c3o

Graduate Assistant
Apr 24, 2018
Was camping this weekend at Land Between the Lakes KY

Dude, I loved what I saw

Iso runs with a FB
Defense flying around
Plays that were smash rather than finesse screens

I thought sims looked like a man. He looks like an all pro DE body type, had a nice zip

Active DL. #55 kept showing up and looked great as a true freshmen, nice size already, he’s a future all conf

It was nice because the game was just about some football.

Not sure about the KO. I didn’t hate it but I prefer the old way.

I’m excited about next year. Our FB Connor looks like a great runner too and loved his blocks in the gap

I see the makings of a good team, good resurgence of play calling.

The routes were rather boring but I think he wanted to see the trenches in this game.

Sims looks like he could have a fantastic year and his strength will be a difference. Simplify the plays, learn how to run the ball and this dude will have an easy 8 victories this year, maybe more.

The defense will be good. Hartzog is a bad ass, loved Butler and loved a few of the DL.

Just some positives vibes this am. Football could be fun again

Dude, I loved what I saw

Iso runs with a FB
Defense flying around

I thought sims looked like a man. He looks like an all pro DE body type, had a nice zip

Active DL. #55 kept showing up and looked great as a true freshmen, nice size already, he’s a future all conf

I’m excited about next year. Our FB Connor looks like a great runner too and loved his blocks in the gap

The routes were rather boring but I think he wanted to see the trenches in this game.

Sims looks like he could have a fantastic year and his strength will be a difference. Simplify the plays, learn how to run the ball and this dude will have an easy 8 victories this year, maybe more.

The defense will be good. Hartzog is a bad ass, loved Butler and loved a few of the DL.

Good summary. I agree. I just enjoyed the fact the trenches were a big part of the (scrimmage) game. I appreciate the fact the coaches didn't overload one team just so the offense looked flashy. IMO the coaches can get much more out.of this format compared to years past.

I was there and my initial reaction was it was a sloppy mess. But after decompressing a day and watching the film, there was a lot to like. For one thing, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind both sides of the ball were noticeably more physical. Those guys were beating the hell out of each other. Bonner at fullback put some incredible licks on linebackers. And not seen in other threads, but John Bullock at LB is an old school badass who made running back and blockers pay. Offensive playcalling was probably vanilla, but it showed me come fall we may be a lot better at clock management between huddling and running more. Not letting other teams run 80 plays and having "two or three hockey lines" will go a long way toward not having the D meltdown in the 4th Q.

I was there and my initial reaction was it was a sloppy mess. But after decompressing a day and watching the film, there was a lot to like. For one thing, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind both sides of the ball were noticeably more physical. Those guys were beating the hell out of each other. Bonner at fullback put some incredible licks on linebackers. And not seen in other threads, but John Bullock at LB is an old school badass who made running back and blockers pay. Offensive playcalling was probably vanilla, but it showed me come fall we may be a lot better at clock management between huddling and running more. Not letting other teams run 80 plays and having "two or three hockey lines" will go a long way toward not having the D meltdown in the 4th Q.
I've liked John Bullock from the first Spring Game he was in making plays all around the field. He's a guy that needs to get some PT.

Reactions: king_kong_
Someone on Reddit did a stat breakdown on Sims and Thompson. Their point was that Casey Thompson is the clear starter because of his passing ability.

I personally have no idea. Sounds like this could be another Zac Lee/Taylor Martinez debate. And we all know how that finished.

I would just like to see a QB who can help the team win a lot of games. Don't care who it is.

Dude, I loved what I saw

Iso runs with a FB
Defense flying around

Back off the cool aid man. You will drown.

Someone on Reddit did a stat breakdown on Sims and Thompson. Their point was that Casey Thompson is the clear starter because of his passing ability.

I personally have no idea. Sounds like this could be another Zac Lee/Taylor Martinez debate. And we all know how that finished.

I would just like to see a QB who can help the team win a lot of games. Don't care who it is.
Thompson's dad has stated that Casey can run the ball. Given that Whipple seemed to discourage his QBs from running, I don't think we can make much from last season. We do know that CT can get the ball where it needs to go in the passing game and will have a lot of options at WR and TE.

I saw some ok and some fashback of the previous 5 years. Gonna take more than a winter and spring before this team is winning consistently.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Dude, I loved what I saw

Iso runs with a FB
Defense flying around

Not far from my home...

Same here. I had pretty much straight on field view from the S EZ and couldn’t tell much when they were North of the 50. I watched it Sunday and felt much better after Saturday. I do like Simms a lot, but hope Casey comes back healthy and we have good QB competition for a change. I think they’ll be a lot more physical on both sides for a change too!!!

Dude, I loved what I saw

Iso runs with a FB
Defense flying around

Let's here more about the camping. Sites on the water? How's the fishing? Doubt I would ever make it down there but I've had my eye on it.

Thompson's dad has stated that Casey can run the ball. Given that Whipple seemed to discourage his QBs from running, I don't think we can make much from last season. We do know that CT can get the ball where it needs to go in the passing game and will have a lot of options at WR and TE.
His dad definitely knows a thing or two about running the ball.

I have watched a lot of temple football from 2015 and 2016 since it seems that was the style they were going for. Expect Haarberg to be put in some wildcat packages they loved doing that a few times a game on those Temple teams.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I have watched a lot of temple football from 2015 and 2016 since it seems that was the style they were going for. Expect Haarberg to be put in some wildcat packages they loved doing that a few times a game on those Temple teams.
Why would they need to run wildcat with HH if Jeff Sims is the #1 or 2 QB? Answer: they wouldn’t. Sims is as big, faster and a much better passer.

Why would they need to run wildcat with HH if Jeff Sims is the #1 or 2 QB? Answer: they wouldn’t. Sims is as big, faster and a much better passer.
Yep, Thompson or Sims, one or two. Third teamer will not play with exception to mop of duty. Some of you all just need to give it up.

I guess some emotions are attached to certain back ups. I thought Purdy looked absolutely worthless when he got reps last season. HH is a specimen but raw. He may just be terrible as well but this is most likely a battle for 3rd string. CT and his future here will really set the tone on whether he’s a starter or whether there’s a drastic drop off to our back up QB if he transfers

They did it with pj walker and he was mobile. Plus gets some reps for a 3rd string. Might have to keep him happy.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Can they get to a bowl game? My only real question and expectation. I don’t see any stars/AA type players maybe 2-3 team All conference?? Next year the expectation starts to ramp up.

Casey can definitely run if needed, I just worry that he's our best pure QB right now and his 5'11" 190lb frame can't take on too many B1G inside linebackers...
Not that it matters now, but saying “Casey can run the ball” is just pointless when you consider your comparing him to Sims.

Casey has something like 180 career rushing yards and I believe Sims has over 1100. There’s no comparison.

Not that it matters now, but saying “Casey can run the ball” is just pointless when you consider your comparing him to Sims.

Casey has something like 180 career rushing yards and I believe Sims has over 1100. There’s no comparison.
Yeah, I think you're right and the numbers showed it. I just figured being reasonably athletic his potential to run was there if in an offense that wanted him to in very small doses. Whipple seemed to tell him avoid it at all costs which was probably the right call lol I take my previous comment back and eat crow.

Reactions: tampa husker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT