ADVERTISEMENT

From the University of Florida side:

He has stated himself Nebraska is his dream job. If he turns down this offer he will probably never get another offer again.

It was his dream job - before he got married and had a kid. That can change your perspective a lot. The wife may not want to live in Nebraska. Or he may not want to have to fly all around the country recruiting, which would limit the time he gets to spend with his family.

No, he said it one time and there are no take-backs.
not-listening-dumb-and-dumber.gif

That was 5+ Years ago when he was OC at Oregon and we still had BoP. He may have soured on us for hiring MR

So if he decided no amount of money can bring him to Nebraska how is that on our CURRENT AD/Admin?

That’s a strawman (albeit a logical one). As 99.9% of the folks here have said, he wants to be back at NU.

Doesn't the Florida job also come with pressure and scrutiny? Plus, he won't be given the patience by Florida fans that NU fans will give him. In my opinion, the NU job will come with less pressure than Florida, not more
Those without a vested interest (aka Florida and Nebraska fans) point to this as the main reason Frost SHOULD go to Nebraska. He will be given more time and leeway in Lincoln then he will get at Florida. That may not be what Frost cares about....but I think it is a very valid point.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
That’s a strawman (albeit a logical one). As 99.9% of the folks here have said, he wants to be back at NU.
LoL i want Frost here, i refuse to hold my breath that he still feels the exact same way he did in 2012. I know for me, having 3 children, I would much rather raise them in Nebraska over Florida. I cannot begin to know what he currently wants or when his wife finally delivers the baby what impact that may have, neither can you. Until Frost gives a 2017 soundbite/interview stating he wants to be at Nebraska you cannot begin to say it is the AD/Admin's fault if he doesnt come here. There is no way to argue differently.

It was his dream job - before he got married and had a kid. That can change your perspective a lot. The wife may not want to live in Nebraska. Or he may not want to have to fly all around the country recruiting, which would limit the time he gets to spend with his family.

I've never understood the entire, "Scott will have to spend all his time recruiting and flying everywhere all the time" argument. As a HC you are limited on how much you can contact a prospect and you are limited to, I believe, just one in house visit. So its not Scott who will be flying everywhere to recruit but his assistant coaches.

I've never understood the entire, "Scott will have to spend all his time recruiting and flying everywhere all the time" argument. As a HC you are limited on how much you can contact a prospect and you are limited to, I believe, just one in house visit. So its not Scott who will be flying everywhere to recruit but his assistant coaches.
Exactly. The HC just helps close, the assistants do all the leg work.

The Following Coaches would win here if any of them were hired... I pulled this from my other post in another thread, but added Les Miles

1. Gary Patterson - You offer this guy the moon
2. Chip Kelly - No buy out means good value
3. David Shaw - The reason he may listen is Stanford is having a down year
4. Kirby Smart - Doing research and think Moos should make a push. Bidding War
5. Mark Dantonio - Never would of dreamed this until looking at the numbers. Good value for a proven winner!
6. Scott Frost - Less established then the Top 5, but after the provens he is the top dog
7. Dave Doeren - We could get him cheap, and he is a solid coach
8. Matt Campbell - Would be ahead of Doeren, but his buy out is pretty steep
9. Mike Gundy - He would be higher like Patterson, but he has a large buy out and tends to choke when the stakes are high
10. Kyle Whittingham - Not sure we even take him if the 9 I listed say no we stick with Riley for another year
(Wild Card) 11. Mike Leach - See #10, but for some reason I think we should roll with it if he is hired
12. Les Miles - Has the best recruiting ties, and has no buy out

Good list. Not sold on Doeren - replace with Fuente. Les Miles is too old - can't go from grandpa MR to Miles....but I get the "value" side of it. I think Miles is a much better fit in the Big 10 then SEC.

Reactions: headcard

Here are Scott's words last year when asked if he was a candidate at Oregon:

Frost was later asked if recruiting at UCF is easier than it was at Oregon.

"Absolutely," Frost said. "I've been recruiting all week. Tuesday I got in a car and drove to a town in Florida and recruited and I was back at home that night. Last night drove to another city in Florida and I was back at home last night. I'm about to get in the car after this. That's a lot different than flying all over the country and spending a night in a different state every night. There's a ton of talent right around here. We're going to tap into it.

Here's another quote after he was hired at UCF:

It's great being in a place where those kids that want to stay close can stay here, not to mention it's a lot easier to get kids to visit our campus unofficially, there's a lot more kids here to choose from.

One of the things that drew me to the job is I knew I could run a version of our offense that was practically identical to Oregon's because we can recruit that type of player here. I don't think you could run Oregon's offense at Wisconsin; I don't know if you would get enough guys that can run well enough to do it. In Orlando, Florida, there's fast guys in high schools in every direction in close proximity that are already running systems in high school that are similar to this and should want to play in it.

Last edited:
I suspect Sharp is hearing plenty. Davison and he just spent the weekend together and Frost and Davison talk regularly. People who have wanted Riley gone and have been pissed from the start that we didn't "bring Frost home" may be very disappointed.

Well at least they got the best part of the deal by Riley being gone.

LoL i want Frost here, i refuse to hold my breath that he still feels the exact same way he did in 2012. I know for me, having 3 children, I would much rather raise them in Nebraska over Florida. I cannot begin to know what he currently wants or when his wife finally delivers the baby what impact that may have, neither can you. Until Frost gives a 2017 soundbite/interview stating he wants to be at Nebraska you cannot begin to say it is the AD/Admin's fault if he doesnt come here. There is no way to argue differently.

Fair enough

his team looks great one game then totally unprepared for West Virginia. We aren't trying to hire a 9 win coach. We're trying to hire a 9-10 win coach who wins the west division every year.
Campbell is in his second year and ISU ended up losing the game 20-16. They were also underdogs. They did get down 20-0 but they fought back with a chance to win it at the end. I can bring up instances of any coach, but maybe Saban, in the country where their team has a let down. Campbell has taken a team who has less talent than about every team he has played this year and played them tough or won out right. Who are your top names for the next coach at Nebraska? I want logical names.

I'm pretty much throwing out the "I'd rather raise the kids in" arguments out the window.

We're not talking household income of 50K-100K and whether or not you can get into a million dollar neighborhood in Florida to get a top school.

Guy is going to make $5 million a year and his kids will experience whatever he wants them to experience.

Reactions: timnsun

"Absolutely," Frost said. "I've been recruiting all week. Tuesday I got in a car and drove to a town in Florida and recruited and I was back at home that night. Last night drove to another city in Florida and I was back at home last night. I'm about to get in the car after this. That's a lot different than flying all over the country and spending a night in a different state every night. There's a ton of talent right around here. We're going to tap into it.

It's great being in a place where those kids that want to stay close can stay here, not to mention it's a lot easier to get kids to visit our campus unofficially, there's a lot more kids here to choose from.

One of the things that drew me to the job is I knew I could run a version of our offense that was practically identical to Oregon's because we can recruit that type of player here. I don't think you could run Oregon's offense at Wisconsin; I don't know if you would get enough guys that can run well enough to do it. In Orlando, Florida, there's fast guys in high schools in every direction in close proximity that are already running systems in high school that are similar to this and should want to play in it.

Meh. He can find the athletes to run his offense at Nebraska. Some of them are already here. Spielman and Lindsey are as athletic a duo of Freshman receivers as you will find anywhere in the country. Plus, isn't Frost's backup QB at UCF, who plays quite a bit, from Nebraska? Seems like he is fitting in their offense just fine.

I'm pretty much throwing out the "I'd rather raise the kids in" arguments out the window.

We're not talking household income of 50K-100K and whether or not you can get into a million dollar neighborhood in Florida to get a top school.

Guy is going to make $5 million a year and his kids will experience whatever he wants them to experience.
The unknown in all of this might be the most important factor of all: what does his wife want? Because even if NU is Frost's dream job, as some have claimed, if his wife says there ain't no way she wants to live in bumpkinville, then they won't.

If people really think his dream job changed in 5 years they must think Frost is a child. His wife may say no, but she probably isn't going to. She can visit Arizona more quickly with less hassle in Nebraska than she can in Florida. Frost is a competitive guy and a football coach. When he gets the big offer, he won't have much of a personal life outside of football no matter what school. He would stay at UCF before accepting Florida over Mama.

Reactions: StrongArm517
The unknown in all of this might be the most important factor of all: what does his wife want? Because even if NU is Frost's dream job, as some have claimed, if his wife says there ain't no way she wants to live in bumpkinville, then they won't.

Golden rule from Jeff Foxworthy!

Rule #1: If she ain't happy, you ain't happy. And if she aint happy long enough, you're gonna be unhappy with half your stuff.

They do a whole day of radio together. I could see Frost looking at the situation and there are a couple of HUGE positives for taking the Florida job. First, when they have that baby, he can literally recruit from his car or be where he needs to be in less than an hour by private jet. Home every night. Second, Florida has the ideal QB coming back for his system next year. Talent is close and easy to get. He already likely has relationships with the kids and coaches in Florida he would be recruiting. NU, not so much. WE would both take the NU job. I suspect his wife will want him to take the Florida job.
I was in Florida a couple years ago and I couldn't believe how poor and overcrowded the state has become since I went there on spring break in the 90s. There is not a metro area there where you feel safe (I've lived in a few states and on the west coast, too). The schools are crappy unless you pony up for an elite prep school (he'd likely have the money). It just isn't a place I'd want to live if I want to raise a family in a stable environment. Just my 2 cents.

If people really think his dream job changed in 5 years they must think Frost is a child. His wife may say no, but she probably isn't going to. She can visit Arizona more quickly with less hassle in Nebraska than she can in Florida. Frost is a competitive guy and a football coach. When he gets the big offer, he won't have much of a personal life outside of football no matter what school. He would stay at UCF before accepting Florida over Mama.
Here’s the thing. As I was interviewed for job placement near the end of graduate school, I was asked where I wanted to go. My wife and I both said keep us in the Midwest. When asked where we did NOT want to go, we both said keep us off the coasts.

When the job offer came from Southern California, I didn’t hesitate to take it. New opportunities sometimes brings unexpected changes.

5 years ago I didn’t like onions. Now I eat them with a lot of things. To assume that what Scott said 5 years ago absolutely must be true today is short sighted and narrow minded, in my opinion. People do change over time. We don’t know if that has happened with Scott or not, but to absolutely declare Nebraska will always be his dream job is just as wrong as saying he hates Nebraska because he was snubbed 3 years ago.

Here’s the thing. As I was interviewed for job placement near the end of graduate school, I was asked where I wanted to go. My wife and I both said keep us in the Midwest. When asked where we did NOT want to go, we both said keep us off the coasts.

When the job offer came from Southern California, I didn’t hesitate to take it. New opportunities sometimes brings unexpected changes.

5 years ago I didn’t like onions. Now I eat them with a lot of things. To assume that what Scott said 5 years ago absolutely must be true today is short sighted and narrow minded, in my opinion. People do change over time. We don’t know if that has happened with Scott or not, but to absolutely declare Nebraska will always be his dream job is just as wrong as saying he hates Nebraska because he was snubbed 3 years ago.

Apples and oranges. This is Power 5 football. If I'm Frost I see what I think is my dream job opening up while my stock is rising. Florida comes calling. I can go home, to my dream job, or go to Florida where I have 2 years to beat Georgia then Bama for a conference title or I'm gone. Then if I want a national title I have to beat Georgia, FSU, Bama then 2 top 4 teams which may or may not be a rematch. Or I can go home, beat Wisconsin, Iowa win the division and build for a conference title in 4 years. This really is a no brainer. Comparing a dream job to tastes in food or some job that might pay 6 figures in ten years to college football coaching is making this a little more complicated than it really is. All Florida has on us is recruiting area. Facilities, money, fans, tradition, blue blood etc all lean our way. And we are home.

Last edited:
Apples and oranges. This is Power 5 football. If I'm Frost I see what I think is my dream job opening up while my stock is rising. Florida comes calling. I can go home, to my dream job, or go to Florida where I have 2 years to beat Georgia then Bama for a conference title or I'm gone. Then if I want a national title I have to beat Georgia, FSU, Bama then 2 top 4 teams which may or may not be a rematch. Or I can go home, beat Wisconsin, Iowa win the division and build for a conference title in 4 years. This really is a no brainer. Comparing a dream job to tastes in food or some job that might pay 6 figures in ten years to college football coaching is making this a little more complicated than it really is. All Florida has on us is recruiting area. Facilities, money, fans, tradition, blue blood etc all lean our way. And we our home.
I agree with you in principle, and my food analogy was definitely weak.

The point I was attempting to make is that this may not be his dream job any longer. Peoples’ dreams do change... and if he harbors a grudge against Nebraska for snubbing him 3 years ago, he may not even be open to returning. Your argument is sound, no question, but if he goes elsewhere, is it because of Moos and his incompetence? I don’t think that’s fair... depending on the circumstances.

A quick check of Florida's starting line up also reveals that 8 of the 22 were from out of state - Recruiting is a grind no matter where you coach

I agree with you in principle, and my food analogy was definitely weak.

The point I was attempting to make is that this may not be his dream job any longer. Peoples’ dreams do change... and if he harbors a grudge against Nebraska for snubbing him 3 years ago, he may not even be open to returning. Your argument is sound, no question, but if he goes elsewhere, is it because of Moos and his incompetence? I don’t think that’s fair... depending on the circumstances.

If he would say no to an actual offer because a red headed lawyer didnt even interview him 3 years ago then i wouldn't want him. There were some Husker fans calling for his hiring back then. What happened three years ago isn't an issue.

Reactions: HuskerDana

I don't like anything about this post lol..

If he goes to Florida, I hope he is wildly successful. If he is able to win a couple conference titles and get the Gators into the CFP, it'll make him one of the most recognizable and respected coaches in college football, so when he leave Florida to come to Nebraska in 5 to 7 years, it'll be the best hire Nebraska has ever made and recruits will follow him anywhere. We've been irrelevant for 15 years, so what's another half decade or so?

People really say that?
Yep... having never been there, I wanted to stay closer to home and family. I loved my time in California, but am a Midwesterner at heart. When we returned to Nebraska I was a little surprised... we enjoyed California, and expected to be there longer, but when the opportunity to return home was presented, it was a no brainer...

Hoping Frost feels the same way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT