ADVERTISEMENT

Home schooling...

I wanted home school suggestions. I just found out yesterday that I won't be able to send my daughter to Standing Bear next year.

Of course school sucks, that's why it's arbitrary. It's kind of about learning, but mostly it's just for occupying young people for the day.

Yes, the commute really is that bad for me. I have bad anxiety, to some that seems to mean that I am incapable of teaching my daughter basic school shit.
For me, it is drive on the interstate if it is raining or snowing. I can't handle that at all.

Reactions: Jaemekon
Just curious, did you you attend high school in Nebraska? I've never heard it called federal school and I just assumed you are from Canada or somewhere like that.

Where do you make friends as a teenager if not in school? I've seen a few homeschooled kids play public school sports but they are kind of outcasts. I felt kind of bad for them.

Yes, I grew up in Nebraska. I went to college in Nebraska too.

I made friends at church, and playing sports.

I think that the OP is more looking for people to say schools suck (which is fine, a lot of them do) and that the teachers are trying to manipulate kids (not really, but I am sure it happens) but is using the commute as the "reason" for wanting to homeschool.
Based on his comments about his aggressive driving habits and getting "massive road rage", I just presume the OP is a tool, and filter everything accordingly.

I've debated the same thing for our 4 year old son who already is at home every day with my wife. Public schools I want to support and believe in, but curriculum is so focused on sexual weirdness these days.

Local Christian school (only one we can afford) refuses to teach actual science. I love science (I just released book #1 of my scifi series after all!) and he really seems to as well.

Homeschooling is definitely an option, but I have similar concerns mentioned in this thread (lag in social development and whatnot).

I think we're currently leaning toward public schools. We could totally pull off homeschooling and probably enjoy it (only child family so we're really close). But that sounds like a job on top of our jobs, and a headache to pretend to be a teacher when I'm not lol.

The reality either way is that parents need to filter what a child learns elsewhere. Which filtering do we want to do?

Christian school - I'd literally have to reteach entirely on the subject of science.

Public school - we'd have to teach him that while we accept others for who they are, sexual... Um, abnormality? is not something to be "experimented" with.

Homeschool - we'd have to literally become his booking agent for socializing with other kids. We already somewhat do, but I'd imagine for him to develop properly in the socializing area, it'd be on a whole other level.

One of those seems easier than the other two, but maybe I'm missing something?

whoever put the roundabouts all the way up Yankee Hill needs to be subjected to some sort of medieval Chinese torture method. It's just ridiculous.

Used to live there. Once had a patient who was a traffic engineer for the city (seriously), and I asked him why Lincoln traffic is so legitimately retarded (I can say that word here, because it accurately describes Lincoln, NE traffic patterns without it being derogatory to the mentally challenged)... he basically said that when streets and lights were being designed, the system was Purposefully engineered for gridlock, specifically to keep folks from driving fast. I used to drive around town on gravel as much as possible when we lived there, just to avoid the damned lights. Rush hour anywhere near the center of town there is enough to make ANYONE homicidal.

That makes sense, because it truly feels that way. The lights and everything are set up to slow you down, so then I speed up more.

I think that the OP is more looking for people to say schools suck (which is fine, a lot of them do) and that the teachers are trying to manipulate kids (not really, but I am sure it happens) but is using the commute as the "reason" for wanting to homeschool.
actually have two family members (in-laws, but nonetheless) who are LPS teachers/para-educators. They both freely embrace their support of CRT, 'gender fluidity', all of the Woke bullshit being purposefully crammed down kids throats... they're like pot-committed on it. They try to defend it. Whoever's trying to say LPS is 'mostly innocent' or that it's just 'a couple fringe individuals', yeah you're wrong. It's systemic, within LPS. Lincoln, NE. Basically every private school in town have very long waiting lists for enrollment, smart parents trying to get their kids the F out of LPS. Anyone who says it's not a problem is LYING, straight up Ignorant as to what they're actually teaching (indoctrinating), or COMPLICIT in its being taught.

I wanted home school suggestions. I just found out yesterday that I won't be able to send my daughter to Standing Bear next year.

Of course school sucks, that's why it's arbitrary. It's kind of about learning, but mostly it's just for occupying young people for the day.

Yes, the commute really is that bad for me. I have bad anxiety, to some that seems to mean that I am incapable of teaching my daughter basic school shit.
Statistically speaking she’ll test better on act & sat.. good choice Jae

• Love
you do you man. BUT, think about what your kid is missing out on by having to stay home. So much of what is learned in life happens in the hallways between classes, before, after school. Interacting with peers, learning how to deal with real life issues that she isnt gonna get in a book or from a lecture or youtube video. I dont care how good a home school program is, I will never be convinced it can take the place of a traditional education. Even if you dont want to do sports, there are tons of other great things for kids to be involved in. If you want your kid to be sheltered from all the 'extra' stuff, then I get it, but I dont feel thats a good way to set them up for any hardships they will encounter in their life. I have met very, very few normal adjusted home school kids. They always got something weird going on with them. But, all kids are different, you know your kid best, but dont let a thing like traffic get in your way. Thats a WAY easier drive than I have getting my kids to school and then off to work. If it is too stressful for you, just hire someone to drive her everyday. Or pay another parent to do it for you.

The 1970s called. They want your old-school (no pun intended) thinking back.

Not every homeschool child is sheltered from the facts of life. Homeschool kids interact with their peers every bit as much as a public/private school kid. There are many "teachers" out in the real world. Not all of them are employed by the public school system. To think only public school educators are the only ones who can provide interaction and life lessons is, quite frankly, stupid and arrogant. I still do a lot with at least 2 public schools in my rural area. I have met very, very few normally adjusted public school kids. Many of them are weird.

actually have two family members (in-laws, but nonetheless) who are LPS teachers/para-educators. They both freely embrace their support of CRT, 'gender fluidity', all of the Woke bullshit being purposefully crammed down kids throats... they're like pot-committed on it. They try to defend it. Whoever's trying to say LPS is 'mostly innocent' or that it's just 'a couple fringe individuals', yeah you're wrong. It's systemic, within LPS. Lincoln, NE. Basically every private school in town have very long waiting lists for enrollment, smart parents trying to get their kids the F out of LPS. Anyone who says it's not a problem is LYING, straight up Ignorant as to what they're actually teaching (indoctrinating), or COMPLICIT in its being taught.
I don't teach in LPS so I can't speak intelligently about it.

I do believe that the private schools have a long waiting list. There are not many private school options in Lincoln, especially at the HS level.

I just got an email yesterday from Lincoln public schools, which told me the god awful news that Standing Bear High School will not be taking juniors and seniors.

This means that my daughter would still have to go all the way to southwest. That is just way too far from my home, standing Bear is basically my backyard.

Anyway, due to this development, I will be homeschooling my daughter instead. Any suggestions for the best way to home school? I'm not trying to do the church thing or any of that.
TONS of resources online now. Maybe one good thing that came from Covid is that lots of parents finally woke up to the garbage their kids are being taught in public schools.

Not every homeschool child is sheltered from the facts of life. Homeschool kids interact with their peers every bit as much as a public/private school kid. There are many "teachers" out in the real world. Not all of them are employed by the public school system. To think only public school educators are the only ones who can provide interaction and life lessons is, quite frankly, stupid and arrogant. I still do a lot with at least 2 public schools in my rural area. I have met very, very few normally adjusted public school kids. Many of them are weird.
How?

If a kid that attends school is there from 7am-3pm and a homeschooled kid is at home during those times, how does the homeschooled kid interact with their peers ever bit as much?

I mean, they miss the rides to school with friends, hallway talk, downtime in class, lunch, rides home.

Isn't is safe to say that they interact at a good amount but clearly less?

Based on his comments about his aggressive driving habits and getting "massive road rage", I just presume the OP is a tool, and filter everything accordingly.
Yeah, but doesn't everyone who lives in Lincoln have road rage? Not sure it's fair to hold that against him.

None of my kids have ever been taught this stuff so I'm curious. What age are they teaching it? As in it's part of sex Ed? Or they just randomly work it into all curriculum?

Yeah I remember when my oldest was in middle school 7 years ago. Looked at the curriculum for a history class he was taking. They had to learn about the Muslim religion, but those same teachers freaked the **** out about “separation of church and state” every chance they got. Can’t even imagine the backlash if there was a Christian based curriculum in that particular class.
Those that deny this kind of crap (and the fact there are indeed weirdos indoctrinating kids in public schools) are being intentionally dishonest to themselves, and everyone else.
On an unrelated note, social media needs to be taken away from these kids until they are adults. There are reports out now about the skyrocketing number of kids (especially girls) who have contemplated suicide. The only way to stand out anymore, is to be the absolute weirdest, and “out-woke” your peers.

The interaction doesn't come from teachers. It comes from other kids. For instance my kids have an hour bus ride each way (which I feel kind of bad about). They interact with kids of all ages on the bus, which I realize may be good and bad. A few times they even came home and said some random high school student helped them with homework on the way home (2nd grade). At their school 2nd graders are also required to read to pre-schoolers every 2 weeks. I just don't think that kind of interaction can happen at home or through zoom.

Also, if your kids teacher has half their hair buzzed off, and the other half is dyed a bright color, get them the hell out of that class, asap. It’s not the schools business as to why. Those people have a stunningly higher percentage of mental illness

The interaction doesn't come from teachers. It comes from other kids. For instance my kids have an hour bus ride each way (which I feel kind of bad about). They interact with kids of all ages on the bus, which I realize may be good and bad. A few times they even came home and said some random high school student helped them with homework on the way home (2nd grade). At their school 2nd graders are also required to read to pre-schoolers every 2 weeks. I just don't think that kind of interaction can happen at home or through zoom.

I get what you're saying here. But let's say you lived next to the school, and they could walk home.

Then let's say you have 2 options:

1) Let them walk to and from school 2 minutes each way.
or
2) The school allows you to have them ride the entire bus loop for an hour before getting dropped off at home/school.

Would you choose to have them ride the bus for 2 hours a day because of the experience? Or would you just let them walk across the street and do something else with those 2 hours?

How?

If a kid that attends school is there from 7am-3pm and a homeschooled kid is at home during those times, how does the homeschooled kid interact with their peers ever bit as much?

I mean, they miss the rides to school with friends, hallway talk, downtime in class, lunch, rides home.

Isn't is safe to say that they interact at a good amount but clearly less?

Sorry, guess I didn't realize that only interaction with peers is capable between 7am-3pm, Monday through Friday. From what I have heard kids tend to socialize with each other outside of normal school hours. Believe it or not, but there are probably plenty of homeschool kids in almost any residential area, not just your own. Sometimes they are allowed to leave their locked basement dwelling during the day and interact with all sorts of people. Young, old, Gen Z, millennials, boomers, etc. Also they are involved with sports, arts, debate, music, and every other sort of extracurricular activity you can think of. Occasionally, they might even run across a public school child accidently, although rumor has it sometimes they even date/marry kids who attended public schools.

I would say it is safe to say they interact a good amount, but don't agree it is clearly less. (Insert sarcasm emoji)

For what it is worth, there are good/bad homeschool situations, which is every bit the same as good/bad public school situations. Some people can homeschool, some can't. Some public school teachers can educate, some can't.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and WHCSC
None of my kids have ever been taught this stuff so I'm curious. What age are they teaching it? As in it's part of sex Ed? Or they just randomly work it into all curriculum?
both of my in-laws teach @ the HS level. One teacher, one 'para', and one is with some 'arts and humanities' subsection.... all I can say is that it's part of the curriculum where they teach, and that (yeah they're libs) they defend its being there. I've also had four kids go thru HS (not LPS but similar demographic), three did public and one did private, and difference was stark. Learned the hard way. My one kid put thru private, spared public education, was just better prepared for college. Maybe it was random, but I don't think so.

Last edited:
Yeah I remember when my oldest was in middle school 7 years ago. Looked at the curriculum for a history class he was taking. They had to learn about the Muslim religion, but those same teachers freaked the **** out about “separation of church and state” every chance they got. Can’t even imagine the backlash if there was a Christian based curriculum in that particular class.
Those that deny this kind of crap (and the fact there are indeed weirdos indoctrinating kids in public schools) are being intentionally dishonest to themselves, and everyone else.
On an unrelated note, social media needs to be taken away from these kids until they are adults. There are reports out now about the skyrocketing number of kids (especially girls) who have contemplated suicide. The only way to stand out anymore, is to be the absolute weirdest, and “out-woke” your peers.
this was SPECIFICALLY worse, with my kids, in the public schools. The private school we put our last thru basically confiscated all that crap during school hours, and cracked the F down on any 'cyber-bullying' or whatever you wanna call it.

Parents need the option of getting their kids OUT of shitty public education, and having Gubmint subsidize their private school cost. It's just abysmal.

It's like the peoole who designed that city had no idea it would ever grow. Wost street design management, ever.
My opinion here only. I always thought that as Lincoln was growing, some people ( downtown business owners or city council) was hard-core trying to protect downtown. Thus, didn't want to spend money on infrastructure as city grew. 30-40 years ago it was much easier to get around omaha than Lincoln.

Look at most metro area maps, circular beltways around as cities grow . Lincoln fought it for a long time until it was too late

Government school.
Public school. Locally governed. Supported by property taxes of local people. With excellent teachers who produce the next generation of citizens. Universal access to a public school is an incredible public good. Kids learn how to get along with their peers in schools and form important, life long relationships as a result.

Also, if your kids teacher has half their hair buzzed off, and the other half is dyed a bright color, get them the hell out of that class, asap. It’s not the schools business as to why. Those people have a stunningly higher percentage of mental illness
What about the PE teacher with the buzz cut?

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
Public school. Locally governed. Supported by property taxes of local people. With excellent teachers who produce the next generation of citizens. Universal access to a public school is an incredible public good. Kids learn how to get along with their peers in schools and form important, life long relationships as a result.

Yer killin me Smalls!!! Hahaha. You mind if I put that in my back pocket and use it at the next local improv??

Sorry, guess I didn't realize that only interaction with peers is capable between 7am-3pm, Monday through Friday. From what I have heard kids tend to socialize with each other outside of normal school hours. Believe it or not, but there are probably plenty of homeschool kids in almost any residential area, not just your own. Sometimes they are allowed to leave their locked basement dwelling during the day and interact with all sorts of people. Young, old, Gen Z, millennials, boomers, etc. Also they are involved with sports, arts, debate, music, and every other sort of extracurricular activity you can think of. Occasionally, they might even run across a public school child accidently, although rumor has it sometimes they even date/marry kids who attended public schools.

I would say it is safe to say they interact a good amount, but don't agree it is clearly less. (Insert sarcasm emoji)

For what it is worth, there are good/bad homeschool situations, which is every bit the same as good/bad public school situations. Some people can homeschool, some can't. Some public school teachers can educate, some can't.
Don't be sorry, it is okay that you said what you said and realized that it was just a bit off.

7am-3pm would be the school day, right? We agree.

So homeschool kids, unless you just have a giant population of homeschooled kids and those kids are all sort of the same age, are not doing a ton of interacting during the school day.

this was SPECIFICALLY worse, with my kids, in the public schools. The private school we put our last thru basically confiscated all that crap during school hours, and cracked the F down on any 'cyber-bullying' or whatever you wanna call it.

Parents need the option of getting their kids OUT of shitty public education, and having Gubmint subsidize their private school cost. It's just abysmal.
Very very true. Private. schools do. a much much better job with all of that.

both of my in-laws teach @ the HS level. One teacher, one 'para', and one is with some 'arts and humanities' subsection.... all I can say is that it's curriculum where they teach, and that (yeah they're libs) they defend its being there. I've also had four kids go thru HS (not LPS but similar demographic), three did public and one did private, and difference was stark. Learned the hard way. My one kid put thru private, spared public education, was just better prepared for college. Maybe it was random, but I don't think so.
Private school kids are super well prepared for college. The workload and expectations in. private school are just so much better, in my opinion.

Ha..I hate that this is true but it probably is true! Hahaha

I get what you're saying here. But let's say you lived next to the school, and they could walk home.

Then let's say you have 2 options:

1) Let them walk to and from school 2 minutes each way.
or
2) The school allows you to have them ride the entire bus loop for an hour before getting dropped off at home/school.

Would you choose to have them ride the bus for 2 hours a day because of the experience? Or would you just let them walk across the street and do something else with those 2 hours?
I get your point. I lived a block and a half from my elementary school. So I walked home (by myself!). I would say there is a lot of interaction in that walk home which often resulted in playing at the school whether it be just hanging out or playing basketball or whatever. And most days several of us would end up at a friend's house.

But I acknowledge your point. It's not for me but I certainly support people that do it. I guess I must have found the perfect little school because I don't have the problems that other people have. But then again I've had the older kids come home plenty of times in the last few years and talk about how teachers were discussing politics with kids, both parties, trying to influence them. Doesn't bother me. They will form opinions based on social media, not some middle-aged teacher.

Reactions: vin5000
Watch out for the English teacher with the purple hair, but not the math teacher looking down your daughter's blouse.
Yes, because you can’t watch for both of those kind of predators

That isn't true. Large parts of this country the way to get noticed is to have the loudest truck. Wear the fanciest camo. Post anti-lib stuff. I know this because my kids live it and I have relatives in a different state where it's the same. I have a high schooler who has fancy camo clothes he wears to school that he doesn't even hunt in. He hunts and has different camo for actual hunting. It's stupid.

Reactions: huskerj12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT