ADVERTISEMENT

How do we beat 0klahoma?

fear not....youngsters

It was an upset for the ages as NU broke Oklahoma’s 74-game conference unbeaten streak with a 25-21 victory in Lincoln.

Oklahoma, favored by 14 to 17 points, fell to the Huskers for the first time since 1942. It was the first conference defeat in the 13-year career of Sooner coach Bud Wilkinson.

The Sunday Journal & Star reported: “It was the Tolly-Meade-Fischer combo that really stole the show this happy afternoon, Harry with his field generalship and punting, Ron with his game-winning field goals and game-saving pass interception, and Pat with his spectacular punt return which set up NU’s third TD.”

In the first half, Nebraska matched OU’s two TDs but missed both conversion tries and trailed 14-12 at intermission. The first Husker touchdown came on a 3-yard Harry Tolly pass to Dick McDaniel, capping a 47-yard drive, and the second came on a punt block by Jim Moore that was picked up by Lee Zentic and returned 36 yards to paydirt. OU’s first-half scores came on marches of 72 and 56 yards.

Nebraska took the lead for good on Ron Meade’s 22-yard field goal in the third quarter and added a TD and another Meade field goal in the fourth period for a 25-14 lead. The touchdown was set up by Fischer’s 61-yard punt return, and two plays after the ensuing kickoff, Don Olson recovered an Oklahoma fumble at the Sooners’ 43 yard line to set up the field goal.

Victory seemed in peril when Oklahoma proceeded to march 67 yards in nine plays for a touchdown and then forced a Nebraska punt. But Meade sealed the win in the last minute of play when he picked off an Oklahoma pass in the end zone on a third-and-10 play from the Nebraska 27.

indeed, the glory

fear not....youngsters

It was an upset for the ages as NU broke Oklahoma’s 74-game conference unbeaten streak with a 25-21 victory in Lincoln.

Oklahoma, favored by 14 to 17 points, fell to the Huskers for the first time since 1942. It was the first conference defeat in the 13-year career of Sooner coach Bud Wilkinson.

The Sunday Journal & Star reported: “It was the Tolly-Meade-Fischer combo that really stole the show this happy afternoon, Harry with his field generalship and punting, Ron with his game-winning field goals and game-saving pass interception, and Pat with his spectacular punt return which set up NU’s third TD.”

In the first half, Nebraska matched OU’s two TDs but missed both conversion tries and trailed 14-12 at intermission. The first Husker touchdown came on a 3-yard Harry Tolly pass to Dick McDaniel, capping a 47-yard drive, and the second came on a punt block by Jim Moore that was picked up by Lee Zentic and returned 36 yards to paydirt. OU’s first-half scores came on marches of 72 and 56 yards.

Nebraska took the lead for good on Ron Meade’s 22-yard field goal in the third quarter and added a TD and another Meade field goal in the fourth period for a 25-14 lead. The touchdown was set up by Fischer’s 61-yard punt return, and two plays after the ensuing kickoff, Don Olson recovered an Oklahoma fumble at the Sooners’ 43 yard line to set up the field goal.

Victory seemed in peril when Oklahoma proceeded to march 67 yards in nine plays for a touchdown and then forced a Nebraska punt. But Meade sealed the win in the last minute of play when he picked off an Oklahoma pass in the end zone on a third-and-10 play from the Nebraska 27.

indeed, the glory
Most realistic part of that is us missing both extra points

Maybe if Oklahoma forgets that the game starts at 11:00 am?

996742a05c6df5245e360afd36fe7983.gif

Nebraska isn't going to lose by 50 have fewer than 150 yards. They will probably lose by 4 drives and have more than 250 yards though.

Huskers had a hard time mustering up 28 on Buffalo..OU will score in the 50’s next Saturday..
Defense will only be able to hold up so long.SF offense is just so hard to watch…

Reactions: BleedRed78
You should be worried about the D.

They bend but haven't broken against Fordham and Buffalo.

They are still vulnerable on 3rd down.
They get caught in too many one on one and end up chasing the receiver.
Where are the sacks?
Our blitzes are awful and rarely get to the QB. How many times did they throw today?
Speedy receicers and a good RB will kill us.
7 QB hits and 14 QB hurries, at least 7 TFL in the game, 1 interception that set up a TD. The defense is much more sound than the offense.

Reactions: bshirt73
Has anyone in this thread watched OU play? They are vastly overated. A nonexisent running game. All the talk of there Defense being better was just that talk. The Defense is bad. Tulane was tougher and more physical. Rattler and the recievers are top notch but he gets overconfident and makes mistakes.

Ou is going to put up points. Nebraska offense needs to come to play and not lay an egg like the illinois game. Defense gets a couple turnovers and Nebraska pulls off the upset. GBR

I recall watching the game on November 1, 1997, the rout was on and my grandparents, still alive, cheered with light beer as was the custom at the time. Then we played spoons late into the night with my great grandma. This upcoming game should be the polar opposite of November 1, 1997... all but one grandparent gone, seltzers are the fad du jour and our once mighty Huskers are but a fragment of a shell of their former glory.

Here's to the ghost of October 31, 1959 showing up, but it isn't Halloween! #GBR

The only way we beat OU is if we have a team of Tonya Harding’s boyfriend head down to Norman. Since that ain’t happening, it’s going to be worse than the last time we were in Norman and the game was over at the 11:00 mark of the first quarter.

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
Supposed to be 96 in Norman Saturday defense will be on the field a lot and our offense is terrible. Could be a blow out rather quickly

Let see the Fighting Bielema's just lost to UVA by 28 after beating the Huskers 2 weeks ago. Granted Tulane gave the Sooners a wakeup call, but there aren't too many top 60 teams that give top 5 teams a run for their money. I think I would start focusing on B10 games that are winnable.

Teams like Kansas State and Iowa State have provided a blue print in the past. If we can run the ball at all to eat the clock and avoid turnover that’s a good start. Then eliminate the big plays on defense and not give up cheap yards/plays on special teams. In the past this hasn’t happened very consistently. Oklahoma will be up to play this one, they always have been in the past. If it’s within 10 in the fourth quarter we may have a chance as they have struggled to finish games.

Maybe the sooner schooner will break a wheel and die from scoring so much, and the song boomer sooner the horn players will pass out for lack of air

Almost impossible to see happening.

We'd need multiple turnovers, mishaps, and us not shitting the bed on the road.

Sure, maybe we rally around the locker room talk of nobody thinks we can win. That works 1 in 100 times when the other team overlooks you. But OU isn't going to overlook Nebraska with a massive amount of exposure about the 50 year anniversary and legend and history of Nebraska/Oklahoma football games of years past.

Anybody who thinks the Tulane game is a true reflection of how good OU is, is probably in for some disappointment on Saturday. The top teams sometimes have uninspired performances in 1 or 2 games per season against lesser opponents. It happens.

I highly doubt they will be as flat for Nebraska as they were for Tulane. If anything, the Tulane performance probably pissed them off.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
During the Callahan tenure I think it was, nobody was giving Iowa State a chance to beat us. ISU was terrible. I posted multiple times that all it takes is 4-5 turnovers and they can win. We gave them 8 I think and they won by a TD or field goal maybe?
This happened during Pelini's watch in 2009. Also got lucky beating a very mediocre Iowa St team the following year.

Anybody who thinks the Tulane game is a true reflection of how good OU is, is probably in for some disappointment on Saturday. The top teams sometimes have uninspired performances in 1 or 2 games per season against lesser opponents. It happens.

I highly doubt they will be as flat for Nebraska as they were for Tulane. If anything, the Tulane performance probably pissed them off.
Maybe Nebraska hasn't been very motivated by its first 3 opponents Smokin

Almost impossible to see happening.

We'd need multiple turnovers, mishaps, and us not shitting the bed on the road.

Sure, maybe we rally around the locker room talk of nobody thinks we can win. That works 1 in 100 times when the other team overlooks you. But OU isn't going to overlook Nebraska with a massive amount of exposure about the 50 year anniversary and legend and history of Nebraska/Oklahoma football games of years past.
I just have a problem when folks mope around and cry saying we can't do this or that without even trying.
no hope just mope.
what if douglas said, nah I can't jab tysons head?
or
gardner said, ah he's won 2 golds already?
I guess what I'm say is try, make an effort..

I just have a problem when folks mope around and cry saying we can't do this or that without even trying.
no hope just mope.
what if douglas said, nah I can't jab tysons head?
or
gardner said, ah he's won 2 golds already?
I guess what I'm say is try, make an effort..

I'm not on the team or the coaching staff.

I undoubtedly want us to win with all my fiber and being.

I'm just giving my opinion on a message board of what I think will most logically happen. I sincerely hope I eat crow.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I'm not on the team or the coaching staff.

I undoubtedly want us to win with all my fiber and being.

I'm just giving my opinion on a message board of what I think will most logically happen. I sincerely hope I eat crow.
fair nuff, I just don't want NU to slip into that 1980's k-state mode of beating themself before the ball is snapped mentally.

Get a few interceptions and be able to throw the ball. Everyone wants to run the ball (I do as well) but we haven't shown we can do that and Oklahoma's back 7 has been a little shaky. They do have a solid D line with Winfrey and Thomas.

Get a few interceptions and be able to throw the ball. Everyone wants to run the ball (I do as well) but we haven't shown we can do that and Oklahoma's back 7 has been a little shaky. They do have a solid D line with Winfrey and Thomas.
Run the ball, hold onto the ball & only safe passes. Play contain defense (make them march down the entire field) keeps it within 2 touchdowns.

I think we have to go after it... let it all hang

We have nothing to lose. We are their 'trap game'.

Just light 'em up.

Don't turn the ball over.

Don't get stupid penalties.

Play ball and go for it.

Go get the W.

Tulane isn't quite the cupcake opponent that some are making them out to be. They've got a very good head coach in Willie Fritz, and they've been to three consecutive bowl games. Barring a disaster, they will go to a fourth consecutive bowl game this year. They rebounded nicely from the OU loss with a 69-20 demolition of Morgan State (an FCS team probably on par with Fordham).

Huskers can win with elite defense (meaning they get off the field on 3rd downs and they don't allow more than 5 30+ yard plays, force OU to sustain long drives), mistake-free special teams, and connecting on shots down the field offensively (must connect on more than 5 30+ yard gains). Most importantly they have to win the turnover battle. I expect Nebraska to score 34+ points.

Huskers can win with elite defense (meaning they get off the field on 3rd downs and they don't allow more than 5 30+ yard plays, force OU to sustain long drives), mistake-free special teams, and connecting on shots down the field offensively (must connect on more than 5 30+ yard gains). Most importantly they have to win the turnover battle. I expect Nebraska to score 34+ points.
So you are saying we have no chance . . . .

7 QB hits and 14 QB hurries, at least 7 TFL in the game, 1 interception that set up a TD. The defense is much more sound than the offense.
Comparing our D to our O doesn't make it good, just better by comparison of the two. I would love to have the D shoe up and be in Rattlers grill all day but as many times as Buffalo passed and not one single sack? Come on. And only one INT?

Survive their initial barrage and win the middle 8 minutes…4 before and after each half. Run ball and stay low scoring but not Callahan VS USC run the ball. Creative run play.

if all that fails….rename our dongs Oklahoma and most will easily cover the spread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT