ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiskers are 13 underdogs in Columbus tonight

Just tuned in. Man we are bad. I really hope Fred doesnt blow things up again next year. We need some consistency

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
JFC - Nebraska went more than 10 minutes without hitting a FG. 1 FG in the last 13:30 of the first half.

I know scoring droughts are part of the ebb and flow of a basketball game, but Nebraska’s foibles are at another level.

So frustrating to watch this team “play basketball”:

offensive strategy: one guy dribbles around and tries to penetrate while 4 others stand and watch? Is that seriously the great Hoiberg plan?

defensive strategy: over help on dribble penetration, leaving them constantly out of position eventually giving up either a wide open 3 or easy shot in the lane.

Seriously this looks like a team that just met in the YMCA.

Why does Fred not run the Screen & Roll anymore? It seems like that's all he used to run, now it's all just 1-on-1/dribble-drive. I don't get it.
Correct. He used to have a secondary break as well at Iowa State. This is bad basketball. These guys don’t shoot well but we just keep shooting off balance 3s.

can NU get a foul called where they shoot 35 consecutive free throws?

that's the only hope we have to get back in this game.

That will only work if we’re down 17. This team can’t shoot anything. The amount they miss by on some of these FTs and 3’s is deeply concerning. Makes me wonder just what the hell they do when they’re not in a game.

Boy I'll tell ya, how did we get so spoiled as to have not one, but TWO, head coaches that specialize in offense leading our football and basketball programs? Sarcasm aside, this is some hot garbage right here.

Correct. He used to have a secondary break as well at Iowa State. This is bad basketball. These guys don’t shoot well but we just keep shooting off balance 3s.
We arent playing team basketball. Kids this age start thinking about their tapes for other schools when your on a cellar dweller. We've gotta keep this core group we cannot blow things up for a 3rd year in a row.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I cant even watch any more. Teddy buckets has a new nickname....the black hole. When he gets the ball, no one ever sees it again.

These are two of the worst teams I’ve seen in my short life watching husker hoops (2000-2020) and that’s saying something.

Boy I'll tell ya, how did we get so spoiled as to have not one, but TWO, head coaches that specialize in offense leading our football and basketball programs? Sarcasm aside, this is some hot garbage right here.
I thought those 2 hires were the best thing to happen to Nebraska since the 90s. I’ll give Fred much more of a pass since he took over nothing on the roster. But I have a bunch of doubts. If you can’t shoot then get to the rack? Pass and move. It’s simple junior high stuff sometimes and this is like watching the Professor dribble around on the And1 mixtape tour.

Kudos if the 2nd half proves him right - but unless a major turn around happens he should serve a suspension for the remainder of the BB season for this take

2 assists. These guys don't like each other.
I think it's a big reason why Thor is struggling this year. He's an unselfish player and he just doesn't fit with this bunch of hero-ball Westbrook wannabees. I think we were better two years ago in Miles' swan song at the tourney with Trueblood, Borchardt, Thor, Amir and Roby.

Reactions: nudan92
Why does Fred not run the Screen & Roll anymore? It seems like that's all he used to run, now it's all just 1-on-1/dribble-drive. I don't get it.

It actually gets halfway run quite a bit. A) Yvan probably needs to roll faster, he’s also just not that skilled offensively, but B) Banton is never looking to pass to him. It was wide open again while typing this and Banton was already passing to someone else.

I think we're all so happy to have Hoiberg as a head coach that we tend to overrate any player that he takes a flyer on, when in reality he probably has about 3 Big Ten-caliber players. Hopefully that will change when the younger McGowens arrives and Fred's not just madly scrambling to slap together a roster.

It actually gets halfway run quite a bit. A) Yvan probably needs to roll faster, he’s also just not that skilled offensively, but B) Banton is never looking to pass to him. It was wide open again while typing this and Banton was already passing to someone else.
The screen and roll should not be run with Yvan. And why would Banton pass to Yvan? Even when he is open his first move is to power dribble one time and go nowhere. Then the defense swarms him and he finally puts up an attempt which is rejected or he throws nowhere near the basket.

Last edited:
Reactions: SomedayHusker
The screen and roll should not be run with Yvan. And why would Banton pass to Yvan? Even when wife open his first move is to power dribble one time and go nowhere. Then the defense swarms him and he finally puts up an attempt which is rejected or he throws nowhere near the basket.
Just saw Andre run it, he actually had some purpose running to the rim and Banton passed it to him, then he walked with it lol. We have to run some other sets to get guys to the rim but we just don’t.

I think it's a big reason why Thor is struggling this year. He's an unselfish player and he just doesn't fit with this bunch of hero-ball Westbrook wannabees. I think we were better two years ago in Miles' swan song at the tourney with Trueblood, Borchardt, Thor, Amir and Roby.

Thor's inability to do anything on offense has certainly contributed to our struggles.

I think we're all so happy to have Hoiberg as a head coach that we tend to overrate any player that he takes a flyer on, when in reality he probably has about 3 Big Ten-caliber players. Hopefully that will change when the younger McGowens arrives and Fred's not just madly scrambling to slap together a roster.
Do either McGowens even end up staying?

Just saw Andre run it, he actually had some purpose running to the rim and Banton passed it to him, then he walked with it lol. We have to run some other sets to get guys to the rim but we just don’t.
It looked better for sure. But at least last year we had more actions. We had flares and clears. We just were bad last year. This year we don’t do anything. We are more talented for sure but the game plan or execution is terrible.

This team just flat out sucks. Thor, Yvan, and Stevenson look like they don't even belong on a power 5 roster. Nobody outside of Banton, Teddy, or McGowens has done anything even remotely impressive this year. Better hope the younger McGowens can contribute right away next year.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Thor's inability to do anything on offense has certainly contributed to our struggles.
Your opinion. In my opinion it's the other way around - the offense's inability to do anything with Thor has certainly contributed to our struggles. Thor's not a guy who is going to work in a "dribble and throw up a bullshit shot" offense.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
ADVERTISEMENT