ADVERTISEMENT

Football thread

Tuco Salamanca

Athletic Director
Aug 18, 2016
Albuquerque
So what are the thoughts about the Spring game format?

Basically vets playing first half during a "thud" period then live in the 2nd half with the non vets. QBs live in 2nd half

I know that it isn’t possible but with the recent and rumored injuries...can all the players just wear green jerseys?

Reactions: SAUND0309
What do they hope to accomplish with this thud period? If its evaluation when the lights are on how can they be sure the info they are getting is accurate without live action? I understand they are trying to keep injuries to vets at a minimum. But if they are worried about that why not just have the vets play a couple series or non at all? Why not use the vast majority of the spring game to evaluate younger players who havent seen much live action yet? I just dont understand what anyone stands to gain from going out there and half a$$ hitting people.

Every program does something different and some just have offense against defense and score points to there discretion..

What is a thud period?

Basically hit and wrap up on ball carrier/receiver. Don’t take them to the ground.

Line play would still be live for the most part. Will be informative to see good on good in the trenches.

Reactions: WHCSC
Who plays offense versus offense? Lol I get what you’re saying.

But not tackling is different than the random scorekeeping methods used across the country

There still going to be contact on the both sides of the line.. there just not allowing bring players to the ground..

And I’ve seen where they give points to the defense for 3 and outs, turnovers and pass brake ups.. and they score the game accordingly offense gets points for first downs as well..

Reactions: TheVegvisir
The sooner the ‘vets’ turn over the better

I’ll be watching with mountains of salt

A million years ago when I played tiny college ball I saw a guy get both bones in his forearm snapped in a thud (we called it memorex) scrimmage. Worst injury I saw in all four years!

I have the same problem with the "thud" concept as I have with practicing in helmets and shoulder pads only - it promotes bad tackling technique.

The fact that it's boring is just an added bonus.

Last edited:
It sucks. Would much rather see a more game like setting.

First half will be a waste of time. 2 nd half might be a bit more intriguing.
completely agree. we need all the live reps we can get after 3 straight sluggish starts.

perhaps all the milk carton guys in the 2nd half will give us something to discuss in the 4 months leading up to opening day, which, fittingly, is looking like yet another false start.

Reactions: Chuck003
There still going to be contact on the both sides of the line.. there just not allowing bring players to the ground..

And I’ve seen where they give points to the defense for 3 and outs, turnovers and pass brake ups.. and they score the game accordingly offense gets points for first downs as well..
Again the fundamental skill of tackling is not being practiced in a live game setting for the “veterans”. That is not the same as giving points for 3 and outs.

it’s more like saying the OLine can’t block past the LOS on run plays.

Reactions: Chuck003
Does our depth still suck to the point where we cant have a live scrimmage with starters. It's year 4.

So what are the thoughts about the Spring game format?

Basically vets playing first half during a "thud" period then live in the 2nd half with the non vets. QBs live in 2nd half
Yep I thought I heard that too on radio this morning. Don't know what to think but should be a beautiful day for those attending

Well since the roster is so depleted with injuries at the moment, the remaining 121 players will now get the attention they deserve.
Winking

200.gif

so basically flag football

we're building a culture here!

A million years ago when I played tiny college ball I saw a guy get both bones in his forearm snapped in a thud (we called it memorex) scrimmage. Worst injury I saw in all four years!

We had our center lose an eye during practice back in the days of leather helmets. GBA/GBR.

completely agree. we need all the live reps we can get after 3 straight sluggish starts.

perhaps all the milk carton guys in the 2nd half will give us something to discuss in the 4 months leading up to opening day, which, fittingly, is looking like yet another false start.
This staff has taken every chance they have gotten to not have live reps.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
It seems like an odd choice at the very end of spring ball. They're done after Saturday, right? If I'm anyone but a QB I'd want it to be live tackling, and they always green jersey the QBs regardless.

I would get it more if they were having an open scrimmage with games sometime in the near future, try not to bang guys up ahead of all that. It's not like dudes can't get injured if you're not tackling to the ground. Fidone we know was a non-contact injury. Dunno about Honas.

Honestly the theory that makes the most sense was to keep their headhunting safeties from getting all hyped in front of the crowd and concussing reserve WRs when some backup hangs them up late over the middle.

Maybe take out Kickoffs and Punt Returns for safety. Just punt and it's 15 yards from where caught. If it goes out of bounds, its spotted there.

Definitely should have more than thudding. Fidone's injury was in a noncontact drill. Any word on Honas's? How many of our injuries have be the result of tackling to the ground?

Maybe take out Kickoffs and Punt Returns for safety. Just punt and it's 15 yards from where caught. If it goes out of bounds, its spotted there.

Definitely should have more than thudding. Fidone's injury was in a noncontact drill. Any word on Honas's? How many of our injuries have be the result of tackling to the ground?
we could benefit greatly from an entire Spring Game consisting of only kickoffs and kickoff coverage, sadly

Reactions: arf_man
i could be way off base but i think Frost and his upper assistants are presenting themselves as players coaches to recruits/players.
some kids do fine with that and some take advantage of it.
We all know Bill Snyder's players didn't really like him that much. I'v e heard Nick Saban isnt really loved by his players. Mangino's players hated him. I'm the last guy to consult on how to run a fb program but i get the feeling Frost and Held try to be the players friends from the time they start recruiting them. Maybe thats wise in today's world. It definitely gets them good recruits.
But I also wonder if cozying up to recruits/players presents disadvantages as well.
Lincoln Riley and Dabo are described as players coaches and they have had wild success so what do i know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT