ADVERTISEMENT

Friends, Texas…

I just want consistency in criteria. But instead, people pick and choose which criteria matter just to get the teams in they want.

Florida State would be an undefeated P5 champion. Which is supposed to be highly valued by the committee. But since their qb is injured and they’re not as good…they’re out because bama is better than them? Probably true but still opinion. And by that logic, Georgia should be in because id argue they are easily a top 4 team and could win the playoff. But they won’t get in because they didn’t win their conference. It’s not consistent. And it sucks. Just put Florida state in. Accept they’ll probably get blown out. But at least maintain the integrity of the system.
The integrity of the system... now that is a joke right?

Reactions: Bugeater
Every media member all week said if Florida state won, they were in. As yesterday played out and they realized the ramifications of that assertion, they back peddled so fast and now there’s no way? Michigans offense looked like dog poop yesterday too. Should we leave them out and put in Georgia?

At the end of the day, the committee is supposed to use objective criteria. Leaving Florida state out of the playoff would mean they made that decision solely on opinion. Did we all forget bama needed a miracle to beat auburn last week? That’s the “better” team? Do the right thing. Tell the sec to go pound sand and enjoy their bowl games like every other conference has done in previous years.

they sure can. they will look at metrics and it'll show Alabama is a stronger team now than they were when texas beat them, and thus conclude the loss to texas means less.

texas fans are gonna cry foul, and they have a legit argument.oh but they gonna cry.
While I think that's likely to happen, the committee has a problem:

Texas went TO Tuscaloosa (not in Austin, not at a neutral site) and handed Alabama their ass. It wasn't on a fluke play, there wasn't some weird weather.

Texas put up more than 450 yards of offense and won by 2 scores.

That's going to be hard for the committee to ignore.

While I think that's likely to happen, the committee has a problem:

Texas went TO Tuscaloosa (not in Austin, not at a neutral site) and handed Alabama their ass. It wasn't on a fluke play, there wasn't some weird weather.

Texas put up more than 450 yards of offense and won by 2 scores.

That's going to be hard for the committee to ignore.
FSU beat a Louisville team that beat Notre Dame and has been in the top 20 most of the year. They also beat fairly good Clemson, LSU, and Duke teams convincingly. They deserve to be in. Give their freshman QB extra practice time and who knows. Ohio St won in 2014 with a 3rd string QB.
In my opinion the SEC was down this year compared to past years and Alabama did get extremely lucky against Auburn (really a blown defensive alignment since they should have have more DBs covering everything in the end zone).
In my opinion Alabama is out. They lost to Texas at home.

Reactions: moralvictories
FSU beat a Louisville team that beat Notre Dame and has been in the top 20 most of the year. They also beat fairly good Clemson, LSU, and Duke teams convincingly. They deserve to be in. Give their freshman QB extra practice time and who knows. Ohio St won in 2014 with a 3rd string QB.
In my opinion the SEC was down this year compared to past years and Alabama did get extremely lucky against Auburn (really a blown defensive alignment since they should have have more DBs covering everything in the end zone).
In my opinion Alabama is out. They lost to Texas at home.
I’ll go the other way around, I’ll say Alabama gets in and Texas is left out, simply because the beat the number one team last and Texas beat bama earlier in the season. The ole saying what have you done lately, plus it will create a instant hated rivalry. One last point espn won’t allow a big 12 team take a place for the sec

• Haha
Reactions: moralvictories
Let's be honest with ourselves, which four are the best teams right now. That's how this thing should be handled, not how teams were playing at some earlier point but how they are playing right now.

Reactions: kakdawg
Let's be honest with ourselves, which four are the best teams right now. That's how this thing should be handled, not how teams were playing at some earlier point but how they are playing right now.
“Best 4 teams” is so subjective and complete bs. Oregon was a 9.5 point favorite and “the better team” vs Washington…right up until kickoff. The results on the field have to matter and subjective “better team” is worthless. Otherwise, why play the games? Have we not learned that who we think the best teams are, aren’t always the best?

Liberty did beat NMSU twice. NMSU pounded Auburn by 21 on the road and Bama needed a miracle to beat Auburn. A 13-0 FSU should get in and will get in.
A miracle of all miracles that makes me question how great the SEC is top to bottom. It took a lot of pure stupidity by both the coaches and players of Auburn to pull that off.

Reactions: BigRedTed
“Best 4 teams” is so subjective and complete bs. Oregon was a 9.5 point favorite and “the better team” vs Washington…right up until kickoff. The results on the field have to matter and subjective “better team” is worthless. Otherwise, why play the games? Have we not learned that who we think the best teams are, aren’t always the best?
College hockey does it best with the PairWise system. Something similar should be adopted in the other sports. College hockey takes the the conference champions and then the highest remaining teams in the PairWise standings to fill out the 16-team field. Based on PairWise, those 16 teams are placed into the 1 through 4 seed lines. The committee them only assigns those teams to four regionals to best avoid rematches and don't adjust the seeding.

But, you know, $$$.

Not my words but someone who has the vote.

Will the committee choose the four best ... or most deserving? "It is best," CFP executive director Bill Hancock said Tuesday. "Most deserving is not anything in the committee's lexicon. They are to rank the best teams in order, and that's what they do. Just keep that word in mind: best teams."

Not my words but someone who has the vote.

Will the committee choose the four best ... or most deserving? "It is best," CFP executive director Bill Hancock said Tuesday. "Most deserving is not anything in the committee's lexicon. They are to rank the best teams in order, and that's what they do. Just keep that word in mind: best teams."
They can say whatever they want. But that’s not what they do or ever have done. There’s not a team that will make the playoff anyone on that committee would take in a single game neutral site matchup with Georgia on Dec 31st. And Georgia will not make the playoff. Again, I know what he said. But it’s simply not true.

Yesterday I did not think the SEC would be left out of the CFP but after sleeping in it and thinking about it, I don't see how they can be in....but if they do get in, whatever team it is, will be my pick to win it all.

Reactions: saluno22
I’ll go the other way around, I’ll say Alabama gets in and Texas is left out, simply because the beat the number one team last and Texas beat bama earlier in the season. The ole saying what have you done lately, plus it will create a instant hated rivalry. One last point espn won’t allow a big 12 team take a place for the sec
If that happens, then everyone on the playoff committee should be fired. Head to head wins count more than "what have you done lately".

they sure can. they will look at metrics and it'll show Alabama is a stronger team now than they were when texas beat them, and thus conclude the loss to texas means less.

texas fans are gonna cry foul, and they have a legit argument.oh but they gonna cry.
Nah. The SEC is getting hosed this year, and personally couldn’t be happier about it. This is gonna be the best CFP playoff yet, because of it.

GA and Bama are arguably the two most talented teams in college football and they’re gonna cancel themselves out…

Nah. The SEC is getting hosed this year, and personally couldn’t be happier about it. This is gonna be the best CFP playoff yet, because of it.

GA and Bama are arguably the two most talented teams in college football and they’re gonna cancel themselves out…
The SEC looked underwhelming compared to what it's been in the past. The best evidence for this is the success of Missouri. Missouri didn't suddenly become some juggernaut, the rest of the SEC has fallen off.

Reactions: pascal and saluno22
The SEC looked underwhelming compared to what it's been in the past. The best evidence for this is the success of Missouri. Missouri didn't suddenly become some juggernaut, the rest of the SEC has fallen off.
No, Mizzou is paying players. They have three of the top 60 valuations.

This is an example of a school comparable to our spending power that’s spending, and it’s making a difference. In the SEC. Thanks for inadvertently proving my point.

Bama and UGA are still UNDOUBTEDLY top 4-5 teams, just in terms of raw talent. Possibly the top 2. Missouri has MADE THEMSELVES competitive by BUYING ATHLETES. And they only bought a few.

Reactions: saluno22
No, Mizzou is paying players. They have three of the top 60 valuations.

This is an example of a school comparable to our spending power that’s spending, and it’s making a difference. In the SEC. Thanks for inadvertently proving my point.

Bama and UGA are still UNDOUBTEDLY top 4-5 teams, just in terms of raw talent. Possibly the top 2. Missouri has MADE THEMSELVES competitive by BUYING ATHLETES. And they only bought a few.
Which would make Florida State's win over LSU even more impressive since LSU beat a top 10 rated Missouri.

Texas is getting in over Bama. The committee can't justify Bama getting in over Texas with the head to head result.

I don't see how they can justify Bama either. Even though I THINK Bama may be the better team NOW. When they played Texas was clearly the better of the two. Not sure it's even debatable.

Holla

That's what it SHOULD be but it won't. If that's the case then why play the schedule. The losses don't matter as long as they THINK u are better.

Holla

I don't see how they can justify Bama either. Even though I THINK Bama may be the better team NOW. When they played Texas was clearly the better of the two. Not sure it's even debatable.

Holla
Exactly. It's about the whole season not "what have you done lately".

Reactions: oldjar07
Missouri was very good this year, and has one of the very best RBs in the country.

Which would make Florida State's win over LSU even more impressive since LSU beat a top 10 rated Missouri.
Underdogs will win here and there, but we’re not in the same sentence as them, other than we both sucked a few short years ago. They chose a different strategy. Wisely.

texas is about to...and its going to be glorious to watch!

of the 1 loss teams, Georgia belongs ahead of texas anyhow.

here's how the domino's are gonna fall....undefeated and conf champs, Michigan, Washington, and FSU are in. the 4th team....Texas? Georgia? or Alabama? you will never have a CFP without an SEC team....so Alabama is in.

tagging the guy who laughed at me 3 days ago when i predicted exactly this scenario.... @LonghornInOmaha
How'd that work out for you?

• Haha
Reactions: thall__
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT