ADVERTISEMENT

Flu shot

I get it every year and will do so again. I've never had any adverse reaction to the shot.

Once I started getting the flu shot I avoided getting sick during the winter flu season. Before I got those shots I could always count on at least one severe cold or flu every season.

There also are reports (though unsubstantiated by official medical studies) that there may be significant side benefits like reducing the chances for contracting Alzheimer's disease later in life and building up general immunity. Some people believe a history of those shots may have even helped with Covid-19 resistance to some degree. Again nobody knows for sure. There are no formal medical studies one way or the other.

But it's voluntary so everyone can make their own choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrostedScottyOs
My SIL is a pharmacist and said that they are pretty sure they missed the mark this year, so they're scrambling to get the right one out. Doesn't really matter in Nebraska because flu season doesn't start until November anyway but apparently waiting is the thing to do.

Who’s getting the flu shot this year?
Covid or regular......both will have about the same chance of helping....several strains of Covid already identified and counting......cure as likely as “cure” for STDs.

I’ve been getting it for years and I’m 62, it’s hit and miss at times but now we are more vigilant now that the Coronavirus has opened our eyes more people will be getting them it’s best to wait till at least 10 October no later.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I didn't for the longest time. But I have been getting the flu shot for at over ten years now. I remember when I was a kid and my mother got the flu and we couldn't go on vacation. She said it just about killed her. She was a nurse and was only about 35 at the time.

Got it once, sicker than a dog. Pass ever since.
One of the worst cases of the flu I've had was after I took my first ever flu shot. Obviously the vaccine didn't match up. Well fast forward a couple of years and I hadn't been getting the vaccine and I REALLY got influenza. Turned in to full blown pneumonia and I ended up with asthma out of the deal. I've been taking flu shots ever since that and have avoided influenza since then. I've had a bout of pneumonia secondary to a different virus but man I'm a believer in flu shots now. It really is kind of foolish to not get the flu shot especially as we age.

Covid or regular......both will have about the same chance of helping....several strains of Covid already identified and counting......cure as likely as “cure” for STDs.
The different "strains" of COVID still contain the same antigens that the vaccines are being made to protect against. A vaccine won't be a "cure" for COVID, but it will keep millions of people from dying from COVID and it SHOULD help us have some fun again. Please get both vaccinations. Do it for football if nothing else. It will significantly lower the number of cases and fatalites of COVID.

The different "strains" of COVID still contain the same antigens that the vaccines are being made to protect against. A vaccine won't be a "cure" for COVID, but it will keep millions of people from dying from COVID and it SHOULD help us have some fun again. Please get both vaccinations. Do it for football if nothing else. It will significantly lower the number of cases and fatalites of COVID.
My point is we are now backing away from the billion dollar “cure” vaccine to the equivalent of a”flu shot”........in Vegas this would be called playing craps. High expectations......low results.....and so much personal and economic angst to arrive at a bullshit ending.

Millions? That seems like an exaggeration.

My SIL is a pharmacist and said that they are pretty sure they missed the mark this year, so they're scrambling to get the right one out. Doesn't really matter in Nebraska because flu season doesn't start until November anyway but apparently waiting is the thing to do.
Crap again? That's 2 out of the last 3 years

I wasn't a believer until I was told before an upcoming surgery that it was required. Outside of a sore arm once, never had any problems. I do feel it's helped since I have never gotten the flu since I started getting annual flu shot. I wait until late October before getting it. Actually first of November would be ok

Millions? That seems like an exaggeration.
Yeah you're right. Lets call it tens of thousands and not millions. I'm a little too far in to a mango margarita...:oops: I do believe a COVID vaccine will be effective and safe. IF enough people take it, it could really change things quickly.

My point is we are now backing away from the billion dollar “cure” vaccine to the equivalent of a”flu shot”........in Vegas this would be called playing craps. High expectations......low results.....and so much personal and economic angst to arrive at a bullshit ending.
I've not been in favor of stay at home orders and lockdowns. I'm for opening schools. We still need a vaccine for life to return to normal IMO. What has been done to our economy is insane, but I have too many friends with comorbidities afraid to leave their house. We need a vaccine to remove the fear from going out to dinner. Our economy is depending on it now.

Yeah you're right. Lets call it tens of thousands and not millions. I'm a little too far in to a mango margarita...:oops: I do believe a COVID vaccine will be effective and safe. IF enough people take it, it could really change things quickly.
I think it will be safe enough, relatively speaking. Effective? Kinda have my doubts on the level of effectiveness but it'll be good enough to make people feel safe enough to get back to normal. The strain running through the population now seems to have lost its virulence so it'll be hard to say what actually brought this to an end (when it happens).

Yep. We get them free at work and it is strongly encouraged. It is very costly if we have an outbreak so most people get it. Same with the Covid, outbreaks are very expensive so masks and social distancing are mandatory.

I think it will be safe enough, relatively speaking. Effective? Kinda have my doubts on the level of effectiveness but it'll be good enough to make people feel safe enough to get back to normal. The strain running through the population now seems to have lost its virulence so it'll be hard to say what actually brought this to an end (when it happens).
Don't buy the "less virulent" stuff. It's still killing the same kind of people it was killing before. How we care for patients has changed dramatically from the early days and that has helped. One large helping factor IMO is that people are consciously making an effort to get some sunlight just about every day. The virus IMO only looks less virulent because huge numbers of young people are getting tested that weren't getting tested before.

This vaccine will work. The subunit Corona virus vaccines for animals are very effective.

Don't buy the "less virulent" stuff. It's still killing the same kind of people it was killing before. How we care for patients has changed dramatically from the early days and that has helped. One large helping factor IMO is that people are consciously making an effort to get some sunlight just about every day. The virus IMO only looks less virulent because huge numbers of young people are getting tested that weren't getting tested before.

This vaccine will work. The subunit Corona virus vaccines for animals are very effective.
Well it does kind of stand to reason that it isn't as virulent as it was. Compare Italy and New York to Florida and Texas. Something has probably changed other than sunlight. Maybe people are trying to be more healthy and that explains it. Doubt it, but its possible.

I’ve gotten a flu shot for 25 years, but they recommend it with people who have compromised immune system. Yep I’m a diabetic, and no I’m not letting covid run my life. Yes I’m taking extra precautions

I've not been in favor of stay at home orders and lockdowns. I'm for opening schools. We still need a vaccine for life to return to normal IMO. What has been done to our economy is insane, but I have too many friends with comorbidities afraid to leave their house. We need a vaccine to remove the fear from going out to dinner. Our economy is depending on it now.

I have single handily supported the economy of a town the size of Kearney by my eating out. I ❤️ Restaurants.

Of course, I know people who refuse to get their kids vaccinated for HPV even though it has been proven that it will pretty much guarantee they will never get cervical cancer. I even had one mom tell me she believed it would give her kid free reign to have sex. You just can’t fix stupid.

If I happen to be by a Target and they’re paying people to get them then I will. I can always dig Gates’ chip out.

Of course, I know people who refuse to get their kids vaccinated for HPV even though it has been proven that it will pretty much guarantee they will never get cervical cancer. I even had one mom tell me she believed it would give her kid free reign to have sex. You just can’t fix stupid.

No you can’t. Thanks for proving it.

I have single handily supported the economy of a town the size of Kearney by my eating out. I ❤️ Restaurants.
Me too! We have gone out of our way to get carry out at almost every local restaurant multiple times to try to keep them going. Always give 20%+ tips to help... Encourage others to do the same...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT