ADVERTISEMENT

Englehaupt offered?

Kid is a beast. I've been hoping he would get an offer. Kid has great size and cut put on the weight, can play TE/DE/OLB. I personally like him more than Stille. Just a heck of a football player.

Interesting thought experiment. Assuming those "Nebraska values" kick in, he might shun us for Wyoming. Leaving Craig Bohl in a bind the day before NSD after being committed this whole time, doesn't seem very kosher if you understand the word committment.

On the other hand, the kid hit the lottery, screw Craig Bohl. ;)

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Interesting thought experiment. Assuming those "Nebraska values" kick in, he might shun us for Wyoming. Leaving Craig Bohl in a bind the day before NSD after being committed this whole time, doesn't seem very kosher if you understand the word committment.

On the other hand, the kid hit the lottery, screw Craig Bohl. ;)

We shall see about the values. I know all is fair in love, war, and recruiting.. but a little bit of a dick move towards one of your own Tommie O disciples

We shall see about the values. I know all is fair in love, war, and recruiting.. but a little bit of a dick move towards one of your own Tommie O disciples
Whatever. If schools didn't go after players simply because a former player or coach had received an oral from said player, that would affect a ton of schools.

Besides, he is a Nebraska kid. Maybe it has been a lifelong dream to play for the huskers... So are we supposed to say, "you better honor that commitment you made to coach Bohl. He is a Nebraska guy after all."

Yeah, that sounds silly to me too.

I think it's both fair for us to be a little pissed and fair for you to say "whatever". It is what it is, hope he makes the right decision for himself.

Last edited:
Whatever. If schools didn't go after players simply because a former player or coach had received an oral from said player, that would affect a ton of schools.

Besides, he is a Nebraska kid. Maybe it has been a lifelong dream to play for the huskers... So are we supposed to say, "you better honor that commitment you made to coach Bohl. He is a Nebraska guy after all."

Yeah, that sounds silly to me too.

It doesn't sound so silly to the folks complaining about Dez. ;)

Reactions: timnsun
I think it's both fair for us to be a little pissed and fair for you to say "whatever". It is what it is, hope he makes the right decision for himself.
I agree, you do have the right to be a little pissed... But be pissed at Louisville. If they don't take Fitzpatrick from us we don't go to plan B.

But calling it a dick move is a little bit strong as well.

Hopefully, next year we won't be doing these last minute, desperation moves. But it looks like we filled a lot of needs and perhaps most importantly reupped the contracts of two of our best assistants.

If he wants to stick with Wyoming-fine, I don't blame him. I understand it's hard to get somebody to change their mind at the last minute. But if he does decide to flip to Nebraska, you have to understand he is from Nebraska and you really don't have anything to offer to counter the pull of a Nebraska kid playing for the Huskers. Who your coach is should not be a factor at all.

Hopefully, next year we won't be doing these last minute, desperation moves. But it looks like we filled a lot of needs and perhaps most importantly reupped the contracts of two of our best assistants.
True. This staff seems to be scrambling quite a bit.

If he wants to stick with Wyoming-fine, I don't blame him. I understand it's hard to get somebody to change their mind at the last minute. But if he does decide to flip to Nebraska, you have to understand he is from Nebraska and you really don't have anything to offer to counter the pull of a Nebraska kid playing for the Huskers. Who your coach is should not be a factor at all.
This exactly.

That what happens when a player gives you his word then renigs at the last minute.

It's also what happens when the staff is targeting top talent. At this point I'm really glad we're in the mix with some of these guys. And given enough opportunities with top talent, we'll start landing some a few. We're never going to compete at a high level without top talent, so I for one am glad the coaches are going after talented kids. It may take a few cycles, but it's only a matter of time...

That what happens when a player gives you his word then renigs at the last minute.
Very true...but that is recruiting and Riley and his staff have been around a long time so they know how it goes and it seems clear they have some solid back up plans in mind.

Last minute offers to in-state kids aren't always a bad sign. I recall Osborne offered Shane Swanson basically at the last minute, and he turned out pretty good. And that was back when there were more than 85 scholarships on a team and the coaches didn't have to be as particular.

Last minute offers to in-state kids aren't always a bad sign. I recall Osborne offered Shane Swanson basically at the last minute, and he turned out pretty good. And that was back when there were more than 85 scholarships on a team and the coaches didn't have to be as particular.

Good example

Fans are pretty much pansy's, we want nothing to go wrong when on average a fair bit doesn't go smoothly. Rashard Gray or whatever his name is, is still looking around despite being committed. Its the name of the game.

A smile and a handshake mean nothing anymore. We could do worse than have the attention of Bisharat and offer Engelhaupt and maybe drag in Lipscomb or whoever Williams has up his sleeve as last minute moves.

Reactions: Yossarian23
This is a fantastic offer. Kid has all the physical and intangible tools we need in a football player. I really hope he commits but wont blame him one bit for sticking with Wyoming. He really should have been offered in September and many on this board were calling for him 30-days ago. but Mike likes it risky and now he is left in a bad spot where he may not fill up the class.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Very true...but that is recruiting and Riley and his staff have been around a long time so they know how it goes and it seems clear they have some solid back up plans in mind.
I disagree with this - Riley and staff have been around a long time but they have not tried to recruit at the big boy table before.

This is normal but I think they were a bit naïve and trusting with their silent commits.

Now as plan B we have the 4th rated TE in Nebraska after the other three TE's went out of state

Huh?

There's one questionable offer, if that's what people call in, on the table, and that's it. Compare that to Glenn Irons, AJ Bush, Deandre Willis, Dimarya Mixon, so on and so on. Or, compare it to Antonio Reed and Alex Davis...
So they are intentionally undersigning? And offering other recruits to replace those we thought were locks?

Falling 6-7 recruits short of our allotment is unacceptable if the talent gap is as great as we have been led to believe. If our talent level and depth is so bad and the coaching staff was aware of this, then missing out on signing a full class is unacceptable.

Bout time! My gut says he stays committed to the cowboys. I said a month ago Riley missed the boat on this one. Happy for the young lad however to finally get a offer.

So they are intentionally undersigning? And offering other recruits to replace those we thought were locks?

Falling 6-7 recruits short of our allotment is unacceptable if the talent gap is as great as we have been led to believe. If our talent level and depth is so bad and the coaching staff was aware of this, then missing out on signing a full class is unacceptable.

Intentionally undersigning /= scrambling to sign people. That's talking out of both ends. The lock that didn't come through is Fitz, one guy.

We're not 6-7 recruits short of our allotment. Technically, there's 20 spots open, the B1G allows +3 to take it to 23. We're at 19 (see P.S., takes us to 20) with the remaining targets of Lamar Jackson, Beau Bisharat and David Engelhaupt. That also doesn't include any walk-on that's been put on scholarship (assuming Weber).

I will never understand why people like you try to even discuss recruiting.

P.S.
Also forgetting coach Williams' son who will count against our scholarship limit so we have 3 spots open as of this post.

It's also what happens when the staff is targeting top talent. At this point I'm really glad we're in the mix with some of these guys. And given enough opportunities with top talent, we'll start landing some a few. We're never going to compete at a high level without top talent, so I for one am glad the coaches are going after talented kids. It may take a few cycles, but it's only a matter of time...

I lose track of all of the in-state talent that goes away and develops into standout talent. I would like to see at least a couple more of these kids at Nebraska. Still wondering how on one hand, coaches praised the wrestling ability of several Huskers and then let 6'5" 290 Matt Clark (87-0 heavyweight) go to SDSU where some say he's already an NFL tackle prospect because of his footwork, size and leverage.

How are they under signing? LJ comes on board, and everyone sticks that puts us at 85, Weber getting the schollie he deserves is 86, englehaupt and the kid from Cali if they come N are 88---at B1G rules.

17 was always going to be a bigger class than 16.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Intentionally undersigning /= scrambling to sign people. That's talking out of both ends. The lock that didn't come through is Fitz, one guy.

We're not 6-7 recruits short of our allotment. Technically, there's 20 spots open, the B1G allows +3 to take it to 23. We're at 19 (see P.S., takes us to 20) with the remaining targets of Lamar Jackson, Beau Bisharat and David Engelhaupt. That also doesn't include any walk-on that's been put on scholarship (assuming Weber).

I will never understand why people like you try to even discuss recruiting.

P.S.
Also forgetting coach Williams' son who will count against our scholarship limit so we have 3 spots open as of this post.

Are POB and Derrion Grim counting against last year's allotment? Not wanting to start a fight, just curious.

I lose track of all of the in-state talent that goes away and develops into standout talent. I would like to see at least a couple more of these kids at Nebraska. Still wondering how on one hand, coaches praised the wrestling ability of several Huskers and then let 6'5" 290 Matt Clark (87-0 heavyweight) go to SDSU where some say he's already an NFL tackle prospect because of his footwork, size and leverage.
Because Bo thought Clark would walk on and he didn't recruit him. Terrible decision.

How are they under signing? LJ comes on board, and everyone sticks that puts us at 85, Weber getting the schollie he deserves is 86, englehaupt and the kid from Cali if they come N are 88---at B1G rules.

17 was always going to be a bigger class than 16.
So any upcoming attrition doesn't really help them on the limit? Their max is 23 because of the scholarship situation as it stands on signing day?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT