ADVERTISEMENT

Hank Hughes out

Don't understand those who want T Thompson to coach defensive line. Guy only coached defensive line for one year at a lower level school and played offensive lineman at Oregon State. I believe NU needs to go after an experienced defensive line coach who has a history as a very good recruiter. A minority hire would be an added plus in recruiting, if the guy is a proven defensive line coach.

Don't understand those who want T Thompson to coach defensive line. Guy only coached defensive line for one year at a lower level school and played offensive lineman at Oregon State. I believe NU needs to go after an experienced defensive line coach who has a history as a very good recruiter. A minority hire would be an added plus in recruiting, if the guy is a proven defensive line coach.

Agreed. People are just saying it would be nice if we could find a way to hold on to him.

Hughes wasn't a Riley croney, they'd never worked together before. Which made the hire even more perplexing, considering Ed O. seemed interested in a job.
we'd be under sanctions at this point if Ed O coached here

So why did they leave???

I'm guessing money played a pig part. I know LSU made Saban the highest-paid college football coach ever at the time. Meyer probably wanted to go somewhere where he wouldn't be left out of the BCS Championship after an undefeated season.

When you look at guys like Saban and Meyer, they always left programs in much better shape then when they started. Riley had a few decent years by Oregon State standards, but ultimately left the Beavers in just as bad of shape as when he started there. Maybe worse. He knew he had a 2-10 level team coming back at Oregon State and may not have survived that.

I'm guessing money played a pig part. I know LSU made Saban the highest-paid college football coach ever at the time. Meyer probably wanted to go somewhere where he wouldn't be left out of the BCS Championship after an undefeated season.

When you look at guys like Saban and Meyer, they always left programs in much better shape then when they started. Riley had a few decent years by Oregon State standards, but ultimately left the Beavers in just as bad of shape as when he started there. Maybe worse. He knew he had a 2-10 level team coming back at Oregon State and may not have survived that.

Spot on.
Beavers A.D wanted Riley to make Coaching changes for the coming season and Eichorst made the decision easy for him.

And maybe it is because coaches know where a program's ceiling is? For all Meyer and Saban's accomplishments, they moved on. They knew they could accomplish more at another program.

History showed Oregon State has a certain level that you can expect to reach and it's hard to go higher. It was a .200 program and so many loved to point out Riley was a .500 coach (.541 I believe). So he had a winning record at a school with a low ceiling. I'd look at Riley a whole hell.of a lot differently had he been a .541 coach at USC vs OSU. But it's easier to ignore the ceiling when you have an agenda to criticize.

It amazes me that a supposed fan base as smart as ours doesn't get the concept of this, when we have one of the few P5 basketball programs with no NCAA basketball tournament wins. John Groce wouldn't even take our call. Why? Because he saw the ceiling, and he didn't think he would or could break through that ceiling.

So when people start talking about accomplishments at places where the ceiling level.is so glarring, like Oregon State football, ask yourself why doesn't Nebraska have a better basketball history?

Reactions: timnsun
It's just a fact of life that some kids are more comfortable around other kids of their same race. Get off your politically correct high horse and pay attention to the world around you. It's the way it is.
PC high horse? What does pc have to do with this? And what does having more "urban" chicks have to do with hiring an "urban" dl coach?

ADVERTISEMENT