ADVERTISEMENT

Glimpses

baseball31ne

Defensive Coordinator
Mar 8, 2002
You can see the potential for this team and the schemes to be successful. But the consistency isn’t there.

the defense can get some things done but then just misses too many tackles.

offense is great 20 to 20’s but the red zone and being consistently able to extend a drive, darn it. 3 and outs have to be 2 or less a game.

special teams giving up the momentum on the kick return. Missed field goal.

the off season needs a full review and each area is given a truthful evaluation. Frost got a two year extension so he isn’t leaving but those on staff have to get better with schemes and teaching them. The roster has to get fully aligned with the schemes as well.

Sucks to see these seasons.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Adding Betts and Manning at WR should fix our Redzone woes. The lack of size at WR kills us in the red zone.

Reactions: mrruffin10
There's a good chance neither Betts or Manning will be here next year. That's why we brought the JUCO receiver from Blinn today for a visit.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Man, I have to say that we played better, on offense, not having Wandale at tailback today. He needs to stay at the DuckR position...we could have used him on the Mazour stop at the goal line, though.

Defensively, it is hard to say if we would have been better with Darrion and Carlos in the game, though.

Man, I have to say that we played better, on offense, not having Wandale at tailback today. He needs to stay at the DuckR position...we could have used him on the Mazour stop at the goal line, though.
Correct on the first part. Wandale needs to stay away from the backfield. Mills and wandale at slot, wingback, what ever the heck you want to call it. But he needs to be in space, not between the tackles

I was happy today. I figured we lose. I know we suck. But yeah, glimpses were there. Mills looked like a All B1G performer today. Agree with many that AM should be a run first, and our offense should be based on more read/RPO, and be 60/40 run. The defense, I think if we want to get it turned around we get a stud and pay him. Defense is attitude, ours is pathetic

ETA: also Scott needs to adjust to this conference. He’s outclassed so far either by ignorance or stubbornness, maybe both. His play calling and personnel decisions are odd at times and even pathetic at others. I think he’s afraid to keep pounding what works because he feels he’s so creative? I don’t know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9and4 and SC_'sker
I was happy today. I figured we lose. I know we suck. But yeah, glimpses were there. Mills looked like a All B1G performer today. Agree with many that AM should be a run first, and our offense should be based on more read/RPO, and be 60/40 run. The defense, I think if we want to get it turned around we get a stud and pay him. Defense is attitude, ours is pathetic
Agreed...there isn't any badass attitude on the defense. Not sure changing defensive coaching after this season, yet again, is a good answer, though.

Reactions: cmblizz96
Agreed...there isn't any badass attitude on the defense. Not sure changing defensive coaching after this season, yet again, is a good answer, though.

It works if you get the right guy. I’m having trouble believing our staff is the right staff. I just don’t see it but I’m certainly just an arm chair idiot. I’m referring to the defensive staff FYI.

Last edited:
In four years Chin has not shown the ability to field a good defense. Not sure how much time is needed but so far it is not trending toward the positive!

In four years Chin has not shown the ability to field a good defense. Not sure how much time is needed but so far it is not trending toward the positive!
What have his defenses ranked? 4 strikes and you are out or does he get 5...or more?

There’s no hope for Chin. I think that’s a given

Adding Betts and Manning at WR should fix our Redzone woes. The lack of size at WR kills us in the red zone.
We definitely need some difference makers at WR. The itty bitty WR crew doesn't cut it at times. It would be NICE to add a BIG FAST RB too. Think of what a guy like Taylor could do for us.

His defense carried UCF that first season while Frost was trying to install the offense. Forced 32 TOs in Y2 which was #2 in the country.

Reactions: dinglefritz
There’s no hope for Chin. I think that’s a given
Interestingly OU has had the same kind of issues with their D running their fast paced explosive offense. Stoops and now Lincoln Riley have had how many years now to fix it.? OU has recruited a helluva lot better on D than we have for the past 4 years and they're struggling to stop people.

Reactions: Wyldcard
Interestingly OU has had the same kind of issues with their D running their fast paced explosive offense. Stoops and now Lincoln Riley have had how many years now to fix it.? OU has recruited a helluva lot better on D than we have for the past 4 years and they're struggling to stop people.

I’m not sure what they will be after this game....but OU was a top 50 scoring defense coming in to today. Last year they finished 101. I think that type of improvement was what Nebraska fans were hoping for this year.

Granted, OU has far more talent. But, I’d argue Big 12 has more prolific offenses compared to our schedule.

I’m not sure what they will be after this game....but OU was a top 50 scoring defense coming in to today. Last year they finished 101. I think that type of improvement was what Nebraska fans were hoping for this year.

Granted, OU has far more talent. But, I’d argue Big 12 has more prolific offenses compared to our schedule.
We're screwed right now with our safety injuries and the lack of good enough upperclassman linebackers IMO. I think it will eventually get better. We had stretches of some farily good defensive play today but man Taylor is a tremendous back and it opens up their whole offense.

And so do the Chiefs. I get it. Offense is about rhythm and if your scoring quickly you give the other offense the ball back quickly.

And so do the Chiefs. I get it. Offense is about rhythm and if your scoring quickly you give the other offense the ball back quickly.
In our case right now a big part of the problem for us is the loss of Williams at the start of the year and the recurring injury of Cam Taylor. Your safeties are a BIG deal in both the run and pass game and we're playing guys who should be riding pine. Good safety play can help cover for some marginal linebacker talent.

OU shuts out Baylor in the second half. The chances of Chinander ever shutting out a top 15 team in a half is slim to none. He is so bad that Frost was praying and wishing in his PC that his defense at some point can hold teams under 30 points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT