ADVERTISEMENT

Farmer, conrad, Young

this is basically the same O line we had last year, what do you expect? were they world beaters a year ago, were any of them all americans, NO NO AND NO. success will come but it will take while for it. patience people.

So start working the other fellas in. I know we are thin depth-wise, but there are a few guys who could be inserted. Show the guys out there that what they are doing (or not doing) is not acceptable. I am most disappointed that we are still sticking with guys who have not improved perceptively since they took the field a year ago. Even if the guys behind them aren't physically there, it can't hardly be worse. Get some new blood in there and show these five that their positions are in jeopardy. Make them uncomfortable and make them start looking over their shoulders. We aren't winning the NC this year and probably will be out of the B10 race within a couple of weeks. So push the new guys in there. Sit someone a series if he gets a penalty or whiffs on a block. if the drive bogs down, so be it. Most of our drives have anyway. I am just absolutely tired of year after year of watching the same inept offensive linemen trot out there series after series without any move to hold any one of them accountable for that.

So start working the other fellas in. I know we are thin depth-wise, but there are a few guys who could be inserted. Show the guys out there that what they are doing (or not doing) is not acceptable. I am most disappointed that we are still sticking with guys who have not improved perceptively since they took the field a year ago. Even if the guys behind them aren't physically there, it can't hardly be worse. Get some new blood in there and show these five that their positions are in jeopardy. Make them uncomfortable and make them start looking over their shoulders. We aren't winning the NC this year and probably will be out of the B10 race within a couple of weeks. So push the new guys in there. Sit someone a series if he gets a penalty or whiffs on a block. if the drive bogs down, so be it. Most of our drives have anyway. I am just absolutely tired of year after year of watching the same inept offensive linemen trot out there series after series without any move to hold any one of them accountable for that.
From what I've heard, our second team O-line is much worse than our first team Oline. I think Frost's plan coming in was not to really make our Oline dominant right away, but to cover up their weaknesses with scheming. With Martinez playing quarterback, he's able to do that. With Bunch he's not.

Reactions: headcard
Ive been a farmer fan but he got benched in the 4th and deserved it.
Conrad just isnt good enough.
And diedrek young was the sole reason troy scored their last td. The qb draw on 3rd down was his fault and the td was his being out of position after the motion.
Honas made a bad play on the first td but played well after that.

Those three players, imo, played the worst today. We win with better interior line and LB play. You shouldnt need martinez to beat troy.

Honas missed his assignment/gap on that play, but I was impressed otherwise - he looked natural and athletic out there, like a playmaker someday

Interior line will take a couple of years of recruiting and S&C. Frost likes to do the Malzahn style things of pulling the guards a lot and our guys really aren't that active and athletic right now

Reactions: gw2kpro
Young has been below average his entire career. The same goes for Farmer, Conrad, and Mick, who should see the bench pretty soon.

This. Unless the upperclassmen are clearly better. I want to see young players the rest of the year.

Ive been a farmer fan but he got benched in the 4th and deserved it.
Conrad just isnt good enough.
And diedrek young was the sole reason troy scored their last td. The qb draw on 3rd down was his fault and the td was his being out of position after the motion.
Honas made a bad play on the first td but played well after that.

Those three players, imo, played the worst today. We win with better interior line and LB play. You shouldnt need martinez to beat troy.

To be honest, when I watched it, my reaction was the DY blew it too. But you and I were wrong. we had a safety coming on the last TD and his responsibility is the dive back on that play. Antonio Reed is the one that messed up on the play. Rewatch and look at Reed in no man's land. He's supposed to force the decision and account for the RB. Scott Frost said the safety had dive responsibility on that play in his press conference. It's easy to talk about responsibilities and how they look on TV, but if you don't know the call, then you don't know who was responsible for which players and gaps.

Dedrick Young fought over top because that was what he was supposed to do - we would have been out-leveraged to the field.

Honas graded out pretty poorly per PFF.

Reactions: Yossarian23
This. Unless the upperclassmen are clearly better. I want to see young players the rest of the year.

Honas missed his assignment/gap on that play, but I was impressed otherwise - he looked natural and athletic out there, like a playmaker someday

Interior line will take a couple of years of recruiting and S&C. Frost likes to do the Malzahn style things of pulling the guards a lot and our guys really aren't that active and athletic right now

Young didn't mess that play up, neither did Honas. Reed did.

I dont think the coaches are going to publicly call out players individually for their mistakes. Stuff like that happens in the film room and practice. Not in the media.

Awareness yes i agree but athletically he can.

Barry and honas should start next week.

I'm not sure if the ILB positions are interchangeable. I know when Mo was booted Honas came in. So I'm assuming those two play the same position while Miller backs up Young. I'm suprised we didn't see more of Miller. I think Honas was just ok myself nothing special. I think we really missed Mo .

I'd love to see Miller get more reps because I think we have seen the ceiling with Young and while physically u can see he's in good shape and a good athlete he as no feel or instinct for the position. Good guy, good teammate, good athlete, just an average LB I think.

Holla

Reactions: huskerfan1414

Now I wasn't blown away by Honas but I do agree with your term "natural". Plus I think he did improve as the game went on. I wasn't overly impressed BUT I do think he will get better given a chance. I think Young has reached his ceiling at this point.

Holla

I would love to see movement from our interior linemen in terms of pulling, getting on the edge, etc. I am tired of pattycake style of zone blocking that we saw both with the last three coaches.

I would love to see movement from our interior linemen in terms of pulling, getting on the edge, etc. I am tired of pattycake style of zone blocking that we saw both with the last three coaches.

In due time blocking like that will appear but we’re not going to see an end to zone blocking in this offense.

I've been known to miss the point sometimes, and it looks like that is true here. I have no idea what you're referring to.

Referring to cut block on 3-steps/quick game. Once you cut a competent DL, it is hard to cut them again, as they will be be looking for/ thinking about it.... plus side, making them think about a cut helps slow down pass rush

If you cut block too much, it becomes ineffective.
Are we cut blocking too much? I may have missed a part of the conversation.

I played DE in college, and we played a team that year in, year out used cut blocking very aggressively in their scheme. They were the best group of 5 in the league at it too, and it was frustrating as hell. I don't know that it's as simple as, "do it too much, it becomes ineffective." I think if you're going to do it a lot, your proficiency has to be higher. If I know it's coming, there is a better chance I defeat it. but we didn't face a lot of cut blocking from other run-heavy teams, and that made prepping for USD a pain in the ass.

Referring to cut block on 3-steps/quick game. Once you cut a competent DL, it is hard to cut them again, as they will be be looking for/ thinking about it.... plus side, making them think about a cut helps slow down pass rush

Gotcha. Missed the part about the 3-step drop. Yes, you're right it sure as heck does slow the pass rush. Thought we were discussing in the run game, which doesn't apply now that I recall the clip was a 3-step drop.

Talk to me about this: Troy ran a line game on the play where we attempted the cut. What's the proper way to cut a line game like that when the timing of the 3-step behind you matters?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT