ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiskers are 13 underdogs in Columbus tonight

I started judging during the GT game. I was right.

This team is going nowhere fast. Might end the year as literally the worst team in B1G history. Not sure what you’re waiting to see. Ain’t happening.
Whatever. I'll wait for them to play the games. I enjoy watching McGowens. I think he's the best guard we've had at NU for a while on both ends of the floor. We need a team full of his athleticism and strength. He can score enough if you have 5 guys of his caliber on the floor. The rest of the guys I'm not wild about. I had hoped for a near .500 year this year. Not gonna probably happen. Somewhere Timmy Miles is asking "do you miss me yet?".

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Whatever. I'll wait for them to play the games. I enjoy watching McGowens. I think he's the best guard we've had at NU for a while on both ends of the floor. We need a team full of his athleticism and strength. He can score enough if you have 5 guys of his caliber on the floor. The rest of the guys I'm not wild about. I had hoped for a near .500 year this year. Not gonna probably happen. Somewhere Timmy Miles is asking "do you miss me yet?".
Yes, a team full of guys who’ve averaged 11 points/game for their careers is exactly what we need to get all the way up to the middle of the conference.

Face the music, dingle. This team sucks and there’s nothing positive to say about them.

People who tell fans to quit watching are losers, too. I’ll never stop watching, and I’ll never stoop so low I stop complaining about how much these programs suck.

It’s embarrassing.
I never said that they don't suck. I don't feel the need to voice it on a message board. They sucked tonight. I've seen them play well at times. Just not enough times yet. I've been watching Husker basketball since the days in the old Coliseum. I watched Stu Lantz and Nate Branch back in the day. Nebrasketball needs to get better players. Period. The McGowens are the start IF we can keep them happy. So after over 50 years of watching mostly futility I'm willing to give Fred some time to fix it.

I never said that they don't suck. I don't feel the need to voice it on a message board. They sucked tonight. I've seen them play well at times. Just not enough times yet. I've been watching Husker basketball since the days in the old Coliseum. I watched Stu Lantz and Nate Branch back in the day. Nebrasketball needs to get better players. Period. The McGowens are the start IF we can keep them happy. So after over 50 years of watching mostly futility I'm willing to give Fred some time to fix it.
We’ve needed better players since the very first year we laced them up.

Burn the program to the ground IMO.

We’ve needed better players since the very first year we laced them up.

Burn the program to the ground IMO.
We already did that. I'm not sure who you think could build a program at NU if Fred can't. I'll give it some time. I will give you credit for obviously caring. I think Fred's a smart guy and a really good basketball coach. I'll have to trust that he can turn it around. What worries me is if the McGowens both decide to go elsewhere. That would be a huge setback. I'm not sure if the new transfer leniency will be a good or bad thing for NU.

I dont miss Tim Miles at all. Tim at his best offensively was "Ok Terran go drop 30 tonight so we can win 60-58" He also didnt get a Power 5 big man in 7 years. Fred has at least gotten a couple with potential.

The most important thing for this team going forward is keeping Trey Delano Eduardo Derrick and Teddy around for next year. We absolutely cannot nuke this roster again.

I dont miss Tim Miles at all. Tim at his best offensively was "Ok Terran go drop 30 tonight so we can win 60-58" He also didnt get a Power 5 big man in 7 years. Fred has at least gotten a couple with potential.

The most important thing for this team going forward is keeping Trey Delano Eduardo Derrick and Teddy around for next year. We absolutely cannot nuke this roster again.
My Miles comment was in reference to the sub .500 record. I'm not pining for his return. I am very happy with the Hoiberg hire and Tim left him nothing, zip, nada. Tim's contract situation and the losing destroyed his recruiting and Fred tried a quick fix with transfers and jucos.

I thought they would be better than they have shown so far. Very disappointed but unlike some, I wasn't ready to punch our ticket to the NCAA after those first 2 games. I'm not ready to completely write off the season yet but man the shots have to start falling.
Agreed. I thought they would be improved for sure. I think they are talent wise compared to last year. But team wise not yet. However, there are like 9 new faces so I’ll give it 15 games and hope to see us build momentum for the future. A 5 star recruit should help significantly plus a shooter. Nice thing is in hoop you just need a few guys to make a difference.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Brady Heiman? Lol. He fits perfectly at South Dakota. Cam Mack? Lol

Hoiberg‘s biggest problem is he hasn’t gotten the players yet. But this was a 3-5 Year build and this year hasn’t helped with a very short non con season and playing a tough big ten schedule when it’s a tough league. My only complaint is the offense looks terrible and he hasnt really changed it to try and win with the skill set these players have.
Brady Heiman was terrible at Nebraska and he's averaging 1.6 PPG at South Dakota. This is like when people act like Noah Vedral has been successful at Rutgers.

Cam Mack clearly had a lot of off the court issues, can't really blame that one on Hoiberg.

I don’t understand the point of going out and recruiting these long athletic players when the bottom line is, a girls high school team can out shoot them.
Give me 5 Steve Kerr’s instead of 5 Usain Bolts.

Brady Heiman was terrible at Nebraska and he's averaging 1.6 PPG at South Dakota. This is like when people act like Noah Vedral has been successful at Rutgers.

Cam Mack clearly had a lot of off the court issues, can't really blame that one on Hoiberg.
The point of a big man is to play defense and grab rebounds. They don't have to score a lot to be effective.

Yep. Fred needs a little more time to get some players. Miles left the shittiest roster possible. I like where Fred is going already in recruiting.

Agreed. I thought they would be improved for sure. I think they are talent wise compared to last year. But team wise not yet. However, there are like 9 new faces so I’ll give it 15 games and hope to see us build momentum for the future. A 5 star recruit should help significantly plus a shooter. Nice thing is in hoop you just need a few guys to make a difference.
The problem appears right now to me that there's not much drop off in the next 3 off the bench for most of our opponents in the B1G this year. Damn some of these teams have a lot of good bodies to rotate in. All off season I kept hearing abotu how much bigger we were going to be this year. Meh. We're getting pushed around like rag dolls.

The problem appears right now to me that there's not much drop off in the next 3 off the bench for most of our opponents in the B1G this year. Damn some of these teams have a lot of good bodies to rotate in. All off season I kept hearing abotu how much bigger we were going to be this year. Meh. We're getting pushed around like rag dolls.
I hope the coaches understood this. If not then that’s not a good sign. I know last year Sadler was preaching patience with the program so I hope they had a good feel.

Who’s the worse team men’s basketball or women’s basketball. I thought Amy Williams was a good hire but they are bad
I just read last night that Amy had 3 of her best players transfer for COVID reasons before the season started. That explains it. All 3 said they wanted to play closer to home. Who can blame them? I said early this past summer that we were going to see bunches of kids re-evaluating their college choices due to COVID. My daughter has friends who are sitting out the spring semester at Harvard because of what they have to go through to be one campus this spring. That is after a semester of online off campus classes. Some of them won't go back to school I'll bet.

I hope the coaches understood this. If not then that’s not a good sign. I know last year Sadler was preaching patience with the program so I hope they had a good feel.
I absolutely think they understood this. It's exactly why Sadler was saying what he was saying. People wondered why they kept Thor. Now we know how tough it was going to be to start completely from scratch. Thors a good chemistry guy who plays good defense and has a great work ethic. Fred knew it was going to be tough. One wonders if he might have made a mistake taking as many transfers as he did that first year. Maybe he should have left some open holes and tried to keep some scrubs around while trying to recruit 5 freshmen with a future. I do like what I've seen from our freshmen but man they've got to get in the weight room this next off season. COVID really screwed with the freshman big man. I hear he's still not at 100% physically.

I don't know. Man there's some talent in these guys but it looks like the Island of Misfit Toys out there sometimes. The pieces aren't working together and nobody can make a shot. It will be interesting to see if Walker helps. I think his body in the paint might.

I absolutely think they understood this. It's exactly why Sadler was saying what he was saying. People wondered why they kept Thor. Now we know how tough it was going to be to start completely from scratch. Thors a good chemistry guy who plays good defense and has a great work ethic. Fred knew it was going to be tough. One wonders if he might have made a mistake taking as many transfers as he did that first year. Maybe he should have left some open holes and tried to keep some scrubs around while trying to recruit 5 freshmen with a future. I do like what I've seen from our freshmen but man they've got to get in the weight room this next off season. COVID really screwed with the freshman big man. I hear he's still not at 100% physically.

I don't know. Man there's some talent in these guys but it looks like the Island of Misfit Toys out there sometimes. The pieces aren't working together and nobody can make a shot. It will be interesting to see if Walker helps. I think his body in the paint might.
who are these freshmen you speak of? andre is the only freshman who's played in meaningful games, and the announcers don't even say his name. he's non-existent.

who are these freshmen you speak of? andre is the only freshman who's played in meaningful games, and the announcers don't even say his name. he's non-existent.
Elijah Wood is a 6-5 2 guard. He looks like he'll have some game if he gets stronger. He's played a little bit but we've got multiple guys in his spot who are stronger and more mature. In any other year, he would be an automatic redshirt spending lots of time in the weight room and dining hall. Signing the younger McGowens and keeping him here will be key IMO to building a program. Hopefully Fred can find some guys who want to play with him.

Andre was one of those rare kids who really got whacked by COVID according to what I've heard. He's lost some weight and stamina.

I think we need some perspective here:

Hoiberg's best season ended in a sweet-16 exit. he's won 1 first round game aside from that. he coached the Bulls, and never did better than .500 (once, his first year there).

I don't know what we all expected, but tourney births are hard to come by (as we all know), and they require 20 wins. right now, we are about 18 wins off the pace of even being considered on the bubble. since we'll never be able to schedule anyone in the non-con besides creighton (it's a losing proposition for opponents), we need to win 14-16 conference games to get to the tourney.

in this fan's eyes, the chances we go from 21 straight conference losses to consistently winning 14-16 league games per year is close to or right at zero.

once again, the best time to be a Husker fan is in the off-season or right after a shiny new coach is hired. definitely never when games are being played.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Elijah Wood is a 6-5 2 guard. He looks like he'll have some game if he gets stronger. He's played a little bit but we've got multiple guys in his spot who are stronger and more mature. In any other year, he would be an automatic redshirt spending lots of time in the weight room and dining hall. Signing the younger McGowens and keeping him here will be key IMO to building a program. Hopefully Fred can find some guys who want to play with him.

Andre was one of those rare kids who really got whacked by COVID according to what I've heard. He's lost some weight and stamina.
he's played 29 total minutes this season (few, if any, in meaningful B1G games).

3-11 from the field, 2-10 from 3.

maybe you can see what nobody else does, but that looks like an awful lot more of the same to me.

Hoiberg's best season ended in a sweet-16 exit. he's won 1 first round game aside from that. he coached the Bulls, and never did better than .500 (once, his first year there).

I don't know what we all expected, but tourney births are hard to come by (as we all know), and they require 20 wins. right now, we are about 18 wins off the pace of even being considered on the bubble. since we'll never be able to schedule anyone in the non-con besides creighton (it's a losing proposition for opponents), we need to win 14-16 conference games to get to the tourney.

in this fan's eyes, the chances we go from 21 straight conference losses to consistently winning 14-16 league games per year is close to or right at zero.

once again, the best time to be a Husker fan is in the off-season or right after a shiny new coach is hired. definitely never when games are being played.
Pavelka was a big purveyor of the hype for this team. I guess I'm glad he's a homer but clearly we've got a ways to go. Once again, IMO, leaving Miles hanging for 2 years was a mistake. We either should have sh## or got off the pot with him and his contract. I can understand that they weren't sold on him but when you leave a coach dangling like that you might as well just go ahead and fire him.

Pavelka was a big purveyor of the hype for this team. I guess I'm glad he's a homer but clearly we've got a ways to go. Once again, IMO, leaving Miles hanging for 2 years was a mistake. We either should have sh## or got off the pot with him and his contract. I can understand that they weren't sold on him but when you leave a coach dangling like that you might as well just go ahead and fire him.
I agree he got jobbed and it sucks for him since by all accounts Miles is a good dude. pretty shocked he hasn't gotten another gig yet, assuming he wants one.

he's played 29 total minutes this season (few, if any, in meaningful B1G games).

3-11 from the field, 2-10 from 3.

maybe you can see what nobody else does, but that looks like an awful lot more of the same to me.
True freshman who is a developmental piece. He hopefully matures in to a 6-5 guard who can come off the bench to spell guys like the McGowens brothers. He'll hopefully be one of those 4-5 year guys how gets better as he grows up. I never said he as going to be an NBA draft pick. I said I've seen him do some nice things. The very small sample I saw of him, he has looked like he's had some potential.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I agree he got jobbed and it sucks for him since by all accounts Miles is a good dude. pretty shocked he hasn't gotten another gig yet, assuming he wants one.
I played pickup ball with Tim when he was a small college assistant at a camp. I was pretty supportive of him, but I didn't care for some of the things he said and did regarding his players. People complained about his offense, but it looks now like he was John Wooden compared to what we saw in Columbus. In hindsight I think most would have to say that given NU's history, he brought in some pretty darned good players. He found some Juco guys that turned in to really nice pieces for him. The bottom line is that Nebraska has been a really tough sell to high schoolers. Fred is going to have to get lucky with throwing sh## at the wall with transfers for now. I think we'll see some roster churn this off season. #tougherjobthansomethought.

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
women upset #15 northwestern today

men haven't won a conference game vs anybody in 21 tries

Fred had a great run at Iowa State that included Back to Back Big 12 Tourney Championships. He was 46-26 in conference his last 4 years after a rough 3-13 first year where he was left w 4 scholarship players.

True, he had zero luck in the NCAAs. The Sweet 16 year, Niang broke a bone in his foot in the first round and still beat North Carolina in the second round. We lost by 5 to eventual NCAA Champions, UCONN, at Madison Square Garden. That team might have won it all with Georges.

The year before, again, our best defender Chris Babb sprains an ankle in the first half and we take Ohio State to the wire at Dayton. Some really questionable calls in that game late. That team was as likely as Wichita St to make the Final 4.

Year two we played UK’s NC team in round 2 and played them tougher than anybody in the tournament that year. If we’d gotten a 7 seed, I think they make the Sweet 16.

Admittedly, that 2015 loss to UAB was atrocious and likely because his bags were packed for the Bulls. Not sure why he thought he could be successful at the Bulls w their GM after Tim Floyd had a similar fate.

Fred is an offensive genius and his teams will be fun to watch when he gets it going. I’m confident that he’ll right the ship, and like Frost, I was wrong and thought it would be year two based on past performance. Your patience willbe rewarded.

SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
2010–11Iowa State16–163–1312th
2011–12Iowa State23–1112–6T–3rdNCAA Division I Round of 32
2012–13Iowa State23–1211–7T–4thNCAA Division I Round of 32
2013–14Iowa State28–811–7T–3rdNCAA Division I Sweet 16
2014–15Iowa State25–912–6T–2ndNCAA Division I Round of 64

Last edited:
Reactions: REDZONEDAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT