ADVERTISEMENT

Fant Announcing Now on 1620

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kirk has a hotter seat at the moment, but lets remember that Riley is two years older than Kirk, and has a losing record in 3 of the last 5 years. For how poorly Kirk's last 5 seasons have gone, he won more games than Riley.

Nebraska was unhappy with Pelini winning 9 games a year, I wonder how they'll react if Riley posts a 5 win season or two.

Sorry Dingle...New York times disagrees. Didn't read how they got their data. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-fan-map.html?_r=0
NY Times? F the NY Times. I live it. Lots of Husker fans in extreme SE South Dakota but they fade out pretty quickly once you get out of the reach of 1110 which is hwy 46. Don't get me wrong, I know NU fandom spreads far and wide. MY POINT is that to assume that SFalls is part of the "Husker Kingdom" is a faulty assumption. Its much more diverse than that.

NY Times? F the NY Times. I live it. Lots of Husker fans in extreme SE South Dakota but they fade out pretty quickly once you get out of the reach of 1110 which is hwy 46. Don't get me wrong, I know NU fandom spreads far and wide. MY POINT is that to assume that SFalls is part of the "Husker Kingdom" is a faulty assumption. Its much more diverse than that.

Social media is a heck of a lot more reliable than a dude on a message board that didn't even know his hometown carried Husker football games on FM radio.

NY "f'ing" Times > dinglefritz

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
Kirk has a hotter seat at the moment, but lets remember that Riley is two years older than Kirk, and has a losing record in 3 of the last 5 years. For how poorly Kirk's last 5 seasons have gone, he won more games than Riley.

Nebraska was unhappy with Pelini winning 9 games a year, I wonder how they'll react if Riley posts a 5 win season or two.
Riley's record at Oregon State is completely irrelevant to his job status here.

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
HTO that map of eastern South Dakota looks pretty PINK doesn't it. NOT RED, PINK and they call it based on Nebraska versus the 3 other shrimps on their own. What IF they added ISU, IOWA and MINNESOTA together and gave them a color? MY POINT was that in fact the total fan base of all those other schools likely exceeds that of NU's in SFalls and as far as one puny local FM station versus all the TV and AM coverage Iowas gets it isn't even close. Granted some of that radio coverage is coming in from western Iowa radio stations but I've been forced on multiple occassions to listen to Iowa football games because I couldn't get a Husker broadcast. Chew on that.:)

Last edited:
Social media is a heck of a lot more reliable than a dude on a message board that didn't even know his hometown carried Husker football games on FM radio.

NY "f'ing" Times > dinglefritz
Sioux Falls is NOT my home town. There you go again. Making false assumptions. Hey I can see why people get in to pissing matches with you. Its kind of fun.Laughing I don't get why you're so offended by a simple observation from somebody that lives in the area, watches the TV stations and talks to the residents.

HTO that map of eastern South Dakota looks pretty PINK doesn't it. NOT RED, PINK and they call it based on Nebraska versus the 3 other shrimps on their own. What IF they added ISU, IOWA and MINNESOTA together and gave them a color? MY POINT was that in fact the total fan base of all those other schools likely exceeds that of NU's in SFalls and as far as one puny local FM station versus all the TV and AM coverage Iowas gets it isn't even close. Granted some of that radio coverage is coming in from western Iowa radio stations but I've been forced on multiple occassions to listen to Iowa football games because I couldn't get a Husker broadcast. Chew on that.:)

Pink > the colors are of the irrelevant programs. Your point blows, no matter how many times you repeat it, it still blows.

Sioux Falls is NOT my home town. There you go again. Making false assumptions. Hey I can see why people get in to pissing matches with you. Its kind of fun.Laughing I don't get why you're so offended by a simple observation from somebody that lives in the area, watches the TV stations and talks to the residents.

Hometown , currently live, big freaking deal, point stays the same and has nothing to do with a false assumption. I'm not offended, I can't stand idiotic comments about stuff and you made idiotic comments then dug yourself a bigger hole.

NY "f'ing" Times should contact you next time :eek:

Pink > the colors are of the irrelevant programs. Your point blows, no matter how many times you repeat it, it still blows.

Hometown , currently live, big freaking deal, point stays the same and has nothing to do with a false assumption. I'm not offended, I can't stand idiotic comments about stuff and you made idiotic comments then dug yourself a bigger hole.

NY "f'ing" Times should contact you next time :eek:
I'm not sure how they arrived at their "fandom" rating. As a SINGLE fan base I could buy that S Falls proper has more Husker than Iowa. But in total, the local TV affiliates and radio shows give WAY more coverage to Iowa, Iowa State and to a lesser extent Minnesota. Bottomline though is that SDSU and USD get more S Falls media attention than the Huskers do.

if you made an anti-callahan comment, you were automatically pro solich. if you made an anti bo comment, you were automatically pro callahan. Good to see that tradition is alive and well.

Good pick for him. Great med school and a history of great TE development and targets. Basically every TE they have had over the last 20 years played in the NFL to some degree.

I'm not sure how they arrived at their "fandom" rating. As a SINGLE fan base I could buy that S Falls proper has more Husker than Iowa. But in total, the local TV affiliates and radio shows give WAY more coverage to Iowa, Iowa State and to a lesser extent Minnesota. Bottomline though is that SDSU and USD get more S Falls media attention than the Huskers do.

Listen man, it's real simple...

You said, "There isn't much Husker football presence in Sioux Falls and most of South Dakota." That's 150% false.

You said, "You could get game broadcasts in SE South Dakota but 1110 is sketchy north of Sioux City. I think 590 is better." There's a local Sioux Falls affiliate that carried, at least up to 2014, Nebraska football games. You had no idea about that.

The record is straight, carry on.

Like I already pointed out, the amount of coverage Sioux Falls media gives to Iowa, ISU and Minnesota has to do with the fact there are parts of those states in their local coverage area. That coverage is mainly for the benefit of the people in those states, not for the people in Sioux Falls or South Dakota. Hence, that says nothing about how much support there is for those programs vis-a-vis Nebraska in Sioux Falls or South Dakota. Just like when Omaha media covers Iowa or ISU, it is mainly for the benefit of their viewers in western Iowa, not for the viewers in Omaha.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
Listen man, it's real simple...

You said, "There isn't much Husker football presence in Sioux Falls and most of South Dakota." That's 150% false.

You said, "You could get game broadcasts in SE South Dakota but 1110 is sketchy north of Sioux City. I think 590 is better." There's a local Sioux Falls affiliate that carried, at least up to 2014, Nebraska football games. You had no idea about that.

The record is straight, carry on.
Your PERCEIVED record is straight. One puny local FM station that barely reaches the city limits of Sioux Falls is not much of a presence. I can't get that station 20 miles from SFalls. Whether you like it or not, the gear in Scheels is as much Hawkeye and Cyclone as it is Husker. Money talks and bullshit walks. South central South Dakota gets some encroachment of radio from Nebraska but other than that you can't get a Husker game on the radio (evidently other than the lcoal FM station you found). Trust me I've been out deer hunting or traveling listening to static just trying to catch a score. Meanwhile Iowa, ISU and Minnesota football can be heard over most of eastern South Dakota.

Pretty thinned skinned group, eh?
Not really. HTO is a very knowledgeable and passionate Husker fan. He made some good points that I respect but I feel compelled from personal experience to defend my point of view. Its all good and all fun. I'm home sick today and it gives me a distraction to pass the day.

My memory of Souix Falls is the Fiskers gas station where we would stop to refuel on the way to my parents cabin in Minnesota.. they had this box in the mens room, i never knew what it was for, but saved a quarter one time to put in there to find out. I was about 7, and didn't know what condoms were or what they were for. I was kinda pissed, cause I was expecting candy or something cool. I had no use for that rubber balloon with feelers on it. Plenty of Huskers fans as I remember, but this would have been a long time ago. Maybe things have changed.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
Your PERCEIVED record is straight. One puny local FM station that barely reaches the city limits of Sioux Falls is not much of a presence. I can't get that station 20 miles from SFalls. Whether you like it or not, the gear in Scheels is as much Hawkeye and Cyclone as it is Husker. Money talks and bullshit walks. South central South Dakota gets some encroachment of radio from Nebraska but other than that you can't get a Husker game on the radio (evidently other than the lcoal FM station you found). Trust me I've been out deer hunting or traveling listening to static just trying to catch a score. Meanwhile Iowa, ISU and Minnesota football can be heard over most of eastern South Dakota.

My real life experiences, plus data available with a simple search, trump what you have to say.

We were, I think, just northeast (10 miles or so) of Sioux Falls last fall at some ball field in a town that wasn't even incorporated. There was a restaurant right next to the field and they had a patio outside to watch the ball games, field was old school right off the street/highway/whatever. That "puny local FM station" had the Nebraska football game on and there was no issue getting reception, it was clear as day. Not only were we listening to the game, a few parents from the other team were listening to it as well. Plus, the young umpire would come back to us every half inning or so and ask for an update.

Trust you? Laughing Yeah, I'm going to trust a guy that didn't even know what station Nebraska football was carried on, in the city he lives in.

tumblr_ln9iftr5351qigcmyo1_500.gif

A couple things....

1. I am not here to get into a pissing match, but if some of you didn't care like you say you don't then this thread wouldn't be three pages and probably longer.

2. This is a solid commit for the Iowa program, but I take commitments at this time of year with a grain of salt. I've seen too many kids commit to/from Iowa later in the season as most programs have. So until he signs in Feb, then I do not hold my breath.

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
My real life experiences, plus data available with a simple search, trump what you have to say.

We were, I think, just northeast (10 miles or so) of Sioux Falls last fall at some ball field in a town that wasn't even incorporated. There was a restaurant right next to the field and they had a patio outside to watch the ball games, field was old school right off the street/highway/whatever. That "puny local FM station" had the Nebraska football game on and there was no issue getting reception, it was clear as day. Not only were we listening to the game, a few parents from the other team were listening to it as well. Plus, the young umpire would come back to us every half inning or so and ask for an update.

Trust you? Laughing Yeah, I'm going to trust a guy that didn't even know what station Nebraska football was carried on, in the city he lives in.
Once again, I don't live IN or really that near S Falls. I'm there frequently for business and entertainment. Obviously the station you listened to was in northern Sioux Falls because you lose it at about the Tea exit south of town. A couple of years ago we were at a girls bball tournament in SCity and the only people paying any attention to our radio were the ones from our team. That was in Sioux City that gets all kinds of radio from Nebraska. That was the Kellogg miracle game if I remember correctly.

The ability to receive Iowa, ISU or Minnesota broadcasts in eastern South Dakota have to do with broadcasts originating in those states. None of those 3 even have affiliates in South Dakota. As of last season, there were 4 stations in South Dakota(Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Winner and Yankton) that carried Husker games. The whole question here was about the level of support in Sioux Falls and South Dakota for the Huskers vs. other programs. You are using information that is completely irrelevant to the discussion. The ability to receive Iowa, ISU and Minnesota broadcasts in South Dakota that originate in the states where those teams are located says absolutely nothing about the support for those teams in South Dakota. The fact there are 4 Husker radio affiliates in South Dakota and none for those other 3 schools is relevant.

The ability to receive Iowa, ISU or Minnesota broadcasts in eastern South Dakota have to do with broadcasts originating in those states. None of those 3 even have affiliates in South Dakota. As of last season, there were 4 stations in South Dakota(Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Winner and Yankton) that carried Husker games. The whole question here was about the level of support in Sioux Falls and South Dakota for the Huskers vs. other programs. You are using information that is completely irrelevant to the discussion. The ability to receive Iowa, ISU and Minnesota broadcasts in South Dakota that originate in the states where those teams are located says absolutely nothing about the support for those teams in South Dakota. The fact there are 4 Husker radio affiliates in South Dakota and none for those other 3 schools is relevant.[/QUOTE
1. Don't travel much to Rapid and Husker football isn't a big deal west river. Even if it was there's like 20 people out there. I HAVE BEEN DEER HUNTING 10 MILES FROM WINNER FOR 10 YEARS AND NOT ABLE TO GET THE WINNER STATION. Granted I didn't draw tags last year and maybe its a new station. The Yankton station loses signal 15 miles out of town. Unfortunately the blow torch WNAX out of Yankton is tied to SDSU or we could blast all the way in to North Dakota.

Last edited:
1. Don't travel much to Rapid and Husker football isn't a big deal west river. Even if it was there's like 20 people out there. I HAVE BEEN DEER HUNTING 10 MILES FROM WINNER FOR 10 YEARS AND NOT ABLE TO GET THE WINNER STATION. Granted I didn't draw tags last year and maybe its a new station. The Yankton station loses signal 15 miles out of town.
Regardless of how far you can get the stations, they still are Husker football affiliates. Those stations wouldn't carry the games if there wasn't interest. There is not one station in South Dakota that carries games for those other teams.

Once again, I don't live IN or really that near S Falls. I'm there frequently for business and entertainment. Obviously the station you listened to was in northern Sioux Falls because you lose it at about the Tea exit south of town..

My gosh dude...

We didn't lose the station at any point, in Sioux Falls, to the ball field and/or on our return to the hotel after our games were done. I don't know how much clearer I have to be.

A couple things....

1. I am not here to get into a pissing match, but if some of you didn't care like you say you don't then this thread wouldn't be three pages and probably longer.

2. This is a solid commit for the Iowa program, but I take commitments at this time of year with a grain of salt. I've seen too many kids commit to/from Iowa later in the season as most programs have. So until he signs in Feb, then I do not hold my breath.

1. This thread has 20+ posts from Io_a tards and another 20+ from Husker tards arguing about radio stations, fan bases in Sioux Falls. That's about a full page worth...

2. He's a solid commit for any program, good athlete. He wants to play TE, and that's the position Io_a has recruited him from day one. He's not a can't miss prospect for Nebraska though, there's plenty of bigger fish in the water...

Iowa, Nebraska, and Minnesota have pretty decent sized fan bases in Sioux Falls. I would estimate Minnesota's fan base to be less than both Iowa or Nebraska - which I consider to be roughly equal.

Iowa has had better success in recent history recruiting SE South Dakota. Ferentz and staff have recruited this area the most of any of the three schools. Chad Greenway (Mount Vernon, Vikings) and Riley Reiff (Parkston, Lions) helped drive some of the Iowa football coverage in the local press. Matt Vandeberg (Brandon) will start at WR this year. On the other hand, Nate Gerry (Sioux Falls) starts at Safety for the Huskers. I can't think of any SE SD athletes playing for Minnesota in recent history.

The next big prize is OT Matt Farniok. I think Nebraska has the inside edge over Iowa because Gerry is an alum of Washington HS and Farniok appears to have developed close ties with both Gerry and fellow '16 OL commit Raridon. Should be interesting but I'll be surprised if he doesn't choose Nebraska.

If so, we certainly won't keep him around and continue to give him raises like Iowa does for Ferentz!

Iowa gave Ferentz a raise after 4 top 8 finishes in 8 years and a BCS Orange Bowl win. The contract they gave him was ridiculous, but don't act like they've rewarded him for the last 4 years.

Reactions: ichawk24
Keyuo Craver was a running back in high school. NU offered him a scholarship as a CB. He wanted to stay being a running back, but he opted to become a CB and take the NU scholarship offer.

Noah Fant wants to be a TE. NU is offering him a scholarship as a DE. He wants to stay a TE, so he is opting to stay a TE and take the Iowa scholarship offer (tentative).

This isn't rocket science.

Keyuo Craver was a running back in high school. NU offered him a scholarship as a CB. He wanted to stay being a running back, but he opted to become a CB and take the NU scholarship offer.

Noah Fant wants to be a TE. NU is offering him a scholarship as a DE. He wants to stay a TE, so he is opting to stay a TE and take the Iowa scholarship offer (tentative).

This isn't rocket science.
Actually, UN told him this summer that he could be a TE.

Why are so many working so hard to down play this as a "kid we didn't want anyway"? Sure, it hurts bad to lose a good recruit. Even more when it's in the back yard, but the lengths some are going to on this are pretty sad.

Let's just be honest about it. Fant wanted to be a Hawkeye worse than he wanted to be a Corn Husker. Let it go

Reactions: fanhawk19
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT