ADVERTISEMENT

Football and Analytics

huskerdude88

Redshirt Freshman
Jan 8, 2005
Dallas, PA
Now I know Nebraska football has a lot of problems especially when it comes to fundamentals but I thought I would throw this out there as food for thought.

Analytics have been a big part of football recently and with the advent of faster internet and computer capacity we probably have more data now than we know what to do with. Nebraska probably uses some analytics when it comes to game preparation and maybe even recruiting but what do you think about Nebraska football allocating more resources to analytics? ie Hiring an entire staff that is dedicated to coding, modeling, and statistical analysis.

I envision a future where our recruiting is strictly done based on analytics. Our practices are analyzed based on analytics only and in game our OC or DC doesn't call plays. It's rather a system where down and distance as well as opposing personal on the field produces the best play. The OC and the DC are strictly there to coach the fundamentals. I think army is doing something similar. Could this give us an edge? Is this the future of college football? What do you all think?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/donyae...eate-a-fearless-business-lesson/#771b9aac6be6

Meet your new head coach...

latest

Now I know Nebraska football has a lot of problems especially when it comes to fundamentals but I thought I would throw this out there as food for thought.

Analytics have been a big part of football recently and with the advent of faster internet and computer capacity we probably have more data now than we know what to do with. Nebraska probably uses some analytics when it comes to game preparation and maybe even recruiting but what do you think about Nebraska football allocating more resources to analytics? ie Hiring an entire staff that is dedicated to coding, modeling, and statistical analysis.

I envision a future where our recruiting is strictly done based on analytics. Our practices are analyzed based on analytics only and in game our OC or DC doesn't call plays. It's rather a system where down and distance as well as opposing personal on the field produces the best play. The OC and the DC are strictly there to coach the fundamentals. I think army is doing something similar. Could this give us an edge? Is this the future of college football? What do you all think?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/donyae...eate-a-fearless-business-lesson/#771b9aac6be6
The problem with analytics is just because something can be measured doesn't mean that it should be or that it's even very useful. Analytics can help you make a decision but it shouldn't make the decision for you. Companies today I think have an over -reliance on metrics. Sure your employees may be doing well based on the metrics you choose to measure, but that doesn't mean your system or process isn't flawed in the first place.

If it's used the right way, I think data and analytics can provide a big competitive advantage. I think we should be investing heavily in it and getting out in the forefront of using data analysis to help with managing the football program. I think it could give us the same kind of advantage we had in the Osborne years such as the strength program, less scholarship restrictions, playing on TV, etc. I think it's a better investment than trying to keep up with the Joneses with football facilities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT