ADVERTISEMENT

Frost has made Nebraska competitive again

Gregory should have been a first round draft pick. Gerry and Collins were NFL players. That's a heck of a lot better than any class Riley or Frost has put together so far.
Not to quibble, but Frost’s classes are just now becoming nfl eligible… his first class was put together in a month and a ton of attrition there, but this year and in the next few years is when we will see how nfl ready these players are.

3-4 spots left. Only guys we would maybe take are an OL and a CB. We need to save several spots for transfers. That's the game now. This is an extremely small class due to how young our roster is. You can complain if you want about there only being 3 star guys in this class but with the lack of camps and evaluations of guys last year due to COVID, it's tough to say how accurate some of the star rankings are on a lot of recruits this year.
Fair enough. It's tough indeed and we'll have to see how the next class shakes out. That could really determine Frosts status next season if we're still losing games AND the class stinks. That's if he has a job still coming into next year, which sounds like he will barring a major meltdown according to Alberts.

He did ok in recruiting and had a good push early due to success, but a lot of those guys turned out to be diamonds in the rough. It's good he had an eye for them, but go look at Pelini's entire classes. There was some rough classes.
And what kind of high school "classes" has Nebraska had since he left??

By the way I could have kept naming players Nick Gates, Carlos and Kahlil Davis, Stanley Jean-Baptiste. The list goes on and on....

Blake was an assistant coach at Mississippi State when he met Suh’s sister, Ngum, who was playing soccer for the Bulldogs.
Learning about Ndamukong, he was as impressed by the big man’s mobility on the basketball court as he was with his power on the football field.
The two connected. Blake became a Husker assistant coach. Suh decided to leave Portland, Ore., and settle in Lincoln.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Not to quibble, but Frost’s classes are just now becoming nfl eligible… his first class was put together in a month and a ton of attrition there, but this year and in the next few years is when we will see how nfl ready these players are.
Okay, but noone was giving Pelini that same excuse in 2014, even when he had put several players into the NFL prior to that.

Okay, but noone was giving Pelini that same excuse in 2014, even when he had put several players into the NFL prior to that.
That is a fair point… my response is Pelini had the good fortune to develop talented players left by Callahan. And he did develop them.

Frost wasn’t left with the same caliber player, and he certainly hasn’t developed them.

Why do you keep dismissing all of the close losses? Nebraska should be 5-0 and ranked number 3 in the country. All they have to do is stop making the same bonehead mistakes they've been making for the past 3+ years. It's not like that's going to continue for another 3+ years, especially with a bunch of different players who might be less mistake-prone than the current bunch.. If all of that bad luck continues for another 3 years then maybe they should consider a coaching change. Or an exorcism. Probably the latter. It's certainly not Frost's fault that they keep beating themselves and he said as much in his last interview.
if it has happened already as you say, then you have evidence that it can continue..

and the 5th place divisional finishes will continue, until they don't.

so far we played a couple of teams tough, and will prob get a win Saturday, making us .500 and will crawl up from 7th in the division eventually to maybe 5th again.

so until something actually changes...

That is a fair point… my response is Pelini had the good fortune to develop talented players left by Callahan. And he did develop them.

Frost wasn’t left with the same caliber player, and he certainly hasn’t developed them.
Noone knew they were talented players until Pelini developed them. I started reading this board around that 2007 timeframe, and the majority of threads were we had no talent, Nebraska football is dead, and it was going to take a massive rebuild. And in a couple short years, we found out we had the talent to produce a national championship caliber defense and a lot of those same players were on that 2007 defense. There's probably a lot of talent on Riley and Frost coached teams that we never knew about because they were never developed.

Noone knew they were talented players until Pelini developed them. I started reading this board around that 2007 timeframe, and the majority of threads were we had no talent, Nebraska football is dead, and it was going to take a massive rebuild. And in a couple short years, we found out we had the talent to produce a national championship caliber defense and a lot of those same players were on that 2007 defense. There's probably a lot of talent on Riley and Frost coached teams that we never knew about because they were never developed.
I think this is possible, but just because fans said we had no talent, the recruiting analysts begged to differ. IF, and it’s a big IF, we measure recruits according to stars, Pelini was left with far more than Frost.

That being said, Frost has been questionable at developing the talent he does have, so who knows? What we can say is Pelini did a far better job developing talent than Frost has at this point in his career.

And what kind of high school "classes" has Nebraska had since he left??

By the way I could have kept naming players Nick Gates, Carlos and Kahlil Davis, Stanley Jean-Baptiste. The list goes on and on....
Fans bagged on Nick Gates the entire time he was here about not being a good lineman and then he went to the NFL and has done well for himself. Jaimes and Farniok probably could be the same way. I'm not saying we didn't get some players, we did, but if you go look on the whole (especially the ones I posted) those classes were terrible. Recruiting can be a crap should, but teams should hope to have at least 50% of the guys pan out. Also like Timsun said earlier, it is a little early to judge Frost's classes. Who knows how they will turn out, but there probably is some NFL talent there.

Not saying Frost's classes are great, but here is my opinion of people who may make the pros or could have but injuries derailed:

2018 - Cam Jurgens (Draft Pick), Caleb Tannor (UDFE), Will Honas (injuries killed him), Maurice Washington (NFL talent), Deontai Williams (UDFE), Cam Taylor Britt (Draft Pick), Casey Rogers (injury issues), Braxton Clark (unknown)

2019 - Wan'Dale (Gone, but UDFE), Heinrich (UDFE), Ty Robinson (Draft Pick), Pola Gates, Dedrick Mills (UDFE), Farmer (UDFE), Quinton Newsome (UDFE), Vokolek,(UDFE), Reimer (UDFE)

2020 - Corcoran (Draft Pick at guard), Betts (Draft Pick), Omar Manning (UDFE), Nash Hutch (UDFE),

Others that are pretty good or still with time to develop - Rahmir, Hickman, Garrett Nelson, Morrison, Pheldarius

Piper, Banks, Javin Wright, Benhardt, Joseph, Smothers, Nixon, Delancy, Jordon Riley,

Some of these are hard to prognosticate, but could be some decent talent there, just need some coaching.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Fans bagged on Nick Gates the entire time he was here about not being a good lineman and then he went to the NFL and has done well for himself. Jaimes and Farniok probably could be the same way. I'm not saying we didn't get some players, we did, but if you go look on the whole (especially the ones I posted) those classes were terrible. Recruiting can be a crap should, but teams should hope to have at least 50% of the guys pan out. Also like Timsun said earlier, it is a little early to judge Frost's classes. Who knows how they will turn out, but there probably is some NFL talent there.

Not saying Frost's classes are great, but here is my opinion of people who may make the pros or could have but injuries derailed:

2018 - Cam Jurgens (Draft Pick), Caleb Tannor (UDFE), Will Honas (injuries killed him), Maurice Washington (NFL talent), Deontai Williams (UDFE), Cam Taylor Britt (Draft Pick), Casey Rogers (injury issues), Braxton Clark (unknown)

2019 - Wan'Dale (Gone, but UDFE), Heinrich (UDFE), Ty Robinson (Draft Pick), Pola Gates, Dedrick Mills (UDFE), Farmer (UDFE), Quinton Newsome (UDFE), Vokolek,(UDFE), Reimer (UDFE)

2020 - Corcoran (Draft Pick at guard), Betts (Draft Pick), Omar Manning (UDFE), Nash Hutch (UDFE),

Others that are pretty good or still with time to develop - Rahmir, Hickman, Garrett Nelson, Morrison, Pheldarius

Piper, Banks, Javin Wright, Benhardt, Joseph, Smothers, Nixon, Delancy, Jordon Riley,

Some of these are hard to prognosticate, but could be some decent talent there, just need some coaching.

Here is the problem and you are making my point. Damn near half those players you listed were NOT HIGH SCHOOL recruits....they were transfers and junior college. This means Scott is doing tremendously bad at high school recruiting.

All the dudes I listed were high school players Bo recruited except maybe 2 or 3 of them. Then you included guys that are no longer here. I could have listed players like Braylon Heard, Aaron Green and OTHERS that were high level recruits that Bo got, but I didn't because they LEFT THE PROGRAM.

Then you said Bo didn't hit on 50% of his recruits. I don't think Scott has hit on 10%! Face it man, it was a myth that Bo didn't recruit well. The shit show of players and DEVELOPMENT we've had come thru here the last 7 years is sad.

Here is the problem and you are making my point. Damn near half those players you listed were NOT HIGH SCHOOL recruits....they were transfers and junior college. This means Scott is doing tremendously bad at high school recruiting.

All the dudes I listed were high school players Bo recruited except maybe 2 or 3 of them. Then you included guys that are no longer here. I could have listed players like Braylon Heard, Aaron Green and OTHERS that were high level recruits that Bo got, but I didn't because they LEFT THE PROGRAM.

Then you said Bo didn't hit on 50% of his recruits. I don't think Scott has hit on 10%! Face it man, it was a myth that Bo didn't recruit well. The shit show of players and DEVELOPMENT we've had come thru here the last 7 years is sad.

Bo didn't hit anywhere near 50% and if you think it's a myth that he didn't recruit well than I don't know what to tell you.... Also, recruiting isn't just HS players. A lot of your "Bo" recruits that are studs are all Juco or transfer type players as times have changed, so not sure what you are getting at. Recruiting is recruiting and at this point I would much rather take the Scott Frost classes over what Bo did especially after his last 3 to 4 years. I think Scott's issues come down to development. He is hitting on his defensive players because we are getting pretty good development out of the coaching staff. If for some reason he could get the Offensive staff to develop he'd probably be solid there as well because especially on the offensive line there are some highly recruited players with Corcoran being one of the highest rated recruits we've ever had at NU.

I definitely think Scott Frost can up his game in the high school recruiting department, but he is getting some pretty damn good talent.

If Pelini's classes were terrible, Riley's and Frost's classes were even more terrible. You can't have two sets of standards. Half of those guys you listed by year hardly even played for us or wanted to get the hell out of here and left. One thing you can say about Pelini is he got the talent he did have to stick around and be multiple year contributors. It doesn't mean much if you recruit NFL talent, but they all leave the program within a year. Almost every guy you listed on the bottom half is nowhere near being an NFL talent.

You're also predicting that Frost's classes will average less than 2 draft picks per year, while Pelini averaged higher than 3. Pelini recruited better talent, developed that talent, and kept them around much better than Frost. Pelini is a much better recruiter and coach than we've had since Solich and that's proven in the record.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Bo didn't hit anywhere near 50% and if you think it's a myth that he didn't recruit well than I don't know what to tell you.... Also, recruiting isn't just HS players. A lot of your "Bo" recruits that are studs are all Juco or transfer type players as times have changed, so not sure what you are getting at. Recruiting is recruiting and at this point I would much rather take the Scott Frost classes over what Bo did especially after his last 3 to 4 years. I think Scott's issues come down to development. He is hitting on his defensive players because we are getting pretty good development out of the coaching staff. If for some reason he could get the Offensive staff to develop he'd probably be solid there as well because especially on the offensive line there are some highly recruited players with Corcoran being one of the highest rated recruits we've ever had at NU.

I definitely think Scott Frost can up his game in the high school recruiting department, but he is getting some pretty damn good talent.
Even by your measure, Frost is recruiting less talent than Pelini. I agree with you it doesn't matter much to me if it's a juco or high school recruit. The important thing is keeping that talent around and developing it which Frost has done a piss poor job of doing.

If Pelini's classes were terrible, Riley's and Frost's classes were even more terrible. You can't have two sets of standards. Half of those guys you listed by year hardly even played for us or wanted to get the hell out of here and left. One thing you can say about Pelini is he got the talent he did have to stick around and be multiple year contributors. It doesn't mean much if you recruit NFL talent, but they all leave the program within a year. Almost every guy you listed on the bottom half is nowhere near being an NFL talent.
I don't have two standards and like I said, hard to judge Frost classes right now because most are becoming draft eligible. Yes, Riley's classes really sucked..

You're also predicting that Frost's classes will average less than 2 draft picks per year, while Pelini averaged higher than 3. Pelini recruited better talent, developed that talent, and kept them around much better than Frost. Pelini is a much better recruiter and coach than we've had since Solich and that's proven in the record.
Where did I say that Frost is a better coach than Pelini. I'll wait.

Our team plays a couple of close games and people give some encouraging words and the fan base runs with it.., and so now the narrative quickly changes to 'we are so close to being back' type thing.. The only thing that has changed is AM is not the complete mental breakdown guy this year, so we are playing more up to our potential, but we still haven't been winning many games.

It's pretty amazing to see the changes on this site of people who now think we are contenders or a top 20 team again.

Our team plays a couple of close games and people give some encouraging words and the fan base runs with it.., and so now the narrative quickly changes to 'we are so close to being back' type thing.. The only thing that has changed is AM is not the complete mental breakdown guy this year, so we are playing more up to our potential, but we still haven't been winning many games.

It's pretty amazing to see the changes on this site of people who now think we are contenders or a top 20 team again.
1 game is a fluke. 2 games raises eyebrows. Beat Northwestern by 3 TDs and it is a pattern.

If (and it’s a big IF) we take care of business tomorrow evening, it is increasingly apparent that we are trending up. But it has to continue the rest of the season for it to be worthwhile.

1 game is a fluke. 2 games raises eyebrows. Beat Northwestern by 3 TDs and it is a pattern.

If (and it’s a big IF) we take care of business tomorrow evening, it is increasingly apparent that we are trending up. But it has to continue the rest of the season for it to be worthwhile.
Kind of like how 1 loss is a fluke, 2 losses raises eyebrows, 3 losses is a pattern?

Where did I say that Frost is a better coach than Pelini. I'll wait.
That was certainly the thought early in his tenure, that's the whole reason he was hired is to produce better results than the guys we fired. There's still a lot of people saying Callahan was a better coach than Pelini which is just asinine. Callahan got most of his talent from Solich, and by the way a few of his best defensive players were recruited by Pelini in 2003. Imagine that 2006 team without Carriker and Moore, the defensive meltdown would have happened a year earlier.

NU was trending up after Fordham and Buffalo.

Reactions: timnsun

What trend are you referring to exactly? Nebraska is 2-3 with wins against Buffalo and Fordham. Even if they get by Northwestern that's not a trend. That's a pattern that they are capable of beating bad teams and stubbing their toe and losing against better ones. Hasn't that been a well established pattern for the last 6 years?

Reactions: NikkiSixx

Northwestern is bad. Beating them tomorrow won't mean anything other than 3-3

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
What trend are you referring to exactly? Nebraska is 2-3 with wins against Buffalo and Fordham. Even if they get by Northwestern that's not a trend. That's a pattern that they are capable of beating bad teams and stubbing their toe and losing against better ones. Hasn't that been a well established pattern for the last 6 years?
This is what I’m getting at… Nebraska played well enough to beat Oklahoma on the road. They played well enough to beat Michigan state on the road. They’ve looked good in both of those games. What lost them those games were stupid mistakes and coaching gaffes. But they actually, for the first time in a few years, look the part of a good team. They just gotta figure out how to stop giving away games.

If they can’t figure that out, the trend will be what it always happens been… finding a way to lose.

Tomorrow night is up in the air on what’s gonna happen. But if they roll Northwestern like they’re supposed to, I’m excited to see the finish to this season. If they lose ugly, What remaining hope I have disappears.

This is what I’m getting at… Nebraska played well enough to beat Oklahoma on the road. They played well enough to beat Michigan state on the road. They’ve looked good in both of those games. What lost them those games were stupid mistakes and coaching gaffes. But they actually, for the first time in a few years, look the part of a good team. They just gotta figure out how to stop giving away games.

If they can’t figure that out, the trend will be what it always happens been… finding a way to lose.

Tomorrow night is up in the air on what’s gonna happen. But if they roll Northwestern like they’re supposed to, I’m excited to see the finish to this season. If they lose ugly, What remaining hope I have disappears.
Again, I'm not sure what's changed at all. Go back and look. Statistics mean nothing in these games. They have actually had the statistical advantage in the majority of games they've lost over the past 3 years including 2 of the 3 games they've lost this year. The only teams they've actually beaten are lower tier teams and a grand total of zero ranked teams. Beating a down Northwestern tomorrow won't tell you anything. Dominating Northwestern statistically and losing won't tell you anything other than that last nail is probably in the coffin. Nothing really changes the narrative except actually beating a few quality teams.

Again, I'm not sure what's changed at all. Go back and look. Statistics mean nothing in these games. They have actually had the statistical advantage in the majority of games they've lost over the past 3 years including 2 of the 3 games they've lost this year. The only teams they've actually beaten are lower tier teams and a grand total of zero ranked teams. Beating a down Northwestern tomorrow won't tell you anything. Dominating Northwestern statistically and losing won't tell you anything other than that last nail is probably in the coffin. Nothing really changes the narrative except actually beating a few quality teams.
To a large extent, you’re basically right… but somehow it feels different right now. We don’t here about any division or anything in the locker room like we have the last 2+ years, our defense is better than it has been in 10 years…

Of course, it could all be wishful thinking on my part. We will know soon enough at season’s end.

No they didn't play well enough because they lost. You can put all the conditions on it you want, a loss is a loss.

Some posters care more about wanting Scott Frost as the head coaching losing games than the desire to win games.

So No didn't recruit huh??

Lets see, Lavonte David, Gomes, Ameer Abdullah, Quincy Enunwa, Kenny Bell, Mallek Collins, Vincent Valentine, Rex Buckhead, Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong, Westerkamp, Will Compton, Demornay Pierson-El, Nate Gerry, Randy Gregory, Joshua Kalu, Sam Foltz, Cethan Carter, Pat Smith, Kyler Reed, Damion Stafford, Eric Martin, Bret Maher just to make a few.

Who you think recruited them The Easter Bunny??!

Every player I named were either all conference, All-American or made it to the NFL in Bo's last 2 years. In fact I'm hard pressed to say those are the best players Nebraska has had in the last DECADE!

STOP THE REVISIONIST HISTORY!

So No didn't recruit huh??

Lets see, Lavonte David, Gomes, Ameer Abdullah, Quincy Enunwa, Kenny Bell, Mallek Collins, Vincent Valentine, Rex Buckhead, Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong, Westerkamp, Will Compton, Demornay Pierson-El, Nate Gerry, Randy Gregory, Joshua Kalu, Sam Foltz, Cethan Carter, Pat Smith, Kyler Reed, Damion Stafford, Eric Martin, Bret Maher just to make a few.

Who you think recruited them The Easter Bunny??!

Every player I named were either all conference, All-American or made it to the NFL in Bo's last 2 years. In fact I'm hard pressed to say those are the best players Nebraska has had in the last DECADE!

STOP THE REVISIONIST HISTORY!

Most of those recruits were good on they're own but could have been better under a different coach surrounded by a better team. We beat teams we should, but got boat raced against better teams. As for Suh, Bo didn't recruit him, nor did he make him great, that was Suh himself.
As most would agree, if Bo could control his temper, recruited better as opposed to relying on projects he may have still been here. He had a few good player, but not enough to win the big games.

Most of those recruits were good on they're own but could have been better under a different coach surrounded by a better team. We beat teams we should, but got boat raced against better teams. As for Suh, Bo didn't recruit him, nor did he make him great, that was Suh himself.
As most would agree, if Bo could control his temper, recruited better as opposed to relying on projects he may have still been here. He had a few good player, but not enough to win the big games.
Man, you really hate Bo haha

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT