ADVERTISEMENT

High school football update

I admit I do not know how Nebraska does their classifications.

For the most part, I have found Nebraska and Kansas pretty close in most of their rules. In KS we were on two year cycles and the numbers were separated boys and girls from classes 9-11 from the previous year. Occasionally, you would get the odd situation where a team would have one sport on one class and another class in others because of numbers in those classes and numbers to field teams.

I cannot believe in my wildest imagination, any state association weighing facilities in a decision where teams were placed. I used to go to those meetings every year, it was very cut and dried assuming your secretary counted correctly which I heard happened one time.
Nebraska does it the same they classify girls sports by girls numbers( 9-11) and boys sports by boys numbers(9-11) . They reclassify every year except football is done on a two year cycle. Ya OP was full of shit on the facilities comment.

Your point doesn’t stand. You said you played in a bigger class because you had a rich family that got you an extra gym. That was completely false. Now I do agree on some of the towns as you mentioned having immigrants and the kids not playing sports. How is that the NSAA fault not sure what they can do.
No it wasn't and my high school is still class B in wrestling that is 100% just a football metric. They are also class B in track as well. My point stands. We shouldn't be class B in anything. We are a lower class C school. SO yes, my point does stand.

I admit I do not know how Nebraska does their classifications.

For the most part, I have found Nebraska and Kansas pretty close in most of their rules. In KS we were on two year cycles and the numbers were separated boys and girls from classes 9-11 from the previous year. Occasionally, you would get the odd situation where a team would have one sport on one class and another class in others because of numbers in those classes and numbers to field teams.

I cannot believe in my wildest imagination, any state association weighing facilities in a decision where teams were placed. I used to go to those meetings every year, it was very cut and dried assuming your secretary counted correctly which I heard happened one time.
I always love the private school qualifiers!

Oh...you are 300 boys...well lets see here, multiply that, add this...now you have 450 students. Moving up a class!

So my point stands. Why should a school with 90 kids have to be class B in any sport where their enrollment is 400 ie Ralston? Also, towns like Lexington and places that are high immigration areas are going to get hosed. Barely any of those kids play sports unless there is a soccer team.

Good info though.
That is the hard part. A lot of the OPS schools have a hard time getting players out. @PeliniTheCrutch What does Benson have this year for FB 9-12...30 kids?

They are going to play Millard South in a week and it will be a blood bath.

That is the hard part. A lot of the OPS schools have a hard time getting players out. @PeliniTheCrutch What does Benson have this year for FB 9-12...30 kids?

They are going to play Millard South in a week and it will be a blood bath.
Haven’t seen them this year, but I’m guessing that number is pretty close.

At least when we played them last year, we(both teams) agreed to get the running clock going as soon as it hit 35 points, as opposed to waiting until the 2nd half.

So does the QB from Westside (Braylon Warren), he's an Elkhorn South kid. Tay Tay their stud RB just transferred from Central. It goes on and on at Westside and Millard South, most stud players are transfers jumping on those teams.

Heard Millard South added 11 players this past year that were already starters at their previous schools...
But let’s take away a state championship trophy because someone neglected to turn in paperwork on a kid who legit moved into the school district.

Reactions: T...Chafes
Haven’t seen them this year, but I’m guessing that number is pretty close.

At least when we played them last year, we(both teams) agreed to get the running clock going as soon as it hit 35 points, as opposed to waiting until the 2nd half.
Nice!
But let’s take away a state championship trophy because someone neglected to turn in paperwork on a kid who legit moved into the school district.
Ha! Westside tattled on that Gretna kid before the clock hit 0. Ha!

Benson officially ends their season. They will not play another game this year.
More schools will follow. It has happened before in previous years.

Open enrollment and weak “enforcement” is making some schools giants on the field and others the punching bags.

All of these Catholic schools have been recruiting for years. Skutt being the worst offender. The NSAA is just a huge joke. They have no idea how to class teams and you have small as schools that are in a class or 2 above where they should be just because they have nicer facilities then the schools around them. In HS I graduated with 54 kids and we were in class B. Ridiculous. We went to McCook one year and they had 125 kids on their sideline and we had like 40 including some freshman. We should have easily been C-2, yet were B in sports. They finally moved a few sports to C-1, but not all. This is dumb as well.
Catholic schools don't really need to recruit. Parents are going to send their kid(s) there regardless of "recruiting" due to the education.

I'll say Kearney High track definitely recruited which kept their state title streak as long as it was. They had kids from smaller towns such as Holdrege, Elm Creek and others throughout those years.

Which is fine, those athletes were way too good for the smaller classes so I'm sure it helped them prepare better for the collegiate level. But it would have been nice for those smaller schools to have kept their studs.

No it wasn't and my high school is still class B in wrestling that is 100% just a football metric. They are also class B in track as well. My point stands. We shouldn't be class B in anything. We are a lower class C school. SO yes, my point does stand.
Here is what you also said earlier.
They also weigh facilities as well in their decision
This is wrong, as others have pointed out, which is why you're hearing "your point doesn't stand."

For the 100th time, private schools HAVE TO "RECRUIT". They want as many kids as they can hold in their building.

90% of the kids at private schools are not playing varsity sports. They are literally trying to get anyone that can handle the academic workload AND kids that can handle it without tons of extra resources and accommodations.

There is nothing "illegal" about what they do. And I know the next complaint "THEY OFFER SCHOLARSHIPS". Yep...500 dollars, sometimes 1000. Totally helps with that 13K a year tuition.

Catholic schools don't really need to recruit. Parents are going to send their kid(s) there regardless of "recruiting" due to the education.

I'll say Kearney High track definitely recruited which kept their state title streak as long as it was. They had kids from smaller towns such as Holdrege, Elm Creek and others throughout those years.

Which is fine, those athletes were way too good for the smaller classes so I'm sure it helped them prepare better for the collegiate level. But it would have been nice for those smaller schools to have kept their studs.
If you don’t think Omaha Skutt recruits as well as other Catholic schools you are delusional. Wrestling was the worst and it has now moved to other sports

When a Class A school can’t field a variety team there are major problems, not solely with that school. Largest school is Grand Island with around 1500 boys, smallest is South Sioux City with around 600 boys. It’s unreal that schools aren’t able to have enough participants even at the smallest of Class A.

If you don’t think Omaha Skutt recruits as well as other Catholic schools you are delusional. Wrestling was the worst and it has now moved to other sports
OF COURSE THEY RECRUIT!

They literally have open houses and shadow visits and they visit middle schools to talk about their high school and they offer "Jr" teams.

They do not have kids that are automatically forced to attend their school.

When a Class A school can’t field a variety team there are major problems, not solely with that school. Largest school is Grand Island with around 1500 boys, smallest is South Sioux City with around 600 boys. It’s unreal that schools aren’t able to have enough participants even at the smallest of Class A.
Years ago, when I started teaching, I was at a school where we had like 18-20 kids out for FB. I told the HC that needed to change (he was awesome, I loved him) and so we started to hype it up and give out T-shirts and wristbands and we promoted and "recruited" like crazy. We wanted every boy out, even if they were just on the team to wear a jersey and never play.

We went from 20 to 50+ in one year. A lot of those kids only got in during blowouts or play JV but it didn't matter. We just wanted numbers and it worked. The biggest thing is we made it "fun" for those kids.

I didn't mean to imply that they did zero recruiting. Just that many of these kids were probably going to go to Skutt (or whatever private school) anyway without Skutt recruiting them.

If you're a good wrestler, you want to go to a good program, you go to Skutt (their choice). That's not really recruiting in my mind.

Private schools need to have a multiplier on numbers to bump them up
I have always been curious about this, why?

I understand if it is one-gender school.

But if it is coed, why a multiplier?

With that said, I coached at Boys Town years ago...fans in the stands from other schools would argue that we "recruited" kids...yeah, we recruited kids that got beat by their parents and got hooked on drugs at 13.

No they don't. That is punishing people just for having success
The two most badass FB teams in Illinois are East St Louis (Total ghetto school but they KILL teams) and Mt. Carmel, bad ass private school.

No multiplier is applied to Mt, Carmel, nor should it be. East St Louis is literally one of the worst places in America, yet, they destroy teams.

I agree with you, punishing schools for being good makes no sense to me. If East St Louis can get 100 kids out and dominate, so can anyone else.

I have always been curious about this, why?

I understand if it is one-gender school.

But if it is coed, why a multiplier?

With that said, I coached at Boys Town years ago...fans in the stands from other schools would argue that we "recruited" kids...yeah, we recruited kids that got beat by their parents and got hooked on drugs at 13.
Maybe do what Texas does and have private schools in their own divisions

Maybe do what Texas does and have private schools in their own divisions
Sure...I can see that. I don't totally get it though.

No one ever bitches about the HORRIBLE private schools. Like OCA or Concordia or Brownell Talbot or Mercy or Duchesne or Gross...

Those teams are DOORMATS

Reactions: Zeke2005

No one ever bitches about the HORRIBLE private schools. Like OCA or Concordia or Brownell Talbot or Mercy or Duchesne or Gross...

Those teams are DOORMATS
Our state population is so low it would never work but I just hate seeing kids that live in a school district going to another rival school. If you are good enough the scouts will find you

Also, if you think private schools are better because their head FB coach (who is getting paid less to teach and less to coach) can correctly identify which 7th and 8th grade boy will KEEP growing and be awesome at FB by the time he goes from 12 to 17...well, that is insane.

All of us know more kids that "dominated" as 7th graders...because they had hair on their pits and balls...and never ended up growing past 5'8 and 150 pounds.

Reactions: HuskerO

Those teams are DOORMATS
Your thoughts about private schools not taking SPED kids and/or not counting SPED kids(Skutt)?

Reactions: Zeke2005
Our state population is so low it would never work but I just hate seeing kids that live in a school district going to another rival school. If you are good enough the scouts will find you
I agree and I agree.

Your thoughts about private schools not taking SPED kids and/or not counting SPED kids(Skutt)?
They do take them. They just let the families know that they don't have the resources for them and that they won't make "major" accommodations for them but still d 504's, but I honestly don't know if that always = SPED, I think it depends.

So then as you know for a lot of parents they are scared of that, because that is a really scary thing for parents and the student. It is not that they don't want to help that kid, it is that they just don't have SPED teachers, who honestly are the best teachers in a HS by far (I personally think Kindergarten teachers are the most amazing teachers, I don't know how they do it) but SPED teachers at the HS level are miracle workers. I have also felt, and I am not a SPED teacher at all, not even close, but SPED teachers make THE BEST coaches. They also usually have the best sense of humor.

As far as not counting them, I have never heard that. that would be stupid on their part.

I

Reactions: HuskerO
They do take them. They just let the families know that they don't have the resources for them and that they won't make "major" accommodations for them but still d 504's, but I honestly don't know if that always = SPED, I think it depends.

So then as you know for a lot of parents they are scared of that, because that is a really scary thing for parents and the student. It is not that they don't want to help that kid, it is that they just don't have SPED teachers, who honestly are the best teachers in a HS by far (I personally think Kindergarten teachers are the most amazing teachers, I don't know how they do it) but SPED teachers at the HS level are miracle workers. I have also felt, and I am not a SPED teacher at all, not even close, but SPED teachers make THE BEST coaches. They also usually have the best sense of humor.

As far as not counting them, I have never heard that. that would be stupid on their part.

I
Agree to disagree on nearly everything you wrote.

Also they don’t have kids from poor families that didn’t have the $ to spend on youth teams, traveling the Midwest for tournaments. And in high school a lot of those kids have to get a job. That’s true in every size of public school, a portion of the enrollment just can’t participate.

Also they don’t have kids from poor families that didn’t have the $ to spend on youth teams, traveling the Midwest for tournaments. And in high school a lot of those kids have to get a job. That’s true in every size of public school, a portion of the enrollment just can’t participate.
The BEST high school FB team in the state of Illinois is East St. Louis. The poorest most crime ridden area maybe in the country.

How do you explain their dominance when those kids were not able to "go to a camp" because of poorness.

Look at these gems

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT