ADVERTISEMENT

Elite talent+mental toughness in cold weather

Jhollenbeck41

Graduate Assistant
Nov 29, 2018
I’d like to take a minute on this playoff football Sunday night to help everyone understand what that Chiefs game really should have meant to everyone in Husker Nation. In its most basic form, that game was the sum of confident, elite talent, that all shared the characteristic of mental toughness. Including the weather and excluding major injuries, the Chiefs probably faced about as much adversity as they could have in a 60 minute football game. And they never batted an eye and stayed confident and kept battling.

While quite a few people on here will bash some of the coaching of Nebraska Football, those same things could literally be said about the Chiefs in the 1st quarter. But you know what, through the dropped passes, Texan touchdowns, and bad weather, Chiefs kept plugging along and kept playing and stayed with the game plan. And that’s what happens. Another important thing to point out is the Chiefs run what you could call a spread offense made for pro football....in the cold....and put over 50 points

Point being, Nebraska will be back. The spread will work here, even in the bad weather, we will win, and everything will be okay.

Sometimes it’s good to see other teams in a non biased perspective

I’m a Tennessee Titans fan. And I badly wanted Houston to win today

I’d like to take a minute on this playoff football Sunday night to help everyone understand what that Chiefs game really should have meant to everyone in Husker Nation. In its most basic form, that game was the sum of confident, elite talent, that all shared the characteristic of mental toughness. Including the weather and excluding major injuries, the Chiefs probably faced about as much adversity as they could have in a 60 minute football game. And they never batted an eye and stayed confident and kept battling.

While quite a few people on here will bash some of the coaching of Nebraska Football, those same things could literally be said about the Chiefs in the 1st quarter. But you know what, through the dropped passes, Texan touchdowns, and bad weather, Chiefs kept plugging along and kept playing and stayed with the game plan. And that’s what happens. Another important thing to point out is the Chiefs run what you could call a spread offense made for pro football....in the cold....and put over 50 points

Point being, Nebraska will be back. The spread will work here, even in the bad weather, we will win, and everything will be okay.

Theres still fans committed to passing won't work in the cold and wind and snow.
By making yourself one dimensional,you're inviting a defensive solution no matter how good you are.

Maybe its because some of us are having problems connecting the Chiefs victory with the future of Nebraska football.

hell thats easy to see. He put it right out there in his thread what his point was and how he was connecting the two teams. It’s the spread offense being ran in cold weather and still being able to work. And come on Charlie, you see the posts, just like I do, saying our offense won’t work in the cold and won’t work in the BIG 10. That we need to run a difference offense to be successful in Nebraska. Maybe dudes got an odd way of making his point but he makes his point pretty clear.

hell thats easy to see. He put it right out there in his thread what his point was and how he was connecting the two teams. It’s the spread offense being ran in cold weather and still being able to work. And come on Charlie, you see the posts, just like I do, saying our offense won’t work in the cold and won’t work in the BIG 10. That we need to run a difference offense to be successful in Nebraska. Maybe dudes got an odd way of making his point but he makes his point pretty clear.
Yea he's/your right, SF is right, the chiefs are right, hell, ol whats his name is right up in green bay.
The old vikings at the met were always wanting to get teams there to play in late fall, playoffs in winter even better, and they weren't a power running team.
The spread offers a shorter passing game to make it work even better. Last I checked, its three yards and a cloud of dust, not snow.

He said "Point being, Nebraska will be back. The spread will work here, even in the bad weather, we will win, and everything will be okay"

Why? Because the Chefs executed at a high level today? Yes, any offense can work if you run it well. But that it can happen somewhere doesn't guarantee that it will happen here. I'm not at all a gloom-and-doomer. But there is no correlation between these two that I can see.

Reactions: bshirt73
He said "Point being, Nebraska will be back. The spread will work here, even in the bad weather, we will win, and everything will be okay"

Why? Because the Chefs executed at a high level today? Yes, any offense can work if you run it well. But that it can happen somewhere doesn't guarantee that it will happen here. I'm not at all a gloom-and-doomer. But there is no correlation between these two that I can see.
I'm pretty certain some coach gave up running a split pass to run game and even said so somewheres.

Gee that’s great, but who are the chefs?

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie Marlow

i fell you buddy.

“Point being, Nebraska will be back. The spread will work here, even in the bad weather, we will win, and everything will be okay.”

There’s his quote...Again his point was saying if you watched the Chiefs offense work in the freezing cold, then it can work here. Sure the Chiefs winning has nothing to do with the Huskers being back at some point and winning again...but his main point was our offense can work in the cold and seeing it work for teams like the Chiefs only proves it.

It's a matter of semantics. They show that it COULD work. He's saying that it proves that it WILL work. I hope so, but it's no guarantee.

Elite talent in high school can choose. NFL players get drafted,

Could have fooled me that we would look like the Chiefs..

I didn’t see any swing passes to the sideline over and over from Mahomes all day..

Reactions: nu2u and Catch50
It's a matter of semantics. They show that it COULD work. He's saying that it proves that it WILL work. I hope so, but it's no guarantee.
Nothing in life is a guarantee. Point is the spread works when it's cold and snowy if you have the talent. You win tough games when your guys refuse to lose instead of bend over when shit gets hard. It's all connected if you're willing to look past the surface like most couch coaches and arm chair QBs don't do.

Of course the spread can work in poor weather - Ohio state makes it work.

the question remains whether or not this staff will make it work at Nebraska.

If your point is that Nebraska WILL be back - the chiefs winning does nothing to prove or disprove that point - it is completely unrelated and frankly that multi paragraph diatribe somehow trying to tie a chiefs victory into proof that Nebraska will be back is an example of the delusions people will can come up with to somehow come up with contrived facts that somehow validate their hopes

believe it or not I too hope Frost owns the conference in the future I just rely more heavily on my perception that the current staff has underachieved even with given the talent pool that have - and hope in the future that the talent can be maximized.

Last edited:
Of course the spread can work in poor weather - Ohio state makes it work.

the question remains whether or not this staff will make it work at Nebraska.

If your point is that Nebraska WILL be back - the chiefs winning does nothing to prove or disprove that point - it is completely unrelated and frankly that multi paragraph diatribe somehow trying to tie a chiefs victory into proof that Nebraska will be back is an example of the delusions people will can come up with to somehow come up with contrived facts that somehow validate their hopes

believe it or not I too hope Frost owns the conference in the future I just rely more heavily on my perception that the current staff has underachieved even with given the talent pool that have - and hope in the future that the talent can be maximized.
Not sure if you need to go back and re-read it for probably a 4th time as I assume you've read it about 3 times due to your negative comments, but I actually did tie that together. It actually was a well thought out post as I knew there would be some people who try to dissect it negatively because they simply didn't get it. And that's fine, I'll help you. With it being pretty public knowledge, more often than not, our offense is going to be the reason we win football games as is the reason Frost was hired. To score a shit ton of points and win football games with that fire power. Well, as it's gotten colder the last 2 years late in the season, there have been people that strongly doubt the offense will work in the cold weather, and probably rightfully so being what it is and how it's setup. Well, what my point was, and I used to Chiefs to illustrate it PERFECTLY, was that the spread offense works just fine when you have the talent needed to run it at a high level. Yes, also Ohio State, EVERY YEAR. So, again, when we get the talent here that is needed, and it's developed, and knows what it's doing, we will be fine and it will work. Second point being that when your team is filled with guys who are mentally tough and refuse to lose no matter what, your team pulls through in a shitty, adverse situations.

The Chiefs game.

Not sure if you need to go back and re-read it for probably a 4th time as I assume you've read it about 3 times due to your negative comments, but I actually did tie that together. It actually was a well thought out post as I knew there would be some people who try to dissect it negatively because they simply didn't get it. And that's fine, I'll help you. With it being pretty public knowledge, more often than not, our offense is going to be the reason we win football games as is the reason Frost was hired. To score a shit ton of points and win football games with that fire power. Well, as it's gotten colder the last 2 years late in the season, there have been people that strongly doubt the offense will work in the cold weather, and probably rightfully so being what it is and how it's setup. Well, what my point was, and I used to Chiefs to illustrate it PERFECTLY, was that the spread offense works just fine when you have the talent needed to run it at a high level. Yes, also Ohio State, EVERY YEAR. So, again, when we get the talent here that is needed, and it's developed, and knows what it's doing, we will be fine and it will work. Second point being that when your team is filled with guys who are mentally tough and refuse to lose no matter what, your team pulls through in a shitty, adverse situations.

The Chiefs game.

All that stuff proves a spread type offense can work in poor weather - it does nothing to prove that Frost and company can make it work at Nebraska to the point that “Nebraska is back” whatever that means - if Nebraska doesn’t make it “back” it isn’t because of the schemes

Last edited:
All that stuff proves a spread type offense can work in poor weather - it does nothing to prove that Frost and company can make it work at Nebraska to the point that “Nebraska is back” whatever that means - if Nebraska doesn’t make it “back” it isn’t because of the schemes
You know what it means, quit being difficult. "Being back" only means one thing

You know what it means, quit being difficult. "Being back" only means one thing

no I don't know what it means .. it used to mean regular top 10 finishes, conf championships and occasionally controlling your own destiny at the end of the season for a NC.

I have stated before that I suspect "being back" will morph into being good enough given the "circumstances" which is why I think Frost will be our Kirk Ferentz with maybe Frost winning a conf championship at some point
(and I'm not sure that is a bad thing - but it certainly isn't the standard that almost everyone here stated when Frost was hired)

So, Nebraska has to beat nfl teams to make the spread work in the Big in cold weather?

Or, getting open is getting open, quick blinking and getting the ball there on time, good rbs who can hop into seams. Against Big teams that also have to play in the cold and snow.
I still remember playing and understanding when coaches would say, when its wet or slippery, the offense always has the advantage because the defense has to react, the offensive player already knows where he's going.

no I don't know what it means .. it used to mean regular top 10 finishes, conf championships and occasionally controlling your own destiny at the end of the season for a NC.

I have stated before that I suspect "being back" will morph into being good enough given the "circumstances" which is why I think Frost will be our Kirk Ferentz with maybe Frost winning a conf championship at some point
(and I'm not sure that is a bad thing - but it certainly isn't the standard that almost everyone here stated when Frost was hired)
Your top paragraph is correct. And anyone who says that their standards have changed is lying to themselves and we all know what we want back. People have become soft in today's society and don't wanna speak their minds. So that's fine, I'll say what everyone is thinking. Being "back" means another national title.

Your top paragraph is correct. And anyone who says that their standards have changed is lying to themselves and we all know what we want back. People have become soft in today's society and don't wanna speak their minds. So that's fine, I'll say what everyone is thinking. Being "back" means another national title.

how long are you giving Frost to achieve this?
what is your timeline for milestones achieved along the way to being "back"

No disrespect, but being consistently ranked in the top 10-15 and playing in the CCG, which means winning the division more than not means being back...
Just having to win a National Title is asking a lot more than what you think doesn’t have to signify that we are back... consistency will show that we are back...

how long are you giving Frost to achieve this?
what is your timeline for milestones achieved along the way to being "back"
Well to be quite honest, I thought we'd win the west within the first 3 years. That can obviously still happen so I'll just give you my original time line. Given what the circumstances are now, my timeline has changed but not by much, so I'll give you my original timeline 2 years ago. By the way, ultimate goal no matter what is a national championship.

West title within the first 3 years
Big Ten Championship 4-6 years
Big Ten Championship appearances/winning/bounce around in NY6, flirting with the national stage 7-9 years
after 9-10 years "we back"

But I want you to be able to fully understand this. While I'm old enough to have lived through the 90s, I don't remember any of it. That's why I'm willing to give it longer than I'd say probably 75% of this willing to give it. I want to re-live it as closely as I can. And I also believe there isn't any other coach besides Frost who can do it the way that makes all of us happy, "The Nebraska Way". So before you bash me for that time line and things like "that's not how college football works anymore", I don't care. Try to see it from my perspective before you start bashing because you don't agree with something.

No disrespect, but being consistently ranked in the top 10-15 and playing in the CCG, which means winning the division more than not means being back...
Just having to win a National Title is asking a lot more than what you think doesn’t have to signify that we are back... consistency will show that we are back...
No disrespect, I just don't agree, and that's fine.

The real question is this: can Nebraska's defense work in any type of weather.

A key fact omitted by OP: Texans gave up 51 points. Bad defense.

Last edited:
The real question is this: can Nebraska's defense work in any type of weather.

A key fact omitted by OP: Texans gave up 51 points. Bad defense.
I know next to nothing about defense so it's hard for me to comment on that one. But the thing I was always taught about defense was the most important things are effort, desire, and attitude on that side of the ball. If I'm basing anything off of that, then I'd say any defense can work in any type of weather.

I know next to nothing about defense so it's hard for me to comment on that one. But the thing I was always taught about defense was the most important things are effort, desire, and attitude on that side of the ball. If I'm basing anything off of that, then I'd say any defense can work in any type of weather.
Effort, desire, and attitude are vital at every position on the field, defense and offense both. I would add intelligence to that list of intangible qualities.

It is my impression that most fans are hyper-focused on the capability of Frost's offense when IMHO Nebraska's defense has clearly been the team's weakness and the biggest obstacle to future success.

Effort, desire, and attitude are vital at every position on the field, defense and offense both. I would add intelligence to that list of intangible qualities.

It is my impression that most fans are hyper-focused on the capability of Frost's offense when IMHO Nebraska's defense has clearly been the team's weakness and the biggest obstacle to future success.
You're not wrong

Cold, cold, cold. Never once heard TO refer to cold, but wind effect in the passing game? Maybe that.
Understand,TO didn't run wr screens, many quick slants, wheel routes etc. short passing game was very limited in his offense. He did some, but few.
In his old offense, it was mostly mid to long ball

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT