ADVERTISEMENT

Finebaum trashes Nebraska's academics

Doesn't bother me a bit. I graduated from UNL. My education there allowed me to compete with graduates from "highly accredited" universities and actually, I smoked most of them. I look at the purpose of state universities being to educate the kids of that state and in that regard UNL did me just fine. I never missed a promotion or a raise throughout my career due to not going to a "highly accredited" university. Incidently, Finebaum graduated from UT Knoxville, which is not in the AAU.

I DGAF about our academics in terms of how they are viewed by others....and the SEC has its share of athletic powerhouse factories who's academics suck to, and I DGAF about theirs either. I think college has almost become a total waste of brain matter in so many cases. I'd prefer more people go to trade schools as opposed to some la la land institution where they turn you into an idiot, and then ask me to pay for your tuition years later.

Well he seems to be wrong about FSU compared to the current BIG schools, US News has FSU in a tie with Minny for #53 in National Universities, and ahead of MSU, PSU, Indiana, Iowa, Oregon and UNL. Unfortunately, there is a wide gap between UNL at 159 and all of the other BIG schools who are in the top 100. Maybe UNL is still being downgraded for the pitiful academic record I left behind.

Is "highly accredited" worth anything in the age of DEI and wokeness if this is what you get?

Well he seems to be wrong about FSU compared to the current BIG schools, US News has FSU in a tie with Minny for #53 in National Universities, and ahead of MSU, PSU, Indiana, Iowa, Oregon and UNL. Unfortunately, there is a wide gap between UNL at 159 and all of the other BIG schools who are in the top 100. Maybe UNL is still being downgraded for the pitiful academic record I left behind.
Or are they being downgraded for not being diverse enough?

Or maybe because it's more a research university and there are so many course farmed out to TAs because the professors think it's beneath them?

Last edited:
Reactions: Spooked
us news is such a fine academic journal

Stole this joke from the Tom Brady roast but Finebaum is the kind of Jew that makes you wanna join Hamas.
Jewish jokes are nothing to laugh at......So, at dinner this Jewish teenager says to his dad, "Father, I need Three dollars for when I go to the school dance."

The father says, "Two dollars? What the hell you need a dollar for?"

Doesn't bother me a bit. I graduated from UNL. My education there allowed me to compete with graduates from "highly accredited" universities and actually, I smoked most of them. I look at the purpose of state universities being to educate the kids of that state and in that regard UNL did me just fine. I never missed a promotion or a raise throughout my career due to not going to a "highly accredited" university. Incidently, Finebaum graduated from UT Knoxville, which is not in the AAU.
and on top of that, got beaten with the ugly stick throughout his life...

Reactions: dinglefritz
Didn't we lose AAU status bc they don't value agricultural programs as much?
They don’t highly value any research that isn’t competitive and much of ag research is formula based. In addition, when the Regents split off the Medical Center, they basically doomed UNL’s research standing vs other B1G schools.. I believe virtually every other AAU institution has a med school and that's where a lot of big competitive grants are available.

I know this is unpopular, but I can't remember anyone asking about my undergrad degree. Where I did my graduate work mattered more.

Also, the field you're in matters...to a degree (pun intended).
Exactly right. A Harvard law degree has real market value but it’s mostly irrelevant whether the undergrad pre-law degree was from NU or Harvard.

Nah, he's wrong. The BIG has Northwestern and a couple other legit academic institutions. The rest are nothing more than inflated schools because of large alumni bases.....
This is pretty accurate. Now, a lot of the Big Ten schools are hard to get admitted to but unless you are going for computer science and/or engineering at Illinois or Purdue and MAYBE packaging at MSU...those matter but the rest of it doesn't.

There are about 12-15 schools where the name literally will change your life. All the Ivy's, MIT, Stanford, Cal Poly, maybe Vandy...

But, a degree from Iowa or Indiana, well, they are opening the same doors as a degree from NU.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I got my engineering degree technically through UNL but attended UNO. I retired at 56. I could really give a crap about how prestigious a school someone goes to.
I too attended UNO, but received my engineering degree through UNL. I’m proud of my degree and the work that went into getting to where I am in my career. I think only Penn State has UNL surpassed for my specific degree. 🤷🏼‍♂️

This is pretty accurate. Now, a lot of the Big Ten schools are hard to get admitted to but unless you are going for computer science and/or engineering at Illinois or Purdue and MAYBE packaging at MSU...those matter but the rest of it doesn't.

There are about 12-15 schools where the name literally will change your life. All the Ivy's, MIT, Stanford, Cal Poly, maybe Vandy...

But, a degree from Iowa or Indiana, well, they are opening the same doors as a degree from NU.
Packaging 🤣🤣🤣

It's part of supply chain/logistics but c'mon. Some does get creative. But it's basic math meets arts and crafts.

I DGAF about our academics in terms of how they are viewed by others....and the SEC has its share of athletic powerhouse factories who's academics suck to, and I DGAF about theirs either. I think college has almost become a total waste of brain matter in so many cases. I'd prefer more people go to trade schools as opposed to some la la land institution where they turn you into an idiot, and then ask me to pay for your tuition years later.
Yeah. I know several Gen Z/Millennial kids with useless degrees (e.g. anthropology) who can't find jobs and do stuff like drive Uber, Door Dash etc. and hope their student loans get forgiven. Meanwhile, I need a carpenter to do some work and it is a 4 month wait. Same for a guy who will hopefully get to repairing some window glass before winter.

They don’t highly value any research that isn’t competitive and much of ag research is formula based. In addition, when the Regents split off the Medical Center, they basically doomed UNL’s research standing vs other B1G schools.. I believe virtually every other AAU institution has a med school and that's where a lot of big competitive grants are available.
The med center split was the issue.

Yeah. I know several Gen Z/Millennial kids with useless degrees (e.g. anthropology) who can't find jobs and do stuff like drive Uber, Door Dash etc. and hope their student loans get forgiven. Meanwhile, I need a carpenter to do some work and it is a 4 month wait. Same for a guy who will hopefully get to repairing some window glass before winter.
I paid a plumber $400/hour to put in a farm frost free hydrant and I supplied the hydrant. Frickin crook. IF I had known he was going to gouge me like that I would have done it myself.

Reactions: ssmill777
I don't, maybe they were the first one to offer it?

Northwestern is starting a MBAi program, all the AI stuff is now going to be a major.
Maybe they were the first but it's because they basically feed employees to GM, Ford, and Chrysler and then you have all the suppliers and fringe businesses as well. Southeast Michigan and Northern Ohio are huge for it.

Imagine telling people you're an engineer and they're like oh yeah for what? packages 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: saluno22 and BTF69
Maybe they were the first but it's because they basically feed employees to GM, Ford, and Chrysler and then you have all the suppliers and fringe businesses as well. Southeast Michigan and Northern Ohio are huge for it.

Imagine telling people you're an engineer and they're like oh yeah for what? packages 🤣🤣🤣
Does it fall under an engineering degree? Uggggg

By the way, does every engineer HAVE to tell you how how their classes were in college? My god, shut up. All they do is dick around with Excel all day.

• Haha
Reactions: GBRforLife1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT