the D.

Got to get better on special teams ASAP

Bunch did not cost us the game. He wasn't good enough to win it, but he didlt lose it.

The thing is we didn't have enough rhythm to keep things going and take some of the pressure off the D.

Agree, but more rhythm with a healthy Martinez automatically makes us better.

The team certainly has a knack for mistakes, no question about that. Even with all those, they still had a shot to win, like last week. Imagine if one day they actually have no turnovers and only 5 penalties in a game!

Hopefully Frost will have better QB depth by his sixth season as well.

Was Ron Kellogg any better than Andrew Bunch? Both were walk-ons with limited abilities. Was Ryker Fyfe better than Bunch? He beat Maryland.

I'm betting most major-conference teams could find a way to beat a Sun Belt team with a 3rd-string QB.

Was Ron Kellogg any better than Andrew Bunch? Both were walk-ons with limited abilities. Was Ryker Fyfe better than Bunch? He beat Maryland.

I'm betting most major-conference teams could find a way to beat a Sun Belt team with a 3rd-string QB.
What do you propose? Fire the coaches?

When Fyfe beat Maryland, Nebraska was ranked in the top 20. 9-2 record. They didn’t go in to the game having lost 5 in a row and 9 out of 10 or whatever it was.

Remember, we aren’t a good team yet. I thought we would be better, but we obviously aren’t.

This often happens when a team plays a game with a backup QB who is definitely not the same player as the starter. When the starter is in you have your whole playbook, when you are forced the play your back-up it will definitely change how a coach calls the game for many reasons (out of rhythm as you say). For example you tend to protect your back up in the run game because if they get hurt you are in an even tougher spot going forward.

When Fyfe beat Maryland, Nebraska was ranked in the top 20. 9-2 record. They didn’t go in to the game having lost 5 in a row and 9 out of 10 or whatever it was.

Remember, we aren’t a good team yet. I thought we would be better, but we obviously aren’t.
We have been better on O and D, but turnovers, penalties and special teams have killed us.

Reactions: mmunso7

Of course not. But the question was how many teams would beat Troy with their 3rd-string QB? I think the answer is quite a few.

Bunch had more recruiting "stars" from Rivals (3) than most of the players on Troy's roster. Troy's QB was a zero-star recruit, and this was his first road start. Beat a Big Ten team in front of 90k fans.

We have many issues other than QB. No I don't want to fire any coaches, but I'm not going to pretend that I have seen evidence of good coaching these first 2 games. Because there has been very little.

Of course not. But the question was how many teams would beat Troy with their 3rd-string QB? I think the answer is quite a few.

Bunch had more recruiting "stars" from Rivals (3) than most of the players on Troy's roster. Troy's QB was a zero-star recruit, and this was his first road start. Beat a Big Ten team in front of 90k fans.

We have many issues other than QB. No I don't want to fire any coaches, but I'm not going to pretend that I have seen evidence of good coaching these first 2 games. Because there has been very little.

The stars don't really mean squat after the top couple teams. The difference makers get taken and the rest of us get to play the lottery.

My larger point is simply this... teams that are 8-2 going into the contest (Fyfe’s team) have a much better shot at winning with a third stringer than teams that finished last year 4-8 and are on a 5 (now 6) game losing streak.

Also consider Maryland at the time was a bottom dweller in the conference, being 2-5 before their tilt with us. Not to mention this is only the second game in the Scott frost era. That was year 6 or 7 for Pelini. All of these things matter, and you seem to be ignoring them.

I don’t think you can compare the two. If you are doing that, then I guess Pelini is a better coach then Frost. But I don’t think any of us are willing to say that yet. So I still don’t get comparing game 2 with a 3rd walk on quarterback to game 75 under Pelini.

Agree and everything with bunch was forced as well. Jump balls, bad reads, throwing in to double coverage, missing an open man, etc. Yeah we definitely had a walk on playing today.

He completed nearly 70% of his passes and had two tds. One INT was on the money but his weak ass wr didn't fight for it...bad decision, maybe, but a wr can't get jumped that easy on a ball that hits his hands. Bunch played well enough for us to win the game...missed fg, fumble on a big play, his 2nd INT was a wrong route by the wr. Team plays like they know how to lose at home...6 straight losses is a tough mental game to overcome.

Right, it’s not like they got to the title game by playing their 3rd string QB for the entire season.

Actually, Jones was a 3 Star and the Buckeyes used the 2nd string QB for the entire season. Having said that, it’s a near once in a lifetime situation. The reality however is that a second or third string qb even at a school full of 4 and 5 Stars makes it difficult to win, though having a bunch of 4-5 stars at other positions help. Frost will do well at NU, just give him time.

Even more so to the point, how many do good and win with a 3rd string QB In the first year with a new head coach, new offense and new defense....that are also playing this many new faces, this many true freshman and had a complete dumpster fire the year before??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT