ADVERTISEMENT

Frost Interview Notes

The 2 deep are going to include a bunch of NEW players SF and Co brought to the table themselves and then a bunch of backups that got little coaching

Our Oline and Dline combined quality is probably the worst production wise Ive seen in the last 50 Years
Those shelves arent stocked deep by any stretch

Riley left NU a dumpster fire- an Oregon State team

Last edited:
Agree, but it's smart to try and control the message by saying the schedule is super tough compared to previous year.

Because if Frost isn't doing well then the "brutal" schedule can be used as an excuse. If Frost does really well (win 10+ games) we'll hear what an amazing job Frost did again a "brutal" schedule. You can't lose if you claim that our schedule is so much tougher than previous years, when really it isn't that much tougher than the previous year.

It'll be a major disappointment if Frost doesn't win 8 games this season. Just like it was a major disappointment when Riley didn't win 8 games his first and third years. I'm not going to call for Frost to be fired if he fails to win 8 games in either one of his first 4 years.
I don’t believe Frost is the type that makes excuses. He’s been nothing but upbeat and positive. And I love his last quote above: that he intends to combine the brawn Nebraska was known for, with the speed his offenses apply. He’ll have these guys ready to play.

Reactions: HuskerO and timnsun
Finally you admit Riley had to deal with a toxic culture when he first got here.
Not at all in any way shape or form

YOU made the excuse- I didnt agree with it at all

What is your excuse for the year 3 Riley season?
Whose fault was that?

So he sucked in year 3 because he is a terrible coach- but he didnt suck in year 1 because he was a terrible coach - OR did he just become terrible between years 1 and 3??

And WHAT in the WORLD did you see in that 3rd year that made you say HIMM- yeah I like what Im seeing here- smilin mike a 4 and 5 win coach at NU deserves another 2 years to more completely destroy our beloved program?

Youve said a number of times- you wanted Riley to get 2 more years at the end of the 2017 season- what did you see in Riley that made you think things were heading in the right direction?

Last edited:
Ding ding ding
Youve finally got a winner on why the man you love and defend so much failed here and is a career .500 coach- and it has little to do with the possibility Riley was such a weak coach with such a weak resume that one or 2 20 year old players didnt respect him

Riley is responsible for the disaster he created
Due to:
Weakness
Horrificly bad management skills
Incompetence
Laziness
Lack of commitment
Poor previous track record
After he left I basically stopped paying any attention to him. Did he have any interest from other schools. I know the Oregon thing he basically went to them and begged for any job they would give him.

Probable losses to:
OSU
WI
and either MI or MSU
Win the Bowl Game
10-3 would be great if NU makes progress in other areas
Wins over IA, NW and either MI or MSU would be DEFINITE and SIGNIFICANT/AGGRESSIVE progress

Personally seeing improvements in other metrics- 9 Wins would most likely mark very good progress- as long as we are continuing to create space between us and the bottom and middle. Like I mentioned- no more 1 point wins over Purdue or sweating it out into the 4th quarter over Rutgers, Illinois and the likes of Northwestern Arkansas Womens Teachers College or whoever they were.
Now for the wrench in the works, in a good way... in 2019 we only play OSU from the east... no Michigan, Michigan State or Penn State... forgot that the schedule is much easier in 2019.

In my opinion, if we take care of business at home with Wisconsin, we have a great shot to win the west.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerO
Youre claiming Riley got sandbagged by Bo and a toxic lockerroom

How was the lockerroom toxic in the year 3 of the glorious reign of the man you love- Mike Riley?

So what is your excuse- 3 years in???
ALL but a handful of the Pelini kids are gone

Riley is who he is
We got his historic results and like many experts saw- A PAC 10 Team
We became Oregon State
Why would ANYONE be surprised- in ANY way

And why in the world would you give that man 2 more years- someone who had slit the programs throat and was quickly bleeding to death and you want to give that guy a gun? Allowing for a fatal death blow- WOW
I'm clamoring that Frost will have it easier than Riley had it.

Partly because Riley is leaving Frost with more talent/depth than what Pelini left for Riley. Partly because Frost isn't going to have to deal with the toxicity that Riley had to deal with.

This doesn't make Riley a better coach than Frost or Frost not as good or a coach. But it's a simple fact that Frost will have it easier than Riley for the reasons I mentioned above.

Potential doesn't go very far on the field, and it seems that's what your argument is based upon. Please clarify.
Fine, let's revisit this this thread a year from now. We'll be able to compare the 2-deeps better then.

I don’t believe Frost is the type that makes excuses. He’s been nothing but upbeat and positive. And I love his last quote above: that he intends to combine the brawn Nebraska was known for, with the speed his offenses apply. He’ll have these guys ready to play.
Agree. I don't believe this is Frost trying to control the message. Just a handful on this board who will give Frost all the excuses they didn't allow for Riley and then some.

Which is fine. But it'd be nice if they would just admit it.

Last edited:
Youve said a number of times- you wanted Riley to get 2 more years at the end of the 2017 season- what did you see in Riley that made you think things were heading in the right direction?
It's not about Riley you dope. I feel this way about any coach.

I literally said that if Frost ends up having the exact same results his first 3 years as Riley, I would want Frost to have another year or two.

I'm consistent and I have a good feeling that if Frost ends up with the exact same results as Riley you'd be clamoring for another year or two which makes your stances inconsistent and you benefit by moving the goal post...

Partly because Riley is leaving Frost with more talent/depth than what Pelini left for Riley. Partly because Frost isn't going to have to deal with the toxicity that Riley had to deal with.

This doesn't make Riley a better coach than Frost or Frost not as good or a coach. But it's a simple fact that Frost will have it easier than Riley for the reasons I mentioned above.

Again- IF Riley got sandbagged so bad by a WINNING but "toxic" lockerroom- how is it after almost ALL the Pelini kids were gone that Riley had even a MUCH worse season in year 3 than year one? barely winning 4 games- could have been 2 wins- more blowout losses and few if any near wins?

Was Riley all of a sudden a bad coach in year 3- and he wasnt a bad coach in year 1- with a much worse lockerroom situation and supposedly bare cupboards?

Wouldnt year 3 under Riley be much better than year 1- if the lockerroom and talent issues were major as you suggest?

Just my opinion but I really don't consider Wisconsin in the same level as OSU or Mich. They have dominated the West because it has been easy to take. I would lump them in with Mich St ,NW and Iowa type teams. Once we get rolling full steam. I see Wisc being the only team to even come close to competing with us in the West. Even then I don't see they putting up a good enough team to compete with us year in and year out. The Conference may have to realign again to make things more "fair" since we will be winning the West every year :)

This is one worth saving.

Agree. I don't believe this is Frost trying to control the message. Just a handful on this board who will give Frost all the excuses they didn't allow for Riley and then some.

Which is fine. But it'd be nice if they would just admit it.
Here I don’t agree. Riley was a terrible coach, and proved it quickly. Frost will achieve early success, if only by toughening up a team that became soft and restoring tradition. I’d be shocked if this doesn’t happen quickly.

Here I don’t agree. Riley was a terrible coach, and proved it quickly. Frost will achieve early success, if only by toughening up a team that became soft and restoring tradition. I’d be shocked if this doesn’t happen quickly.
Which part don't you agree on?

After he left I basically stopped paying any attention to him. Did he have any interest from other schools. I know the Oregon thing he basically went to them and begged for any job they would give him.
He was interviewed for the same position by a couple of other teams.

It's not about Riley you dope. I feel this way about any coach.

I literally said that if Frost ends up having the exact same results his first 3 years as Riley, I would want Frost to have another year or two.

I'm consistent and I have a good feeling that if Frost ends up with the exact same results as Riley you'd be clamoring for another year or two which makes your stances inconsistent and you benefit by moving the goal post...
Lose the language of calling people “dopes” online. Just make your opinion respectfully. Riley is a nice man, but was not the right coach for our situation. Frost is restoring our identity and the toughness our program was known for, Riley did the opposite. I’m very optimistic about where he’s taking us.

Some are arguing Riley, actually, made it easy for himself.

Lose the language of calling people “dopes” online. Just make your opinion respectfully. Riley is a nice man, but was not the right coach for our situation. Frost is restoring our identity and the toughness our program was known for, Riley did the opposite. I’m very optimistic about where he’s taking us.
I have, but if dopey is going to continue being obtuse and not read what I'm saying then I'm going to get annoyed.

With that being said you're right. No matter how obtuse someone is being I'll keep the name calling out.

Reactions: TribecaHusker
Which part don't you agree on?
Frost won’t require or make any excuses. We’re entering a different era, one many are not used to. Callahan and Pelini basically disdained Husker fans, though a few made excuses for them. Riley’s niceness won some support. I don’t think Frost will ever seek forbearance, he’ll just push for performance and results.

Reactions: timnsun
Frost won’t require or make any excuses. We’re entering a different era, one many are not used to. Callahan and Pelini basically disdained Husker fans, though a few made excuses for them. Riley’s niceness won some support. I don’t think Frost will ever seek forbearance, he’ll just push for performance and results.
Didnt I say in the post you disagreed with me on that Frost won't be making any excuses?

Cripes for arguments sake in this thread. Unless you want to come back to this in Aug/Sept??

I am sure you are a nice guy. Please don't take this personally.

But you have been making statements about rosters as if they are facts about worse talent from 3 years ago on a roster WITH a winning record of what--9-4, and comparing it to the most recent game roster WITHOUT a winning record of the almost reverse record of 4-8 and saying the latter is better.

I, truthfully don't understand how you, actually, think there is any factual basis for an argument because all these attempts to judge the quality of a roster are extremely subjective (except the win loss record) The exception to this was what davecisar pointed out about relatively equal ratings by the recruiting services for the respective years.

Nevertheless, one of the few (and maybe only) real and most empirical ways to measure that are the respective win-loss records. 2 deep rosters don't mean anything because riley didn't use 2 deeps in several positions, so can we really measure how good they were? They probably weren't that great, because they might have been playing, but we can't really tell, so How do you know they are better than those of 3 years ago?

As I think about it though, this discussion must be only for arguments' sake as you have said because there is no basis in fact as to which talent is greater. A 2 deep roster of a 9-4 team vs. that of a 4-8 team? Logic would say that of the better record would be better. That could only be for hypothetical arguments sake, I guess, because there can't be any factual basis on your side of backing up your claims. Again, these statements are totally subjective on your part in your perceived judgement as to better talent from 3 years ago. Someone else could just as easily say the opposite.

Again, the only measurable parameters that I can see to judge the talent to compare the 2 rosters are the respective records, and in that fact, there really isn't any valid argument here, as it is obvious that 9 and 4 is much greater than 4 and 8. So, what are you basing your statements on that can, actually, be measured?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Sorry you lost me. Riley make what easier for himself?

I mean that some are saying riley wasn't trying that hard and just collecting the paycheck. My dad used to say some people have a "never sweat" attitude. That's why, it seems, some refer to him as smilin' mike. He made life easier for himself in that respect by not seeming that involved.

Reactions: HuskerO
2 deep rosters don't mean anything because riley didn't use 2 deeps in several positions,
Then compare the positions that are the same. I'm sure there are more common positions being used than there are different.

A 2 deep roster of a 9-4 team vs. that of a 4-8 team? Logic would say that of the better record would be better.
Let me ask you this. Who inherited a better roster?
1) Pelini from Callahan or
2) Riley from Pelini

Not trying to be disrespectful but given your reasoning the answer would be Riley since he inherited a 9 win team while Pelini inherited a 5 win team. But we all know Pelini inherited a much better team from Callahan than Riley did from Pelini.

Now for the wrench in the works, in a good way... in 2019 we only play OSU from the east... no Michigan, Michigan State or Penn State... forgot that the schedule is much easier in 2019.

In my opinion, if we take care of business at home with Wisconsin, we have a great shot to win the west.
Bumping this for Dave, as I am genuinely curious... you’ve posted in this thread since I posted this... with no Michigan, Michigan state or Penn State on the schedule in 2019, and Wisconsin at home, what do you think our chances are in the west?

Then compare the positions that are the same. I'm sure there are more common positions being used than there are different.

2) Riley from Pelini

Not trying to be disrespectful but given your reasoning the answer would be Riley since he inherited a 9 win team while Pelini inherited a 5 win team. But we all know Pelini inherited a much better team from Callahan than Riley did from Pelini.

Based on what? Clownahan had two losing seasons in four years.....so to you that proves he had more talent than Bo's 9 or 10 win teams?? True-blue snowflake logic with the endless MR excuses.

They weren't toxic towards Pelini.

That's my point. There was little to no depth at key positions. We should've had many more Sr's start this past season but there weren't any.

There are many reasons that we didn't have a ton of Seniors starting this year and recruiting by Bo was not the only thing. We had a significant amount of transfers right after Bo left including after the spring game. Many recognized these coaches for what they were and simply moved on. Many choose to stick it out and regressed in their development. To say otherwise in regards to development would contradict all the comments made by ex players and present coaches and staff regarding the lack of development, work ethic and culture.

Scott Frost has stated this on many occasions. I think an interesting comparison will be 3 years from now and see how many Senior starters we have then compared to what MR had. I expect more attrition from the MR recruits over the next year or so too.

2) Riley from Pelini

But haven't you been talking all this time about the roster riley inherited vs the roster SF inherited? You haven't been talking about Callahan and pelini until this post. This is an entirely different time period and subject matter which you are bringing up, now.

And the question still remains about riley's vs SF's roster. How are you objectively measuring the two deep quality from one team to the next? You're asking people to believe something very difficult to objectively qualify with the only empirical measurement it seems being win/loss records from 3 years apart and not being close in favor of the roster that riley inherited using those win/loss records. riley inherited a 9-4 team, SF inherited a 4-8 team, but you are saying the roster is better and deeper on the latter team.

You make a statement about quality, but otherwise, what empirical data other than win/loss records can you suggest be used to measure that 2 deep quality?

Last edited:
But haven't you been talking all this time about the roster riley inherited vs the roster SF inherited? You haven't been talking about Callahan and pelini until this post. This is an entirely different time and subject which you are bringing up, now.
I'm using something that actually happened to show you why your logic is flawed.

Based on what? Clownahan had two losing seasons in four years.....so to you that proves he had more talent than Bo's 9 or 10 win teams?? True-blue snowflake logic with the endless MR excuses.
You're telling me that Riley inherited more talent from Pelini than what Pelini inherited from Callahan?

Side note - If you're going to use the term "snowflake" at least use it correctly.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Bumping this for Dave, as I am genuinely curious... you’ve posted in this thread since I posted this... with no Michigan, Michigan state or Penn State on the schedule in 2019, and Wisconsin at home, what do you think our chances are in the west?
Not good. He's said it'll take 3 years before Frost will actually be able to turn this program around.

I'm using something that actually happened to show you why your logic is flawed.

I understand you are thinking my logic is flawed, but you haven't explained how or why. Please clarify.
Again, what other objective, empirical evidence (leaving subjectivity out of the logic) do you have saying riley's first roster was not deeper and better than SF beginning roster? What is there other than win/loss records?

Riley started with a previous 9-4 team and SF starts with a previous 4-8 team. Where is your better logic now that you have pointed out mine is flawed? And this has nothing to do with the callahan to pelini 2007 time period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskercigar
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT