ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia

Anyone else here think Gebbia is going to really emerge as the QB this year? Just a gut feeling, but I think he is the real deal and is going to surprise a lot of folks with how well he runs Frost's offense.
Yes, people have been discussing this. Shaping up to be a yep, he's a dynamic player who "gets" the QB psn vs. nope, he's a beanpole and will get murdered against B1G Ds.

I'm still a bit skeptical he has the athleticism and durability to be the ideal QB for this offense. Don't count out O'Brien, who ran an offense more like this one in high school.
I agree with you about POB. There is a reason POB did not transfer. He thinks he has a shot at this too. So do I. We have some solid options at QB this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
I think that Gebbia will be the starter and that Martinez will also get some snaps. Not sure how POB's skill set will translate into this new offense. From what I've heard, Gebbia loves watching film and does appear to be good at making quick/efficient decisions.

Think it's going to be game 1:
Gebbia
Martinez/Bunch
Walk On

Patrick Obrien transfers
Martinez ends up getting some playing time and possibly takes the job later in the year

Vedral wants to be a coach. He is smart able game manager and legit athlete. Like having another coach on the field. VERY valuable asset, even more so when he can add depth and play.

Anyone else here think Gebbia is going to really emerge as the QB this year? Just a gut feeling, but I think he is the real deal and is going to surprise a lot of folks with how well he runs Frost's offense.
Yes, I think it will be a 2 horse race between him and Martinez. Giving the edge to Gebbia. Great to know we have 2 qbs that are fully capable of starting at any given time. Guessing POB will either switch to a different position or transfer come fall time.

Gebbia showed alot of moxie in the Spring Game - I felt like he CLEARLY had the most up side of the QBs that played. He'll get a chance to take the wheel as #1 QB.

You guys forget he was playing against our #1 defense in the spring game. Our defense ranked somewhere around 394th in total defense and scoring defense...so it is completely plausible that he is actually pretty garbage...I would temper expectations until he plays a competent defense.

Reactions: prag_grenade
Gebbia seems to have that "it" factor, as was mentioned in this thread previously, that you just can't coach. He's quick, he throws really well, and he can make fast decisions, which are all things Frost's offense dictates that you have to do. I think right now its his job to lose, and Martinez is probably going to be his back up if not just redshirt.

Downside: Gebbia seemed a little scrawny last year. However, a year in the program lifting, eating, and being around a bunch of other athletes, plus turning 19, will no doubt have helped him grow a bit. On top of that, I wouldn't say that Mackenzie Milton was a Greek statue of an athlete; he was kind of skinny-looking and quick, much like Gebbia. Here's hoping the best for the team, as skill positions like QB, WR, and RB are now VERY loaded and ready for some serious competition!

Agree with the takes here, but maybe I misinterpreted Frost's quote from yesterday. Didn't he make a remark to the effect of "the cupboard is basically bare" at QB?

Agree with the takes here, but maybe I misinterpreted Frost's quote from yesterday. Didn't he make a remark to the effect of "the cupboard is basically bare" at QB?

I think it was meant to mean that the competition is wide open. He knows even Bunch and O'Brien have upsides and are talented players, it's just about finding who works out best.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
In my way of thinking Gebbia was the best QB on the field last Spring Game (by far) followed by Bunch, Lee, and O’Brien in that order. Lee had a long TD by throwing a BTN-highlight 50-yard prayer that Spielman made a circus catch on and was then anointed as the guy. Keep in mind, Gebbia had nothing to lose, he knew he was redshirting. POB played very tentatively like he didn’t want to make a mistake. His head was probably back at the year before when he threw the pick in the Spring Game to end the game. If POB can “just play” like he did at Rancho Margarita and not worry about failure or letting nerves get him, I think the competition with Gebbia could be very interesting. Keep in mind both Gebbia and POB had virtually the same rating out of HS (3.75 composite I think). I’m not saying POB will be the guy, but writing him off to transfer at this point is premature IMHO.

Don't know who will be game 1 starter yet but (outside of Vedral) Im guessing Gebbia goes into and through Spring knowing the playbook better than the other QBs

Considering how bad our defense was last year, it's hard to put much stock into spring game performance.

Gebbia might be great, but he has yet to take a snap in a real college game yet. He hasn't shown he can run the read option yet. In high school he had 6 stud D-I recruits to throw to that were often wide open. He didn't have to take many hits or make many plays with his feet.

Last edited:

Didn’t hear him say that, heard him say every position is open and may the best man win in some many words.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
I know everybody always likes the shiny new toys, but I think the starting QB job is going to go to either POB or Gebbia. POB already has shown the physical toughness that Frost likes and that little bit of video of D-1 game footage was very valuable to his cause. I loved what Gebbia did in the Red-White scrimmage, but as others have noted, that was practice against a crappy defensive scheme. This one is wide open and going to be fun to watch this spring. We've got FOUR QBs who could potentially end up on top of the depth chart after spring football. Not going to count Bunch out.

Reactions: spinner4
You guys forget he was playing against our #1 defense in the spring game. Our defense ranked somewhere around 394th in total defense and scoring defense...so it is completely plausible that he is actually pretty garbage...I would temper expectations until he plays a competent defense.

Ha! 394th Defense ..can't imagine the early days with Diaco. Solona as Solana Beach ? I'm a Oceanside Husker.

I think it's going to be fascinating to see if the fanbase can handle a wide open and honest QB competition.

I am hopeful that we don't see a Crouch / Newcombe repeat.

I have my doubts, mostly due to running zone read and option plays. POB is my choice for all around qb play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT