ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia

Gebbia seems to have that "it" factor, as was mentioned in this thread previously, that you just can't coach. He's quick, he throws really well, and he can make fast decisions, which are all things Frost's offense dictates that you have to do. I think right now its his job to lose, and Martinez is probably going to be his back up if not just redshirt.

Downside: Gebbia seemed a little scrawny last year. However, a year in the program lifting, eating, and being around a bunch of other athletes, plus turning 19, will no doubt have helped him grow a bit. On top of that, I wouldn't say that Mackenzie Milton was a Greek statue of an athlete; he was kind of skinny-looking and quick, much like Gebbia. Here's hoping the best for the team, as skill positions like QB, WR, and RB are now VERY loaded and ready for some serious competition!
Frost didn't bring Martinez in to red shirt

Reactions: davecisar
I think he will be our starting QB for about 4 to 5 games. Everyone is getting excited because he showed a little bit of mobility in the spring game. I get it. Martinez will come in and start 4 or 5 games in.

Not really. The defense gave up 500 yards, 36 points and came within a whisker of costing us the opening game against tomato can Arkansas State.

Turned around the next week and gave up 6 touchdowns in the first half against Oregon.

The defense was not good early. Or late. Or in between.

At any rate, I'm excited to see which QB is going to come out of this on top. Great to see we have TALENTED guys competing to earn the job.
Have to disagree, FWIW. NU shut out Oregon in the second half, and it's not as if Oregon got comfortable because NU scored easily on their first two possessions of the second half to cut the lead to 42-28. The D looked decent vs NIU, Rutgers, and Illinois (yardage totals of 213, 194, and 199 respectively). None had great offenses, but then again, neither did Minnesota (514 total yards).

If POB wants a shot to play in Frost's system, he had better get in shape. Last year, he appeared to be 20 pounds overweight. It's not just the OL that could stand to lose a few pounds. If he does this, he will have a chance to start. I can't put Gebbia there just yet because I haven't seen much of him. He had a couple of nice plays in the spring game. Real game time experience is invaluable. I think it gives POB a slight leg up going into the spring. He just needs to get in shape and lose a few pounds. Like the rest of the team.

yes he did.
most head coaches bring in almost every freshman qB to redshirt.
thats what will happen.

I can't say I agree with his claim but I wouldn't rule it out. There is nothing locking one QB in more than the others at this point.

yes he did.
most head coaches bring in almost every freshman qB to redshirt.
thats what will happen.
He didn't redshirt Milton at UCF and played him as a true freshman. If Gebbia or POB are clearly the answer, I think he'd try to red shirt Martinez, but if there's one thing Frost has shown, it's that he's not afraid to play freshman.

He didn't redshirt Milton at UCF and played him as a true freshman. If Gebbia or POB are clearly the answer, I think he'd try to red shirt Martinez, but if there's one thing Frost has shown, it's that he's not afraid to play freshman.

I think if we had a QB on the roster who had enough game experience to matter then we could say that Martinez would redshirt but we don't so it kind of keeps the position open to all IMO. There is nothing that separates our QB's enough to say one or the other will start. Martinez is the more optimal choice though.

Also Vedral didn't redshirt

I think it'll be Gebbia vs Martinez for starter. I'm kinda with Chuck003 in that Gebbia starts early and Martinez wins it mid season. Maybe POB and Gebbia transfer out next year leaving 3 quality guys that really fit Frost's offense.......Martinez, Vedral and yes Duggan. Gonna be interesting!

So a redshirt soph, a true soph and a true freshman will all stick around in 2019 but either a RS soph or RS junior will leave?
Just don't see POB being the guy under Frost. Gebbia, maybe? If he gets beat out by a true freshman I could see him leaving.

Vedral is a really nice insurance policy for Frost next year. Three 4* guys will battle it out, the odds say one should be able to do a quality job.

Vedral is a really nice insurance policy for Frost next year. Three 4* guys will battle it out, the odds say one should be able to do a quality job.
Vedral appears to be a great athlete. If he doesn’t eventually win the starting quarterback job, don’t count him out playing in the defensive backfield!

So a redshirt soph, a true soph and a true freshman will all stick around in 2019 but either a RS soph or RS junior will leave?
One thing that redshirting those QBs did was make it alot less attractive for them to transfer. Not many guys want to sit another year in order to play. I'll be surprised if Gebbia doesn't win the job, but I won't count any of them out.

One thing that redshirting those QBs did was make it alot less attractive for them to transfer. Not many guys want to sit another year in order to play. I'll be surprised if Gebbia doesn't win the job, but I won't count any of them out.

Why would you be surprised if he didn't win the starting role? We know little to nothing about his skillset in a spread option offense.

When I looked at Mackenzie Milton's stats this last year, he only ran the ball twice and threw it eight times per quarter on the average. Gebbia is a very good passer per his hudl clips. He just has to make the defenses honest with his feet. Milton only averaged 8 yards per carry too. I think we have a good one in Gebbia. Can't wait to watch him in the Spring Game. PTL!

Reactions: OzzyLvr
When I looked at Mackenzie Milton's stats this last year, he only ran the ball twice and threw it eight times per quarter on the average. Gebbia is a very good passer per his hudl clips. He just has to make the defenses honest with his feet. Milton only averaged 8 yards per carry too. I think we have a good one in Gebbia. Can't wait to watch him in the Spring Game. PTL!
Only 8 yds? That's close to a first down every time Milton ran.

Reactions: BigRedBeliever
...Riley's offense...

tenor.gif

Reactions: SOHusker11
Both POB and Gebbia ran a spread offense in high school with some of the same principles as to what Frost runs. They are more than capable of running this offense. Frosts offense requires a QB that is efficient in the passing game and that can make quick decisions. A passing QB that shows mobility is more of a requirement than anything. Last year UCF ran the ball 38 times per game and passed the ball 32 times per game. I feel that this offensive staff can adapt their offense to whatever their strengths are too.

Both POB and Gebbia ran a spread offense in high school with some of the same principles as to what Frost runs. They are more than capable of running this offense. Frosts offense requires a QB that is efficient in the passing game and that can make quick decisions. A passing QB that shows mobility is more of a requirement than anything. Last year UCF ran the ball 38 times per game and passed the ball 32 times per game. I feel that this offensive staff can adapt their offense to whatever their strengths are too.

I see Gebbia thriving in the coming year.

Congratulations kaz36. Hit over 24,000 messages. Plus you bring alot to the table. Keep it going.

I think he will be our starting QB for about 4 to 5 games. Everyone is getting excited because he showed a little bit of mobility in the spring game. I get it. Martinez will come in and start 4 or 5 games in.

Same Martinez who didn't play his senior year?

Gebbia running 8 times per game in the BIG will cause some breath holding. POB, not so much. However, whoever has the best quick decision making and instincts will start.

Not true, Martinez will have every opportunity to win the starting job just like Gebbia and POB.
Exactly, he was brought in to compete. They don't bring in guys to start or to redshirt, give them all a chance to compete and let the chips fall where they may.

Martinez might RS if he is #3 on the depth chart behind Gebbia/POB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT