ADVERTISEMENT

OT Pet peeve shot/discus

Husker.Wed.

Athletic Director
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
I don't think most sports writers know that in field events the discus, hammer and javelin are "thrown" and the shot is "put". The events are officially hammer throw, javelin throw, discus throw and shot put. So in the articles about our football recruits who also do field events they need to either say he throws the discus so many feet and puts the shot so many feet, or they need to say discus so many feet and shot so many feet. But mixing the two by saying discus so many feet and "shot put" so many feet tells me the author doesn't understand track and field terminology.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Imagine that. Go to any track meet indoor or outdoor and they really don't cover field events but all the running events have announcers for even prelims. All they do is report the results of field events. But field events win a lot of team meets

Reactions: Husker.Wed.
Imagine that. Go to any track meet indoor or outdoor and they really don't cover field events but all the running events have announcers for even prelims. All they do is report the results of field events. But field events win a lot of team meets
And field events are more exciting and require more skill.

And field events are more exciting and require more skill.
More exciting than the 100 or 4x100 relay? I think it’s tougher to be more exciting when they aren’t competing in the same moment? Rather they throw … measure … announce … next guy up.

Reactions: cruelhalo
I will offer this up...for years, the BEST sporting event I attended each year is the Kansas State High School Track meet at the monstrosity called Cessna Stadium...6 classes, non stop action, so much energy...and I'm NOT a track guy...:)

I will offer this up...for years, the BEST sporting event I attended each year is the Kansas State High School Track meet at the monstrosity called Cessna Stadium...6 classes, non stop action, so much energy...and I'm NOT a track guy...:)

tumblr_n9cx0lgatw1qzi80do1_500.gifv

tumblr_n9cx0lgatw1qzi80do2_500.gifv

• Haha
Reactions: RBigredMax
More exciting than the 100 or 4x100 relay? I think it’s tougher to be more exciting when they aren’t competing in the same moment? Rather they throw … measure … announce … next guy up.
Good call.

I don't think most sports writers know that in field events the discus, hammer and javelin are "thrown" and the shot is "put". The events are officially hammer throw, javelin throw, discus throw and shot put. So in the articles about our football recruits who also do field events they need to either say he throws the discus so many feet and puts the shot so many feet, or they need to say discus so many feet and shot so many feet. But mixing the two by saying discus so many feet and "shot put" so many feet tells me the author doesn't understand track and field terminology.
Hey OP, how's it going?

Here's another sentence using "put" I like to use to make these mothrfluckas understand.

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT