ADVERTISEMENT

Frost Presser

He was purposefully matter-of-fact. Not wide-eyed, with a snarky, What do YOU think?!, attitute like BP.

Reactions: timnsun
Pressure changes everything. Some people, you squeeze ‘em, they focus. Others fold. Can you summon your talent at will? Can you deliver on a deadline?

Coach Frost - take a big whiff!

Reactions: egaRdeR
They need to throw away whatever that was recorded on. Also what and who asked the question he was obviously pissed off about at about the 3 and a half minute mark?
I was kind of wondering the same thing. They really need to mic up the question.

What do you all take from this presser today? Frost is usually a little standoffish, but man he seems like he is being a complete arse today. It is really starting to feel like an "us against the world" mentality. Which I don't think is a sustainable mindset.

For some reason this PC makes me less comfortable with the game this weekend.

It's part of the less talk, more action mantra he's adopted for this season. We'll see how that action part comes out Saturday.

If Scott didn’t stand there, arms crossed at the press conference, looking like a petulant child who got caught, there wouldn’t have been a picture to take and post.

Feel free to discount what I am saying due to numbers of posts, but there are enough former players and people connected to the program all referencing the same off the field behaviors with Frost to think where there is smoke, there is fire.

Moos gave Frost the impression that he was untouchable and it appears that absolute power has corrupted him. But now Trev is there, it’s becoming obvious that Frost isn’t liking being held accountable to performance standards or departmental rules.

His comment about never making a call about the OU game was laughable. Of course he didn’t, instead he just told his recently fired best buddy to make the calls.

Hopefully Scott can win, take direction from Trev, humble himself, and get his off-the-field issues in order and still become the coach we all hoped he could be….but I don’t know if he has it in him. I hope he proves me wrong.
You are wrong. The few calls made were hopes of another home game for budget reasons and it was from the athletic dept staff for that reason.

The only thing that I can think of is this: The one noticeable weird moment of the press conference is when COVID comes up. I honestly do not think NU has a great Vaxx rate at the moment. You could hear it last week even with Trev Alberts and Frost talk about they were trying to get more Vaxxed. Coincidence that the BIG announced the Forfeit policy just hours before that (even though it was probably expected). I respect that he wanted someone else to tell the press the Vax % of the team but I feel like its bad enough that it may cause a stir in the media since it may not be that great

Reactions: TheBeav815
it-escalated-quickly-gif-1.gif

anchorman-legend-of-ron-burgundy.gif

Reactions: GBRforLife1
The press is poison to this team and I'm sick of it. All they want is doom and gloom. That's what sells.. You know what? How bout every time the head coach gets replaced, the press gets replaced too. So sick of their bs antics.
What do you expect them to report on? They have fed the repeated flowery/feel good stories and they amount to getting the rank and file excited only to be left down and never see the guy.

When the press don't get answers to question, of course they will keep asking in different ways.

Right now the program is doom and gloom so what do you expect them to report on? Maybe articles about our great recruiting class or clean record of running through program?

It's part of the less talk, more action mantra he's adopted for this season. We'll see how that action part comes out Saturday.
I hope that's it! I think if he does both of those things we will all be happy.

If you have watched one of his prior press conferences then watched this one you can see a stark contrast in demeanor, interaction and substance. I don't necessarily give of rat's fat ass about the press conference, but please don't insult people's intelligence by saying this is at all similar to what we have seen in a presser, even earlier in the fall.

If you have watched one of his prior press conferences then watched this one you can see a stark contrast in demeanor, interaction and substance. I don't necessarily give of rat's fat ass about the press conference, but please don't insult people's intelligence by saying this is at all similar to what we have seen in a presser, even earlier in the fall.
Who is saying this? There’s obviously a difference… does the difference mean we will suck? Does it mean we are going to be better? Who knows until the games are played.

But who is saying all his press conferences, this one included, are similar?

Reactions: headcard
Who is saying this? There’s obviously a difference… does the difference mean we will suck? Does it mean we are going to be better? Who knows until the games are played.

But who is saying all his press conferences, this one included, are similar?
I guess I should have wrote that there is a reason for the difference and people are pretending it's less than it probably is. I don't think it is because he is focused or anything like that. He is pissed at someone or something and decided the press conference was the best place to show this.

Point being, you don't just go from laughing with the press and joking with Sipple about stupid shit, to using the same canned answer for every question asked. I also didn't get the "if I wanted to tell you I would" thing. He was vague about someone telling them something in the future, so they pressed and he got pissed.

Again, I don't really care, but it is definitely more than just focused on the this week's game.

IMHO, he looked like he just got up from a nap and got out of the shower.

I guess I should have wrote that there is a reason for the difference and people are pretending it's less than it probably is. I don't think it is because he is focused or anything like that. He is pissed at someone or something and decided the press conference was the best place to show this.

Point being, you don't just go from laughing with the press and joking with Sipple about stupid shit, to using the same canned answer for every question asked. I also didn't get the "if I wanted to tell you I would" thing. He was vague about someone telling them something in the future, so they pressed and he got pissed.

Again, I don't really care, but it is definitely more than just focused on the this week's game.

Thanks for clarifying. He did look tired for this being the start of the season. If we start off losing, gonna be a long season. I hope we come out and light it up, for all of our sakes.

What do you all take from this presser today? Frost is usually a little standoffish, but man he seems like he is being a complete arse today. It is really starting to feel like an "us against the world" mentality. Which I don't think is a sustainable mindset.

For some reason this PC makes me less comfortable with the game this weekend.

Frost be like Afghanistan in Rambo III

He is coming off as a little Pelinish. If I remember that didn’t work out too well for Bo.
Not winning big games is what didn’t work out for Bo. He could’ve acted the way he did, won more games/big games and he would still be coaching here. If he had the attitude of smilin’ Mike, he would’ve still been fired for losing the games he lost.

Not winning big games is what didn’t work out for Bo. He could’ve acted the way he did, won more games/big games and he would still be coaching here. If he had the attitude of smilin’ Mike, he would’ve still been fired for losing the games he lost.
I'm not so sure on your last sentence. People were really getting tired of his antics (in-game tirades, attitude towards fans, media & his superiors, etc), but still struggled with him being fired even after all of that because he had never won less than 9 games / year.

So I think if Pelini had not been such an ass while winning the same number of games as he did, he'd still be coach at Nebraska.

I think it’s obvious, press have written many critical articles specifically on him, investigation, etc. I think also he sees the writing on the wall, he wanted 7 years to turn the ship around and with Bill he was going to get it. Recent developments etc I don’t think anyone believes he’s going to get 7 years unless he is substantially better than previously. I think he feels railroaded, but I also believe he wants badly to be here and also believes he ca. Get it done.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
Frost needs a speech writer, a body language advisor and a fashion consultant. Anything else?
I volunteer to take him down to the JCPenney and get him fixed up. Going to need the rest of you to chip in with the other things.

He looks like a guy who is lost and has no confidence in himself. He has no answers and has forgotten what made him successful at his stops at Oregon and UCF. He's a smart dude, but he's using that intelligence in all the wrong ways and doubling down on things that aren't working. Maybe Trevor Alberts can get to him, but I'm thinking it's already a lost cause.

He has clearly been under attack by the national and to some degree local media. He's had a leak somewhere among people he trusted about the off site meetings or "practices". He has clearly realized that people he thought were friends were not his friends. Been there. At this point I'm thinking he's not sure who he can trust.

Personally I kind of like him being a little surly leading up to a game. People forget how surly Tom got with local media when they reported things he didn't like. Just win. Nobody will care if he scowls at Sam and Sip if he wins. Frost isn't going to lose his mind like Bo regularly did and he doesn't need to play patty cake with a $12/hour reporter. Frost has to be exhausted from all of the rectal exams he's received over the past year.

He has clearly been under attack by the national and to some degree local media. He's had a leak somewhere among people he trusted about the off site meetings or "practices". He has clearly realized that people he thought were friends were not his friends. Been there. At this point I'm thinking he's not sure who he can trust.

Personally I kind of like him being a little surly leading up to a game. People forget how surly Tom got with local media when they reported things he didn't like. Just win. Nobody will care if he scowls at Sam and Sip if he wins. Frost isn't going to lose his mind like Bo regularly did and he doesn't need to play patty cake with a $12/hour reporter. Frost has to be exhausted from all of the rectal exams he's received over the past year.

Dude is getting paid a shit ton of money. Dealing with the local and national media is part of the of job description at a place like Nebraska. Act like a god damn professional for 10-15 minutes during a game week presser. And I would hardly say the Frost has been roasted by any of the local media.

I think it’s obvious, press have written many critical articles specifically on him, investigation, etc. I think also he sees the writing on the wall, he wanted 7 years to turn the ship around and with Bill he was going to get it. Recent developments etc I don’t think anyone believes he’s going to get 7 years unless he is substantially better than previously. I think he feels railroaded, but I also believe he wants badly to be here and also believes he ca. Get it done.
At this point, he's fully responsible for anything negative coming his way. He has run his mouth so much and used about every excuse in the book. I liked the bravado when he got here, but when you talk that way, you best be able to back it up. He's the last thing from a victim, but I definitely get the "poor me" vibe from the guy, which is hard to watch and listen to. What does "turn the ship around" mean? Did he think he could stink it up for 4 plus years and think that there wouldn't be anything to worry about, even if Moos was here? He's still here when lots of other guys would already be out on their ass. If anything he's getting more of leash. On what planet is he getting railroaded? And if he really thinks that, it just provides more proof of a soft, woe-is-me candy-ass attitude. I don't mind if he's short and to the point with the media - the less he talks, probably the better - but if he's pissed because people are pissed, then take a look in the mirror.

Dude is getting paid a shit ton of money. Dealing with the local and national media is part of the of job description at a place like Nebraska. Act like a god damn professional for 10-15 minutes during a game week presser. And I would hardly say the Frost has been roasted by any of the local media.
Man I don't know what you've listened to but a former Husker destroyed him on the radio a couple of weeks ago. I guess I didn't think he behaved badly in that presser. He's under tremendous pressure and being criticized from all angles. IMO, he took almost the same demeanor that Tom did when he was under pressure when he couldn't beat OU. Tom maybe was a little better at offering the occasional smirk to make people think he was being friendly. I don't know how old you are, but Tom was extremely evasive and kept the media at arm's length. That changed some after he retired but there was no doubt that Tom had distain for the media.

Reactions: scarletred
Man I don't know what you've listened to but a former Husker destroyed him on the radio a couple of weeks ago. I guess I didn't think he behaved badly in that presser. He's under tremendous pressure and being criticized from all angles. IMO, he took almost the same demeanor that Tom did when he was under pressure when he couldn't beat OU. Tom maybe was a little better at offering the occasional smirk to make people think he was being friendly. I don't know how old you are, but Tom was extremely evasive and kept the media at arm's length. That changed some after he retired but there was no doubt that Tom had distain for the media.
Is this former husker in the media, or was he or she just on the radio as a guest? Quite honestly if someone wanted to go after Frost in the media or on the radio he has given them plenty of ammo.

Again, being criticized is part of the job description, he of all people knew what he was stepping in to in taking this job.

I am 50, and know all about TO's so called issues with the media. I get it, he was coming after Devaney, and it is a tough act to follow. He could have left, he didn't. TO was a pretty boring guy and didn't have a big personality so I think that is where a lot of his put-offishness (if that is even a word) with the media came from. You also have to remember that Nebraska was a much higher profile program then, with much higher profile players and much higher profile scandals/issues. In the early 90's there was a lot of nasty shit going on that swirled around the program, that quite honestly TO had to deal with on a national level, not just from reporters from the Ural Star and the Weird Hearld.

Let's also put in to context that this is the first game of the season. Not after a big loss, not the back end of two away games, GAME ONE. I am a little of the same way, I don't mind the fact he is a little surly, but it is out of character for him and if he is on tilt already, I worry and pray for his mental health. Wins cure a lot of ills, focus on what you can control.

Reactions: TheBeav815
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT