ADVERTISEMENT

Frost Interview Notes

Careful Cisar. Some of these "loud" posters have never tackled anyone in their life but on here they are the "world's best tacklers". The future looks very optimistic with ".500 Smiles" gone.

GBR

Reactions: davecisar
Im optimistic too
But Im a realist
However Im not "foam finger guy" who predicts an undefeated season every year.

Last year when all the Riley guys were predicting with the QB that Riley wanted and his system finally in place- that NU was going to win 11 games- I laughed.
I hoped- but I couldnt keep telling the lies to myself- that everyone so desperately wanted to believe- but were delusional and void of facts

I couldnt really see us getting past 6 wins- closer to 5.
Put my extra tickets to OSU and Iowa on stub hub very early
Not in my wildest dreams did I see 10 or 11 wins like a lot of the Riley or Foam Finger guys had us on
I expected either Purdue or Minny to get us- We almost got beat by both
Didnt see the N Illinois loss coming-

Better days are ahead
Always best to follow the worst speaker on the stage

This is a solid argument. Well said… My sense is that Frost will have this figured out sooner rather than later, maybe even as early as next year. I gotta believe that if there are players not buying in by 2019, those players will not be around.
Yep, that is one of the biggest differences I feel from Riley to Frost. Frost isn't going to put up with anything. Basically you do what we say or you get out. No matter if you were a starter or 4th on the depth chart.
So you are right it could be fixed very quickly. Getting kids back in shape shouldn't take more than 6-9 months either.

Reactions: timnsun
Setting our sights on and legitimately competing with the Wisconsin, MI, OSU and PSUs of the world as well as OU in OOC.
Just my opinion but I really don't consider Wisconsin in the same level as OSU or Mich. They have dominated the West because it has been easy to take. I would lump them in with Mich St ,NW and Iowa type teams. Once we get rolling full steam. I see Wisc being the only team to even come close to competing with us in the West. Even then I don't see they putting up a good enough team to compete with us year in and year out. The Conference may have to realign again to make things more "fair" since we will be winning the West every year :)

So is anyone going to explain how a cheapo who wont pay to read this article can do so?

If the news isnt delivered on my tv on my phone or for free it must not be that important.

About as silly as CBS charging 6 bucks a month with ads for their content when for 10 bucks you can get netflix or for 8 get hulu and way more content.

Reactions: husker2612
Loser mentality?
Riley inherited a team that was WINNING 9/10 games a year
I will say it again- they beat the bottom dwellers and middle of the road and some of the top 1/3 teams- they couldnt beat the best

The LOSER mentality we have now- is because a very lazy, weak, incompetent and soft coach- has lost to the bottom dwellars and middle teams- in fact gotten blown out by them. THAT is the loser mentality we have 3- years worth of it. Kids following the coaches lead- putting in the time with minimal effort to get the paycheck- the coaches cashing in their millions- the kids cashing in on the schollys, extra benefits and wearing the costume in front of adoring sold out stadiums. Riley got some of the kids over the hump- of hating the fans- BIG DEAL- that doesnt affect their play. Expecting to LOSE affects your play- it IS a BIG DEAL..

Yes- Riley was a whimp in every way and Frost will probably weed out a few of the posers. However changing that put in your time- do the minimum- look for a soft spot to land when you get punched in the mouth- is really tough to get out of the minds of an ENTIRE TEAM. It's almost like once it's been allowed to infect someone- it becomes part of them.

NU will be MUCH better coached this year
This wont be a 4 win team that really deserved to win 2 games like in 2017- the entire team wont lay down against the likes of Minnesota
But to get the infection of minimal effort and mental softness erased from this team will be done partly through coaching- and partly through attrition and adding new players.

I will stick by my prediction of 6-7 wins in year 1 thanks partly to the toughest schedule in DI- Much better football being played, improved running game- more physical, fewer blowouts- but there will be some lopsided losses. YOu will see better effort in those games though
Year 2 I expect to see a breakout of 10-11 wins- Less narrow wins against the bottom dwellers- a much more manageable schedule top 20 team
Year 3 Division title contenders - this year- more competitive against the better teams 9/10 wins. Every year putting a little more distance between NU and the bottom dwellers and middles.
Year 4 Division title winners or extremely extremely close- 10/11 wins Top 15 team. Much more physical team. Dominating the Purdues, NW Arkansas Tech, Illinois, Rutgers- beatdowns. Putting the middles well in the rearview miror- Minny, MD etc handling them with ease. Being the visibly better team and winning- expect to and beating the Northwesterns, Iowas. MSUs etc Setting our sights on and legitimately competing with the Wisconsin, MI, OSU and PSUs of the world as well as OU in OOC. Picking up a win here and there against them- playing them in legit games. Not struggling against bottom and middles.
Year 5- full schedule not out yet
Sorry, evidently my post wasn’t clear... the loser mentality I was referring to was the one MR created. Bo’s players didn’t exhibit a loser’s mentality.

And thanks for the specifics... I agree that we really have a good 2019... I think 10 or 11 wins gets us the division title. To me, 10 or 11 wins is a huge turnaround. 10 wins matches the best win total we have seen in the last 15 years. 11 wins haven’t been seen since 2001. That’s a turnaround to me.

I am guessing we are closer than I realized, and semantics has interfered with what we expect the turnaround to look like.

Thanks for this post.

Sorry, evidently my post wasn’t clear... the loser mentality I was referring to was the one MR created. Bo’s players didn’t exhibit a loser’s mentality.

And thanks for the specifics... I agree that we really have a good 2019... I think 10 or 11 wins gets us the division title. To me, 10 or 11 wins is a huge turnaround. 10 wins matches the best win total we have seen in the last 15 years. 11 wins haven’t been seen since 2001. That’s a turnaround to me.

I am guessing we are closer than I realized, and semantics has interfered with what we expect the turnaround to look like.

Thanks for this post.
I do NOT expect a Division Title in year 2
The pit is too deep- this is the BIG
People DO NOT give Wisconsin enough respect- which is laughable
No Paul C- and Wiscy isnt sexy- but they are really well coached, physical and fundamentally really sound, they dont beat themselves and they know who they are. They have great fan support.
To dismiss them in year 2- or even year 4 isnt right IMO
THis is 2018- we give Iowa for that matter or even Northwestern no respect either- especially given our present situation that is unwise IMO
We may be a better team in 2020 and 2021 than 2019- but have a worse record. HOW we win and lose is IMPORTANT- it matters. Schedules matter and 2019 is very manageable compared to 2020 and 2021- I think our team will be much improved in 2021 and in a better position to legitimately compete for both Division and League titles by then compared to 2019.

By 2021 all the bad blood will no longer be part of the program- and we can securely put the Riley nightmare behind us- hopefully the Riley die hards will have finally given up by then. Not sure- they seem pretty resilient

Last edited:
Reactions: jay-cheese
I do NOT expect a Division Title in year 2
The pit is too deep- this is the BIG
People DO NOT give Wisconsin enough respect- which is laughable
No Paul C- and Wiscy isnt sexy- but they are really well coached, physical and fundamentally really sound, they dont beat themselves and they know who they are. They have great fan support.
To dismiss them in year 2- or even year 4 isnt right IMO
THis is 2018- we give Iowa for that matter or even Northwestern no respect either- especially given our present situation that is unwise IMO
We may be a better team in 2020 and 2021 than 2019- but have a worse record. HOW we win and lose is IMPORTANT- it matters. Schedules matter and 2019 is very manageable compared to 2020 and 2021- I think our team will be much improved in 2021 and in a better position to legitimately compete for both Division and League titles by then.
So 10 or 11 wins won’t win us the division? It may not, I guess, but if we are 10-2 with losses to OSU and Mich or Mich St, we would have to have beaten Wisconsin head to head. Maybe the run the table the rest of the way, or we only lose to OSU in the west and our 2nd conference loss is to Wisconsin. If hat happens, yeah, we don’t win the division.

But...

Now that I consider the full season, bowl game included, we could lose 3 conference games and still get to 10. In which case, we aren’t winning the division over Wisconsin.

Your post makes sense, I just didn’t carry it through all the way.

So 10 or 11 wins won’t win us the division? It may not, I guess, but if we are 10-2 with losses to OSU and Mich or Mich St, we would have to have beaten Wisconsin head to head. Maybe the run the table the rest of the way, or we only lose to OSU in the west and our 2nd conference loss is to Wisconsin. If hat happens, yeah, we don’t win the division.

But...

Now that I consider the full season, bowl game included, we could lose 3 conference games and still get to 10. In which case, we aren’t winning the division over Wisconsin.

Your post makes sense, I just didn’t carry it through all the way.
Probable losses to:
OSU
WI
and either MI or MSU
Win the Bowl Game
10-3 would be great if NU makes progress in other areas
Wins over IA, NW and either MI or MSU would be DEFINITE and SIGNIFICANT/AGGRESSIVE progress

Personally seeing improvements in other metrics- 9 Wins would most likely mark very good progress- as long as we are continuing to create space between us and the bottom and middle. Like I mentioned- no more 1 point wins over Purdue or sweating it out into the 4th quarter over Rutgers, Illinois and the likes of Northwestern Arkansas Womens Teachers College or whoever they were.

Reactions: timnsun
Reading some of your stuff, one could easily believe you are hoping SF fails. Who do you really think should be coaching right now? Just pretend you are the AD right now. Tell us who you would have coach and why. Would it be MR for 1 or 2 more years. Why? did you see something that told you he would change the culture that no one else saw?

Otherwise, who else do you think could get NU looking great (not just good) again, re-establishing a winning culture and in only 3 years?

Obviously, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it is much easier and quicker to take a winning team and make it a losing one than making a losing team into a winner, including changing an entire, by necessity, culture to a winning one. If you don't agree, then tell us your formula and get it copyrighted because thousands of coaches want to know your secrets.
LOL.

This will clear up the confusion you have. I'm happy Frost is here over Riley and believe he will do great things at Nebraska.

They might have had more talent when they entered the MR program but they didn't have that talent when handed over to SF.
Go position by position on the talent and more important, depth each coach inherited.

Two most important positions on offense, QB and OL, Frost is most definitely benefiting more from (how many walk-on OL started against Ohio St in 2016) than Riley benefited from. There is no way anyone can say that Frost is inheriting worse talent at QB and OL than Riley did.

Look how players got looked out by the NFL last year and this year. We'll see how many of Riley's players get looked at by the NFL when they declare.

By the way, what definition of toxicity are you using?
Talk to Andy Janovich and he'll tell you exactly how much toxicity was in the locker room.
Does it include a low or no accountability for weight training, or a losing attitude, joking around on the sideline while your team is getting humiliated, not forcing a punt for more than 5 or 6 quarters in a row, etc., etc.?
That's not toxicity. That's crappy coaching and leadership.

Go position by position on the talent and more important, depth each coach inherited.

Two most important positions on offense, QB and OL, Frost is most definitely benefiting more from (how many walk-on OL started against Ohio St in 2016) than Riley benefited from. There is no way anyone can say that Frost is inheriting worse talent at QB and OL than Riley did.

Look how players got looked out by the NFL last year and this year. We'll see how many of Riley's players get looked at by the NFL when they declare.

Note- Riley inherited TWO 4 Star QBs in Tommy Armstrong and Johnny Stanton. His "QB whisperer" fraud of a coach didnt do anything to develop them- also see Tanner Lee for more evidence.

The Riley and Pelini recruiting classes were ranked about identical
Riley finished at his historic norm here
That shouldnt surprise anyone.
Rileys poor S&C really contribute to kids not being able to complete seasons
(SHould see a big improvement there- now that we have a real committed coach at the helm that's putting in the time and effort)

I’ve seen enough posts from huskerO that I think he does like Frost and thinks he will do really well here. I struggle with people who say it’s going to take four years to turn this thing around. It’s hard for me to believe that Frost’s players have to be juniors and seniors before we see a turnaround. I truly believe Frost is better than that.

This next year, as an optimist, I think Frost can win nine games. Keep in mind I’m an optimist, which hurt me in my support of Mike Riley. Maybe frost only wins six this year… But I think he can do better than that. And then next year, the sky’s the limit. Not saying he will win every game next year, but we will be a very hard team to beat.

I understand. I am going to be less expectant as I don't want to set goals for SF. I will leave it up to him to do the job he was hired to do and let him set his own goals, and I hope to enjoy the ride.

I remember in the 70's how local sportswriters would be writing preseason predictions of NC's and fans would get frustrated with TO when their expectations weren't met. Then TO was almost run out of town (a petition supposedly existed) or almost left to Colorado as a result.

In the 80's, the media would get everybody's hopes up for a NC almost EVERY year, only to be disappointed EVERY year. This ended up giving TO the national reputation of not able to win the "big one". I, personally don't think he ever deserved that.

Obviously, those artificial expectations set by the media and believed and demanded by the fans almost cost NU the greatest run in college football history. Is it really fans' responsibility to set goals for SF, therefore, indirectly, subtle demands on SF BEFORE he has even coached 1 game? It certainly doesn't seem fair or, to me, or responsible. I guess that's just what fans do, though.

It seems to me that if someone wants to set themselves up for possible disappointment, set the win total goal very high. On the other hand, if someone wants to set themselves up for satisfaction, set the goal very low.

If someone wants to be more realistic, IMO, set the goal to see improvement over the season and let the win total take care of itself.

I honestly think it is a worse kind of toxicity. Riley had to come in and change a team with an I mentality, us against the world. For the most part the players knew how to play football and were in good shape and played hard when on the field.
Frost came in to an I mentality team as well, but he also now has to try and fix the lazy attitudes and crappy work ethic that Riley instilled for 3 years. I have no idea how long that will take. Could take a year, could take more. I don't think it is fair to say Riley had more toxicity to deal with coming in.
What Riley left wasn't toxicity in my opinion. I'm not sure what you call it, but the best way I can describe it is that players aren't going to go into this season with a negative attitude like did in Riley first year. And that's because Riley didn't tell his players to give DONU the finger.

Like you said, it was "us against the world" mentality and when your leader is shit canned you're going to feel like it's "us against the world" even more than it ever was.

Reactions: husker2612

Ding ding ding
Youve finally got a winner on why the man you love and defend so much failed here and is a career .500 coach- and it has little to do with the possibility Riley was such a weak coach with such a weak resume that one or 2 20 year old players didnt respect him

Riley is responsible for the disaster he created
Due to:
Weakness
Horrificly bad management skills
Incompetence
Laziness
Lack of commitment
Poor previous track record

Ding ding ding
Youve finally got a winner on why the man you love and defend so much failed here and is a career .500 coach- and it has little to do with the possibility Riley was such a weak coach with such a weak resume that one or 2 20 year old players didnt respect him

Riley is responsible for the disaster he created
Due to:
Weakness
Horrificly bad management skills
Incompetence
Laziness
Lack of commitment
Poor previous track record
What?

What Riley left wasn't toxicity in my opinion. I'm not sure what you call it, but the best way I can describe it is that players aren't going to go into this season with a negative attitude like did in Riley first year. And that's because Riley didn't tell his players to give DONU the finger.

Like you said, it was "us against the world" mentality and when your leader is shit canned you're going to feel like it's "us against the world" even more than it ever was.

What a load of huey
Im a player at NU
I want to play- I want to win- like they had for the previous 7 years
Some want to make the NFL

They are going to purposely tank the season and their careers in loyalty to a disgraced coach that a certified whack job that can no longer help them in any real way ???
NOT TRUE- DIDNT HAPPEN

The excuse train continues
RIley was a ,500 coach- we GOT WHAT HE WAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE
His teams were soft- his teams were weak
We got who he was
Had NOTHING to do with Pelini

Last edited:

The reason for no NFL talent is due to player regression under MR. As for QB. Riley inherited an experienced starter, two 4 star QBs of which one of them was an elite 11 winner. Using one example of walk-ons for the Ohio State game is ridiculous. Injuries and transfers played a big part of much of this too. It could also be said the walk-ons "passed" the scholarship players because of the Soft Riley attitude. A lot of things could be made up. Y

The bottom line is you are trying to defend MR and acting like SF has it so much better because of how well MR did. That chit won't fly here.

Talk to Andy Janovich and he'll tell you exactly how much toxicity was in the locker room.

So what is your excuse- 3 years in???
ALL but a handful of the Pelini kids are gone

Why did your hero only win 4 games- BARELY
Why did they get blown out by Minny and lose to Northwesten Illinois Tech and barely beat Purdue and Northwest Arkansas Womens Teacher College?

How is it anyones fault but Rileys when they get blown out by Minny and layed down against Minny and OSU? And had 9 stoppages of play against PURDUE- we got beat up by PURDUE??

Please stop defending the worst coach in 56 yeas here- who put our beloved Cornhuskers up to the brink of destruction

The reason for no NFL talent is due to player regression under MR.
This is BS and you know it. If you're talented enough you'll get drafted.

As for QB. Riley inherited an experienced starter, two 4 star QBs of which one of them was an elite 11 winner.
Tommy didn't fit Riley's system. Or does that excuse not apply for Riley (but will for Frost)... Sorry how did Stanton and AJ Bush do at their new schools?

Using one example of walk-ons for the Ohio State game is ridiculous.
No it isn't. It's only ridiculous because it shows what crappy talent and depth Riley had on the OL.

Injuries and transfers played a big part of much of this too.
Which is why depth is important and we didn't have any. Wonder why players transferred? Couldn't have been because what Bo said on his way out...

It could also be said the walk-ons "passed" the scholarship players because of the Soft Riley attitude.
So our walk-ons could get through Riley's soft attitude, but Pelini's scholarship players couldn't? Yeah you're reaching here.

acting like SF has it so much better because of how well MR did.
Sigh... There's no doubt that SF has it better than MR did. That's partly because Riley did a better job rebuilding this team with talent and depth than what Pelini did. Before you get your panties in a bunch, that doesn't mean Riley did a spectacular job in rebuilding the program with talent and depth. It simply means that he did a better job than Pelini.

Sigh... There's no doubt that SF has it better than MR did. That's partly because Riley did a better job rebuilding this team with talent and depth than what Pelini did. Before you get your panties in a bunch, that doesn't mean Riley did a spectacular job in rebuilding the program with talent and depth. It simply means that he did a better job than Pelini.

Everything about this post is wrong. SF does not have it better than MR. If you think he built so much talent than why are they so soft and losing? You are just making things up to support your uncle or dad or whatever MR is to you.

No, Riley's results were not toxic. They were bad & excusable, but not toxic.

Being:

Lazy
Uncommitted
Lying to the fan base
and being Incompetent is not excusable
Not from a 63 year old man

Creating a soft- loser- lazy- laydown mentality in our team- after inheriting a 9/10 win per year team for 7 years is INEXCUSEABLE at Nebraska
Fine for Oregon State or Millenial U- not at Nebraska
That is toxic- it gets into a teams bloodstream- hard to shake

I disagree. Riley inherited a group of players who were hard workers and used to winning. Riley made them soft, lazy and losers. The players saw it immediately and that is what was toxic. That same toxicity existed when SF took over. We got the right guy now to change that. But he is inheriting a team with a losing attitude. Much worse than what MR had. To say this team at 4-8 has better talent than what MR took over at 9-4 is ridiculous. They might have had more talent when they entered the MR program but they didn't have that talent when handed over to SF.

Exactly

So you're calling Andy Janovich a liar?
PLEASE ANSWER THIS:

Riley is who he is
We got his historic results and like many experts saw- A PAC 10 Team
We became Oregon State
Why would ANYONE be surprised- in ANY way

If you think he built so much talent than why are they so soft and losing?
No, I think he built more talent and depth for Frost than Pelini did for Riley.

The talent level had very little to do with our players being soft and losing.

Being:

Lazy
Uncommitted
Lying to the fan base
and being Incompetent is not excusable
Not from a 63 year old man

Creating a soft- loser- lazy- laydown mentality in our team- after inheriting a 9/10 win per year team for 7 years is INEXCUSEABLE at Nebraska
Fine for Oregon State or Millenial U- not at Nebraska
That is toxic- it gets into a teams bloodstream- hard to shake
Whoops, typo. I meant inexcusable.

Though, I did not mean inexcuseable either :)

PLEASE ANSWER THIS:

Riley is who he is
We became Oregon State
What difference does it makes? It doesn't change the fact that Frost is inheriting more talent, depth and less toxicity than Riley when he first got here.

You keep bringing up Riley prior to him coming to Nebraska and past year 2, but that is a different conversation.

What difference does it makes? It doesn't change the fact that Frost is inheriting more talent, depth and less toxicity than Riley when he first got here.

You keep bringing up Riley prior to him coming to Nebraska and past year 2 is a different conversation.

That is according to you- a person that has defended Riley to the bitter end and past and WANTED TO GIVE HIM TWO MORE YEARS- even after the end of last season

That should be enough to help ANYONE understand the depth and correctness of our opinions on NU football and to totally discount them- kinda like the Frost should intern under Riley 85 year old women opinions

ONCE MORE- Riley is handing over damaged goods
He inherited a team that won and expected to win and worked hard and won 9/10 games for SEVEN STRAIGHT YEARS- those are facts
A team that expects to lose and got CRUSHED by MInny
MANHANDLED by PURDUE
Blown out 62-3 to OSU
CRUSHED BY IOWA- IOWA
Hes handing over a FOUR WIN_ team that BARELY won those 4 could have been 2

He left this team and program in shambles- absolute shambles

His name should be struck from anything connected to Nebraska- and would love to see NU be one of the many teams to put a beating on his hapless loser Oregon State teams

You keep bringing up Riley prior to him coming to Nebraska and past year 2, but that is a different conversation.
Youre claiming Riley got sandbagged by Bo and a toxic lockerroom

How was the lockerroom toxic in the year 3 of the glorious reign of the man you love- Mike Riley?

Riley is who he is
We became Oregon State

And why in the world would you give that man 2 more years- someone who had slit the programs throat and was quickly bleeding to death and you want to give that guy a gun? Allowing for a fatal death blow- WOW

Last edited:
Everything about this

This post became wrong when you said it was a fact. It is not a fact that frost is inheriting more talent, depth and less toxicity than Riley. Having a losing, lazy, soft attitude from 3 years of MR is about as toxic as you can get.

We don't know how the talent on the OL is, do we? That's because MR and cav only prepared FIVE guys each game. And they did NOT seem to develop them.

The players mr got will be drafted more, yes, but because they will now be DEVELOPED and STRENGTHENED more under SF. Do you really think just as many will have been drafted if MR had been allowed to stay? That would be an extremely optimistic prediction, IMO.

Do you think this might be because the players realize they have a much better coach now?

List the 2-deep on every position with Riley's first year and then list the projected 2-deep for Frost's first year.

The projected 2 deep for the 2018 squad? You are really only talking theory. Did SF and his staff make this projection BEFORE spring drills even started? Of course not. They will be better BECAUSE SF's staff will have molded them to be better and they will be older, not because of any default switch mr built into them. Potential doesn't go very far on the field, and it seems that's what your argument is based upon. Please clarify.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT