ADVERTISEMENT

Honest questions about succession planning for the athletic dept

DudznSudz

Senior
Feb 4, 2016
Ok so, I am in no way advocating getting rid of anybody yet, but I want to know what would realistically happen if one of the following circumstances were to take place:

1.) Fire Shawn Eichorst.

2.) Fire Mike Riley.

I don't want 2 to happen PRIMARILY because he's hired REALLY good position coaches and recruiters for some of the team (I don't want Diaco, Parella, the Williamses, or Bray to necessarily go anywhere), so would a new coach coming in (assume its like Frost or something) completely let everyone go? Would a new coach keep a few around?

If we fire Eichorst, what happens after that? Who would be a good AD?

Just some questions I'm having as the thunder for making a change keeps building.

...THUNDER! (AC/DC)

Your new AD will be one of two people, in my opinion. Paul Meyers or Trev Alberts. Meyers has raised a ton of money for the AD but I'm slightly cool on him because he was a Bo guy. Alberts will hire a Nebraska guy but I'm cool on him because he hasn't been an AD that has successfully oversaw a football program except to kill it.

If Riley doesn't work out I hire Trev and tell him Turner or Scott. If it doesn't work out we can tell the fans it's what they wanted and we'll get a second hire.

Ok so, I am in no way advocating getting rid of anybody yet, but I want to know what would realistically happen if one of the following circumstances were to take place:

1.) Fire Shawn Eichorst.

2.) Fire Mike Riley.

I don't want 2 to happen PRIMARILY because he's hired REALLY good position coaches and recruiters for some of the team (I don't want Diaco, Parella, the Williamses, or Bray to necessarily go anywhere), so would a new coach coming in (assume its like Frost or something) completely let everyone go? Would a new coach keep a few around?

Just some questions I'm having as the thunder for making a change keeps building.

...THUNDER! (AC/DC)

When you get up to this level, the number of qualified AND interested candidates is small for both positions. If these jobs were both easy then anyone could do them and they wouldn't pay so much. Then throw in it's Nebraska, not the garden capital of America and our recent history, like it or not, is not sterling.

Your new AD will be one of two people, in my opinion. Paul Meyers or Trev Alberts. Meyers has raised a ton of money for the AD but I'm slightly cool on him because he was a Bo guy. Alberts will hire a Nebraska guy but I'm cool on him because he hasn't been an AD that has successfully oversaw a football program except to kill it.

If Riley doesn't work out I hire Trev and tell him Turner or Scott. If it doesn't work out we can tell the fans it's what they wanted and we'll get a second hire.
I think a bad leader says let's do "what the fans want". That's a guy who is looking to get paid for a few years but doesn't have the program's best interest in mind.

I figure we can go one way or another.

1) Have faith that the right guys are in leadership positions, lay out concrete and MEASURABLE goals over the next two years. If they are met, then we stay the course. If they aren't met, then we move in a new direction.

2) Let the year play out, sans a 7-5 year, say enough is enough and pull the plug on both the AD and head coach. The Athletic Department certainly has enough money to pay out the remainder of a contract and go after a big name coach, but perception is bad timing when the rest of the University is cutting costs everywhere possible to make up for shortcomings.

These two are attached at the hip. You can pretty much assume that if either is fired, the other will get his walking papers shortly thereafter. And if that doesn't come to pass, then once again our university will have done a piss-poor job of hiring an AD and coach. Thanks Harvey, you sack of shit.

If there is a problem with both,and you could argue many think Nebraska has a problem with both, it typically goes like this -

Year 1. Remove the AD- less financial repercussions short and long term.
Year 1. Hire new AD
Year 2. Coach is then working for someone that did not hire them, buy out is decreased by at least one year. They have one year to produce. If not, the new AD has an easy and popular decision, and he or she gets to select the new coach.

Nebraska is similar to a lot of the traditional powers that have failed to maintain that elite status. Too many chefs in the kitchen and they all want something different. Every administrator at the University owes their job to one big name booster or another. It's no different than Washington DC. People supposedly in charge are acting as a puppet for the booster they owe the most to. It's been going on for years and years and largely went unnoticed by many because Osborne was in charge for 25 years. But when it was time for him to retire from football, the powers that be, pushed the AD aside and let Osborne hire Solich. Its good to have continuity. Then when Solich didn't work as they had hoped, a different group brought Pederson back into the fold and lead that "revolt". No more mediocrity they cried. Then the other side was back in charge, we need Osborne to unite this fan base. Pelini turned out to be what he was and the boosters didn't like it. TO is time for you to step down we have this Eichorst guy, brought in to get rid of the scourge named Pelini. Let's hire the guy who will unite this fan base again. What? Still no one wants this job they asked in surprise. Well crap, who do you know Shawn? boom the antithesis of Pelini is hired.

Best I can tell it will be the "Nebraska Man" hire again. It's their turn.

These two are attached at the hip. You can pretty much assume that if either is fired, the other will get his walking papers shortly thereafter. And if that doesn't come to pass, then once again our university will have done a piss-poor job of hiring an AD and coach. Thanks Harvey, you sack of shit.

There is the beginning of the problem. Harvey's mismanagement of the Athletic Department is the No. 1 reason for the problems of the past 15 years.

There is the beginning of the problem. Harvey's mismanagement of the Athletic Department is the No. 1 reason for the problems of the past 15 years.

Getting us into the B1G makes up for any of it.

I think a bad leader says let's do "what the fans want". That's a guy who is looking to get paid for a few years but doesn't have the program's best interest in mind.

I figure we can go one way or another.

1) Have faith that the right guys are in leadership positions, lay out concrete and MEASURABLE goals over the next two years. If they are met, then we stay the course. If they aren't met, then we move in a new direction.

2) Let the year play out, sans a 7-5 year, say enough is enough and pull the plug on both the AD and head coach. The Athletic Department certainly has enough money to pay out the remainder of a contract and go after a big name coach, but perception is bad timing when the rest of the University is cutting costs everywhere possible to make up for shortcomings.

We have 1 win now, what do you predict will be the other 6 wins to get to 7-5 ?

We have 1 win now, what do you predict will be the other 6 wins to get to 7-5 ?
Clearly, getting to 7-5 is a huge task. But we did see pretty monumental improvements on defense since the first half of Oregon. Maybe that's smoke and mirrors, but let's imagine the team comes together and gets better.

One win in the bank.

Likely wins:
Rutgers
@Illinois

Games Nebraska will likely be favored in:
Northwestern
@Minnesota
Iowa

Challenging wins:
@Purdue

Not likely (but possible):
Wisconsin
Ohio State

Extremely unlikely:
@Penn State

If they pick up the two likely wins, that puts them at 3. Let's assume they grab the games Nebraska is likely favored in, that puts the team at 6 wins. They would need to pick up one more (likely on the road at Purdue) or possibly one of the home games with Wisconsin or Ohio State.

Is it a tough road? Of course. Is it 0% - nope. Seven wins should be the goal from the fan base at this time.

For a long time, it seemed like Paul Meyers was
Paul is not a Bo guy...Paul is an NU guy.
^^^^THIS

I don't know if Meyers is the right person for the job or not, but the fact that part of his tenure at the NU Athletic Department happened to coincide with the Pelini regime does not make him a Bo guy.

^^^^THIS

I don't know if Meyers is the right person for the job or not, but the fact that part of his tenure at the NU Athletic Department happened to coincide with the Pelini regime does not make him a Bo guy.

Except, it's not "this".

Paul losing his position associated with UNL, or vice versa however either side wants to spin it, is due to his choice of covering for Pelini.

There is so much misinformation on this forum it's disgusting. This part isn't intended at you schuele, but as the board in general, as well as the topic.

Clearly, getting to 7-5 is a huge task. But we did see pretty monumental improvements on defense since the first half of Oregon. Maybe that's smoke and mirrors, but let's imagine the team comes together and gets better.

One win in the bank.

Likely wins:
Rutgers
@Illinois

Northwestern
@Minnesota
Iowa

Challenging wins:
@Purdue

Wisconsin
Ohio State

Extremely unlikely:
@Penn State

If they pick up the two likely wins, that puts them at 3. Let's assume they grab the games Nebraska is likely favored in, that puts the team at 6 wins. They would need to pick up one more (likely on the road at Purdue) or possibly one of the home games with Wisconsin or Ohio State.

Is it a tough road? Of course. Is it 0% - nope. Seven wins should be the goal from the fan base at this time.

Yeah. I think this is accurate. We need to win all of the games we should be favored in plus pick up one difficult one now to hit 7-5. That's the record I think we can feel ok with at this point, particularly if we start seeing some massive improvements. Nothing, however, should erase the rude shock that was the start of the season. Woof.

I've been saying for months now that the real litmus test for success should be the 2018 season. At that point, every starter will have experience, our QB's will be more seasoned, and damn good recruits will have spent more time in the system. In 2018, we should expect a 9 to 10 win season, even though the schedule is tougher, by virtue of flat out being a better, more experienced team. If we don't have that, as I've previously said, I will be loudly campaigning for a new staff.

Dave Rimmington's name used to be floated alot. I'm not sure how running a foundation prepares one for an AD position, but his name is still thrown out there.

Dave Rimmington's name used to be floated alot. I'm not sure how running a foundation prepares one for an AD position, but his name is still thrown out there.

With all due respect, if TFraz was a money manger at Alegent instead of a motivational speaker, TFraz's name would be thrown out for AD.

I figure its about time to let the secret out.

I am the succession plan for NU's AD. You may all pay your tribute at a date TBD. Thanks for your support.

Reactions: coachDubs

Most likely Jamie Williams or Dave Remington.

One win in the bank.

Likely wins:
Rutgers
@Illinois

Northwestern
@Minnesota
Iowa

Challenging wins:
@Purdue

Wisconsin
Ohio State

Extremely unlikely:
@Penn State

0% chance? No. But in many cases not better and I would surprised if the skers are favored over those you list. This is 2017, not 1995. There isn't a team on the schedule that doesn't think they can best us and realistically have a chance to do it.

0% chance? No. But in many cases not better and I would surprised if the skers are favored over those you list. This is 2017, not 1995. There isn't a team on the schedule that doesn't think they can best us and realistically have a chance to do it.
I don't disagree that every team on the schedule thinks they can beat us and has a chance to do so. But I stand by the games where Nebraska will be favored with the big question mark on Iowa because if the Huskers have been in a tailspin, it is quite possible Iowa will be favored by 3-5 on our field. But I think the Huskers will keep it together. If Minnesota keeps the feel good year going, it's possible Minnesota will be favored as well, but it should be close to a FG spread either way.

Go get Whit Babcock. Pay him what he wants. He hired both Justin Fuente and Buzz Williams. Buzz just got Va Tech to the NCAA tourney for the first time in a decade and Fuente looks like a home run hire. He turned a bad Memphis team around and is 13-4 so far at Va Tech. That's pretty stinking good in the ACC.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

One win in the bank.

Likely wins:
Rutgers
@Illinois

Northwestern
@Minnesota
Iowa

Challenging wins:
@Purdue

Wisconsin
Ohio State

Extremely unlikely:
@Penn State

F tha shit. 7 wins basically gives him a pass for NIU. No.

Yeah. I think this is accurate. We need to win all of the games we should be favored in plus pick up one difficult one now to hit 7-5. That's the record I think we can feel ok with at this point, particularly if we start seeing some massive improvements. Nothing, however, should erase the rude shock that was the start of the season. Woof.

I've been saying for months now that the real litmus test for success should be the 2018 season. At that point, every starter will have experience, our QB's will be more seasoned, and damn good recruits will have spent more time in the system. In 2018, we should expect a 9 to 10 win season, even though the schedule is tougher, by virtue of flat out being a better, more experienced team. If we don't have that, as I've previously said, I will be loudly campaigning for a new staff.
Until you come up with more excuses and lower the bar even more.

Reactions: Toms Wife

1.) Fire Shawn Eichorst.

2.) Fire Mike Riley.

...THUNDER! (AC/DC)
Perlman killed any thought of planning for succession and this current situation with the AD isn't planning it's just another fire fighting exercise.

TO was working very hard at a stable athletic department similar to Ohio State. All gone, to bad so sad.

I agree. I really would like to keep our great recruiter coaches on board. We NEED top recruiters to get talent here, but we also need coaches that can develop that talent. If a new coach started from scratch, I pray that he would find equally talented assistants.

On the other hand, say a guy like Gundy was hired away from Okie St, then I would be ok with him bringing his staff... (ok, I don't know whether he has a good staff or not, just that they have won 10 or more games 5 times since 2010).

They screwed up the way they handled the Meyers termination, don't count on him coming back.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi

Turner???? He's a hell of a coach but his style doesn't work in FBS. He's were he belongs right now. Perfect fit

Perlman killed any thought of planning for succession and this current situation with the AD isn't planning it's just another fire fighting exercise.

TO was working very hard at a stable athletic department similar to Ohio State. All gone, to bad so sad.
Yes. When I think Bo Pelini, stability is definitely what comes to mind.

They screwed up the way they handled the Meyers termination, don't count on him coming back.
Not sure what that situation is... but someone butthurt about the past may not be the best idea.

It's a train wreck folks, and it's going to take a long time to get the cars back on the tracks.

Revenue is better than ever, even without the increase from the B1G.

Finally spending more money on football, even without the increase from the B1G, then ever before.

2017 social media awareness instead of 1996 dial-up.

Everything is in place, at this time, for Husker football to succeed at a high level.

Football results are not good, at this point, but everything is in place.

Everyone knows you hate Shawn Eichorst but he's done a lot of damn good for Nebraska athletics. It may take someone else to elevate it to on-the-field results but the foundation is set.

TO was working very hard at a stable athletic department similar to Ohio State.

False. You HPH'ers have no idea what happened under TO nor do you have a clue what's going on now.

Oh, by the way, Ohio State? RollingLaugh

No trev please.
Why? Yes he got rid of the football program at UNO but it's not like he's going to start axing programs here. There's not much interest for football at a school like UNO and was probably always going to lose a lot of money. That Alberts pulled the plug shows he can make tough decisions to help the university.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT