ADVERTISEMENT

Frost hypothetical

He was going to. If Frost didn't sign on, he was the guy and had agreed.

Where did you hear this? Was it in an article somewhere?

I agree. SF has said as much with regards to having a contract from each school on his desk while trying to decide.

I remember reading that article where Frost had a conversation on UCF's campus with a guy while walking from one building to another and the guy asked him how he was doing and he told the guy about those contracts.

If I remember right, it was within a week of Frost being announced as our head coach.

UF publically courted and all but announced Chip Kelly as their next coach, it was completely botched. Had it not been for the Tennessee search fiasco (which was shockingly worse than Pedey's search) then the UF struggle would have been front and center. They were fortunate to have Mullen on speed dial.

So the conversation went like this?

Scott Stricklin: hi Scott, Scott Stricklin from Florida. I would like to talk to you about our coaching vacancy.

Scott Frost: can I bring my entire staff with me?

SS: no

SF: no thanks

Somehow I think it lasted a little longer and there was a little more interest, from both sides, than we believe. That is a great job in fertile recruiting grounds where you can play for and win national titles.

Haha no I don't think it happened exactly like that, I don't think any coaching search happens that way. Like @Larry Hagman's Liver said, I figure Frost's agent probably had some back and forth with a LOT of schools who were out to hire him or at least gauge his interest, his agent probably got a lot of the details narrowed down quickly, and according to Beckman that was something that Frost wasn't willing to budge on for any job.

Haha no I don't think it happened exactly like that, I don't think any coaching search happens that way. Like @Larry Hagman's Liver said, I figure Frost's agent probably had some back and forth with a LOT of schools who were out to hire him or at least gauge his interest, his agent probably got a lot of the details narrowed down quickly, and according to Beckman that was something that Frost wasn't willing to budge on for any job.

My comments were in jest. Of course there were other conversations. I think the original quote from Beckton said he was offered the job. Was he really? So he had enough conversations to be offered the job but can I bring my whole staff wasn’t discussed until after the offer? I doubt it.

Reactions: huskerj12
Oh Gawd, if SF & staff would have gone to Florida we would have kept Smiling Mike and the humiliations would never stop. Losing seasons after losing seasons......we would officially have turned into Minnesota (actually probably far worse).

Anything is possible but I think that would have sunk our ship for good.
The loser - Mike Riley - was gone regardless.

He was the quarterback on a national championship team here. I think people were vastly underestimating the pull of being an alumni. He was a Husker, knows everything about what that means. Nebraska is his home state. All of this creates an intense emotional pull to come back. Those thinking this was purely a business decision are wrong. It was most likely emotions and connections more than anything, and that's perfectly ok.

Reactions: Sinomatic
If he is so adamant about keeping his staff together what happens if the defense doesnt work? Many have tried the 3-4 in the b10 and only one has been successful (wiscy) they are also regarded as one of the best developmental programs and have access to 400 pound cheese eaters. Not trying to stir the pot, but if he is this adamant about it, that has to be a thought for you chaps. Scott is a heck of an offensive mind no doubt, its chandelier I wonder about.

Last edited:
No school (and especially an SEC school) was going to give Frost the freedom to do things his way like Nebraska was going to give him. That's hardly a surprise. And Frost verified beforehand with Oz and Davison what he'd get under Nebraska's new regime.

I suspect though the more interesting take is that Chip Kelly most likely also chafed against the Florida stipulations that came with the job offer which why he picked UCLA at the last minute. It was no secret that Florida's situation came with some interference and strings. Heck, even Spurrier was allowed to give plays to be run to the prior coach.

And Tennessee was a total mess right at that time with the fiasco that resulted in the AD getting canned.

It was one time that the timing was perfect and the stars aligned for Nebraska. I think Nebraska was always the job Frost most wanted but he still was only going to come under his terms with the right AD leadership.

Last edited:
If he is so adamant about keeping his staff together what happens if the defense doesnt work? Many have tried the 3-4 in the b10 and only one has been successful (wiscy) they are also regarded as one of the best developmental programs and have access to 400 pound cheese eaters. Not trying to stir the pot, but if he is this adamant about it, that has to be a thought for you chaps. Scott is a heck of an offensive mind no doubt, its chandelier I wonder about.
What, they don't sell cheese in Nebraska? Laughing

iowa sucks

I believe it was Sean Beckton that made that statement

wish he would have simply said that Coach Frost was offered a number of jobs and one of his conditions was that he be allowed to bring his entire staff

by getting into more specifics about Florida it implies to some that he said no to Florida because of the restrictions rather than Nebraska being his first choice and away we go ... a great quote for journalist and message board speculation if that was the intent
The Florida job is probably why we threw the bank at Frost when i thought he probably would have taken it for less. Clearly Frost had all the leverage and he played the game well. He's not a dumb guy.

Reactions: jlb321
Florida obviously wasn't as high on Frost as many on this board thought as they obviously wouldn't give him what he wanted.

Bit of an ego hit to take an in state non power 5 school's entire staff

Didn't Steve Pederson tell Urban Meyer that he couldn't bring his entire staff from Utah to Nebraska therefore Urban said no thanks?

Didn't Steve Pederson tell Urban Meyer that he couldn't bring his entire staff from Utah to Nebraska therefore Urban said no thanks?

Not sure about that, but Meyer didn’t like the idea of a Head Coach being fired for winning 9 games regularly every season.

Believe that had more to do with not wanting the Nebraska job.

Personally, I don't think so. I believe he was Lincoln - bound regardless. Home is where the heart is

Not sure about that, but Meyer didn’t like the idea of a Head Coach being fired for winning 9 games regularly every season.

Yes, I remember that. He thought it was crazy and wanted no part of it.

I personally think that was a convenient story for Meyer to cite as a reason for not being interested in the Nebraska job. He had only been at Utah for one year after 2003- he went 10-2 and his star was rising but not yet at its peak. He knew what he had coming back - including Alex Smith - in 2004. Urb is a smart guy - based on his returning team he knew he was going to have another great season and that in all likelihood bigger fish than Nebraska would come calling. Leaving a program after 2 years is also much easier from a PR standpoint than being somewhere for a single year and bolting. Urb knew that there are easier places to win than Nebraska and wanted one of those jobs.

Nebraska could have had Urban if they would have fired Solich after the 7 loss season (something they could have easily justified and not taken a PR hit) and had the foresight to offer him the job when he was ready to leave Bowling Green when the choice would have been Utah or Nebraska.

If Nebraska had only won 6 games in 2003 rather than 9 I still do not believe Meyer would have taken the job.

Langsdorf or Diaco would have been just fine as Riley’s replacement.

Possibly Billy Devaney as a third choice just because he was such a good talent evaluator and delegator.

Last edited:
Frost has said that he wasn't contacted by NU during the process that produced Riley, but that at that time he wasn't at all impressed with the people who would have been his bosses. To me it sounds like he wouldn't have been a big fan of the situation in Gator country. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

I am a bit worried about this too. Hopefully it's irrelevant, and in 3-4 years we have the players for his system including a great Blackshirt defense.

Without Teo how are Diaco's defenses? Not eye opening impressive. He came in after being fired in a real tentative situation and only had "1 year" to get it going with personnel he didn't recruit. I'm not sure the 2017 Cornhusker defense would be a good example of a 3-4 in the B1G.

Chinander's defense had the second most takeaways in the nation last year. If he can do the same and the offense becomes hard to stop like Oregon's or UCF's or the Eagles under Kelly then that will be a pretty effective D even if our 3-4 isn't considered an "attacking" defense like a 4-3 is usually seen as. You can have an ineffective 4-3 just as easily.

JUCO NT's can be recruited if more weight up front in high school recruiting becomes a problem.

Were gonna getcha Herky. ;)

GO BIG RED!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT