ADVERTISEMENT

Fant Announcing Now on 1620

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commits to Iowa. Said they showed him the most attention. Said he would re-evaluate after the year if he gets more offers.

Good luck to him. Figured it was Iowa or NU. Wonder what the thoughts are knowing Ferentz could be gone during his career. Early at that.

I'm taking a couple things out of this:

1) He wants to play TE. So any school not wanting him at TE is probably at a disadvantage. He wants to be an NFL TE.
2) The door is not closed. His comments on them being the school that showed the most love and keeping his options open suggest that he's not over being courted just yet.

LOL Sharp just hit him with a question about how hard it is to "commit to the school and not the coach" as in, you know Kirk is about to get fired, right?

If Fant ends up at Iowa...highly unlikely Ferentz will be his HC all 4-5 years.
Highly likely you don't know what you're talking about. Nobody knows the fate of KF, including you. Barta doesn't know what flavor of Starbucks he's getting this afternoon.

This comes as no surprise. Hasn`t been back at Nebraska in quite some time.

Highly likely you don't know what you're talking about. Nobody knows the fate of KF, including you. Barta doesn't know what flavor of Starbucks he's getting this afternoon.

It really doesn't take a genius to figure it out....Iowa is having major trouble selling tickets as it is. When the mediocrity continues? Good luck. The administration will have to make a move just to keep people interested. Maybe Barta is dumb enough to keep him around while he continues to win 7-8 games?

It really doesn't take a genius to figure it out....Iowa is having major trouble selling tickets as it is. When the mediocrity continues? Good luck. The administration will have to make a move just to keep people interested. Maybe Barta is dumb enough to keep him around while he continues to win 7-8 games?
You could already say the same thing about Riley. What happens with two years of 8 wins or less? Typical time table is three years. I'd say both coaches are about even regarding their job security at each place.

Problem is, Riley has never really won anywhere. That is the difference. I guess it's just a wait and see how this season plays out.

Reactions: fanhawk19
so many from the previous thread that wouldn't or couldn't believe a kid could commit to another school on local media..

You could already say the same thing about Riley. What happens with two years of 8 wins or less? Typical time table is three years. I'd say both coaches are about even regarding their job security at each place.

Problem is, Riley has never really won anywhere. That is the difference. I guess it's just a wait and see how this season plays out.

You are delusional. Riley will be given the time to recruit and build. He will be here 5+ years unless he pulls a Callahan or leaves NU. Ferentz on the other hand? Quite a bit of speculation he is gone after this year. The crappy schedule may save him...but it won't the following year. Ticket sales down...boring team...7 wins= walking papers.

Last edited:
You are delusional. Riley will be given the time to recruit and build. He will be hear 5+ years unless he pulls a Callahan or leaves NU. Ferentz on the other hand? Quite a bit of speculation he is gone after this year. The crappy schedule may save him...but it won't the following year. Ticket sales down...boring team...7 wins= walking papers.
We didn't want Fant anyway remember.Iowa has another announcement coming in about an hour .Hope we didn't want the next one too

You are delusional. Riley will be given the time to recruit and build. He will be hear 5+ years unless he pulls a Callahan .

And your delusional if you believe that Riley was brought in to NU to rebuild and then compete in 4 to 5 years. He was brought in to win and compete day 1. All of his grace period was used during Bo's days of coaching and when MR was getting beat by Washington State and California. Nu football can not afford any seasons with less than 8 wins. Nu football can not afford to be out recruited for the top 2 in state kids. NU can not afford to go 35th in recruiting. Oh but I am sure his recruiting will defy the laws of logic, mainly the way they did @ Oregon State. And I am sure Ben Stille is the only kid worth recruiting in the state this year...

Reactions: fanhawk19
I'm taking a couple things out of this:

1) He wants to play TE. So any school not wanting him at TE is probably at a disadvantage. He wants to be an NFL TE.
2) The door is not closed. His comments on them being the school that showed the most love and keeping his options open suggest that he's not over being courted just yet.

LOL Sharp just hit him with a question about how hard it is to "commit to the school and not the coach" as in, you know Kirk is about to get fired, right?
No, I take that much more about Riley being new and not likely at UN long

And your delusional if you believe that Riley was brought in to NU to rebuild and then compete in 4 to 5 years. He was brought in to win and compete day 1. All of his grace period was used during Bo's days of coaching and when MR was getting beat by Washington State and California. Nu football can not afford any seasons with less than 8 wins. Nu football can not afford to be out recruited for the top 2 in state kids. NU can not afford to go 35th in recruiting. Oh but I am sure his recruiting will defy the laws of logic, mainly the way they did @ Oregon State. And I am sure Ben Stille is the only kid worth recruiting in the state this year...

Where did I say any different? And you are delusional if you think we have enough talent to start winning titles day 1. Sorry we don't..and its going to take a few recruiting classes to recruit the type of talent Riley wants in his system.

Reactions: huskersamb
By the way Damon, you can come here and discuss it too. No reason to only post with Mr. Hunter who is doing the best he can to do damage to your alma-mater where you busted your ass playing. We could break down how even Callahan did better in local recruiting than Bo did, or is that too honest? Riley has not got 2 local kids, and yes he needs to do better. I never thought I would see the day when a former player that played for a legend would seemingly show so much animosity toward fans that want to simply give the new staff a chance.
IF for whatever reason Riley told him the truth that he didn't think he had the hands or whatever to be a tight end then that is on Fant. I would rather have our coaches be honest with a kid and tell him up front where they want him. IF the kid has the nuts to come anyway and prove him wrong great. IF he wants to go somewhere that will only tell him what he wants to hear and then ends up playing him on D anyway, so be it. I would love to have him but I'm not going to sweat losing him. I figured all along that he would go elsewhere. Obviously the west coast schools weren't in hot pursuit of him as a TE either. Seeing some of the Omaha kids passed over by Bo go to Iowa and have success certainly didn't help us with him.

Last edited:
We didn't want Fant anyway remember.Iowa has another announcement coming in about an hour .Hope we didn't want the next one too
We wanted Fant, we just wouldn't promise him he was going to be a TE. He got an honest evaluation and opinion from several former NFL coaches and decided to commit to the school that told him what he wanted to hear. Good luck to him every game but one.

Reactions: huskersamb
I never thought I would see the day when a former player that played for a legend would seemingly show so much animosity toward fans that want to simply give the new staff a chance.

If you believe something isn't right, you stand up right away. You don't wait until its to late. The saying goes "rats are the first to leave a sinking ship". Well smart people don't even board a ship that will sink. I swear some of you are so freaking desperate to get back to having a good team, that you live with rose colored glasses on 24/7.

Iowa sucks ass. They are the right fielder of the B1G and nobody outside of their state gives a shit about them, and even people inside their own state care less every year.

If you believe something isn't right, you stand up right away. You don't wait until its to late. The saying goes "rats are the first to leave a sinking ship". Well smart people don't even board a ship that will sink. I swear some of you are so freaking desperate to get back to having a good team, that you live with rose colored glasses on 24/7.

Do smart people know the difference between your and you're?

I really don't think it's rose colored glasses to say Ferentz seat is hotter than Riley's right now. I would say that is just common sense.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
Where did I say any different? And you are delusional if you think we have enough talent to start winning titles day 1. Sorry we don't..and its going to take a few recruiting classes to recruit the type of talent Riley wants in his system.
Iowa has a tremendous track record with kids from Nebraska and nobody will deny that.

So yes, he is a highly touted recruit for Iowa.

No, I take that much more about Riley being new and not likely at UN long
The thing you need to understand is Riley and Ferentz are very much alike ,low key nice guys neither can overcome the evil axis (OSU,Mich,Mich S, PSU and Wis ) year in and year out. Reality is not often pretty.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
We wanted Fant, we just wouldn't promise him he was going to be a TE. He got an honest evaluation and opinion from several former NFL coaches and decided to commit to the school that told him what he wanted to hear. Good luck to him every game but one.
You think Ferentz tells kids what they want to hear? Particularly a skill position or TE? That has never been his M.O. ever

Pretty sure Iowa knows TE's. It is a focal point of their offensive scheme.

Nearly every senior starter I KF program has ended up drafted or in a NFL camp. Their TE success speaks for itself. I am guessing that is the reason he committed.

Wish the young man well, the undergraduate program there is very good. He sounds like he wanted a place holding spot and Iowa gave it to him. 50-50 he actually ends up there.

Next.

Tell yourself whatever you have to. I am a Husker fan. It is disgusting that some people that make the same claim are celebrating and trying to damage the program because a coach that was an asshole got fired.

Reactions: 94husker
The thing you need to understand is Riley and Ferentz are very much alike ,low key nice guys neither can overcome the evil axis (OSU,Mich,Mich S, PSU and Wis ) year in and year out. Reality is not often pretty.

No, the thing you need to understand is, Ferentz has shown he can't overcome the "evil axis", Riley will get his chance.

You think Ferentz tells kids what they want to hear? Particularly a skill position or TE? That has never been his M.O. ever

You missed his point, it's obvious Io_a recruited him solely for TE, that's not something Nebraska did.

Regardless, he's a real good athlete.

Is Farniok committing to Iowa today as well? Lots of smoke surrounding this.
Who knows but remember last year one brother was a four year center at ISU and another started at Oklahoma . That family has produced a lot of D-1 linemen and they have all taken a different path. There is yet a younger Farniok brother in HS who said to be the best of them all. Iowa has already offered this kid.

Last edited:
No, the thing you need to understand is, Ferentz has shown he can't overcome the "evil axis", Riley will get his chance.

You missed his point, it's obvious Io_a recruited him solely for TE, that's not something Nebraska did.

Regardless, he's a real good athlete.
No. He said specifically that:

Iowa told him what he wanted to hear. Nebraska "probably "told him he didn't have the hands.

Wrong! He won 2 Grey Cups with Winnipeg in the CFL, he has the most wins of any coach at Oregon St. and with his record there that tells you how dismal that program has been historically. I would say he has won some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT