ADVERTISEMENT

Hank Hughes out

Hughes getting canned explains our DT recruiting this past cycle. I don't think VV leaving had much if anything to do with Hughes. I've liked the concept of some of the names I've seen but IMO, a young dynamic coach of color would be a welcome addition as a DLine coach.

So if we lose Michigan State you don't think this staff is subject to serious scrutiny? They are already subject to heavy scrutiny and we won the game. Explain...
They wouldn't be under any more scrutiny to the people who matter if they would have lost to MSU.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Hughes getting canned explains our DT recruiting this past cycle. I don't think VV leaving had much if anything to do with Hughes. I've liked the concept of some of the names I've seen but IMO, a young dynamic coach of color would be a welcome addition as a DLine coach.
I could care less about a coach of color as long as they can actually coach and recruit.

I agree but IF all other things are equal I'm probably hiring the guy with more active melanocytes.
I hear ya. I want an energetic guy who the kids want to play for and will bring it everyday. I really like Williams, Bray, and Philipp's enthusiasm. Maybe it will rub off on some of the others and soon bring us a championship.

I don't think women in Mississippi hold a candle to women in Nebraska. Now, there may be more of them, but on average I think the women of Nebraska more than hold their own.
The issue for some recruits isn't the number of women. One recruit from an urban area a few years ago asked, and I quote, "where's all the sisters?". Think about it. Look at all our cheerleaders and the Scarlets dance team. I dunno maybe it's similar at other universities but I don't remember seeing all that many young black women on campus.

He likes Michigan (the state of) but wouldn't return ti Nebraska?

Seems strange to me.
He would leave where he's at for NU in a heartbeat IMO. Many NU fans would do cartwheels including probably most of the Solichistas and Tom worshipers. That said, I don't what he would bring to the table for recruiting and his experience as a coach is limited. I would think his NFL experience would be a plus when visiting with recruits.

Was there something about Hughes that was different than Banker and Stewart? Maybe Riley should be replacing all the defensive coaches, except for Bray of course.

Was there something about Hughes that was different than Banker and Stewart? Maybe Riley should be replacing all the defensive coaches, except for Bray of course.
Our defense appeared to bet MUCH better as the season went on. IMO, Banker was not the problem last year. Our problems stemmed almost entirely from injuries and lack of depth at multiple positions coupled with a complete defensive scheme overhaul. The lack of depth lies squarely at our former coaching staff. If you didn't notice we scrambled to find linebackers Riley's first class and we hit defensive recruits very hard again. Starting over with a new coordinator and DB coach would be stupid. We'll either sink or swim with an adjustment or two along the way because IMO the only way Banker goes is if Riley goes. So in other words, get used to it.

Damn I screwed it up again. I thought it was JP when it was actually Rathman that loves where he's at. My bad. I'll just mod & not post anymore.
Laughing I wondered if you had gotten in to a little too much smoke today or something. That or maybe you were hitting the sauce. Northeastern Southcentral Michigan State versus NU? Mmmmmm I'm thinking he would do cartwheels if he got that call.

Reactions: HBK4life
Damn I screwed it up again. I thought it was JP when it was actually Rathman that loves where he's at. My bad. I'll just mod & not post anymore.

I'm glad you cleared that up, Sparky. I wouldn't want Parella to come down here and snap you like a twig for starting a rumor that cost him his dream job at his Alma mater!

John Blake is off ncaa probation now. he's the guy who recruited suh

The issue for some recruits isn't the number of women. One recruit from an urban area a few years ago asked, and I quote, "where's all the sisters?". Think about it. Look at all our cheerleaders and the Scarlets dance team. I dunno maybe it's similar at other universities but I don't remember seeing all that many young black women on campus.
Riiiiiiiiiight. Because recruits from "urban" areas don't dig on whitey.

If that were a factor the kids wouldn't be going to Old Miss, they'd go to Mississippi State, Old Miss doesn't exactly welcome African Americans with open arms unless they play sports. Mississippi State is the school in the state that would be more welcoming.

If that were a factor the kids wouldn't be going to Old Miss, they'd go to Mississippi State, Old Miss doesn't exactly welcome African Americans with open arms unless they play sports. Mississippi State is the school in the state that would be more welcoming.
I can tell you that it most certainly was a factor for at least one recruit that was considering NU. Maybe it wasn't a deciding factor but he felt it worth mentioning to his recruiter. It was a long time ago but the makeup of our student body hasn't changed appreciably. I would note that most urban or southern schools even if not having a very diverse population would still be surrounded by a more diverse community.

Riiiiiiiiiight. Because recruits from "urban" areas don't dig on whitey.
It's just a fact of life that some kids are more comfortable around other kids of their same race. Get off your politically correct high horse and pay attention to the world around you. It's the way it is.

Go get the best Polyneisan coach you can find! If it's Thompson...great. If it isn't go find one. There is no position that we need the poly influence more than the DL!
If you want the Hawaiian kids, here's my recommended hire:

dog-bounty-hunter.jpeg

Reactions: headcard
Heard nothing but good things about him. Was hoping to see him stick with TEs...who would take over TE coaching?

I'm not sure how it would shake out. Perhaps he could do both? I'm not sure how that would work but I very much want to keep him around.

What do you think will happen and why? Just curious.
I think it will be a promotion from within, and we'll hire Tavita. We already hired his replacement GA, IMO. Why? One of the very few people Riley hasn't coached with is gone after 1 year. He just prefers to hire guys he knows really well. He's got an unpaid person on his staff that has coached the position before.

There are 2 reasons this doesn't fit, that he is young and not really a proven recruiter.

Do I actually know anything about this situation? Nope.

Reactions: nebcountry
I think it will be a promotion from within, and we'll hire Tavita. We already hired his replacement GA, IMO. Why? One of the very few people Riley hasn't coached with is gone after 1 year. He just prefers to hire guys he knows really well. He's got an unpaid person on his staff that has coached the position before.

There are 2 reasons this doesn't fit, that he is young and not really a proven recruiter.

Do I actually know anything about this situation? Nope.
Who is the replacement GA? Is that Alexander's coach?

Our defense appeared to bet MUCH better as the season went on. IMO, Banker was not the problem last year. Our problems stemmed almost entirely from injuries and lack of depth at multiple positions coupled with a complete defensive scheme overhaul. The lack of depth lies squarely at our former coaching staff. If you didn't notice we scrambled to find linebackers Riley's first class and we hit defensive recruits very hard again. Starting over with a new coordinator and DB coach would be stupid. We'll either sink or swim with an adjustment or two along the way because IMO the only way Banker goes is if Riley goes. So in other words, get used to it.
Right here is the problem in a nutshell - History does not indicate Banker can coach up a championship defense in fact outside of a year or two his defense stink and last year was no exception. Now we are making excuses why to start the year he puts CB on an island that cant cover his man - what he could not see this before? It was stupid and cost us some games.

You are right Riley will go as Banker goes, I think Riley will do ok on offense but defense will be the issue

Right here is the problem in a nutshell - History does not indicate Banker can coach up a championship defense in fact outside of a year or two his defense stink and last year was no exception. Now we are making excuses why to start the year he puts CB on an island that cant cover his man - what he could not see this before? It was stupid and cost us some games.

You are right Riley will go as Banker goes, I think Riley will do ok on offense but defense will be the issue

Hahaha. The defense got stronger as the year went on and finished by slapping an undefeated Iowa team around. K bro. K.

Yes Banker didn't have a championship D at OSU. But guess what, Bo didn't win 9 games at Youngstown State. Meyer didn't win a championship at Utah. Saban didn't win one at MSU. Erickson didn't win one at Idaho, Oregon State, or Arizona State. Coker couldn't make UTSA a national power after winning a title with one of the greatest teams in history with 01 Miami.

You want to know why???? Not all programs are created equal. For the 20 some years before Riley got to OSU, they won like 20% of their games. But apparently you think anyone with a whistle could go to Corvallis and build a power?

Under your rationalle, in 1940 had the USA been in WW2, we could have put Eisenhower, Bradley, and Patton in charge of the Belgium defenses, and somehow they'd defeat the German Blitzkrieg, but in reality, they'd have been killed or captured. Had they escaped, someone like you would bitch that you couldn't let those idiots lead forces on the western front.

Is Banker perfect? No, but offensive turnovers and lack of production was a huge impact on some of those losses. But you are just so he'll bent on Banker bashing that facts don't matter.

Meyer didn't win a championship at Utah. Saban didn't win one at MSU.

I get your point, but those aren't great examples. Meyer won 2 conference championships in 2 years at Utah and had an undefeated season with a blowout win in a BCS bowl. He literally couldn't have had a better season. Saban took over a horrible MSU program that was under heavy NCAA sanctions, and turned them into a Top 10 team by the time he left. He then took over a 3-8 LSU team and won an SEC title 2 years later.

I get your point, but those aren't great examples. Meyer won 2 conference championships in 2 years at Utah and had an undefeated season with a blowout win in a BCS bowl. He literally couldn't have had a better season. Saban took over a horrible MSU program that was under heavy NCAA sanctions, and turned them into a Top 10 team by the time he left. He then took over a 3-8 LSU team and won an SEC title 2 years later.

So why did they leave???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT