ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp Update: Day 3

jeans15

Head Coach
Feb 23, 2011
No media was allowed at last night's practice.

Should have more information available for tonight's practice.

Pre-practice notes:

- Ryne Reeves is as healthy as he can be and ready to compete for the center spot.

- Drew Brown is in a kicking battle with Sutcliffe. Sutcliffe states he can hit one from 65 yards out.

-Today's message for the team, "Take care of each other and let's have fun out there."

Last edited:
More notes and quotes,

— Bray said he likes all three guys in that spot. Newby is the best in a physical role against the run, Young can play either side of the formation and has the best size to match up and they like Gifford’s ability in coverage compared with the other two. Gifford moved to linebacker from safety in the spring.

- Freshman safety Aaron Williams name keeps coming up. Though he's working with the No. 2 defense right now, he appears to be angling for a starting job, and when Nebraska puts on full pads, he could work with that top unit while Byerson Cockrell fully recovers from shoulder surgery.

- Banker said the Cougars were one of the fastest tempo offenses in the country last season, getting snaps off as quickly as 7-11 seconds into the play clock at times. They are already preparing for their tempo.

- One of the biggest differences between fall camp this year and last year is how much longer the days are this fall, safety Kieron Williamssaid. He said players are basically at the facility from 9:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. between workouts, meetings, walk throughs til the end of practice

- Freshman running back Jordan Stevenson stayed around well after practice was over to take some one-on-one coaching with running backs coach Reggie Davis

— Michael Rose-Ivey is exactly one year out from his knee injury. Rose-Ivey said he is ahead of where he thought he would be a year out from the injury.

- The Blackshirts will definitely be handed out before the first game.

-

— Michael Rose-Ivey is exactly one year out from his knee injury. Rose-Ivey said he is ahead of where he thought he would be a year out from the injury.

- The Blackshirts will definitely be handed out before the first game.

-

Thanks for taking the time to share this information with us. Great job!

Reactions: jeans15
Boyd Epley tidbits per Shatel,

-Now, flash forward to a couple of years ago, at a Husker golf fundraiser in Castle Rock, Colorado. New Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst invited Epley and former volleyball coach Terry Pettit to join the event.

“Shawn treated us like kings, like legends,” Epley said. “During that event, he asked me if I would ever be available to consult. I said, sure, whatever you need.”

Eichorst had hired Steve Waterfield as an associate A.D. in charge of strength and conditioning, among other things. Waterfield contacted Epley about bulking up the new research and performance lab. Epley recommended some folks to hire, then added, “If you can’t get them, I’ll come do it for you.”

- Now he’s in a different world, with a small army that answers to him, and working in a different trench, the performance lab in East Stadium. He’s still testing, all athletes now.

And still working and pushing the envelope with his old friend and colleague, Mike Arthur, who has the department stressing the use of the squat exercise. Epley calls it “the king of all exercises for increasing muscle and strength and power.”

There’s one key difference this time around, and Epley’s extremely proud of it: Philipp reports to Epley, not head football coach Mike Riley.

Epley isn’t planning to micromanage. But he told Eichorst he wouldn’t come back unless the strength coach reported to the assistant A.D. for S&C. It’s the same reason Epley spent the last seven years getting the NCAA to pass a rule requiring all strength and conditioning coaches be certified.

“There are too many deaths in college football, and they aren’t related to the field,” Epley said. “It’s in training. The strength coaches need to be certified. And not be tied to the football coach. A coach might want to punish his players in the offseason, and the strength coach has to be able to say what’s right.”

Cont'

-An eagle-eyed assistant football coach named Tom Osborne recognized that the injured football players were coming back to the practice field stronger and in better shape. He asked them why. They told him about the pole vaulter who had helped them with weights.

Seriously, this story belongs on a wall somewhere in the Suh Strength Center.

So one day a guy pokes his head into the walk-in closet weight room and tells Epley he’s got a phone call. It’s Osborne. He wants to see Epley now.

“I thought for sure I was in trouble,” Epley said.

“I went to his office and he and Cletus Fischer were there. They were impressed that I had helped the football players. They were wondering if I could help the whole team.

“I said, ‘Coach, I can help you, but you don’t have enough equipment. We can only get six to 15 people in there at one time.’ Tom said, ‘We can remove that wall. Tell us what you need.’ ”

Look at him, already working on expanding facilities.

Thanks so much for the info. A general comment would be, the incoming linebackers came from quality programs and should have excellent tackling fundamentals. The new coaches should improve this as needed, and its said there are extra tackling drills. I think the worry about young lb's is understandable; but the D farce things have probably been mostly eliminated under the new staff.... Bando was a machine against So Cal; I assume Coach Barney and others let him loose. This new D probably plays to those strengths; coaches will adjust here to our strengths; instead of allowing track meets - even pro players get beat on occasion; but we are going to be a much better team, with kids allowed to play too their talent. GBR. These updates seem to reinforce such a proactive force; glad to hear we will have Blackshirts; kids will compete even harder to get and keep them - rather than guess at what whim gives it.

I wouldnt put too much on a small sample size of one game against USC. LB's have a natural ability like few other athletes. There is so much going on in front and behind them, angles, people coming at them from all directions, flow but dont overflow, pass and run responsibilities, etc. Certainly the fundamentals of tackeling need to be much better as a team and then playing under control. I would not have wanted to be a LB in the former D with two high safeties most of the time and the center of the field left wide open, talk about pressure? A lot was asked of that group that I dont think they were always physically anle to do. It starts with athletes with great instincts and discipline.

Good stuff Jeans. We must have something special in Aaron Williams. For a frosh to come in and compete for a starting job at that spot is impressive.

Banker on Blackshirts,

-“It would be great if everybody was on the first team. Theoretically, the Blackshirt name belongs to everybody on the defense and at some point and time there will be Blackshirts awarded to those guys that deserve it, that are the front line guys, and it doesn’t end there,” Banker said. “Anybody who continues to work hard and enter that group and at some point and time (could earn one).”

Interesting statement by Banker. Getting more excited about the season the more I see and read.

Say Kevin Williams if his health holds; his heart always will, just sayin !!! He is on first rotation on the field with the first team; as per here and the paper, the second teams move to their own space. Also per DPE, one player doesn't win it, the team does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT