ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia

How old are you again? Holieway was not a giant QB, and that sob burned us more times than not. He started every game his freshman year including the the national championship game they won in 85.

He was being sarcastic. Either way Hollieway was like 3 inches shorter and the same weight, his frame was more developed and his legs were superior.

Reactions: Lee P
I'm still a bit skeptical he has the May the best man win the job whoever that is. But I agree that people should not count out POB yet. Look at his highlight film. He ran a lot more in high school than people realize.

I think the QB people want to look to that Gebbia could hopefully be like that was "scrawny" but damn good would be Todd Reesing. He plays like that guy and Im good.

Reactions: kakdawg
I think the QB people want to look to that Gebbia could hopefully be like that was "scrawny" but damn good would be Todd Reesing. He plays like that guy and Im good.

Agree, but then again I don’t remember KU running a lot of zone reads when they won the Orange Bowl.

Agree, but then again I don’t remember KU running a lot of zone reads when they won the Orange Bowl.

Yeah I think they were running what they call a pro style spread which isn't the same as running a spread option or a power spread..

You guys forget he was playing against our #1 defense in the spring game. Our defense ranked somewhere around 394th in total defense and scoring defense...so it is completely plausible that he is actually pretty garbage...I would temper expectations until he plays a competent defense.

The part your forgetting is our defense gave up on Diaco and stopped playing for him about half way threw the season. In the beginning we were not to bad. We were starting to see some progress and then the wheels came off and all hell broke lose. No one is crowning Gebbia the next 1st team all American, we are just picking him to win the QB job next season. I’m taking Gebbia as well. There is a reason all/most of the D1 coaches wanted Gebbia. They/we all can see the talent he’s got, the decision making and arm he has. The kid has the that “it” to him. He isn’t 200-220 pounds but he’s got all the talent in the world that a QB can ask for. Frost will know what to do and how to use him. I trust Frost here.

The part your forgetting is our defense gave up on Diaco and stopped playing for him about half way threw the season. In the beginning we were not to bad. We were starting to see some progress and then the wheels came off and all hell broke lose. No one is crowning Gebbia the next 1st team all American, we are just picking him to win the QB job next season. I’m taking Gebbia as well. There is a reason all/most of the D1 coaches wanted Gebbia. They/we all can see the talent he’s got, the decision making and arm he has. The kid has the that “it” to him. He isn’t 200-220 pounds but he’s got all the talent in the world that a QB can ask for. Frost will know what to do and how to use him. I trust Frost here.

The size issue is a moot point. Look at Mackenzie Milton. What 5'9 and 170 pounds? He was certainly durable. Our QB's will slide, there's no reason to risk injury.

The part your forgetting is our defense gave up on Diaco and stopped playing for him about half way threw the season. In the beginning we were not to bad.

Not really. The defense gave up 500 yards, 36 points and came within a whisker of costing us the opening game against tomato can Arkansas State.

Turned around the next week and gave up 6 touchdowns in the first half against Oregon.

The defense was not good early. Or late. Or in between.

At any rate, I'm excited to see which QB is going to come out of this on top. Great to see we have TALENTED guys competing to earn the job.

Last edited:
The size issue is a moot point. Look at Mackenzie Milton. What 5'9 and 170 pounds? He was certainly durable. Our QB's will slide, there's no reason to risk injury.

That is very true. Mobile quarterbacks don't have to be built like tanks, they can slide or run out of bounds or take a shot every now and then. The point is simply to keep defenses scared of a QB ripping off a 10 yard run if he gets the chance to, regularly.

That is very true. Mobile quarterbacks don't have to be built like tanks, they can slide or run out of bounds or take a shot every now and then. The point is simply to keep defenses scared of a QB ripping off a 10 yard run if he gets the chance to, regularly.

Yeah but a 5’9” frame compared to a 6’3’ frame at similar weight, yeah theres a difference. One is tall and skinny, the other looks more developed.

Reactions: davecisar
I'm not saying he can't be great because of his size. It is a disadvantage that he wpuld have to compensate with some skills.

You should ask our defense about his skills when he stepped in as the scout team qb. ;)

And yes, our defense was not good...but they could see the difference in his skill level. I will just say this, if one of these other qb's beat out Gebbia, then that kid might be our next Tommie Frazier in terms of ability and leadership.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
It's true that our #1 D was crap last year, but the fact that he looked better than our #1 & #2 QBs in the Spring game when they were working with our top receivers and against our lower string defenses says something.

Yes, I think it will be a 2 horse race between him and Martinez. Giving the edge to Gebbia. Great to know we have 2 qbs that are fully capable of starting at any given time. Guessing POB will either switch to a different position or transfer come fall time.
In the event that POB & Gebbia look good it might not be a horrible idea to red shirt Martinez. Get a little better spacing between the QB's. Also don't sleep on Vedral, once eligible. All of this happens we will for sure need only one QB for 2019.

In the event that POB & Gebbia look good it might not be a horrible idea to red shirt Martinez. Get a little better spacing between the QB's. Also don't sleep on Vedral, once eligible. All of this happens we will for sure need only one QB for 2019.

Right now Vedral is just an after thought till he is eligible in 2019.. He could be the straw that stirs the drink.

For now It will be very interesting seeing POB,Gebbia and AM fighting for the job. For the first time since 1998 we will actually have a QB battle.

Reactions: Nebyank
I'm not saying he can't be great because of his size. It is a disadvantage that he wpuld have to compensate with some skills.
He is not going to be this small little freshman come fall. I thought I read where he had already gained 15 good lbs. The same guy who is known for attention to detail is not going to forget to take care of his body. And neither will Duvall.

Reactions: kakdawg
I remember a QB named Jamelle Holliway from OU. Huge huge kid. Big Ben sized. Never did much for the Sooners.
You got the wrong guy dude ! Janelle was a small to average sized guy, and killed us with his quickness and athleticism !

Guys; you're not considering injuries. Remember Taylor Martinez? We were scoring lots of points until he hurt his leg. That is why we need 3 top QB's who can operate effectively without any decrease in efficiency.

That and the other teams figured him out. One trick pony.

Our defense was terrible to start the year. It was more than just his players gave up on him, but you're right that was a big problem as well.

I know everybody always likes the shiny new toys, but I think the starting QB job is going to go to either POB or Gebbia. POB already has shown the physical toughness that Frost likes and that little bit of video of D-1 game footage was very valuable to his cause. I loved what Gebbia did in the Red-White scrimmage, but as others have noted, that was practice against a crappy defensive scheme. This one is wide open and going to be fun to watch this spring. We've got FOUR QBs who could potentially end up on top of the depth chart after spring football. Not going to count Bunch out.
nice to have these riches.

Anyone else here think Gebbia is going to really emerge as the QB this year? Just a gut feeling, but I think he is the real deal and is going to surprise a lot of folks with how well he runs Frost's offense.

What sticks in my mind is the ability of Milton to make a relatively long pitch and pitch in traffic.

Whoever masters that aspect is likely the starter.

These guys all have relatively good passing abilities and they can all lower a shoulder or slide on an option for the 5~10 yard plays.

Anyone else here think Gebbia is going to really emerge as the QB this year? Just a gut feeling, but I think he is the real deal and is going to surprise a lot of folks with how well he runs Frost's offense.
I certainly hope he is good enough to be in the running, but if all things being equal since we are in rebuilding mold I
would think Martinez will be given first priority. If Martinez's upside is great that is the one to go with.

Gebbia showed alot of moxie in the Spring Game - I felt like he CLEARLY had the most up side of the QBs that played. He'll get a chance to take the wheel as #1 QB.
Gebbia got more opportunities than others playing for both the red and white teams. Everybody loved Darlington after his spring performance also. Do t count out Martinez being the starter by second BIG game and controlling it till he leaves

Gebbia got more opportunities than others playing for both the red and white teams. Everybody loved Darlington after his spring performance also. Do t count out Martinez being the starter by second BIG game and controlling it till he leaves
It's a stretch for anyone to guess on the QB situation without a spring session.

Relative to infinity and beyond Vedral will be in the mix and who knows for sure what talent Frost will bring in except they will be very good.

Of course it is a stretch for anyone to guess our starting QB when we don't have a returning starting QB.
I'm guessing it will be Gebbia.
I could be wrong.

Not really. The defense gave up 500 yards, 36 points and came within a whisker of costing us the opening game against tomato can Arkansas State.

Turned around the next week and gave up 6 touchdowns in the first half against Oregon.

The defense was not good early. Or late. Or in between.

At any rate, I'm excited to see which QB is going to come out of this on top. Great to see we have TALENTED guys competing to earn the job.

Absolutely.

Even worse, Oregon if inclined could have easily scored 80 to 100 points on us. Thank God they shut everything down at halftime and just took the win.

"The defense was good early".....lol!

Reactions: davecisar
ADVERTISEMENT