ADVERTISEMENT

For the hire Frost now crew??

I want Riley to either finish out like a coach of the year or fail so bad that he has to go no matter what.

It is the in between that scares me to death. Just enough to keep the Riley lovers on board which sounds like 6-6 (yuck!). And then we head into 2018 with this crap and end up letting him go after another mediocre waste of a year and we are still in the same situation.

What changes then? Does this recruiting that everyone uses as an excuse to keep poor coaches somehow resolve itself? We don’t have a problem keeping recruits then? I really really don’t understand these excuses.

Whenever you let the guy go it is going to be a class you have to salvage.

I don't want him to completely tank, because that might damage the program for a few years. But I also don't want to see the mediocrity continue either. If we only win 6 or 7 games, this staff needs to go and we need to stop making hiring mistakes.

Yep-let's fire Mike Riley tomorrow and tell Scott Frost we want you to come in immediately and coach us this week. I'm sure he'd be on the next plane here. Screw those players at UCF he'd be leaving behind. And screw those players at Nebraska who don't know who the heck he is.I'm sure he can get his offense installed in 5 days, can't he? I mean he's practically God, isn't he?

Good to see you're proposing real life scenarios. C'mon man, stop wasting board space.

Reactions: HuskerDana
I don't want him to completely tank, because that might damage the program for a few years. But I also don't want to see the mediocrity continue either. If we only win 6 or 7 games, this staff needs to go and we need to stop making hiring mistakes.
Oh, so is it OK to want us to lose this week? Don't want us to win a big game now, do we? Let us know which games we're supposed to cheer for us to win and which we're supposed cheer for us to lose. We need to know this so we can get the word out to the fans in Memorial Stadium so they know who to cheer for. We wouldn't want a Husker fan to wrongfully cheer for the Huskers now would we? Can you imagine that. A Husker fan cheering for the Huskers to win? That would be just so awful if it wasn't the "right" situation to cheer for the team

Good to see you're proposing real life scenarios. C'mon man, stop wasting board space.
Did you even bother to read the post I responded to? It said "he should be hired immediately.". So that was perfectly OK, but my sarcastic response was "wasting board space"?

Answer my question above. Set forth the rules-when is it OK to want your team to lose, and when isn't it?

I've already stated when. If it means retaining a very ordinary coaching staff and continuing on with very ordinary results, it's OK to see a loss. And I'm not suggesting that this coaching staff (with the Diaco addition) is very ordinary. We don't really know what this coaching staff is going to be yet. They may breakout and win the West or more. I'm just suggesting that if we are sitting at 6-6 at the end of the year, I'm OK seeing a bowl loss to make sure that the program moves forward.

I've already stated when. If it means retaining a very ordinary coaching staff and continuing on with very ordinary results, it's OK to see a loss. And I'm not suggesting that this coaching staff (with the Diaco addition) is very ordinary. We don't really know what this coaching staff is going to be yet. They may breakout and win the West or more. I'm just suggesting that if we are sitting at 6-6 at the end of the year, I'm OK seeing a bowl loss to make sure that the program moves forward.
How much do you pay attention to this stuff? If he's going to be fired, he's going to be fired after the end of the regular season and an interim coach would coach in the bowl game. Just exactly like it happened with Solich and Pelini and about 90% of coach firings. There is no way you wait until a bowl game to make the decision. Explain to me how it would help move the program forward to lose a bowl game when he had already been fired?

I tagged him and he chose to ignore it. Let him turn a blind eye to what's actually stated on this very forum.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me. People are going to have differing opinions. All I need to know is what I think is a reasonable finish to the season. I we win 8, Riley should get another year. Anything less, and well thought out changes need to be made. Notice I said said well thought out. Firing someone without having a better choice agreeing to terms is not well thought out. If we end up having to make another hire at the end of the year and f**k it up again, our entire board of reagents needs to be sacked.

I haven’t read through all of the posts, so I don’t know if I’m repeating anyone else?

I think SE had made up his mind midway through Bo’s final season. He made a mistake by waiting until the end of the year make his firing official. If we’re run out of the stadium these next two games, I hope our new AD doesn’t make the same mistake.

Strongly disagree. People need to watch some film of UCF of what they looked like before Frost got there vs where they are a year and a half later. He instilled a toughness into his team from day 1.
UCF was doing fine until O’Leary phoned it in a few years back. They were not the desperate situation some are leading you to believe. They have been a top 3 team in the conference for awhile. So at this point nothing special has been done. Couple that with his inability to recruit and putting that in Lincoln is Solich/Pelini very very light 3.0. Seen that plenty of that sh*tshow to know that it is worse than what we have brewing now.

How much do you pay attention to this stuff? If he's going to be fired, he's going to be fired after the end of the regular season and an interim coach would coach in the bowl game. Just exactly like it happened with Solich and Pelini and about 90% of coach firings. There is no way you wait until a bowl game to make the decision. Explain to me how it would help move the program forward to lose a bowl game when he had already been fired?

Not necessarily. I would be hopeful that our Athletic department would have a decision made, but how many good decisions has our administration made over the last 15 years? We have made some really poor decisions with regard to our athletic department during that timeframe.

We have to give Riley until the end of the regular season. If at that point we have mediocre results, then we need to make the change. But in the meantime, we can't allow it to sneak up on us. We have to have feelers out right now. RImington doesn't have any commitment to Mike Riley. He needs to do his homework right now.

UCF was doing fine until O’Leary phoned it in a few years back. They were not the desperate situation some are leading you to believe. They have been a top 3 team in the conference for awhile. So at this point nothing special has been done. Couple that with his inability to recruit and putting that in Lincoln is Solich/Pelini very very light 3.0. Seen that plenty of that sh*tshow to know that it is worse than what we have brewing now.

LOL! I think 0-12 definitely qualifies as pretty desperate. It doesn't matter if O'Leary phoned it in or not, the program was in disarray regardless of how you slice it. Bad enough to have true freshmen starting at QB and RB.

Honestly, who gives a f**k about recruiting if you don't have the coaches to develop the talent. Again with people seeing stars. Look at Wisconsin's recruiting class right now. They've been doing that for years, and all they have to show for it is multiple conference championships and Top 10 rankings every year.

Can't imagine to doesn't matter.

RollingLaugh

Du doing Du things.

Next time try English. It makes things a whole lot more interesting for the reader.

This isn't difficult. If we finish the season in mediocre fashion again, we make the change. 2 years of mediocrity in a 3-year span isn't going to do it. We just have to make a good hire this time, which for our program hasn't been done for quite some time.

Reactions: otismotis08
Next time try English. It makes things a whole lot more interesting for the reader.

This isn't difficult. If we finish the season in mediocre fashion again, we make the change. 2 years of mediocrity in a 3-year span isn't going to do it. We just have to make a good hire this time, which for our program hasn't been done for quite some time.

Иди лети комплет, сероњо

Goal posts are moving, in typical Du fashion.

I'm concerned. Frost didn't run the ball his first year and they had a losing record. Now, Frost has learned to run the ball, and his team is ranked. However, as we've seen with Langs, coaches will often revert to what they're comfortable with even if they're more successful with a different system. I will reserve judgement until Frost shows he won't revert back to his tendency to not run the ball.

LOL! I think 0-12 definitely qualifies as pretty desperate. It doesn't matter if O'Leary phoned it in or not, the program was in disarray regardless of how you slice it. Bad enough to have true freshmen starting at QB and RB.

Honestly, who gives a f**k about recruiting if you don't have the coaches to develop the talent. Again with people seeing stars. Look at Wisconsin's recruiting class right now. They've been doing that for years, and all they have to show for it is multiple conference championships and Top 10 rankings every year.

Recruiting is the most important part of the equation and no matter how much you wish it so, is the only way out of the cycle Nebraska has been mired in. Clemson and Alabama are going to be playing again in January, because they are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else in talent. The only way Nebraska is getting there is by recruiting like that, and 5 heart walk ons are not gonna get it done, because we have seen from the Pelini years how it turns us into Minnesota with a bigger fan base.

Recruiting is the most important part of the equation and no matter how much you wish it so, is the only way out of the cycle Nebraska has been mired in. Clemson and Alabama are going to be playing again in January, because they are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else in talent. The only way Nebraska is getting there is by recruiting like that, and 5 heart walk ons are not gonna get it done, because we have seen from the Pelini years how it turns us into Minnesota with a bigger fan base.

Recruiting IS NOT, and I repeat NOT the most important part of ANY equation with regard to success in college football. It's having a great coaching staff that can develop that talent. Lincoln, NE will always be able to get good to very good talent, regardless of the coaching staff. Give me a coaching staff that can develop talent and a host of 3-Star talent all day long over 4-Star talent and a coaching staff that can't do anything with it. EVERY TIME, AND TWICE ON SUNDAYS. And if they can recruit well, even better. But it starts with the coaching staff's ability to develop talent.

You people enamored with rivals stars. Recruiting is important but it all starts with coaching. Mediocre coaches with great recruiting will still produce mediocre results. Great coaching with average recruiting will produce above average results.

Иди лети комплет, сероњо

Goal posts are moving, in typical Du fashion.

Yeah that must be it...moving goal posts. Whatever that means in this instance. Hoping Riley does well the rest of the year is a lot different than him actually doing well the rest of the year. Rimington needs to be prepared for the possible scenario where we don't do well, and be prepared to make a move.

Husker fans eat their own. We were lucky to have Devaney and Osborne back to back. And we never may return, because we really suck as people.

So Pelini's downfall was the fact that he forgot how to coach 'em up, and not his lazy recruiting and failure to build up depth. You people live in a bizzaro world. Even Mack Brown and Gene Chizik won freakin' National Championships and it wasn't cause they were masters at player development.

Well, except, it's not.

What statistic are you basing the analysuis that Solich or Pelini were worse than Riley? It certainly isn't wins and losses. Unless you are the kind of guy that watchs football for the interviews, Riley is statistically terrible.

I don't care either way about Frost, but heck at least if we hire him we won't be hiring a guy that went 2-13 in his last 15 conference games at the tail end of a championships career.

Keep going, you are hilarious

Reactions: YouGotSwatted!
So Pelini's downfall was the fact that he forgot how to coach 'em up, and not his lazy recruiting and failure to build up depth. You people live in a bizzaro world. Even Mack Brown and Gene Chizik won freakin' National Championships and it wasn't cause they were masters at player development.

Forgot to coach them up???" WTF? No, Pelini's downfall was the fact that he continued trying to play a match up zone against teams like Wisconsin that could run over his defenses without even needing to pass the ball. How many times did Wisconsin need to embarrass us for you to understand this concept?

You give Mac Brown and Bo Pelini the exact same talent, and Mac Brown beats his ass 8 out of 10 times. Wisconsin had less talent than us on paper every time Bo went up against them, and they destroyed him every time but one, and that was right after Bielema fired his OLine coach. And we barely won that game. That was the epitome of coaching over talent.

Forgot to coach them up???" WTF? No, Pelini's downfall was the fact that he continued trying to play a match up zone against teams like Wisconsin that could run over his defenses without even needing to pass the ball. How many times did Wisconsin need to embarrass us for you to understand this concept?

You give Mac Brown and Bo Pelini the exact same talent, and Mac Brown beats his ass 8 out of 10 times. Wisconsin had less talent than us on paper every time Bo went up against them, and they destroyed him every time but one, and that was right after Bielema fired his OLine coach. And we barely won that game. That was the epitome of coaching over talent.

Why you continue to believe that intangibles such as motivation, heart, etc overcomes talent is beyond me. Anecdotally it has been shown time and again to only have a minimal impact. Did you watch how Clemson just shredded a very well coached team in VT? Have you not seen how Urban tore up Saban’s team and then suddenly fell back to the pack once they lost tremendous talent on both sides of the ball? Scheme and plan are only about 20% at most, the rest is a series of 1:1 battles about talent.

Nebraska won championships 20 years ago with difference making talent and great coaching moves. Funny thing though as we had a glimpse into this, when we went a QB like Turman, if coaching trumps talent you wouldn’t have seen a difference, yet the offense was far less explosive.

It is no coincidence that the last guy had his moist success when Callahan’s best recruits were upperclassmen. We dropped off the face of the earth in talent between 2010 and 2012.

Maybe this is something you can relate to, if you are a world renowned baker and you are gonna bake a cake, you aren’t gonna be using subpar flour and lead tainted sugar, because while they don’t comprise the whole cake they are still a big part of it. An average baker with clean sugar and top of the line flour is going to do a better job than you because they have better quality starting materials.

The reality is that coaching “failures” in college football are 9:1 based on the talent and depth recruited.

Well, except, it's not.

What statistic are you basing the analysuis that Solich or Pelini were worse than Riley? It certainly isn't wins and losses. Unless you are the kind of guy that watchs football for the interviews, Riley is statistically terrible.

I don't care either way about Frost, but heck at least if we hire him we won't be hiring a guy that went 2-13 in his last 15 conference games at the tail end of a championships career.

Keep going, you are hilarious
You really are trying hard to push your incorrect numbers. And who uses 1.5 seasons for a reference?

Why you continue to believe that intangibles such as motivation, heart, etc overcomes talent is beyond me. Anecdotally it has been shown time and again to only have a minimal impact. Did you watch how Clemson just shredded a very well coached team in VT? Have you not seen how Urban tore up Saban’s team and then suddenly fell back to the pack once they lost tremendous talent on both sides of the ball? Scheme and plan are only about 20% at most, the rest is a series of 1:1 battles about talent.

Nebraska won championships 20 years ago with difference making talent and great coaching moves. Funny thing though as we had a glimpse into this, when we went a QB like Turman, if coaching trumps talent you wouldn’t have seen a difference, yet the offense was far less explosive.

It is no coincidence that the last guy had his moist success when Callahan’s best recruits were upperclassmen. We dropped off the face of the earth in talent between 2010 and 2012.

Maybe this is something you can relate to, if you are a world renowned baker and you are gonna bake a cake, you aren’t gonna be using subpar flour and lead tainted sugar, because while they don’t comprise the whole cake they are still a big part of it. An average baker with clean sugar and top of the line flour is going to do a better job than you because they have better quality starting materials.

The reality is that coaching “failures” in college football are 9:1 based on the talent and depth recruited.

Who said anything about motivation and heart? I'm talking about taking talent that comes into a program and making it much better than when it arrived by teaching better technique. A perfect example is our OLine coach. He has taken 4-Star talent, and turned it into players from the professional Patty Cake League. That is talent that a Wisconsin, Iowa, or a K-State from yesteryear would take and maul teams with. And our coaching staff has turned them into the softest 300 pounders in the nation. Remember Milt Tenopoir? That guy is a perfect example of taking less talented players and collectively turning them into road-graders.

If you think developing talent has very little importance, this conversation is over, because you couldn't be more wrong. Didn't last year's Iowa game give you any food for thought whatsoever?

Who said anything about motivation and heart? I'm talking about taking talent that comes into a program and making it much better than when it arrived by teaching better technique. A perfect example is our OLine coach. He has taken 4-Star talent, and turned it into players from the professional Patty Cake League. That is talent that a Wisconsin, Iowa, or a K-State from yesteryear would take and maul teams with. And our coaching staff has turned them into the softest 300 pounders in the nation. Remember Milt Tenopoir? That guy is a perfect example of taking less talented players and collectively turning them into road-graders.

If you think developing talent has very little importance, this conversation is over, because you couldn't be more wrong. Didn't last year's Iowa game give you any food for thought whatsoever?

Yep. Just look at Purdue this year, they supposedly have one least talented rosters in the B1G.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Yep. Just look at Purdue this year, they supposedly have one least talented rosters in the B1G.

And Jeff Brohm took that talent, and in one spring and fall camp, completely turned that program around. But nah, good coaching has no impact, and it would take us years to make progress if we changed coaching staffs. :rolleyes:

I find it so ironic how reactionary the Pro-Bo guys still are. Nebraska is 3-2 through 5 games. One game off the expected pace with very clear improvement over that time and yet people are orgasmic over UCFs coach. It shows the bias against Riley that has people wanting to run him out so soon. If those people get their way, they deeeve to see the program deteriorate further as that brings it on.

What improvement?

Around .500 against a slate of unranked teams now shows improvement?

Riley did not take over a winless program here devoid of support.

Reactions: oldjar07

Do people actually believe what they write? Wow.

And Jeff Brohm took that talent, and in one spring and fall camp, completely turned that program around. But nah, good coaching has no impact, and it would take us years to make progress if we changed coaching staffs. :rolleyes:

They're 2-2, and Michigan's D made them look silly. Let's hold the breaks on the Purdue bandwagon.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT