From the University of Florida side:

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by newAD, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

It was his dream job - before he got married and had a kid. That can change your perspective a lot. The wife may not want to live in Nebraska. Or he may not want to have to fly all around the country recruiting, which would limit the time he gets to spend with his family.

Bugeater, blackbones and timnsun like this.
  2. timnsun

timnsun Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

No, he said it one time and there are no take-backs.

3. StrongArm517

StrongArm517 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Mock,,,,
    Ing
    Bird,,,
    ing

tdierberger likes this.
  4. tdierberger

tdierberger Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Yeah...
    Yeah

StrongArm517 likes this.
  5. newAD

newAD Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

6. StrongArm517

StrongArm517 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

no erasies

Riley_the_Crutch likes this.
  7. TheNewNU

TheNewNU Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

Who did Sharp say was coming here last go around?

8. YouGotSwatted!

YouGotSwatted! Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

That’s a strawman (albeit a logical one). As 99.9% of the folks here have said, he wants to be back at NU.

9. jimbosc

jimbosc All-American
    Expand Collapse

Those without a vested interest (aka Florida and Nebraska fans) point to this as the main reason Frost SHOULD go to Nebraska. He will be given more time and leeway in Lincoln then he will get at Florida. That may not be what Frost cares about....but I think it is a very valid point.

Pennsyhusker likes this.
  10. FrostTroll

FrostTroll Walk On
    Expand Collapse

LoL i want Frost here, i refuse to hold my breath that he still feels the exact same way he did in 2012. I know for me, having 3 children, I would much rather raise them in Nebraska over Florida. I cannot begin to know what he currently wants or when his wife finally delivers the baby what impact that may have, neither can you. Until Frost gives a 2017 soundbite/interview stating he wants to be at Nebraska you cannot begin to say it is the AD/Admin's fault if he doesnt come here. There is no way to argue differently.

11. bomber89

bomber89 Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I've never understood the entire, "Scott will have to spend all his time recruiting and flying everywhere all the time" argument. As a HC you are limited on how much you can contact a prospect and you are limited to, I believe, just one in house visit. So its not Scott who will be flying everywhere to recruit but his assistant coaches.

12. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. The HC just helps close, the assistants do all the leg work.

FrostTroll and Pennsyhusker like this.
  13. jimbosc

jimbosc All-American
    Expand Collapse

Good list. Not sold on Doeren - replace with Fuente. Les Miles is too old - can't go from grandpa MR to Miles....but I get the "value" side of it. I think Miles is a much better fit in the Big 10 then SEC.

headcard likes this.
  14. Pennsyhusker

Pennsyhusker Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

And let's not exaggerate the fact that if he went to Florida he could drive to see most recruits. Recruiting is a grind that takes you away from home no matter where you are.

headcard likes this.
  15. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Here are Scott's words last year when asked if he was a candidate at Oregon:

Frost was later asked if recruiting at UCF is easier than it was at Oregon.

"Absolutely," Frost said. "I've been recruiting all week. Tuesday I got in a car and drove to a town in Florida and recruited and I was back at home that night. Last night drove to another city in Florida and I was back at home last night. I'm about to get in the car after this. That's a lot different than flying all over the country and spending a night in a different state every night. There's a ton of talent right around here. We're going to tap into it.

Here's another quote after he was hired at UCF:

It's great being in a place where those kids that want to stay close can stay here, not to mention it's a lot easier to get kids to visit our campus unofficially, there's a lot more kids here to choose from.

One of the things that drew me to the job is I knew I could run a version of our offense that was practically identical to Oregon's because we can recruit that type of player here. I don't think you could run Oregon's offense at Wisconsin; I don't know if you would get enough guys that can run well enough to do it. In Orlando, Florida, there's fast guys in high schools in every direction in close proximity that are already running systems in high school that are similar to this and should want to play in it.

175 Harry Caray, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  16. Huskercigar

Huskercigar Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Well at least they got the best part of the deal by Riley being gone.

17. YouGotSwatted!

YouGotSwatted! Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Fair enough

18. supersport24

supersport24 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Campbell is in his second year and ISU ended up losing the game 20-16. They were also underdogs. They did get down 20-0 but they fought back with a chance to win it at the end. I can bring up instances of any coach, but maybe Saban, in the country where their team has a let down. Campbell has taken a team who has less talent than about every team he has played this year and played them tough or won out right. Who are your top names for the next coach at Nebraska? I want logical names.

Bugeater and headcard like this.
  19. drg1104

drg1104 Newbie
    Expand Collapse

Sorta like that one time he chose STANFORD over NU.. :(

20. DerHusker

DerHusker Assistant Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

21. jflores

jflores Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty much throwing out the "I'd rather raise the kids in" arguments out the window.

We're not talking household income of 50K-100K and whether or not you can get into a million dollar neighborhood in Florida to get a top school.

Guy is going to make $5 million a year and his kids will experience whatever he wants them to experience.

timnsun likes this.
  22. SkerInCo

SkerInCo Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

Dude... you can't triple stamp a double stamp.

tdierberger likes this.
  23. HuskerNorm

HuskerNorm Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Meh. He can find the athletes to run his offense at Nebraska. Some of them are already here. Spielman and Lindsey are as athletic a duo of Freshman receivers as you will find anywhere in the country. Plus, isn't Frost's backup QB at UCF, who plays quite a bit, from Nebraska? Seems like he is fitting in their offense just fine.

SOHusker11 and Bruce1981 like this.
  24. Pennsyhusker

Pennsyhusker Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

The unknown in all of this might be the most important factor of all: what does his wife want? Because even if NU is Frost's dream job, as some have claimed, if his wife says there ain't no way she wants to live in bumpkinville, then they won't.

25. Bruce1981

Bruce1981 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

If people really think his dream job changed in 5 years they must think Frost is a child. His wife may say no, but she probably isn't going to. She can visit Arizona more quickly with less hassle in Nebraska than she can in Florida. Frost is a competitive guy and a football coach. When he gets the big offer, he won't have much of a personal life outside of football no matter what school. He would stay at UCF before accepting Florida over Mama.

StrongArm517 likes this.
  26. newAD

newAD Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Golden rule from Jeff Foxworthy!

Rule #1: If she ain't happy, you ain't happy. And if she aint happy long enough, you're gonna be unhappy with half your stuff.

27. Pennsyhusker

Pennsyhusker Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Ha! Exactly

28. SLOHusker

SLOHusker Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

I was in Florida a couple years ago and I couldn't believe how poor and overcrowded the state has become since I went there on spring break in the 90s. There is not a metro area there where you feel safe (I've lived in a few states and on the west coast, too). The schools are crappy unless you pony up for an elite prep school (he'd likely have the money). It just isn't a place I'd want to live if I want to raise a family in a stable environment. Just my 2 cents.

Minn1954 and SOHusker11 like this.
  29. timnsun

Expand Collapse

Here’s the thing. As I was interviewed for job placement near the end of graduate school, I was asked where I wanted to go. My wife and I both said keep us in the Midwest. When asked where we did NOT want to go, we both said keep us off the coasts.

When the job offer came from Southern California, I didn’t hesitate to take it. New opportunities sometimes brings unexpected changes.

5 years ago I didn’t like onions. Now I eat them with a lot of things. To assume that what Scott said 5 years ago absolutely must be true today is short sighted and narrow minded, in my opinion. People do change over time. We don’t know if that has happened with Scott or not, but to absolutely declare Nebraska will always be his dream job is just as wrong as saying he hates Nebraska because he was snubbed 3 years ago.

30. Bruce1981

Bruce1981 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Apples and oranges. This is Power 5 football. If I'm Frost I see what I think is my dream job opening up while my stock is rising. Florida comes calling. I can go home, to my dream job, or go to Florida where I have 2 years to beat Georgia then Bama for a conference title or I'm gone. Then if I want a national title I have to beat Georgia, FSU, Bama then 2 top 4 teams which may or may not be a rematch. Or I can go home, beat Wisconsin, Iowa win the division and build for a conference title in 4 years. This really is a no brainer. Comparing a dream job to tastes in food or some job that might pay 6 figures in ten years to college football coaching is making this a little more complicated than it really is. All Florida has on us is recruiting area. Facilities, money, fans, tradition, blue blood etc all lean our way. And we are home.

190 Bruce1981, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    StrongArm517 and timnsun like this.
  31. timnsun

Expand Collapse

I agree with you in principle, and my food analogy was definitely weak.

The point I was attempting to make is that this may not be his dream job any longer. Peoples’ dreams do change... and if he harbors a grudge against Nebraska for snubbing him 3 years ago, he may not even be open to returning. Your argument is sound, no question, but if he goes elsewhere, is it because of Moos and his incompetence? I don’t think that’s fair... depending on the circumstances.

dinglefritz and FrostTroll like this.
  32. SnohomishRed

SnohomishRed Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

A quick check of Florida's starting line up also reveals that 8 of the 22 were from out of state - Recruiting is a grind no matter where you coach

SOHusker11 and bomber89 like this.
  33. Bruce1981

Bruce1981 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

If he would say no to an actual offer because a red headed lawyer didnt even interview him 3 years ago then i wouldn't want him. There were some Husker fans calling for his hiring back then. What happened three years ago isn't an issue.

HuskerDana likes this.
  34. Redblood23

Redblood23 All-American
    Expand Collapse

I don't like anything about this post lol..

35. Mike402

Mike402 All-American
    Expand Collapse

If he goes to Florida, I hope he is wildly successful. If he is able to win a couple conference titles and get the Gators into the CFP, it'll make him one of the most recognizable and respected coaches in college football, so when he leave Florida to come to Nebraska in 5 to 7 years, it'll be the best hire Nebraska has ever made and recruits will follow him anywhere. We've been irrelevant for 15 years, so what's another half decade or so?

36. newAD

newAD Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

maplesyrup95 likes this.
  37. vs540husker

vs540husker Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

38. newAD

newAD Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

I haven’t had a chance to listen but I can imagine.

39. Phillipe

Phillipe Walk On
    Expand Collapse

People really say that?

40. timnsun

Expand Collapse

Yep... having never been there, I wanted to stay closer to home and family. I loved my time in California, but am a Midwesterner at heart. When we returned to Nebraska I was a little surprised... we enjoyed California, and expected to be there longer, but when the opportunity to return home was presented, it was a no brainer...

Hoping Frost feels the same way.