ADVERTISEMENT

Helium is non-renewable

Jun 28, 2016
And that thing you guys do with the balloons after the first score is the most unnecessary tradition in college football. Have you ever seen it on TV? It looks like a limp wrist. The "black shirts" is a cool thing. The tunnel walk is a cool thing. With the balloons, you're wasting for no reason. There's no way it's a live thrill. It's balloons. Just a critique from a Hawkeye fan. We may once again need all the helium we can gather. For science.

You will get a lot of hate for that. But it is a tradition that I could live without honestly.
I'm expecting hate for it. We have worse in Iowa City. The burrito lift. It's not something anyone takes seriously, but if you get drunk enough you might do it to try to land on camera at Kinnick.

BTW, I would love to visit Memorial Stadium. I'm gonna have to convince my dad that we should forego the big family Thanksgiving one year and get a room in Omaha on a Thursday night. Him and my two younger brothers. Assuming Omaha is cheaper than Lincoln on a game weekend.

Seriously? You start a thread just for this? A little bored today?
Precisely. I know it's not most of your regulars, but we get a lot of Minnesota and Nebraska people on our board who are posting nonsense. Instead of outright flaming, I thought I'd start a discussion. So I picked on a goofy tradition.

And that thing you guys do with the balloons after the first score is the most unnecessary tradition in college football. Have you ever seen it on TV? It looks like a limp wrist. The "black shirts" is a cool thing. The tunnel walk is a cool thing. With the balloons, you're wasting for no reason. There's no way it's a live thrill. It's balloons. Just a critique from a Hawkeye fan. We may once again need all the helium we can gather. For science.

I've always enjoyed it and it's especially really cool for the younger fans that come to their very first Nebraska game.

How about you're Pink visiting locker room ? talk about distasteful.:cool:

Reactions: t7w0c1 and jeans15
I've always enjoyed it and it's especially really cool for the younger fans that come to their very first Nebraska game.

I don't know about distasteful. It's certainly a thing. Hayden said it was about psychology and colors. Many mentally tough teams have come into Kinnick and defeated us (including UN-L). He coached for almost 20 years. After that, it's tradition. The biggest objections have come from UI law professors and Michigan coaches.

BTW, I hadn't thought about the kids. That would be a really cool thing to see live if a youth group of Husker fans from who-knows-where pooled together and got tickets. That's a really great experience as a kid. That was my second visit to Kinnick. The youth group chartered a bus in 2002 and we watched Iowa shut down the TD streak of Charles Rogers.

Oh my gosh, what would the world do without helium?????? Just think of all the precious little kids that wouldn't have any balloons at their parties!!

Of course you're from Iowa

BTW, I would love to visit Memorial Stadium. I'm gonna have to convince my dad that we should forego the big family Thanksgiving one year and get a room in Omaha on a Thursday night. Him and my two younger brothers. Assuming Omaha is cheaper than Lincoln on a game weekend.
Only if you buy a balloon.

Reactions: huskerbux
If I remember right, the balloon tradition was addressed a few years ago. Between the helium shortage and the litter created when the balloons eventually come down, the tradition was almost halted. Then it was determined the helium shortage wasn't as dire as some thought so the tradition continued. There are some people in Nebraska who want the tradition to end, but I think it is a minority. I can understand their arguments and it wouldn't bother me seeing the tradition end.

Go away. I hate Iowa worse than dog crap on my shoes.

I like the balloon tradition.

Iowa sucks

+1

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

We have helium balloons. You might not be able to cope.

It's a dumb tradition.

However, the real problem with helium is that it can only be created by a star. And the United States has a huge supply of it. But then Congress got tired of paying a tiny amount of money every year to maintain the supply, so they decided in their infinite wisdom to dump it. You know, because stars can always make more. So now our storage of helium is 1/4 of what it was in 1980. But thankfully stars can always make more.

The balloon release is super dumb. Anybody over the age of seven who goes for it needs to be put in a giant diaper with a pacifier in their mouth and publicly ridiculed.

Oh my gosh, what would the world do without helium?????? Just think of all the precious little kids that wouldn't have any balloons at their parties!!
Helium is important for a lot of technology and is in short supply in a use vs capture model. The tradition is stupid, helium is important, end it.

It's a dumb tradition.

However, the real problem with helium is that it can only be created by a star. And the United States has a huge supply of it. But then Congress got tired of paying a tiny amount of money every year to maintain the supply, so they decided in their infinite wisdom to dump it. You know, because stars can always make more. So now our storage of helium is 1/4 of what it was in 1980. But thankfully stars can always make more.

The balloon release is super dumb. Anybody over the age of seven who goes for it needs to be put in a giant diaper with a pacifier in their mouth and publicly ridiculed.
Not sure I want to be publicly ridiculed, but having somebody put a giant diaper on me and put a pacifier in my mouth sounds kind of cool.

Reactions: sparky62 and Jnood
There has to be video somewhere of the balloon release at its absolute peak. Show that video on the big screen after the first score. That way the people who love that tradition can still see it, while those who want to get rid of it can feel like they saved the planet. Everybody's happy - unless it's being shown mid-way through the 3rd quarter of an ass-whipping. Then nobody's happy, but at least they weren't stuck holding a balloon for 2 hours.

One thing we shouldn't do to solve the helium crisis, is quit scoring!

Steel is also a non renewable resource. Maybe you should tear down that ugly thing you call a stadium in Iowa City and we can use the steel for other uses. There may not be anything more useless in the entire world that the trash heap Iowa calls a football program.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I vaguely remember from grade school in the 70s that helium came from uranium, either from mining or nuclear reactors or both. Not sure but in my head for some reason. Maybe our supply is less because someone gave a good share of our uranium away. Thought I would throw that in there because the bombing of Syria thread proved we could have a civil political discussion.

Another thought. Helium in a balloon, after the balloon bursts, is still in the atmosphere. It's not lost or burned. It's repurposed. So technically it isn't renewable because it wasn't actually USED in the first place.

Maybe it's just my simple mind.

I vaguely remember from grade school in the 70s that helium came from uranium, either from mining or nuclear reactors or both. Not sure but in my head for some reason. Maybe our supply is less because someone gave a good share of our uranium away. Thought I would throw that in there because the bombing of Syria thread proved we could have a civil political discussion.

Another thought. Helium in a balloon, after the balloon bursts, is still in the atmosphere. It's not lost or burned. It's repurposed. So technically it isn't renewable because it wasn't actually USED in the first place.

Maybe it's just my simple mind.
You would be mistaken about helium in the United States.
US helium comes from natural gas. We used to have huge reserves of it but have been selling it off for awhile now to pay off the debt caused by gathering that helium, i think that is paid off now but I'm not sure. It was a good move to pay off the debt of it, and from what I understand the government still controls the reserve so hopefully we can just keep what we need and pay it off by selling what we don't.

Also helium escapes the atmosphere it's stayed relatively the same concentration in the atmosphere despite increases use and mining of natural gas.

US helium comes from natural gas. We used to have huge reserves of it but have been selling it off for awhile now to pay off the debt caused by gathering that helium, i think that is paid off now but I'm not sure. It was a good move to pay off the debt of it, and from what I understand the government still controls the reserve so hopefully we can just keep what we need and pay it off by selling what we don't.

Also helium escapes the atmosphere it's stayed relatively the same concentration in the atmosphere despite increases use and mining of natural gas.
Thanks for the info. Just curious about your first sentence. US.... Is it different in other countries? Also, new natural gas field s mean more helium??

For now helium we use is fractionally distilled from natural gas. To say it is a non-renewable resource is technically true, but so is crude oil and I don't see a whole lot of people not filling up their SUVs because of it. In several hundreds or thousands of years when there is no natural gas left, if there are still people, the United States, the State of Nebraska and Nebraska still plays football, I'm sure the ingenuity of humans will devise a way to produce helium some other way. Or, our future Nebraskans can just fill the balloons with hydrogen. Maybe by then Nebraska will once again have a running game.

Thanks for the info. Just curious about your first sentence. US.... Is it different in other countries? Also, new natural gas field s mean more helium??
Not sure if everyone gets it from natural gas I would guess probably(not a chemical engineer) it gets in the natural gas from radioactive decay way down so maybe other people have other ways, I do not know. From what I understand the US is the biggest player by far in Helium though. More natural gas should mean more helium, I think the 'crisis' is not really due to there not being helium, but that what we had in reserve is being sold off at a very low price so it gets wasted when it is actually very important.

We could do away withy the helium, we could just use Hawkeye Hot Air from Iowa fans.

Not sure if everyone gets it from natural gas I would guess probably(not a chemical engineer) it gets in the natural gas from radioactive decay way down so maybe other people have other ways, I do not know. From what I understand the US is the biggest player by far in Helium though. More natural gas should mean more helium, I think the 'crisis' is not really due to there not being helium, but that what we had in reserve is being sold off at a very low price so it gets wasted when it is actually very important.
Ok your response bring another question. If it's relatively cheap, why are we selling? Is it more plentiful and price following supply/demand? Would think more strategic to double down when prices are low.....Buy low sell high.

Ok your response bring another question. If it's relatively cheap, why are we selling? Is it more plentiful and price following supply/demand? Would think more strategic to double down when prices are low.....Buy low sell high.
We were selling to get rid of a debt and privatize helium, it shouldn't be as cheap as we are selling it but this is a close out dump, the US owns the market, we are not capitalizing on a market we own. It is being done to privatize helium. Helium started being privatized in 1996 .

We were selling to get rid of a debt and privatize helium, it shouldn't be as cheap as we are selling it but this is a close out dump, the US owns the market, we are not capitalizing on a market we own. It is being done to privatize helium. Helium started being privatized in 1996 .
So what government agency is selling it? And who's/what debt? Heck, with all the extra BIG money we're getting we should stock up and corner the market.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT