ADVERTISEMENT

Home schooling...

I know there is this idea that teachers are crazy woke but what you see on a TiKTok is really a super tiny %.

Most of us are "normal". We come to work, we do our job, we pretend to know our students names, we act like we just might "Make it to their game vs _______ high school tonight" and we go home.

I teach in a Class A school and I can say that the more far left and far right teachers in the building are totally normal with the students.

Most of us, just like most of you non-teachers, just don't want to get hassled or create more issues/work for ourselves.

I know more teachers that freak out about hall passes, restroom passes and library passes (librarians are insane about passes) than I do crazy lefties or crazy righties.

There are people in my family who are teachers at a federal school. They are normal, they seem to really care about their students.

The commute is probably my biggest issue (I get massive road rage/drive really fast). I also know how federal school is basically just a daycare. Unless a student does sports (I can't just create a league), there isn't anything done in school that I couldn't do myself. So I figure, why not homeschool? I think she will like it more once she realizes she can still hang with friends. I think that's her biggest concern.

And on a side note, don't fear roundabouts, I love those things! Traffic flows much smoother once people learn how to use them, which really isn't that difficult.

I live close to the new high school in Gretna and they installed a few of them getting into that school from 180th and I am very curious to see how the kids are going to do navigating those.

I get what you're saying but I think my dad said it best when he told me taking my 4 year old to a Husker game wasn't going to make them a Husker fan for life. Whether they root for the Huskers or not will be something they decide over many years and me forcing it won't matter one way or another.

I feel the same way about teachers now. They definitely get teachers that try to influence both ways but at the end of the day the kids will figure it out on their own. By high school kids are already molded anyway I think. They know right from wrong and should be able to think for themselves.

I could never pull off the homeschooling thing but totally respect people that are organized enough to do it. We had to do e-learning for an extra year for the all the kids n my house due to one of my sons having a medical condition and we were all ready to kill each other by the end.

I loved getting to have my kids home for the e-learning. It is what helped me remember how much time is wasted with the current school system.

Yea, my kids are like me already. It's mostly about the commute for me. It would be more convenient for us for my kids to school at home.

I live close to the new high school in Gretna and they installed a few of them getting into that school from 180th and I am very curious to see how the kids are going to do navigating those.
Funny you say that, I also live near Gretna and have driven those a few times. One night I was behind what I suspect was a really young, or really old driver who didn't know how to navigate them and ended up turning left in the roundabout and going clockwise. Fortunately there weren't any other cars around. The kids will need to learn to navigate those like they do any other driving condition.

I believe the main factor in a student's success is the level of parental involvement, especially at an early age (read to your kid!). So by default the average homeschooled student is going to get more of that than the average public school student - hence the higher scores. I don't advocate for either approach, we're a public school family and have no complaints (granted it was a suburban Omaha district, not OPS or LPS).

And on a side note, don't fear roundabouts, I love those things! Traffic flows much smoother once people learn how to use them, which really isn't that difficult.

The roundabouts wear out my tires big time.

Funny you say that, I also live near Gretna and have driven those a few times. One night I was behind what I suspect was a really young, or really old driver who didn't know how to navigate them and ended up turning left in the roundabout and going clockwise. Fortunately there weren't any other cars around. The kids will need to learn to navigate those like they do any other driving condition.

It's going to be a funny learning curve and I will stay off 180 during the morning...and after they let out. There will be some carnage.

You don't want your Jr/Sr to drive 12min on Saltillo and 14th because of traffic and the concern for safety? At what age can your daughter drive to Omaha? Kansas City? The 12min trip to SWHS seems like a great place to start learning to drive.
Are you worried she may hear something at SW (teachers or students) and question some thoughts or beliefs over dinner? Isn't that what we should want from our kids?

You don't want your Jr/Sr to drive 12min on Saltillo and 14th because of traffic and the concern for safety? At what age can your daughter drive to Omaha? Kansas City? The 12min trip to SWHS seems like a great place to start learning to drive.
Are you worried she may hear something at SW (teachers or students) and question some thoughts or beliefs over dinner? Isn't that what we should want from our kids?

I'm not letting her learn to drive with my car.

• Sad
Reactions: kidofSN
The roundabouts wear out my tires big time.

v9AQrq.gif

This is basically our commute every morning. Music blasting, me whipping around.

you do you man. BUT, think about what your kid is missing out on by having to stay home. So much of what is learned in life happens in the hallways between classes, before, after school. Interacting with peers, learning how to deal with real life issues that she isnt gonna get in a book or from a lecture or youtube video. I dont care how good a home school program is, I will never be convinced it can take the place of a traditional education. Even if you dont want to do sports, there are tons of other great things for kids to be involved in. If you want your kid to be sheltered from all the 'extra' stuff, then I get it, but I dont feel thats a good way to set them up for any hardships they will encounter in their life. I have met very, very few normal adjusted home school kids. They always got something weird going on with them. But, all kids are different, you know your kid best, but dont let a thing like traffic get in your way. Thats a WAY easier drive than I have getting my kids to school and then off to work. If it is too stressful for you, just hire someone to drive her everyday. Or pay another parent to do it for you.

you do you man. BUT, think about what your kid is missing out on by having to stay home. So much of what is learned in life happens in the hallways between classes, before, after school. Interacting with peers, learning how to deal with real life issues that she isnt gonna get in a book or from a lecture or youtube video. I dont care how good a home school program is, I will never be convinced it can take the place of a traditional education. Even if you dont want to do sports, there are tons of other great things for kids to be involved in. If you want your kid to be sheltered from all the 'extra' stuff, then I get it, but I dont feel thats a good way to set them up for any hardships they will encounter in their life. I have met very, very few normal adjusted home school kids. They always got something weird going on with them. But, all kids are different, you know your kid best, but dont let a thing like traffic get in your way. Thats a WAY easier drive than I have getting my kids to school and then off to work. If it is too stressful for you, just hire someone to drive her everyday. Or pay another parent to do it for you.
Maybe home schooling would of taught you some paragraphs..

I get what you're saying, but I did federal school, and I don't feel like I really gained anything by being in school. I did sports, and that's all I cared about really. I did really good in school, but that was just because I would get in trouble at home if I didn't get all A's. I was frequently bored at school. I skipped class alot. I liked when school was over, because then I would get to hang with friends and go actually do things. School just always felt like a waste of time. I had more experiences out of school than in school.

I get what you're saying, but I did federal school, and I don't feel like I really gained anything by being in school. I did sports, and that's all I cared about really. I did really good in school, but that was just because I would get in trouble at home if I didn't get all A's. I was frequently bored at school. I skipped class alot. I liked when school was over, because then I would get to hang with friends and go actually do things. School just always felt like a waste of time. I had more experiences out of school than in school.
Wait, hold on now. You mean to tell me that while you were in HS you thought it was a boring and you liked it when the school day was over?

Okay, you sir are what we call a "Unicorn" because no parent/or teacher has ever seen a HS kid like that before.

Just curious, did you you attend high school in Nebraska? I've never heard it called federal school and I just assumed you are from Canada or somewhere like that.

Where do you make friends as a teenager if not in school? I've seen a few homeschooled kids play public school sports but they are kind of outcasts. I felt kind of bad for them.

I think that the OP is more looking for people to say schools suck (which is fine, a lot of them do) and that the teachers are trying to manipulate kids (not really, but I am sure it happens) but is using the commute as the "reason" for wanting to homeschool.

I wanted home school suggestions. I just found out yesterday that I won't be able to send my daughter to Standing Bear next year.

Of course school sucks, that's why it's arbitrary. It's kind of about learning, but mostly it's just for occupying young people for the day.

Yes, the commute really is that bad for me. I have bad anxiety, to some that seems to mean that I am incapable of teaching my daughter basic school shit.

There are people in my family who are teachers at a federal school. They are normal, they seem to really care about their students.

The commute is probably my biggest issue (I get massive road rage/drive really fast). I also know how federal school is basically just a daycare. Unless a student does sports (I can't just create a league), there isn't anything done in school that I couldn't do myself. So I figure, why not homeschool? I think she will like it more once she realizes she can still hang with friends. I think that's her biggest concern.
whoever put the roundabouts all the way up Yankee Hill needs to be subjected to some sort of medieval Chinese torture method. It's just ridiculous.

Used to live there. Once had a patient who was a traffic engineer for the city (seriously), and I asked him why Lincoln traffic is so legitimately retarded (I can say that word here, because it accurately describes Lincoln, NE traffic patterns without it being derogatory to the mentally challenged)... he basically said that when streets and lights were being designed, the system was Purposefully engineered for gridlock, specifically to keep folks from driving fast. I used to drive around town on gravel as much as possible when we lived there, just to avoid the damned lights. Rush hour anywhere near the center of town there is enough to make ANYONE homicidal.

• Love
Reactions: Jaemekon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT