ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiskers are 13 underdogs in Columbus tonight

Your opinion. In my opinion it's the other way around - the offense's inability to do anything with Thor has certainly contributed to our struggles. Thor's not a guy who is going to work in a "dribble and throw up a bullshit shot" offense.
The fact that we seem to have 2 guys on the floor who contribute nothing on offense at all times is killing us. Thor does nothing, Yvan does nothing, Stevenson does nothing, Mayen has done nothing for the last couple of games, Webster has been missing wide open threes. If Teddy doesn't drop 20+ or Banton doesn't have a triple double we do nothing on offense.

Reactions: TheNewNU
My God!! Stevenson played decent at Pitt, McGowins was a double figure scorer in the ACC, Webster lit up Creighton and was lights out at one of the directional Illinois schools. WTF is going on? Thought we had a chance to be a .500 club. these guys suck!!!

Reactions: headcard
My God!! Stevenson played decent at Pitt, McGowins was a double figure scorer in the ACC, Webster lit up Creighton and was lights out at one of the directional Illinois schools. WTF is going on? Thought we had a chance to be a .500 club. these guys suck!!!
To be fair. We have played 4 top 25 teams in our last 5 games. But yeah we are awful

Reactions: dinglefritz
If they wanted to shut the program down for the year after this abomination tonight, I’d be okay with that. This is embarrassing. Given what was invested in the basketball program, this cannot be acceptable.

If this were the 90s this stuff wouldn’t happen. The older guys on the roster like Tom Wald and Lee Steinbrook would get in their faces and tell them to man up. They would just get in their face and yell at them to play better and they would.

The fact that we seem to have 2 guys on the floor who contribute nothing on offense at all times is killing us. Thor does nothing, Yvan does nothing, Stevenson does nothing, Mayen has done nothing for the last couple of games, Webster has been missing wide open threes. If Teddy doesn't drop 20+ or Banton doesn't have a triple double we do nothing on offense.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I blame the offense (or lack thereof) for those guys contributing nothing. I'd like to see ball movement resulting in better/open shots for the guys you named. Teddy and Banton both seem to think it's their birthright to take a shot every time they touch ball.

If this were the 90s this stuff wouldn’t happen. The older guys on the roster like Tom Wald and Lee Steinbrook would get in their faces and tell them to man up. They would just get in their face and yell at them to play better and they would.
Nowadays the kid will be in the portal if that happens. Part of the pussifcation of our society!

Plain and simple, we’re just a really poor basketball team. This offense is predicated on the 3 and we’re awful at shooting them. Plus, if you can’t make free throws then you’re screwed to begin with.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I blame the offense (or lack thereof) for those guys contributing nothing. I'd like to see ball movement resulting in better/open shots for the guys you named. Teddy and Banton both seem to think it's their birthright to take a shot every time they touch ball.
What are they supposed to do? Pass the ball to Mayen and Webster so they can miss open threes? Dump it off to Yvan so he can take one power dribble and then get his shot stuffed?

Who’s the worse team men’s basketball or women’s basketball. I thought Amy Williams was a good hire but they are bad

There are several guys that get a lot of minutes that simply have no business playing in the Big Ten.

What are they supposed to do? Pass the ball to Mayen and Webster so they can miss open threes? Dump it off to Yvan so he can take one power dribble and then get his shot stuffed?
Yep. I'd prefer that they attempt to run an offense.

Reactions: Baxter48
Your opinion. In my opinion it's the other way around - the offense's inability to do anything with Thor has certainly contributed to our struggles. Thor's not a guy who is going to work in a "dribble and throw up a bullshit shot" offense.

He can't hit an open shot, something he did quite a bit of last year.

Who’s the worse team men’s basketball or women’s basketball. I thought Amy Williams was a good hire but they are bad
They've had some numbers issues. I haven't read or heard if it's injuries or COVID but they played I think at least 2 games with only 7 girls available and I don't think 2 of them would be playing at all without the numbers shortage. I'm not sure they were even able to run practice for a while there. The little bit I've listened to onr of their games they were playing a highly ranked team I think.

No it wasn’t, but we never got a call attaching the basket like bucknuts did in the first 20 minutes...
we absolutely were getting hacked. It's one of the reasons that I've posted on here multiple times that how tall you are may sometimes not be as important as how wide your ass is. I watched most of the first half and our "bigs" such as they are, were getting moved easily by OSU's bigs. The refs let them get away with dipping a shoulder to get space for their shots. They had some stout athletic guys and we didn't match up in the paint. Our only hope was to rain threes OR get in an up tempo fast break game. That's hard to do when your opponent is shooting 70% in the paint.

Reactions: scarletred
This team looks terribly coached. Haven't been a fan of Hoiberg's approach since he got here. Threre's been way too much turnover with Hoiberg chasing out decent players and basically replacing them with mercenaries.

Man, I was pretty excited about Fred and Husker hoops this year. But this is a really bad team. This is one of the poorest shooting teams I can remember seeing in major college basketball in a long time. Very disappointing season so far.

I'm just glad that I forgot about the game until the last 45 seconds when I turned it on, and my was I overjoyed that I didn't make myself suffer through it.

This team just flat out sucks. Thor, Yvan, and Stevenson look like they don't even belong on a power 5 roster. Nobody outside of Banton, Teddy, or McGowens has done anything even remotely impressive this year. Better hope the younger McGowens can contribute right away next year.
McGowens IMO is the best player on the roster. He's definitely a B1G caliber guard. This team is a mess right now. They need to flush this loss and start over. The lack of true big men is killing us when we hit these teams with multiple guys who can play in the paint. Fred's offense has always been predicated on jump shooters MAKING 3s. Bad shooting unfortunately in my experience is contagious and it's in their heads. These guys can shoot better than they've shown.

They've had some numbers issues. I haven't read or heard if it's injuries or COVID but they played I think at least 2 games with only 7 girls available and I don't think 2 of them would be playing at all without the numbers shortage. I'm not sure they were even able to run practice for a while there. The little bit I've listened to onr of their games they were playing a highly ranked team I think.
What decent players did Fred "chase out"?
Brady Heiman? Lol. He fits perfectly at South Dakota. Cam Mack? Lol

Hoiberg‘s biggest problem is he hasn’t gotten the players yet. But this was a 3-5 Year build and this year hasn’t helped with a very short non con season and playing a tough big ten schedule when it’s a tough league. My only complaint is the offense looks terrible and he hasnt really changed it to try and win with the skill set these players have.

I think we're all so happy to have Hoiberg as a head coach that we tend to overrate any player that he takes a flyer on, when in reality he probably has about 3 Big Ten-caliber players. Hopefully that will change when the younger McGowens arrives and Fred's not just madly scrambling to slap together a roster.
I think you nailed it. There ARE in fact a couple of guys who I think will be good players for us IF they stick around. Teddy can be fun to watch, but I'm not sure his mentality is good for team basketball. McGowens is a stud but he has to have people around him to dish to. Definitely still missing some pieces. I don't like Banton at the point. Might be better at the 2 or 3 but he likes to slash from the top. Regardless of how Fred wants to play, he had better find a big guy or two and by big I don't just mean tall.

Reactions: DropKickSkeelo
I think you nailed it. There ARE in fact a couple of guys who I think will be good players for us IF they stick around. Teddy can be fun to watch, but I'm not sure his mentality is good for team basketball. McGowens is a stud but he has to have people around him to dish to. Definitely still missing some pieces. I don't like Banton at the point. Might be better at the 2 or 3 but he likes to slash from the top. Regardless of how Fred wants to play, he had better find a big guy or two and by big I don't just mean tall.
McGowans seems like a smart, tough player, but anyone who can’t score falls short of ‘stud’ for me.

Brady Heiman? Lol. He fits perfectly at South Dakota. Cam Mack? Lol

Hoiberg‘s biggest problem is he hasn’t gotten the players yet. But this was a 3-5 Year build and this year hasn’t helped with a very short non con season and playing a tough big ten schedule when it’s a tough league. My only complaint is the offense looks terrible and he hasnt really changed it to try and win with the skill set these players have.
I thought they would be better than they have shown so far. Very disappointed but unlike some, I wasn't ready to punch our ticket to the NCAA after those first 2 games. I'm not ready to completely write off the season yet but man the shots have to start falling.

I thought they would be better than they have shown so far. Very disappointed but unlike some, I wasn't ready to punch our ticket to the NCAA after those first 2 games. I'm not ready to completely write off the season yet but man the shots have to start falling.
We lost by 36 to a team down a player tonight.

The shots have to start falling? 90-54!

Platitudes are for losers. Season was over before it even started.

Reactions: vs540husker
McGowans seems like a smart, tough player, but anyone who can’t score falls short of ‘stud’ for me.
He CAN score. He HAS scored but when we don't have anybody who can make a perimeter shot and are facing teams with the kind of inside presence like we have, he struggles. His game is getting to the rim and he got battered tonight trying to do it. There's zero threat from outside to keep the defense honest. This game was sickening but I'll wait to judge these guys. They're not going to be what some thought but they could still go on a run. B1G is extremely tough this year though.

He CAN score. He HAS scored but when we don't have anybody who can make a perimeter shot and are facing teams with the kind of inside presence like we have, he struggles. His game is getting to the rim and he got battered tonight trying to do it. There's zero threat from outside to keep the defense honest. This game was sickening but I'll wait to judge these guys. They're not going to be what some thought but they could still go on a run. B1G is extremely tough this year though.
I started judging during the GT game. I was right.

This team is going nowhere fast. Might end the year as literally the worst team in B1G history. Not sure what you’re waiting to see. Ain’t happening.

I have asked this a couple times before but who is responsible for our team's S&C?

We lost by 36 to a team down a player tonight.

The shots have to start falling? 90-54!

Platitudes are for losers. Season was over before it even started.
So quit watching and quit posting about it then. The season is over. Just ignore them. OSU may have been down ONE player but they had 3 big guys that we don't have. IF you can't make a perimeter shot you HAVE to have a game in the paint and we don't. period. It's the problem I have with Fred's philosophy. You better have some guys who can really fill it up if you aren't going to recruit true big men.

So quit watching and quit posting about it then. The season is over. Just ignore them. OSU may have been down ONE player but they had 3 big guys that we don't have. IF you can't make a perimeter shot you HAVE to have a game in the paint and we don't. period. It's the problem I have with Fred's philosophy. You better have some guys who can really fill it up if you aren't going to recruit true big men.
Face the music, dingle. This team sucks and there’s nothing positive to say about them.

People who tell fans to quit watching are losers, too. I’ll never stop watching, and I’ll never stoop so low I stop complaining about how much these programs suck.

It’s embarrassing.

Reactions: vighawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT