ADVERTISEMENT

High school football update

Benson was actually really good when I was in high school. Kenton Keith and Randy Stella were a couple of dudes.
They had some great players around the time I was in school. Jennings brothers, Troy Travis, several others.

I coached a different sport there years ago, the changes even then were hard to work and deal with for getting overall success. Being an OPS guy, it made it even harder.

Today too many OPS schools are seeing students with so many more pressing issues than athletics. Makes it hard to have such athletic success when it’s so low on the importance scale. OPS leadership has made things worse at almost every chance they can.

It's been a lot of years, my daughter graduated high school in 2002, but she went to public elementary, middle, and high school in Lincoln and she had amazing teachers every step of the way.

👍👍to you public school teachers who helped mold the wonderful adult that she is today!

I like when home schooled kids join a public school team or band. Where they are coached by...... public school teachers. Makes me chuckle.
Ha! Yes!

I have had a few home schooled kids on my teams. They were great kids, one was a great player. Luckily I did not ruin their life.

Reactions: baseball31ne
I'm sure his comment, just like yours, is legitimate because it's based off where you each live and what you're each seeing.

Living in Omaha and having plenty of private school choices, I'm with Kong. You couldn't pay me to send my kids to public school.

If I was back in my home town, my kids would be going to public school. Not driving 30 minutes to a private school + I think there's a lot of pros with small town schools.
Nailed it, although I do have family that came from small towns and send their kids to Westside I believe and actually get along fine there. Nothing would make me want to live in a metro area though

Reactions: HuskerO
Schooling is always interesting to see how different it is. I grew up in Colorado and moved to Nebraska in the 6th grade. When I got to Nebraska I was easily almost 2 grades ahead of where my school was at. For my kids, they are in a similar situation, but a little different. My younger daughter is in private year round school (1st grade) and she is on the heels of my daughter who is in 3rd grade at public school. My older daughter in 3rd grade is doing a flex public / home school due to a few challenges we have been dealing with is now starting to be ahead of where her public school friends are based on the couple hours my wife works with her at home. To me the biggest point of school is socialization and interaction with other kids. Traditional school is still too geared to a production system to create factory workers. Times have changed and schooling hasn't adjusted yet.

With all that said, it all equalizes in college and truly doesn't matter. It's just the path you chose and how hard you work for your end goal there.

**Edit - I also think college is overrated as well and should move more to a model after you graduate that you 100% focus on where you want to go and are not forced to take all the BS classes that don't matter.

Last edited:
Home schooling is always so interesting to me. I get "a lot" of students that have been homeschooled until HS and then generally they have "fought" with their parents so that they can come to a traditional HS.

Seems like by 9th grade they are ready to come to school.
My experience is that usually they are behind both academically and socially.

everyone who works in public anything is basically unemployable elsewhere

the worst of the worst, the most incompetent, the laziest, etc.

if they were at all capable, they'd be doing quite literally anything but working in a public warehouse for peanuts

I don't want my kids anywhere near those losers (teachers, admins, kids, parents, coaches, etc.)

my tax dollars earmarked for public whatever are a charitable contribution to the less fortunate

you're welcome
LOL. You are so wrong. Ex/Retired teachers are some of the most highly sought after employees. They have the ability to communicate, mediate, organize, multitask, adjust, learn, and most are highly educated.

You are crazy!

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
What is your school? I seriously doubt there is a school who’s enrollment should be lC-2 is class B in anything.
It’s impossible to be that way. I think he has been misinformed. Or Maybe when he says “should be C2” is a just a flawed opinion he has.

LOL. You are so wrong. Ex/Retired teachers are some of the most highly sought after employees. They have the ability to communicate, mediate, organize, multitask, adjust, learn, and most are highly educated.

You are crazy!
You’re probably right

Just look at all those ex teachers running the Fortune 500!

It’s impossible to be that way. I think he has been misinformed. Or Maybe when he says “should be C2” is a just a flawed opinion he has.
No it's actually not. My town is dying a slow death, the numbers that my former school has has to do everything with illegal workers from neighboring areas residing and their children boosting the number just above the C2 line listed, but still having to be Class B in track, wrestling, and other things. Should be C2 is absolutely correct and with the 3 year average that might actually happen in the next couple of years. Hopefully they let them then be C2 in all sports and not a mix and match of everything. Ogallala, Gothenburg and I think even Minden all kind of fit this narrative from what I've heard.

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_
No it's actually not. My town is dying a slow death, the numbers that my former school has has to do everything with illegal workers from neighboring areas residing and their children boosting the number just above the C2 line listed, but still having to be Class B in track, wrestling, and other things. Should be C2 is absolutely correct and with the 3 year average that might actually happen in the next couple of years. Hopefully they let them then be C2 in all sports and not a mix and match of everything. Ogallala, Gothenburg and I think even Minden all kind of fit this narrative from what I've heard.
What's your school

Leodis, you are confirming that "your school" (why won't you say who it is?) is in conformance with NSAA rules. They are Class B based on enrollment numbers, the same way everybody else is assigned to a class. So to say the school "should" be C2 is inaccurate based on the rules that exist.

Schuyler has dealt with a situation you describe. That town has been historically good at football and basketball. These days, a significant percentage of HS students there are Hispanic. Schuyler is now absolutely dreadful at football but has a good soccer team. But that doesn't mean they should drop a class. Do a headcount, assign them to a class based on the headcount, then get good coaches for the school's teams. It aint a difficult concept.

Reactions: Zeke2005
Leodis, you are confirming that "your school" (why won't you say who it is?) is in conformance with NSAA rules. They are Class B based on enrollment numbers, the same way everybody else is assigned to a class. So to say the school "should" be C2 is inaccurate based on the rules that exist.

Schuyler has dealt with a situation you describe. That town has been historically good at football and basketball. These days, a significant percentage of HS students there are Hispanic. Schuyler is now absolutely dreadful at football but has a good soccer team. But that doesn't mean they should drop a class. Do a headcount, assign them to a class based on the headcount, then get good coaches for the school's teams. It aint a difficult concept.
They aren't class B in everything. They are class B is a few select sports and class C-1 in the others and are closer to the list. That is the bigger gripe is how can you be in 2 different classes. It was the same way when I was in High School. We were in class B until I was a sophomore and then moved to C-1 in football, basketball, but still were B in golf, track, and wrestling and that is the same today. Why not class C-1 in everything?

Also, I feel bad for Schuyler. They are getting hosed and probably will have kids opt to other schools so they don't have to be in a shitty place. That also happens quite a bit, especially with farm kids. I had two kids in my school go to 3 different schools chasing sports.

I think the schedules are better now than when I was in HS, but we were a small school then and were playing McCook, Lexington, Chase County, Grand Island CC, etc. all teams with like 100+ kids on their sideline when we had 40 if we were lucky. That seems dumb. To me maybe they should run the classes based on participation and not just enrollment.

They aren't class B in everything. They are class B is a few select sports and class C-1 in the others and are closer to the list. That is the bigger gripe is how can you be in 2 different classes. It was the same way when I was in High School. We were in class B until I was a sophomore and then moved to C-1 in football, basketball, but still were B in golf, track, and wrestling and that is the same today. Why not class C-1 in everything?

Also, I feel bad for Schuyler. They are getting hosed and probably will have kids opt to other schools so they don't have to be in a shitty place. That also happens quite a bit, especially with farm kids. I had two kids in my school go to 3 different schools chasing sports.

I think the schedules are better now than when I was in HS, but we were a small school then and were playing McCook, Lexington, Chase County, Grand Island CC, etc. all teams with like 100+ kids on their sideline when we had 40 if we were lucky. That seems dumb. To me maybe they should run the classes based on participation and not just enrollment.
In recent years they moved to classify basketball by boys or girls enrollment and I’ve seen where boys team was large C2 and girls was in D1. That’s not uncommon. It was done to classify by gender in case say 65% of enrollment was boys, obviously earning less girls competing at a disadvantage. If your school’s enrollment is say 567 and that falls into Class B or C1 then that’s how it is. You are repeatedly saying they are just above the C2 line. That’s not possible.

Why are they c1 in some and B in others? Well one reason is all girls schools in Omaha means more girls teams. If your school’s enrollment is smallest in Class B in football they would be in C1 in girls sports due to more schools and younger pushed down to C1.

Many D1 football schools are C2 in VB, Track, basketball.

If your school agrees with you then they can opt down to C2 in everything.

Now it's making more sense to me since you mentioned C-1 rather than C2. Yes it's very possible for that to happen and my home town had the same situation but C2 and D1. Girls and boys sports sometimes wouldn't be the same since there was 1 more girls school at the time

If your school agrees with you then they can opt down to C2 in everything.
But if you opt down you're not eligible for state or district play. Then again if you're getting your butt handed to you does it matter??

I am head coach of a Class A sport but for us the #'s don't really matter. In fact, not surprising, schools much smaller than mine routinely kick my teams ass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT